Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 25, 2023 1:28 PM
Sep 2021
In the season three announcement it says the first season adapted the first NINE volumes of the LN and so I looked on Bookwalker to see if maybe each volume is exceptionally short, but they don't seem to be. Based on what other series have done I would expect 25 episodes would adapt four or five light novel volumes, so I am curious as to just how much content had to be skipped in order to cover nine volumes in 25 episodes?
Mar 25, 2023 1:39 PM
Dec 2021
As far as I know, they are adapting volume 5 in the third season
Mar 25, 2023 1:48 PM
Jul 2021
Adaptations were good if that is what you want to ask. But they did miss some stuff that, even if not crucial, could still be pretty important. If you wanna know exactly what there is a guide on reddit from what I remember.
Mar 25, 2023 1:50 PM
Jul 2020
Bejitto said:
As far as I know, they are adapting volume 5 in the third season

not volume 5 but Arc 5 of ReZero

i heard arc 5 starts from vol.16 of LN
Mar 25, 2023 1:50 PM

Apr 2022
mostly details, that give you a better understanding of the world and side charakters, as well as inner monologues of Subaru, which make him more understandable in his actions
Mar 25, 2023 1:52 PM
Jul 2020
Radusili said:
Adaptations were good if that is what you want to ask. But they did miss some stuff that, even if not crucial, could still be pretty important. If you wanna know exactly what there is a guide on reddit from what I remember.

Yeah they probably did skip a lot but it didn't ever feel like we're missing anything plot wise so I'm not that worried for the future adaptations
Mar 25, 2023 1:59 PM
Aug 2022
babybob3 said:
In the season three announcement it says the first season adapted the first NINE volumes of the LN and so I looked on Bookwalker to see if maybe each volume is exceptionally short, but they don't seem to be. Based on what other series have done I would expect 25 episodes would adapt four or five light novel volumes, so I am curious as to just how much content had to be skipped in order to cover nine volumes in 25 episodes?

actually I think they adapt arc wise. as you can see on Wikipedia of Re zero it says it has 9 arcs and 2 side story till now and they are released in form of light novel
Mar 25, 2023 2:03 PM
Aug 2022
I think they are adaptation arc 5 and arc 6 also. According to visual released , there are some character from arc 6 also.
Mar 25, 2023 2:09 PM
Feb 2022
cant wait for this
Mar 25, 2023 2:23 PM
Sep 2021
Thanks, I guess what I wanted to know was how important the skipped content is and if I should read the LN before season 3 airs. I had already planned on reading this series at some point but I think I'll read it next and hopefully catch up to the anime by the time season 3 airs.
Mar 25, 2023 2:28 PM
Dec 2021
Probably the most important scenes include:
The scene where we find out that Aldebaran is also Japanese just like Subaru and came to the ReZero world approximately 18 years ago, and he had something to do with Ram in his past
Felt and the possibility that she is part of the royal family
Otto and him using magic
Mar 25, 2023 2:28 PM

Jun 2021
I'm pretty sure that the first 11 (12 if you consider that episode 1 is double length) episodes of s1 covered about 3 LN volumes, (arcs 1 and 2) then the 14 after that covered another 6 volumes (arc 3). There wasn't much cut content in arcs 1 and 2 as far as I'm aware, but there was a decent amount of cut content in arc 3. You can read this for a quick overview. https://witchculttranslation.com/cut-content/
Mar 25, 2023 2:32 PM

Jun 2021
babybob3 said:
Thanks, I guess what I wanted to know was how important the skipped content is and if I should read the LN before season 3 airs. I had already planned on reading this series at some point but I think I'll read it next and hopefully catch up to the anime by the time season 3 airs.
The only really relevant thing to this season that was cut is that Al is also from Japan, he was summoned I think 20 years ago before Subaru was. Feel free to read the novels anyways though to catch up, I think it'll definitely help you get a better connection to the series while also getting to read cut content. The only problem is that the official english light novel translation are kinda shit, but it's not a huge deal.
Mar 25, 2023 2:41 PM
Feb 2021
Radusili said:

Ahh ok, cuz I always felt there was a bit missing in terms of world building and other details that just felt like they were missing although I wouldn’t know what they are since I haven’t read the LN
Mar 25, 2023 8:06 PM

Aug 2017
Oh right. The fabled missing loop. They basically merged loops together in arc 3. Basically it's just improved pacing not anything that actually got skipped. Thing is even between the web novel and lightnovel there were changes like that where whole plot elements were added or removed to improve the pacing.
Mar 27, 2023 7:27 PM
Nov 2022
mohamedo_abuduru said:
babybob3 said:
The only really relevant thing to this season that was cut is that Al is also from Japan, he was summoned I think 20 years ago before Subaru was. Feel free to read the novels anyways though to catch up, I think it'll definitely help you get a better connection to the series while also getting to read cut content. The only problem is that the official english light novel translation are kinda shit, but it's not a huge deal.

What makes the official translation bad? Is there a better place to read?
Mar 28, 2023 5:55 AM
Mar 2020
i don't remember all, but here are some of those—

1) Garfiel should have been introduced in the the Second arc i.e. Mansion Arc.

2) Royal selection was entirely different in the novels. It was done astronomically better compared to the anime. Also, Subaru confronts Roswaal in the novels unlike the anime. Julius show enimity towards both Subaru and Al.

3) The little boy walking behind Priscilla in S3 trailer became a background character in the anime.

4) Subaru mentioning his Parents etc.

5) Subaru was having difficulty lifting one of his arms due to being cursed/beaten by the dogs. if i remember correctly, the anime doesn't mention that his curses inflicted by the wulgrams doesn't get removed.

5) Priscilla knows that Al and Subaru are from different world.

6) There was a chase scene in the alleys with Priscilla,Subaru and the goons.

7) Old man Rom's name being Cromwell.

8) Unlike the anime, in the novels Priscilla waits for Subaru to come. Also, Roswaal instructing Rem.

9) Al gets angry when he learns that Rem was not Ram and a sister of Ram exist.

10) Massacre of Elves around the world by the Witch Cult.

11) Felt looks like the dead Royal Family.

12) The name of the Dragon is never mentioned in the anime.

13) The Black snake was first mentioned in the royal selection and Great Rabbit of the 2nd season was first mention by Julius. Also, Valgren was cut from the anime.

14) The Vice-captain of the knights.

15) Rem hated Emilia and barely talked with her before Subaru's arrival.

16) Subaru built a shrine for the Wolgrams, because he couldn't deal with their killings. Also, mainly because he killed one himself.
Hence, his killing intent becomes more impactful in the novels in the 3rd arc

17) Beatrice mentions her mother.

18) Puck first introduces Echidna in the story when he confronts Petelgeuse (Ep 16)

19) Fourier Lugunica and his relationship with Crusch and Felix was cut from the anime.

20) We only hear the name of Kararagi in the anime. The other two Great nations name—Vollachia and Gusteko was cut from the anime. Gusteko was where Otto was planning to sell his oil.

21) Otto and Subaru's chat in the carriage. Their friendship has a better buildup.

22) The fights scenes with Petelguese and his fingers and other witch cultists were amazing in the novels. Also, stuff about how it is difficult to find other witch cultist and why.

23) The destruction of Gakla Fort City and killing of Kurgan by the Archbishop of Greed. Julius mentions this after they part with Rem to fight Petelgeuse. This was cut in S2 too.

24) Shadow garden was shown only once in the anime.

25) Petelgeuse calls Subaru dangerous.

26) Dragon Blood, Length of the Royal Selection etc.

27) Subaru doesn't solve the flower illusion of Ram immediately in the novels.

28) Subaru's guilt of sending the expedition team to their death.

Also, in ep 16 unlike the anime where upon teleported by Beatrice in the anime he comes across directly with the Witch cult.
In the novels he after being teleported by Beatrice, carries Emilia's body to Petelgeuse.
His walk in the forest carrying Emilia in the novels and laughing at Petelgeuse is my favourite moment of Arc 3 which was cut from the anime in ep 16.
Mar 28, 2023 12:36 PM

Jun 2021
CallMeBigAppa said:
mohamedo_abuduru said:

What makes the official translation bad? Is there a better place to read?
This is the problem with trying to read re:zero, the unlicensed web novel has a large dedicated and skilled group of translators who are basically keeping pace with the japanese web novel, so I would recommend reading that, except arcs 2 and 3 aren't translated (most of anime s1) and also there are changes made from the web novel to light novel (web novel is basically a draft, although an extremely good one) and although most of the changes are generally insignificant, there's really important changes too. So then the natural choice would be to read the light novel, but the translation is low effort and low quality, and incredibly slow. English release is like a dozen volumes behind, and it keeps getting even further behind. I would generally recommend just reading the web novel, and then looking at an overview of any light novel changes. If you don't have a lot of time to spend on the series then the light novel is probably preferable though, web novel arcs 4-6 alone are like 6500 pages, whereas the light novel is probably a little over half that.

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.