Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2022 7:21 AM
Sep 2018
I recently bought the first volume and i have been enjoying it so far. I decided to go and buy the rest of the volumes but after some research, theres apparently only 6 volumes. Is the 7th volume an issue from MAL? Or is there actually a 7th volume which i can't find?
Dec 28, 2022 8:36 AM

Jan 2017
WylieMaster said:
Or is there actually a 7th volume which i can't find?

There is indeed a 7th Volume in this series of Novel.
It's titled Akatsuki No Ouji - Tasogare no Shoujo , but i don't think it got translated into English.

However , it's an adaptation of a Wii Game , so some fans don't consider it to really be part of this series , especially since there is 3 others Novel adaptations of some Games , which are ignored by MAL. (+ This Novel isn't even done by the same Author...)
It's also the reason as to why it isn't in the series of Viz.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Dec 28, 2022 8:48 AM
Sep 2018
Alexioos95 said:
WylieMaster said:
Or is there actually a 7th volume which i can't find?

There is indeed a 7th Volume in this series of Novel.
It's titled Akatsuki No Ouji - Tasogare no Shoujo , but i don't think it got translated into English.

However , it's an adaptation of a Wii Game , so some fans don't consider it to really be part of this series , especially since there is 3 others Novel adaptations of some Games , which are ignored by MAL. (+ This Novel isn't even done by the same Author...)
It's also the reason as to why it isn't in the series of Viz.
Prince of dawn... hmm do you know how faithful the wii game is to the novel?

i want to check out the story anyways. i don't mind translating it myself if i need too but if the wii game is faithful, i'll go through that instead

edit: wait so the wii game came first or the novel?
WylieMasterDec 28, 2022 8:53 AM
Dec 28, 2022 8:58 AM

Jan 2017
WylieMaster said:
do you know how faithful the wii game is to the novel?

Nope.
Actually i didn't played the Game or read the Novel. (Even the 6 first Novels)

WylieMaster said:
wait so the wii game came first or the novel?

The Game.
The Novel came out around 1 year after it.

Edit : Also , it seems the Novel is an adaptation of Daughter Of Dusk , the direct Sequel to Prince Of Dawn.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Dec 28, 2022 9:04 AM
Sep 2018
Alexioos95 said:
WylieMaster said:
do you know how faithful the wii game is to the novel?

Nope.
Actually i didn't played the Game or read the Novel. (Even the 6 first Novels)

WylieMaster said:
wait so the wii game came first or the novel?

The Game.
The Novel came out around 1 year after it.

Edit : Also , it seems the Novel is an adaptation of Daughter Of Dusk , the direct Sequel to Prince Of Dawn.
oh i guess that what the "Tasogare no Shoujo" in the title means then.

Anyways cheers. you've been great help
Mar 19, 2023 6:16 AM

Mar 2012
Actually thank you, this was so confusing. I bought volumes 1-5 forever ago while I was still in high school and have been meaning to pick up Vol 6... and I looked up a list of the light novels and couldn't figure out what Vol 7 referred to. It's so weird that a) a novelization of one of the games is considered to be a part of the same series and b) that none of the other game novelizations are included. Where is the line?! Who made that decision?!

But yeah this clarifies things, I appreciate it.
MoonSpiderMar 19, 2023 6:22 AM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 19, 2023 6:34 AM

Jan 2017
MoonSpider16 said:
It's so weird that a) a novelization of one of the games is considered to be a part of the same series and b) that none of the other game novelizations are included. Where is the line?! Who made that decision?!

From what i could find , there is 3 Novels adapting Games outside of Akatsuki no Ouji - Tasogare no Shoujo : Tobenai Tenshi , Akaki Erikushiru no Akuma and Kami wo Tsugu Shoujo.)
Those 3 are considered as 1 series and are numbered in Japan , but they are labelled as "Game Books" rather than "Light Novels" (contrary to Akatsuki no Ouji - Tasogare no Shoujo) , which is most probably why they weren't added to the database of MAL.

As for Akatsuki no Ouji - Tasogare no Shoujo being included as the 7th Volume of this entry , it's because thoses 6 Novels aren't numbered , so MAL applies its guidelines.
II.5 Light Novels
Non-numbered volumes of the same series published sequentially will be treated as numbered volumes and combined in one entry, unless they are specifically designated as sequels.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 20, 2023 1:51 PM

Mar 2012
Alexioos95 said:
MoonSpider16 said:
It's so weird that a) a novelization of one of the games is considered to be a part of the same series and b) that none of the other game novelizations are included. Where is the line?! Who made that decision?!
Those 3 are considered as 1 series and are numbered in Japan , but they are labelled as "Game Books" rather than "Light Novels" 
Oki but why isn't Vol 7 also considered a game book? Because it's also a game novelization like the others

Mar 20, 2023 2:08 PM

Jan 2017
MoonSpider16 said:
Oki but why isn't Vol 7 also considered a game book? Because it's also a game novelization like the others

Dunno.

Maybe they realized that a "Light Novel" is easier to sell than a "Game Book".
Gangan Online was launched only a few years prior to this 4th Novel (and way after the 3rd) , so maybe it also played a role in this decision ?
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 21, 2023 8:31 AM

Mar 2012
Alexioos95 said:
MoonSpider16 said:

Dunno.

Maybe they realized that a "Light Novel" is easier to sell than a "Game Book".
Gangan Online was launched only a few years prior to this 4th Novel (and way after the 3rd) , so maybe it also played a role in this decision ?
I'm talking about by MAL standards, not whatever language they used to sell it in Japan. Unless MAL works solely off their word on that? If so, yikes.
MoonSpiderMar 21, 2023 8:34 AM

Mar 21, 2023 10:32 AM

Jan 2017
MoonSpider16 said:
Unless MAL works solely off their word on that? If so, yikes.

Yikes then.
The entirety of the database of MAL is based on the officials communications of the works. (Volumes/Chapters count , Entry type , Start/End dates , Names , Cover picture...)
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jul 14, 2023 1:17 PM

Nov 2017
Hello, I'm not very aware of FMA english releases but with the french first publishings, it's easier to figure.
As OP said, the main "line" of FMA light novels is composed of 6 volumes:

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Land of Sand. (5 chapters + a 1-chapter-long story)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Abducted Alchemist. (5 chapters)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Valley of White Petals. (6 chapters)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Under the Faraway Sky. (2 chapters)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Ties That Bind. (6 chapters)
Fullmetal Alchemist: A New Beginning. (7 chapters + a 2-chapters-long story)

So far we're at 34 chapters and the 35th one should be the 0th volume about Roy Mustang, a 1-chapter-long being an observation report written by Mustang himself, with a postface written by Ltn. Havoc. It was featured as a bonus gift with the first print of idk which volume of FMA french's first print. You can find more informations (at least about the french volume) here: https://booknode.com/fullmetal_alchemist_tome_0_flame_alchemist_0101004

Fyi, there have been a total of 3 "volume 0", one being a sketchbook, one being a compilation of humoristic 4komas and the last one is this Mustang's book. Every one distributed as bonus booklets.

I hope my comment will also bring an answer to those who already participated.
Jul 14, 2023 1:26 PM

Nov 2017
And for the other FMA books. There have been 4 novels inspired of books, and 3 books inspired of the recent trash live action movie.

The novelizations of the PS2 games, 1 book per game:
-FMA, The Broken angel: Amazon jp link
-FMA, The Cursed Elixir: Amazon jp link
-FMA, The Girl who succeeds God: Amazon jp link

And the novelization of the Wii games, in 1 book:
-FMA, The prince of dawn and The twilight girl Amazon jp link

The novelizations of the live action movie:
-FMA Amazon jp link
-Scar the revenger Amazon jp link
-The Last Transmutation Amazon jp link
BenjaminJuniorJul 14, 2023 1:31 PM

More topics from this board

» English Translations

MoonSpider - Sep 4, 2012

6 by MoonSpider »»
Feb 14, 2023 11:08 PM

» so... wtf is this?

blockhead - Feb 27, 2008

14 by removed-user »»
May 27, 2021 11:52 AM

infernohit - Nov 4, 2010

2 by ss4gojetanks »»
Jul 11, 2011 1:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.