Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2022 2:11 PM
Aug 2022
Amidst the large amount of teenager main characters that are immature, spoiled, and insecure, it was quite enjoyable to see how Shuu is well resolved, mature and wise.

He doesn't let any pessimistic opinion or bad mood drain his willpower or resolve.
He doesn't waste his time whining, lamenting or feeling self-pity, and
He does never falter to use any opportunity at hand to make a comeback.

I've seen some people here complaining about him being "unrealistic".
If those people want strict realism, I wonder why they're looking for it in a fantasy/sci-fi anime.

Aside of sheer entertainement, I think fiction and fictional characters can serve, to some extend, as source of inspiration to the audience and Shuu was a damn good example of maturity and perseverance for the audience of this show.

To think that there are people who would prefer him to be another crybaby anime main character, is beyond me.
Sep 3, 2022 3:56 PM

Jun 2022
Ahhhh the Isekai that breaks you one by one and really it is the only GOOD isekai out there as well acts different from what we have today
Sep 3, 2022 5:04 PM

Apr 2020
He's not mature. That's kinda the whole point of his character. He's the classic, happy go lucky, pure hearted boy that goes saving the day, by charging head first into danger, innocently only thinking about helping others.

Aside from him not beeing a "crybaby" , I don't really see your point. Yes. He's not Subaru. You're right.

He's every heroic/energetic Boy I've seen a hundred times over, in this sort of setting. Only difference is that this character templet wasn't as prominent yet, when this Show was airing...maybe..., which makes it somewhat influencial.

If anything the "Crybaby" is more fresh and a bit more complex, than the ever strong, kind hearted and motivated Hero-Boy, for me.
Sep 4, 2022 10:25 AM
Aug 2022
Merve2Love said:
He's not mature. That's kinda the whole point of his character. He's the classic, happy go lucky, pure hearted boy that goes saving the day, by charging head first into danger, innocently only thinking about helping others.

If he was just a naive boy, once he has gone through that much suffering, he would lose his composure and fall in bewilderment, but, as we can see in the show, that's not the case at all. How is this not a trait of maturity?

Merve2Love said:

Aside from him not beeing a "crybaby" , I don't really see your point. Yes. He's not Subaru. You're right.

He's every heroic/energetic Boy I've seen a hundred times over, in this sort of setting. Only difference is that this character templet wasn't as prominent yet, when this Show was airing...maybe..., which makes it somewhat influencial.

I can recollect some examples of strong-willed main characters, but the conflicts they face usually revolves around personal ambitions or trifling issues (I can't feel much sympathy for them), or the world where their story takes place has too much fantastical elements (I can't take their problems seriously) and they're confident, not necessarily because they're mature or wise, but just because they're very skilled in something specific (usually, martial arts), if for some reason, they would lost this skill, their reason to be confident is gone.

On the other hand, "Now and Then, Here and There" and its main character make a more unique anime in a way that this series sets a very gloomy tone because it revolves around some serious problems of our real world (local wars in poor countries). A lot of sad things happen, but thanks to the main character's mindset and composure, the experience of watching the show doesn't turn into a sea of sadness and hopelessness, and given such a serious circumstance he is in, I feel much more compelled to root for him and much more satisfied whenever he makes a comeback than I usually would do whenever any other usual archetype of strong-willed protagonist do the same in another anime.
Dd5Sep 4, 2022 10:38 AM
Sep 4, 2022 10:49 AM

Apr 2020
Dd5 said:
Merve2Love said:

If he was just a naive boy, once he has gone through that much suffering, he would lose his composure and fall in bewilderment, but, as we can see in the show, that's not the case at all. How is this not a trait of maturity?

Merve2Love said:

I can recollect some examples of strong-willed main characters, but the conflicts they face usually revolves around personal ambitions or trifling issues (I can't feel much sympathy for them), or the world where their story takes place has too much fantastical elements (I can't take their problems seriously) and they're confident, not necessarily because they're mature or wise, but just because they're very skilled in something specific (usually, martial arts), if for some reason, they would lost this skill, their reason to be confident is gone.

On the other hand, "Now and Then, Here and There" and its main character make a more unique anime in a way that this series sets a very gloomy tone because it revolves around some serious problems of our real world (local wars in poor countries). A lot of sad things happen, but thanks to the main character's mindset and composure, the experience of watching the show doesn't turn into a sea of sadness and hopelessness, and given such a serious circumstance he is in, I feel much more compelled to root for him and much more satisfied whenever he makes a comeback than I usually would do whenever any other usual archetype of strong-willed protagonist do the same in another anime.

Jesus....you're weirding me out o.O

I wasn't in for a lecture on thoughts that only really matter in your own head xD ...I don't know you, my dude.

Have some consideration, here^^
I was giving my 2 Cents for the Topic and that's it ... No need for another wall of Text full of your own, made up facts...
Sep 4, 2022 12:02 PM
Aug 2022
Merve2Love said:

I wasn't in for a lecture on thoughts that only really matter in your own head xD ...I don't know you, my dude.

I was giving my 2 Cents for the Topic and that's it ... No need for another wall of Text full of your own, made up facts...

I just gave more detailed explanation because you highlighted that you "didn't see my point".
Anything written in these forums is about personal thoughts, likes and dislikes that only matter, beforehand, to the respective author of the post.
You can relate to it or not.
Dd5Sep 4, 2022 12:15 PM
Sep 4, 2022 12:29 PM

Apr 2020
Dd5 said:
Merve2Love said:

I just gave more detailed explanation because you highlighted that you "didn't see my point".
Anything written in these forums is about personal thoughts, likes and dislikes that only matter, beforehand, to the respective author of the post.
You can relate to it or not.

Much Love <3

Just not for me, this one
Nov 3, 2022 2:12 AM

Mar 2017
Merve2Love said:

Lol, it's not influential. The characters, by design, parallel the cast of Mirai Shounen Conan, a show that predates it by two decades. Shu is a shallower version of Conan, with a stick instead of a spear.
Nov 3, 2022 9:35 AM

Apr 2020
protosheis said:
Merve2Love said:

Lol, it's not influential. The characters, by design, parallel the cast of Mirai Shounen Conan, a show that predates it by two decades. Shu is a shallower version of Conan, with a stick instead of a spear.

Nobody denied that the Shonen-Genre existed, during it's runtime.

The word "somewhat" is important.

That Conan Stuff? Just what you're thinking, not really a fact or based on anything but your personal opinion^^

GG
Jul 1, 2023 6:53 PM

Aug 2020
Really? He gotta be one of the most BLAND and POINTLESS characters I have ever seen in all my time watching anime. The anime as a whole is messy.

Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to KitsuFrost
Really? He gotta be one of the most BLAND and POINTLESS characters I have ever seen in all my time watching anime. The anime as a whole is messy.
@KitsuFrost
Even though the anime portrays very tragic events, the protagonist's assertiveness and willingness to take action makes up for a inspiring and uplifting story at the end of the day. If the protagonist wasn't like this, what would be the whole point to make a show with such a dark tone like this one? Just to make the viewer feels sadness and hopelessness for the sake of it? This is what would really be pointless. Thankfully, the protagonist fits perfectly in the show and serves rightly for a wholesome purpose.

This anime is pretty neat. I've seen some people trying to point out some suppose "plot holes", but I'm think they're mistaken.
There are explanation for everything, but some explanations are not explicitly conveyed, it is let to be inferred by the viewer instead, and this is also something to be
praised because it means that the show does not underestimate the viewer's intelligence.
Dd5Oct 31, 2023 9:24 AM

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM

» Why is everyone against Sara’s decision in the final episode?

ShogunofSorrow12 - Mar 13, 2022

5 by Stripes »»
Jun 21, 2023 5:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.