Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2022 6:38 PM
Oct 2015
is there a reason why this has such a low rating only on MAL?
it seems rated very high everywhere else,

is it because people didn't like the nudity or something?
i know the MAL really doesn't like shows like interspecies reviewers (the whole drama caused by it)

because I don't see how objectively this could get such a low score here otherwise while high everywhere else
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 15, 2022 7:02 PM
May 2022
Because of the demographics probably.
The movie is a 90s gem, no doubt about it, but the anime comunity is nowadays more invested in isekai or slice of life.
Aug 15, 2022 10:26 PM
Mar 2021
I love it as an enjoyable fun dumb action flick. But it is VERY flawed
Generic and 1 dimensional characters, with a. Very predictable and generic plot. Very surface level themes
The things I love about is tge atmosphere and that 80/90s anime aesthetic. Also the violence and gore of course
But yeah, I can def understand the low rating
Aug 16, 2022 8:53 AM
May 2022
gusmeistr said:
Kunasempai said:
Because of the demographics probably.
The movie is a 90s gem, no doubt about it, but the anime comunity is nowadays more invested in isekai or slice of life.

But that would likely imply the demographic hasn't watched it, so they aren't the ones giving it a low score I don't think.

My guess is the people that watch some of the older stuff may be more critical or objective than the viewers of modern mainstream anime. It is strange to me seeing things like spy x family scoring higher than Akira.

I'm being hypocritical here because I don't rate anime objectively either. It's just something I watch for fun to enjoy the artstyles etc.

Sure That's what I meant with the demographics on mal. Wicked city is too different to an anime movie of the 2010s, and that probably dropped the rating.
Though I wouldn't consider wicked city a masterpiece either, but a fun watch full of 80 -90s traits
Aug 16, 2022 2:14 PM
Dec 2021
24846 said:
I love it as an enjoyable fun dumb action flick. But it is VERY flawed
Generic and 1 dimensional characters, with a. Very predictable and generic plot. Very surface level themes
The things I love about is tge atmosphere and that 80/90s anime aesthetic. Also the violence and gore of course
But yeah, I can def understand the low rating

i completely agree. i really enjoyed watching it but i could not rate it super high because of the things you mentioned… ESPECIALLY the boring characters. That was the most damning for me personally.
Aug 17, 2022 3:14 PM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.

You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime. MAL has implemented a new system to take care of boosting/downvoting accounts automatically. You can read more about it here. You do not have to worry about the score being influenced by them. If it is influenced, it will be fixed after a few days.

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wicked City Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Aug 2, 2010

42 by NeoPlayz »»
Mar 27, 10:13 AM

» Lightning Clock's intervention in Time/Space?

StellaKnife - Mar 29, 2009

2 by oyabuntaro »»
Jun 1, 2019 11:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.