Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 13, 2022 3:39 PM

Feb 2018
Ok, I started this series because I've loved most of the Gundam I've seen. Wing was my first and favorite, Orphans is the one I feel ended being the most enjoyable, Seed was cool even if I took a while to grow on me. Hathaway took my breath away.

Then I loathed Unicorn (seen 1 hour) and the original Gundam was meh (seen 6 episodes), but I acknowledge its historical value.

But then there is 00. I've seen 4 episodes so far, but I've planned to watch at least 6, but so far, it has been an snooze fest.

I see many people praise it, the series has a 8.0+. its a long series, so they might be taking their time to get it going. I want to give it an honest try, but also some insight from those who like it.

So, here is what I think is very bland so far and I'd like to know if it will get better... of if something I haven't mentioned will become the main dish on the story.

1. Bland animation.
I know, for it's time it was very kick ass, I can see that. But for today standard its pretty uninspiring, the choreography is bland (and I don't think that's was good for its age considering Eureka Seven had more dynamism 3 years before).

2. No character development
I know this might be an issue because I'm early on the series; but take G Wing for example, we get a clear idea of the main protagonist personalities early on, even with the original MSG. I've read a post pointing out that the pilots don't get developed... but anyone else? is it even worth it?

3. Too many characters
I don't mind they introduce too many characters at once, but they should remain on the background until they get properly introduced. Instead they get some dull lines every once in a while during each episode. Those lines don't develop any character and take focus out of the progress of the story. Will this pay off on the long run?

4. The goal from the start is a little out of focus
OK, big goal: stop wars wherever there is war. Early on, the viewer barely understands Celestial Being, even less their villains, because the main villain is an idea, and because we don't know much of the world aside from the factions created, is hard to care, it's hard to focus the attention. Will it get amore laser focused goal? Or will this abstract goal pay off?

BiobulletMJun 14, 2022 6:28 AM
Jun 13, 2022 5:51 PM
Nov 2014
I may not be the best judge of the Gundam series, because before 00 I watched only Orphans, which blew my mind honestly. But 00 is among the most disappointing series I watched in total. It took me a long time to finish, and it was quite a pain. Boring, minimum character development (not the main guy though), each arc pretty much copy-paste of the previous. I am writing it from the perspective of time, but still, the lingering feeling of boredom still prevails. I also don't buy the high scores on MAL
Jun 14, 2022 7:32 AM

Oct 2015
BiobulletM said:
Ok, I started this series because I've loved most of the Gundam I've seen. Wing was my first and favorite, Orphans is the one I feel ended being the most enjoyable, Seed was cool even if I took a while to grow on me. Hathaway took my breath away.

Then I loathed Unicorn (seen 1 hour) and the original Gundam was meh (seen 6 episodes), but I acknowledge its historical value.

But then there is 00. I've seen 4 episodes so far, but I've planned to watch at least 6, but so far, it has been an snooze fest.

I see many people praise it, the series has a 8.0+. its a long series, so they might be taking their time to get it going. I want to give it an honest try, but also some insight from those who like it.

So, here is what I think is very bland so far and I'd like to know if it will get better... of if something I haven't mentioned will become the main dish on the story.

1. Bland animation.
I know, for it's time it was very kick ass, I can see that. But for today standard its pretty uninspiring, the choreography is bland (and I don't think that's was good for its age considering Eureka Seven had more dynamism 3 years before).

2. No character development
I know this might be an issue because I'm early on the series; but take G Wing for example, we get a clear idea of the main protagonist personalities early on, even with the original MSG. I've read a post pointing out that the pilots don't get developed... but anyone else? is it even worth it?

3. Too many characters
I don't mind they introduce too many characters at once, but they should remain on the background until they get properly introduced. Instead they get some dull lines every once in a while during each episode. Those lines don't develop any character and take focus out of the progress of the story. Will this pay off on the long run?

4. The goal from the start is a little out of focus
OK, big goal: stop wars wherever there is war. Early on, the viewer barely understands Celestial Being, even less their villains, because the main villain is an idea, and because we don't know much of the world aside from the factions created, is hard to care, it's hard to focus the attention. Will it get amore laser focused goal? Or will this abstract goal pay off?

To answer yout question:
1. CGI is still at infancy at that time.
2. Most of the character development are in S2, as it is more focused on the characters maturing and clearing up the mess they created in S1.
3. Some of the characters will be killed off, as mentioned above, most of the character development are in S2.
4. S1 is more focused on politics, real world issues such as depletion of fossil fuels, conflicts, etc. These are very common in Gundam. Gundam is a war story, not giant robots blowing shit up rainbow style. The most common message in Gundam are about war being hell and should be avoided at all cost. You will notice this messages if you watch most of the UC Gundam anime.

Hope this answers your questions. By the way, Hathaway is the son of Bright Noa, the captain of the White Base from the original Gundam.
Jun 14, 2022 12:09 PM
Feb 2018
It’s been a while so I may be off but, I actually felt that the character design & animation were pretty good. What I like about G00 is that it sort of goes in the direction of LOTGH & Code Geass in that it gets more into political drama than prior Gundam titles.
Jun 15, 2022 12:10 PM

Feb 2018
Thanks for your answers everyone, I've watched up to ep8 and is more enjoyable now that I know I shouldn't expect character development. It helped than ep5 shed some of the stupid dialogue lines from "cameo" characters. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

NewestPersonHere said:
By the way, Hathaway is the son of Bright Noa, the captain of the White Base from the original Gundam.

Yep, I knew that, thats why I tried watching the original Gundam.

BTW, back to G00. Did I miss the part when they sanction or do something about the girl that attacked the orbital ring? I mean, we're to believe that is a very important thing for the world, but pieces of it got destroyed and it doesn't get any mention at least up to what I've seen.
BiobulletMJun 15, 2022 12:15 PM
Jul 23, 2022 5:51 AM
May 2021
You are not alone in this.
I made to 15 ep and i am thinking about dropping it.

Politics and military should be main theme of this series and imo Sunrise didn't deliver. Only Ardistan issue was quite decent but that's all what i got from this series.
There is no consequence in decisions that were made by certain politcians e.g. destroying civilian infrastructure,
and so on.

And military stuff?! AA defence system doesn't exist in this world as well as BVR missiles and high range radars. Strategist are dumbass who are fighting in meelee range when their mechs have missiles and laser beams (and i am talking about both sides in conflicts). Seriously, humans made large solar energy structures with space elevators and there was still need to deploy low range comm thingies aka space debris just to capture radar interferences generated by Gundams.
It's 23/24 century and they are still fighting in quasi WWI/WWII doctrine.
I would be fine with it if it was somehow explained why they do that in certain way, but they didn't do that neither.

The final straw was ep 15
Whole immersion just fade out at this point.

As its turns out, the main plot of this series was about capturing gundams. I am just dissappointed.

The EDS and OPs were quite decent, though.
SzaraWydraJul 23, 2022 6:05 AM
Jul 25, 2022 2:20 PM

Feb 2018
SzaraWydra said:
You are not alone in this.
I made to 15 ep and i am thinking about dropping it.

Politics and military should be main theme of this series and imo Sunrise didn't deliver. Only Ardistan issue was quite decent but that's all what i got from this series.
There is no consequence in decisions that were made by certain politcians e.g. destroying civilian infrastructure,
and so on.

And military stuff?! AA defence system doesn't exist in this world as well as BVR missiles and high range radars. Strategist are dumbass who are fighting in meelee range when their mechs have missiles and laser beams (and i am talking about both sides in conflicts). Seriously, humans made large solar energy structures with space elevators and there was still need to deploy low range comm thingies aka space debris just to capture radar interferences generated by Gundams.
It's 23/24 century and they are still fighting in quasi WWI/WWII doctrine.
I would be fine with it if it was somehow explained why they do that in certain way, but they didn't do that neither.

The final straw was ep 15
Whole immersion just fade out at this point.

As its turns out, the main plot of this series was about capturing gundams. I am just dissappointed.

The EDS and OPs were quite decent, though.

I finished this series (only season 1), and you aren't missing anything. Most of the non-sense stays the same. For a Gundam praised for its political themes, it sure hands them pretty superficially even for a child-entry into the subject.
Aug 6, 2022 8:34 PM

Aug 2020
Fyi i thought Wing was the shitty one and ngl, i lowkey thought the "your opinion's invalid" the moment i see you said "bland animation" coz it's the exact opposite even by today's standards. Also you might wanna broaden your perspective by not having a list of must-criterias such as "character development" and whatnot. Just let them do what they do. That way you'll enjoy all kinds of anime.
Aug 10, 2022 2:36 PM

Feb 2018
TRC_Randy said:
Fyi i thought Wing was the shitty one and ngl, i lowkey thought the "your opinion's invalid" the moment i see you said "bland animation" coz it's the exact opposite even by today's standards. Also you might wanna broaden your perspective by not having a list of must-criterias such as "character development" and whatnot. Just let them do what they do. That way you'll enjoy all kinds of anime.

It's not only character development, its also poor political themes development (more like child entry level of political themes), bad pacing, poor dialogues (it's more evident in early episodes when they want to force in all the cast).

I know my opinion of GW can be biased because it's what I watched on my childhood. It's not perfect, and I know it had it easier by being a series with twice the length of 00
Feb 25, 7:28 AM
Dec 2019
Reply to BiobulletM
TRC_Randy said:

It's not only character development, its also poor political themes development (more like child entry level of political themes), bad pacing, poor dialogues (it's more evident in early episodes when they want to force in all the cast).

I know my opinion of GW can be biased because it's what I watched on my childhood. It's not perfect, and I know it had it easier by being a series with twice the length of 00
@BiobulletM Did you ever find out that Wing is an episode shorter than 00 (49 vs 50)?

00 and Wing are also incredibly similar series. It has been a while since I re-watched Wing but everything I remember about it is basically the set-up for 00; the skill gap/roles of the Gundams, most of the MCs being brooding weirdos (Setsuna and Heero in particular are extremely similar); Marina and Relena are quite similar too; the general politics of terrorism vs oppression and whatnot are also easy to draw parallels between the two series.

I'm not really sure how you could fault 00 for having simple and accessible political messaging and then say Wing does it better. Wing does have clear throughlines about aristocracy being shitty and stuff but a lot of it is just pro-wrestling monologues and incoherent rambling before blowing stuff up (especially by Trowa "I'm supposedly a pacifist but love blowing stuff up and killing people" Barton).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Requal - Mar 28, 2008

187 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 27, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KrylonBlue - Mar 7, 2008

108 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 27, 2:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KrylonBlue - Feb 23, 2008

73 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 26, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kurotsuki - Feb 16, 2008

82 by LotteGiants »»
Feb 26, 11:13 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 9 Discussion

cyruz - Dec 2, 2007

44 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 25, 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.