Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 29, 2022 2:38 PM
Mar 2022
In what order should I watch A Certain Magical Index? or should I just watch it on release order?
CheesecakeSundayApr 29, 2022 2:45 PM
Apr 29, 2022 2:52 PM
Sep 2020
Start with Railgun... after that, watch it based on release dated
Apr 29, 2022 3:17 PM
Nov 2021
heres the actual watch order
a certain scientific railgun
a certain scientific railgun S
a certain magical index
a certain scientific accelerator
a certain magical index II
a certain magical index the movie
a certain scientific railgun T
a certain magical index III
Apr 29, 2022 3:28 PM

May 2018
If you ask me you should always watch the broadcast order

Index
Railgun
Index II
Railgun S
Endymion
Index III
Accelerator
Railgun T

Index is the parent story so you should start with that. Railgun is a spin-off designed to expand upon concepts, characters, and events introduced in Index
Apr 29, 2022 3:51 PM

Aug 2020
SawsyMikey said:
heres the actual watch order
a certain scientific railgun
a certain scientific railgun S
a certain magical index
a certain scientific accelerator
a certain magical index II
a certain magical index the movie
a certain scientific railgun T
a certain magical index III

I second this order, do not start with index, it's ruins it.
Call me Ren
Apr 29, 2022 4:05 PM

May 2018
Render_1 said:

How is that ruining anything? Railgun does not even touch on half of the series' universe, if he wants to understand more about the plot and lore he should start with Index first
Apr 29, 2022 4:13 PM

Aug 2020
Dariat said:
Render_1 said:

How is that ruining anything? Railgun does not even touch on half of the series' universe, if he wants to understand more about the plot and lore he should start with Index first

it puts a lot more detail into the repeated arcs and is a much better experience for those arcs, and it won't spoil index, so you can still enjoy the other more important arcs in index afterwards, but that doesn't work the other way round since you know the main arcs in railgun if you watch index first
Call me Ren
Apr 29, 2022 5:57 PM
Mar 2021
CheesecakeSunday said:
In what order should I watch A Certain Magical Index? or should I just watch it on release order?

Take my advice, just watch A certain scientific railgun season 1-3, and read the light novels. A certain magical index anime is quite underwhelming.
Apr 29, 2022 7:58 PM
Jan 2021
I ordered all of the anime episodes into chronological order when I rewatched the entire series. Should be pretty accurate: https://imgur.com/a/Y3C9LAO

But watching for the first time I did all of index first and then all of railgun, finishing up with accelerator.
Apr 29, 2022 8:08 PM
Jan 2021
sulay_hury that chonological order is pretty nuts
Apr 30, 2022 5:07 PM

Oct 2015
A lot of people likes to recommend to watch in chronological order (Railgun S > Index).
DO NOT DO THIS.
RAILGUN IS NOT A PREQUEL TO INDEX.
Railgun is a side story to index, just like Dark Matter, Accelerator, Mental Out (Shoukuhou as a side story too).

You will not fully understand Touma’s actions in Railgun if you do this.

I am aware the Railgun handled Sisters arc better than Index. Well, JC Staff totally mishandled Index.

My advice is to read Index LNs until NT Vol 11 to fully understand Touma and Shokuhou.
Here is what happens if you watch Railgun if you don’t read Index LNs until NT Vol 11:
1) You don’t understand why Touma reacts differently to Misaka when Misaka plays the violin in her dorm.
2) You don’t understand why Misaka is obsessed with fighting Touma.
3) You won’t know why Shirai is injured at the start of Railgun T.
4) You won’t know why Misaka is obsessed with winning Daiheisei.
5) You won’t know why Shokuhou react differently to Touma as compared to other characters, this is only explained in NT Vol 11.
6) You won’t know why Frenda stopped replying to Saten.

Remember to look into Accelerator before starting Railgun T, to understand the scavengers, and why they are so afraid of Level 5s.

My advice is only start Railgun if you have read until Index NT Vol 11.
After Railgun T, there are no more overlaps in Index and Railgun, you can choose to continue with either Railgun manga or Index NT. I enjoyed Index NT LNs more than Railgun manga.
Index NT will focus more on Kamisato and Aleister, which includes the reason of creating Academy City.
Railgun will focus on “breaking into prisons”, which will include characters from Index NT Vol 4.
And then Misaka and Shokuhou’s background in Tokiwadai first year.
Apr 30, 2022 8:48 PM
Aug 2020
I actually have a different suggestion to what other people are saying. It’s a lot more complex but here me out!
If you are choosing to watch it something like Index > Railgun > Index II ect, then the chronology gets very screwy and inconsistent, so I’ve built a full arc by arc chronological order, that completely meshes everything together for the sake of pacing. Here’s a guide with some annotations for some parts:

Railgun 1-14
Railgun OVA: Since Misaka is The Centre of Attention
Index 1-6
Railgun 15-16
Index 7-9
Railgun 17-24
Railgun S 1-16
Index 10-14 (these episodes have the same story as Railgun 11-16, but with a larger focus on different characters. They aren’t too different, although there are some scenes in Index that aren’t in Railgun and vice versa. If you choose to only watch one version, most fans will say that Railgun is better. If that’s your choice, you might want to watch the SECOND clip in this video here which is exclusive to the Index version, as it gives context for a few scenes later in the series: https://youtu.be/PU3aOciQ2VU)
Railgun S 17-24
Index 15-19
Index II 1 (This is actually a continuation of an arc that takes place part way through S1. There isn’t any reason why it was adapted into S2, and watching it here won’t ruin the pacing either.)
Index 20-24
Index II 2-5
Game: Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble (not necessary, basically just a loosely connected epilogue to the movie. All it really amounts to is explaining why Misaka knows a certain character in the movie. Not even fan translated either. If you care THAT much there’s the light novel counterpart called Road to Endymion that you can find online that adapts some of the game’s story, but none that is important.)
Accelerator 1-12
Index II 6-7
Movie: Miracle of Endymion
Index II 8-13
Railgun T 1-15
Index II 14-16
Railgun T 16-25
Index II 16-23
Index III 1-26
May 1, 2022 8:08 AM
Aug 2020
CheesecakeSunday said:

Watch order? There are a few but I started with railgun S1-2, you can watch S3 right after since it’s out now.

After that S1-2 of magical Index, then break off to S1 of a certain scientific accelerator. Finally, come back to S3 of magical index which I think will give off the best experience. Or you know I like this idea cause its the way I watched it and became a massive fan for it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

75 by Rigatoni96 »»
Apr 29, 1:35 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

280 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 9:09 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

darkxdestiny - Mar 12, 2009

142 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:37 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Wasabi - Mar 8, 2009

113 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:11 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Mar 14, 2009

61 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 7:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.