Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2021 10:51 AM
Jan 2021
Just wanted to know what the title says. Do I need to watch all the mobile Gundams before watching this or can I hop right to this one
Nov 10, 2021 11:47 AM
Feb 2016
Yeah, you can hop right to this one and have a good time but might not enjoy it as much without some context from the previous series.
Nov 10, 2021 11:48 AM
Jan 2021
ernirocks said:
Yeah, you can hop right to this one and have a good time but might not enjoy it as much without some context from the previous series.
aight thanks for the info
Nov 11, 2021 1:24 AM
Jan 2021
I’d recommend the series before this one as they are good in there own right. But you can just watch this you just won’t understand everything.
Nov 11, 2021 3:44 AM
May 2020
You don't have to they basically fill you in on the past 17 years in the universal century.
Nov 11, 2021 4:10 AM
Jul 2014
As others have said its not an absolute must to enjoy it but I may as well bring up that you don't have to watch literally everything to enhance the experience, to do so you only need: 1. Mobile suit gundam
2. Mobile suit zeta gundam 3. Mobile suit gundam ZZ and 4. Mobile suit gundam char's counterattack(movie)
Nov 11, 2021 5:11 AM

Feb 2017
I don't agree what others say. There really is no point watching this if you aren't familiar with early Universal Century story. Sure, you will probably enjoy the spectacle, great mecha animation, lasers, music and overall grand production values, but this entry is supposed to "put a dot" on the early Universal Century storyline which started with the original Mobile Suit Gundam and as such it heavily relies and builds upon everything that came before (state of the world, character motivations, etc.). Majority of the enjoyment of fans comes exactly from that. Just hopping into this will probably just make you confused.

Gundam has a lot of good entry points and Unicorn certainly isn't one of them. Best way is to start with original Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) and then go your way through until you reach Unicorn and other later installments. There is really no need to hurry to reach Unicorn. Other entries before it are just as good, if not better.

Or you can also hop into one of many AU Gundams which are entirely standalone, like Gundam 00, After War X, G Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans, etc.
Nov 11, 2021 5:15 AM
Aug 2014
100% yes. If you haven't seen the other UC series you'll have no idea what's happening.
Nov 11, 2021 5:56 AM

Jun 2009
Just think like watching Infinity War. Can you enjoy Infinity War without watching after Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain America: Civil War?
Nov 11, 2021 7:02 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Tsarko said:
I don't agree what others say. There really is no point watching this if you aren't familiar with early Universal Century story. Sure, you will probably enjoy the spectacle, great mecha animation, lasers, music and overall grand production values, but this entry is supposed to "put a dot" on the early Universal Century storyline which started with the original Mobile Suit Gundam and as such it heavily relies and builds upon everything that came before (state of the world, character motivations, etc.). Majority of the enjoyment of fans comes exactly from that. Just hopping into this will probably just make you confused.

Gundam has a lot of good entry points and Unicorn certainly isn't one of them. Best way is to start with original Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) and then go your way through until you reach Unicorn and other later installments. There is really no need to hurry to reach Unicorn. Other entries before it are just as good, if not better.

Or you can also hop into one of many AU Gundams which are entirely standalone, like Gundam 00, After War X, G Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans, etc.

Couldn't of put it better myselfđź‘Ťđź‘Ť.
Oct 19, 2022 8:31 AM

Aug 2013
Tsarko said:

This 100%. The entierty of Unicorn is predicated on the events of 0079-CCA. You can understand what's happening at an extremely basic level without having any of the context but yeah I mean at that point what's the point.

If CCA is early Universal Century's grand finale, Unicorn is the epilogue. A large part of Unicorn's magic are the callbacks and references to all the major events that happened before it.

Point being, if you absolutely had to watch it with zero context you could do it and not be *totally* lost but you very well could find yourself asking a lot of what?where?who?why? And having a lot of the impact and implications go right over your head.

Again, if you're forcing your way to watch Unicorn in that way you're halfway defeating what Unicorn is supposed to be.

So even if you *could* doesn't mean you should.

I always recommend

0079 (I prefer the original series as things are more fleshed out imo but the movie trilogy is typically a fine way to go through 0079 if you're watching subbed...the movie dubs are for the most part pretty putrid as opposed to the series dub which is quite good)
Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
CCA

then head into watching Unicorn.
Jun 30, 2023 5:41 PM
Oct 2014
I've watched the previous series, and my opinion: you probably can watch it as a standalone. The most characters are new ones, and the plot is not directly linked to the prequels.
You will miss a lot of references, but honestly you can figure much of the background just using the common sense (or Google).
Although, the overall impact will be diminished, I think it's hard to recommend watching >100 episodes of prequels if you just want to enjoy Unicorn.
From the other side, the prequels are not so bad, you can get accustomed to the older animation rather quickly. Gundam Zeta is the best, in my opinion.
Jul 8, 2023 6:28 PM

Jul 2012
procion said:
I've watched the previous series, and my opinion: you probably can watch it as a standalone. The most characters are new ones, and the plot is not directly linked to the prequels.
You will miss a lot of references, but honestly you can figure much of the background just using the common sense (or Google).
Although, the overall impact will be diminished, I think it's hard to recommend watching >100 episodes of prequels if you just want to enjoy Unicorn.
From the other side, the prequels are not so bad, you can get accustomed to the older animation rather quickly. Gundam Zeta is the best, in my opinion.
My dude, the plot is quite literally linked to the prequels. Without spoiling what the box is it has major implications for the entire history of the Universal Century (had it actually been written into late UC but Unicorn coming out in 2006 completely fucks with continuity.) You cannot figure out much of the references with common sense and if you need to google things then why even bother watching? Can you just assume what an Axis Shock is? Can you just assume what Lui & Co. is? Do you even give a shit that a guy named Bright is captaining a ship named the Ra Cailum? If you don't care enough to watch this in the proper order then why would you care enough to google something you don't understand? You can do that research yourself without googling. It's called watching things in order. Unicorn is not meant to onboard you and coddle you with explanations. It's a high price of entry reward for people that have put in the work to reach this point on their own two feet. 
Aug 14, 2023 7:03 PM

Nov 2016
Extremely huge nope. Pardon the dreaded food analogy, but watching Unicorn before watching the previous mainline UC titles is like skipping straight to the dessert of a 5-course meal. It's such a huge payoff for basically the end of the Early UC timeline and skipping through all the previous world-building is doing yourself a huge disservice.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TechnicsMKII - Oct 29, 2010

117 by Ten »»
Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MikelAL93 - May 16, 2014

297 by DivineLion »»
Mar 24, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranlos - Mar 6, 2011

86 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BladedWarrior - Nov 13, 2011

93 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TechnicsMKII - Feb 19, 2010

215 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 5:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.