Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 18, 2021 1:27 PM

May 2020
Everybody talks about the happy ending that Violet gets with the Major, Gilbert, but nobody seems to talk about how depressing the ending is for Hodgins. He practically raised Violet just as much as the Major did, and taught her how to live. He saw her as his own daughter, and has now lost her. Poor guy :(

Bit of a hot take here, but I think the movie should have been focused around the relationship between Hodgins and Violet. Not only is it a more realistic relationship (18 years old vs 14 years old back then), but Hodgins taught Violet how to use her heart, as opposed to the Major mainly just teaching her basic human functions like reading, writing, and how to have a conversation. I get they wanted to go with the fairy-tale, fan service ending by bringing Gilbert back, but it really feels like there was a better route they could have taken.
Oct 18, 2021 1:49 PM

Nov 2019
Yeah, your idea is just like the actual end of Usagi Drop.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Oct 18, 2021 2:57 PM
Jul 2021
Personally, I choose to view their adoration for each other as a familial love for reasons I shan’t disclose, however, I most indubitably do concur, Hodgins effectively was disregarded entirely by Violet and Major, an occurrence I greatly disliked.
Oct 18, 2021 2:59 PM

Apr 2020
Tbh I don't feel bad for Hodgins, since I ship Violet x Gilbert.
Oct 18, 2021 3:04 PM
May 2021
Definitely Violet x Gilbert all the way, but they did do Hodgins down right filthy and it makes me so sad.
Oct 18, 2021 5:06 PM
Oct 2021
I felt so happy for the Major and Violet’s reunion but I’ve wanted more. I’d have liked to watch more about them. A Kiss, their future, their lives, how they fight to try to live after all they pass through.
Oct 18, 2021 5:07 PM
Sep 2018
I can't see Hodgins as anything but a father figure but you have a point right there. While Gilbert was busy being self-absorbed and wallowing in misery, Hodgins taught Violet how to live, love and gave her a purpose. I was hoping for an ending where she just had closure with Gilbert and went home, wrote more letters and lived her best life.
Oct 18, 2021 7:36 PM

Feb 2020
I really appreciate when a story, in any kind of media portraits a genuinely great friendship between characters of the opposite sex, so yeah, I'd love to see more of Hodgins and Violet relationship, but she ending up with Gilbert is just obvious. I think this might have been worked better if they didn't stay at the Island, because, the way it ended, it appeared to me that Violet just forgot about everything she'd lived up until that point, the friends she made, the people she helped, the ones who took her as family when she had anything else. I'm not saying Gilbert wouldn't be her top priority, it makes sense for him to be, but, c'mon, he could've gone back to the continent with her and live happily ever after, yes I know there's an orphanage and everyone he helps, but the old dude at the end of movie told him, that "it's not his burden to bear alone", I understood that as there's being no obligation for him helping out at the Island, so yeah, he could've just come back with her, and occasionally visit the Island, heck he could've helped find the families of the orphans, if he was alive in another territory, there's a good chance for the siblings and parents of those orphans to be alive somewhere else too, he could've done that together with the postal company.

Nanachi's wisdom:
"Watch the Monogatari Series following the Novel Order."
Oct 19, 2021 12:07 AM
Jan 2021
Agree with you , this was a pretty forced ending and is non-canon to me , they bought a dude back from a grave to make a Disney ending .
Oct 19, 2021 12:48 AM

May 2020
_syedmuhammad__ said:
Agree with you , this was a pretty forced ending and is non-canon to me , they bought a dude back from a grave to make a Disney ending .

i mean, they had hinted throughout the show and the movie that there was a possibility he was alive. the final meeting between her and the major worked, just sucks how they ended up saying "fuck everyone else" and going to stay on the random island
Oct 19, 2021 1:42 PM

Jun 2021
the-other-Ghada said:
I can't see Hodgins as anything but a father figure but you have a point right there. While Gilbert was busy being self-absorbed and wallowing in misery, Hodgins taught Violet how to live, love and gave her a purpose. I was hoping for an ending where she just had closure with Gilbert and went home, wrote more letters and lived her best life.

I definitely agree with Hodgins being a father figure. What made me sad in the end was how Violet was effectively leaving all her friends for Gilbert so abruptly. I would have liked if we could have seen some closure between them expecially with Hodgins where Violet could have thanked him for being a farther to her when she really needed it. Even though she found it a bit annoying.
Oct 23, 2021 11:55 PM
Feb 2021
Rabbi-Noah said:
Personally, I choose to view their adoration for each other as a familial love for reasons I shan’t disclose, however, I most indubitably do concur, Hodgins effectively was disregarded entirely by Violet and Major, an occurrence I greatly disliked.
They are starting a romantic relationship at the ending tho, in fhe light novel is even clearer.
Oct 28, 2021 12:55 AM

Nov 2019
I feel sadder that this was the conclusion of the Violet Evergarden series. While I loved the movie I feel a bit sad that this is the ending of Violet Evergarden and we will not be seeing more of her Auto Memory Doll jobs which was an aspect of a show I loved to no end. I do feel bad for Hodgins but I figure that after Violet and Gilbert got together they still met along with Benedict and Catalaya and hopefully Iris as well.
Nov 14, 2021 7:14 AM
Sep 2019
Hodgins and Benedict best ship
Nov 29, 2021 6:00 AM

Jan 2016
the-other-Ghada said:
I can't see Hodgins as anything but a father figure but you have a point right there. While Gilbert was busy being self-absorbed and wallowing in misery, Hodgins taught Violet how to live, love and gave her a purpose.

I couldn't help but laugh at Gilbert. Like, yeah you DID bring your kid with you to the battle field
Nov 29, 2021 7:42 AM
Sep 2018
nathaeo said:
the-other-Ghada said:
I can't see Hodgins as anything but a father figure but you have a point right there. While Gilbert was busy being self-absorbed and wallowing in misery, Hodgins taught Violet how to live, love and gave her a purpose.

I couldn't help but laugh at Gilbert. Like, yeah you DID bring your kid with you to the battle field

Some of you people are being too hard on my boy Gil. In the series, it was shown that he didn't want to bring her to battle. He stood up for her in front of some officer who looked like a big shot (I don't remember the dialogue or if there was any). When he failed, he arranged for her life after the war. He wanted her to live like a normal child and be happy even if he couldn't provide the means for it and had to let her go.
Nov 30, 2021 4:41 AM

Aug 2021
I will now rate every episode 1/5 because of this dumb post (this is an inside joke, the creator of this thread will get it and realized how dumb he sounds when he said this)
Dec 2, 2021 12:58 AM

May 2020
Daryllkun said:
I will now rate every episode 1/5 because of this dumb post (this is an inside joke, the creator of this thread will get it and realized how dumb he sounds when he said this)

this is a movie???
Dec 2, 2021 1:23 AM

Aug 2021
NickCipolla said:
Daryllkun said:

this is a movie???
exactly, see it's so dumb
Dec 2, 2021 10:34 AM

May 2020
Daryllkun said:
NickCipolla said:

this is a movie???
exactly, see it's so dumb

well yea u commented this on a movie that has no episodes
Dec 6, 2021 6:23 AM
Jul 2019
nathaeo said:
the-other-Ghada said:

She was never his child and neither viewed each other as that. In the LN it's Hodgins

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

321 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

70 by DesolatePsyche »»
Mar 26, 1:53 AM

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

HeSaidArise - Sep 3, 2023

104 by EntireInternet »»
Mar 24, 2:33 PM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.