Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Saiyuki
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 25, 2020 10:05 PM

Oct 2013
Perhaps I’m being ignorant, but why is there a josei tag with no female mc? Is it because of the ikemen overload, which would attract a female demographic? Just a quick question before I try watching the series/read the manga.
May 8, 2020 11:27 AM
Feb 2014
quirkywolf said:
Perhaps I’m being ignorant, but why is there a josei tag with no female mc? Is it because of the ikemen overload, which would attract a female demographic? Just a quick question before I try watching the series/read the manga.

Josei (and Shonen, Shoujo, Seinen) only refer to the demographic of the magazine in which the manga is published, it's not required for a Josei (and Shoujo) to have a female protagonist (also, not required for a Shounen and Seinen to have a male protagonist).

Saiyuuki Reload is published on a Josei magazine, therefore it's a Josei.
Feb 18, 2021 12:09 PM
Oct 2018
Yeah, I was wondering this, too.

I know anime get the 'josei'/'shonen/seinen/shoju' label from the magazine the manga was published in (although I'm far from an expert on manga), but I've seen a fair few 'josei' anime (ParaKIss, Kids on the Slope, Honey & Clover, Princess Jellyfish, Nodame Canatabile, etc), and this seems tonally completely different to all of them.

This just seems fairly typical shonen, or maybe seinen, to me; Almost all-male leads, fight-focussed episodes, little-to-no romance, or even 'sensitive, introspective' emo moments. The vibe 'of gritty, ironic-realism' (priest wielding a revolver, gods riding around in a WW2 Willy's Jeep, etc)- None of the stuff I'd typically expect from a josei show- ie At least a few female characters out front. Emphasis on freindships/relationships. Themes of romance, or 'character developing as a person'. Emphasis on fashion, or stylish hipster characters. Angsty, romantacised, emo characters. Maybe a 'wacky gang of friends having light-hearted fun' storyline.

Are there many other josei shows like this? Am I wrong that Saiyuuki seems pretty anachronistic and out-of-place, for this demographic?

Every time I think I have a handle on these 'josei/seinen/shonen/shoju' catagories, I run into a show like this, which seems to completely defy it's demographic; At this stage, I'm starting to think those labels are pretty much arbitrary, and meaningless.
Feb 6, 2023 11:38 AM

Jul 2010
Apollo18 said:
Yeah, I was wondering this, too.

I know anime get the 'josei'/'shonen/seinen/shoju' label from the magazine the manga was published in (although I'm far from an expert on manga), but I've seen a fair few 'josei' anime (ParaKIss, Kids on the Slope, Honey & Clover, Princess Jellyfish, Nodame Canatabile, etc), and this seems tonally completely different to all of them.

This just seems fairly typical shonen, or maybe seinen, to me; Almost all-male leads, fight-focussed episodes, little-to-no romance, or even 'sensitive, introspective' emo moments. The vibe 'of gritty, ironic-realism' (priest wielding a revolver, gods riding around in a WW2 Willy's Jeep, etc)- None of the stuff I'd typically expect from a josei show- ie At least a few female characters out front. Emphasis on freindships/relationships. Themes of romance, or 'character developing as a person'. Emphasis on fashion, or stylish hipster characters. Angsty, romantacised, emo characters. Maybe a 'wacky gang of friends having light-hearted fun' storyline.

Are there many other josei shows like this? Am I wrong that Saiyuuki seems pretty anachronistic and out-of-place, for this demographic?

Every time I think I have a handle on these 'josei/seinen/shonen/shoju' catagories, I run into a show like this, which seems to completely defy it's demographic; At this stage, I'm starting to think those labels are pretty much arbitrary, and meaningless.
To some extent it is indeed meaningless as mangas switching magazines or a franchise getting published in more than one magazine isn't uncommon, yet, even when it leads to a "change in demographic" it doesn't necessarily is accompanied by a change in tone. Saiyuki's case is complex in that it both changed magazines, and had multiple runs across magazines.  Saiyuki got published in Shounen, Shoujo and Josei magazines. Currently, the manga is still divided between two runs in a shoujo and a josei magazine respectively. MAL doesn't exactly recognize this, so usually just ends up picking one demographic. It using the demographic terms to begin with for animes is very "western".

It's not like the demographics are closed off anyway.  Ace o Nerae was published in a shoujo magazine and has inspired a shitload of "shounen" sports mangas. The creator of Evangelion, like others before and after, used shoujo and josei as inspiration when creating some aspects of his work. Sailor Moon was influenced by shounen. And so on.

More topics from this board

» Collective thoughts on the Comedy shorts

stand - Aug 21, 2013

3 by Konani »»
Jun 14, 2022 3:11 PM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Episode 20 Discussion

stand - Aug 21, 2013

2 by Konani »»
Jan 31, 2020 4:09 PM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Episode 16 Discussion

stand - Aug 21, 2013

2 by Konani »»
Jan 31, 2020 2:31 PM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Episode 13 Discussion

stand - Aug 20, 2013

2 by Konani »»
Jan 31, 2020 12:44 PM

Poll: » Saiyuuki Reload Episode 10 Discussion

stand - Aug 20, 2013

2 by Konani »»
Jan 31, 2020 11:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.