Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 15, 2019 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
emotions do matter unless you are a robot.
Dec 18, 2019 11:30 AM

Nov 2016
Safeanew said:
this belief in one's duty can only be that one is facing the possibility of one's failure

No. Ask any sufficiently successful person and they'll tell you no.
Dec 18, 2019 11:56 AM

Jul 2014
Thanakos said:
Safeanew said:
this belief in one's duty can only be that one is facing the possibility of one's failure

To ask another person for an answer is only a question of trust, so why should I trust what you call a successful person? What is a successful person?
Dec 18, 2019 12:16 PM

Nov 2016
Safeanew said:
Thanakos said:

To ask another person for an answer is only a question of trust, so why should I trust what you call a successful person? What is a successful person?

I knew this would devolve into a semantics game. I would leave it up to the reader's discretion to make what they will of it. If their ideas are in line with mine, they'll know what successful means.
Dec 18, 2019 2:26 PM

Jul 2014
Thanakos said:
Safeanew said:

I knew this would devolve into a semantics game. I would leave it up to the reader's discretion to make what they will of it. If their ideas are in line with mine, they'll know what successful means.

Your argument is appeal to authority, so I wondered what you base that authority on.
Dec 18, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
I don't want to be emotionless sloop. Neither does my brain.
Dec 19, 2019 8:09 AM

Nov 2016
Safeanew said:
Thanakos said:

Your argument is appeal to authority, so I wondered what you base that authority on.

Research papers on self-esteem, anxiety, happiness, and life satisfaction. The definition they use of 'successful' person is roughly my own (cf. paper on grit).
Dec 19, 2019 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
Thanakos said:
Safeanew said:

Research papers on self-esteem, anxiety, happiness, and life satisfaction. The definition they use of 'successful' person is roughly my own (cf. paper on grit).

Nice link

That papers definition of grit matches my description: "We define grit as perseverance and passion for long-term goals. Grit entails working strenuously toward challenges, maintaining effort and interest over years despite failure, adversity, and pla-teaus in progress. The gritty individual approaches achievement as a marathon; his or her advantage is stamina. Whereas disappoint-ment or boredom signals to others that it is time to change trajectory and cut losses, the gritty individual stays the course."

Keywords that I link to anxiety is: "despite failure. adversity, and pla-teaus in progress." and "disappoint-ment or boredom"

Sorry about the clumsy question before, I meant to ask why I should trust what a successful person says, but you answered that anyway.
Dec 27, 2019 9:19 PM

Aug 2018
No, stoicism is the only relevant philosophy and everyone who experiences any emotion should be euthanized
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

41 by 707supremacist »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

38 by cody »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

28 by cody »»
41 minutes ago

» proxy

jackfrostenson - 1 hour ago

1 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.