Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 3, 2019 9:44 PM

Jun 2015
well toonami didnt have anime, it had action stuff like space ghost and swat katz. [it did have CCS]

so it would either be police patrol or whne animax came RK
Sep 4, 2019 3:22 AM

Jul 2013
While everyone else was watching Toonami I was watching Jetix as a kid. Anyway it's Digimon at least Frontier was the first season.

Sep 4, 2019 5:09 AM

Jul 2017
Well it doesn't have to be Toonami specifically. I just mean all those anime that became mainstream early in the west during the 2000s (dragon ball, pokemon, digimon, naruto, etc). Well i just mentioned Toonami because i believe its one of the first platforms to screen such anime.
Sep 4, 2019 5:18 AM

Sep 2014
either baccano or daily lives of high school boys, not sure. anyway, both were recommendations by a friend from middle school and made me slowly get into the medium. I was hooked few shows in, when I first watched my all time favourite - Kill la Kill
Sep 4, 2019 5:20 AM

Feb 2010
What's Toonami again? I don't understand the question :(

If you mean 'anime that wasn't on TV', then it was Dragonball GT for me which never aired in my country and was the first anime I went out of my way to look for on the internet.

If you mean 'anime that americans don't know' (since Toonami is american IIRC), there is a multitude of anime that aired on TV here in europe when I was a kid that americans have never heard of, but where I live even 60 year olds know about stuff like Heidi or Vickie or Alfred e. Kwak.

Damn american-centric threads :>
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 4, 2019 10:21 AM

Jul 2017
Pullman said:

If you mean 'anime that wasn't on TV', then it was Dragonball GT for me which never aired in my country and was the first anime I went out of my way to look for on the internet.

If you mean 'anime that americans don't know' (since Toonami is american IIRC), there is a multitude of anime that aired on TV here in europe when I was a kid that americans have never heard of, but where I live even 60 year olds know about stuff like Heidi or Vickie or Alfred e. Kwak.

Toonami is a program/platform aired late night on Cartoon Network starting in the late 90s if i'm correct. During its prime it aired lots of anime that was the first to come to the west. Most of the shows are probably curated to suit western audiences so thats why the hit shows there were sort of the OG mainstream anime.

But my point isnt about Toonami its more of the first "non mainstream anime in the west and outside japan" if you will. You could probably watch naruto/pokemon/dragonball anywhere right now. In my country you can find those shows on weekend mornings with local dub. I just mentioned Toonami because its the platform that first comes to mind when I first started watching anime. It was probably the first big platform to experience anime in the west, especially in the 90s and early 2000s.
Sep 4, 2019 2:34 PM

Feb 2010
deimos96 said:
Pullman said:

Toonami is a program/platform aired late night on Cartoon Network starting in the late 90s if i'm correct. During its prime it aired lots of anime that was the first to come to the west. Most of the shows are probably curated to suit western audiences so thats why the hit shows there were sort of the OG mainstream anime.

But my point isnt about Toonami its more of the first "non mainstream anime in the west and outside japan" if you will. You could probably watch naruto/pokemon/dragonball anywhere right now. In my country you can find those shows on weekend mornings with local dub. I just mentioned Toonami because its the platform that first comes to mind when I first started watching anime. It was probably the first big platform to experience anime in the west, especially in the 90s and early 2000s.

I know what Toonami is, I'm just trying to make the point that the US is not 'the west' and what's mainstream in europe can be obscure in america and vice versa so there is no clear answer to your question because it just assumes that the US = the west but to me being mainstream in the US is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with my life.

Toonami is obscure for an european like me who never had access to it, while stuff like Heidi, Vickie, Maye the Bee and Alfred e Kwak aired in every mainstream station in half the european countries while americans have probably never heard of them. And while Dragonball and Dragonball Z might not be obscure in my country, Dragonball GT definitely was because it never aired and I tried to get my hands on it for years before torrenting became a thing and I finally got to download it. So what answers do you want to hear? The reality of what was obscure at the time in my country, or what was obscure in the entirety of 'the west'? I just find the question to be very unclear because it only references toonami but also talks about 'the west' in general, without acknowleding that europa is also a big part of the west, with an arguably richer tradition of anime than america.

In any case if you had actually read my post beyond my rhetorical question about Toonami, I already gave two answers, trying to reply in a way that isn't about Toonami. I don't really have anything to add beyond that. It was either DB GT, the first anime I saw that never aired on TV and that I had to go out of my way to find on the internet, or one of the many childhood anime that aired in europe during my childhood which are extremely obscure in america and the modern anime community, but which even my parents have seen because they were so big here. You can pick which take on obscurity you prefer.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 4, 2019 2:37 PM
Mar 2016
I can't rmb most of the early animes I've watched. First anime was Inuyasha, which is kinda mainstream ig

I watched a shit ton of Shoujo early though
Sep 4, 2019 8:14 PM

Jul 2017
Pullman said:
deimos96 said:

I know what Toonami is, I'm just trying to make the point that the US is not 'the west' and what's mainstream in europe can be obscure in america and vice versa so there is no clear answer to your question because it just assumes that the US = the west but to me being mainstream in the US is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with my life.

Toonami is obscure for an european like me who never had access to it, while stuff like Heidi, Vickie, Maye the Bee and Alfred e Kwak aired in every mainstream station in half the european countries while americans have probably never heard of them. And while Dragonball and Dragonball Z might not be obscure in my country, Dragonball GT definitely was because it never aired and I tried to get my hands on it for years before torrenting became a thing and I finally got to download it. So what answers do you want to hear? The reality of what was obscure at the time in my country, or what was obscure in the entirety of 'the west'? I just find the question to be very unclear because it only references toonami but also talks about 'the west' in general, without acknowleding that europa is also a big part of the west, with an arguably richer tradition of anime than america.

In any case if you had actually read my post beyond my rhetorical question about Toonami, I already gave two answers, trying to reply in a way that isn't about Toonami. I don't really have anything to add beyond that. It was either DB GT, the first anime I saw that never aired on TV and that I had to go out of my way to find on the internet, or one of the many childhood anime that aired in europe during my childhood which are extremely obscure in america and the modern anime community, but which even my parents have seen because they were so big here. You can pick which take on obscurity you prefer.

Ah ok my bad. lmao i didnt read you answer thoroughly. Yeah i guess you did answer what toonami was too. My bad my dude.

I guess living in america and having no clue at all about early anime history in europe made me forget about all that.
Sep 4, 2019 8:20 PM

Oct 2014
I didn't have cable as a kid so I'm not sure what aired on Toonami. My first kids show was Hamtaro and my first anime when I was older was SAO. Did either of those air on Toonami?
Sep 4, 2019 8:31 PM
Dec 2018
Baka to test to shoukanjuu. After that, I started watching more anime before I stopped for a while.
Sep 4, 2019 10:52 PM

Sep 2012
Outside of toonami, my first anime was Haruhi at 16 or 17 years old. It's the single show that launched my fascination with anime as a whole.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 4, 2019 11:00 PM

Mar 2016
Besides Toonami and the super mainstream shows, I believe mine was either Black Cat or GunXSword. Both were a fun time for me. After that I fell deeper and deeper into the anime rabbit hole. Sword Art, Toradora, Accel World and a few others followed. So many came quickly after then that I can no longer remember the correct order. Currently, it's my biggest hobby. One could say I'm a little obsessed, but I just love it lol.
Sep 4, 2019 11:21 PM

Jan 2015
11 eyes for me, it's not great but at the time I liked it enough to fall in love with anime.

✧ 미처 말하지 못했어 다만 너를 좋아했어
어린 날의 꿈처럼 마치 기적처럼
시간을 달려서 어른이 될 수만 있다면
거친 세상 속에서 손을 잡아줄게 ༉‧₊˚✧

⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾

Sep 4, 2019 11:37 PM

Aug 2016
Akira, although if not counting movies then Higurashi. Though my knowledge on what aired on Toonami or not is limited I don't really see those ever having been aired there.
Sep 5, 2019 2:22 AM

May 2018
deimos96 said:

it aired lots of anime that was the first to come to the west.

This is not entirely correct even for The States because way earlier you at least got stuff like Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Star Blazers, Robotech, Voltron ect.

By the way Toonamie WAS (and maybe still is) available in Europe by satellite and was paid (encrypted) service. I guess very few cable operators have licenced it.
It wasn't on mine but I saw few emissions at friend's place.
alshuSep 6, 2019 5:14 AM
Sep 5, 2019 3:24 AM

Nov 2012
Hmmmmm first non Toonami anime? That would have to be Gunsmith Cats https://myanimelist.net/anime/650/Gunsmith_Cats. I remember picking it out from Blockbuster back in the day. My parents thought it was just another cartoon :D Good thing they let me watch it alone because it was most definitely not for children!

Sep 5, 2019 3:35 AM

Aug 2018
Is detective Conan considered as mainstream? It was this or initial D i forgot, it was shown on tv tho.
Sep 5, 2019 8:23 AM

Jul 2019
Death Note. I was so blown away that I had to immedately order the complete DVD box set.
Sep 5, 2019 10:32 AM

Nov 2017
Back in the day anime was too expensive. I think I watched Eva like everyone else outside of the context of Toonami because I was curious but that really didn't do it for me besides the major End of Eva movie being very impressive with the live action scene and apocalyptic ending and stuff.

And there was always Netflix stuff, started streaming in college around '09. Last Exile on Netflix was fun but not the wall breaker. It was an average series but pretty.

In college I had a great video rental store that had been open since ages before I got there. I rented Berserk out of curiosity, hearing about it online and stuff. That was the point where I rekindled my love for anime. Read most of the manga online (burned out some point far into it). I still can't believe there wasn't a sequel season to the '97 anime series.

The big one that brought me back into it after college was Netflix, Puella and Kill La Kill. I had heard about KLK in an anime magazine, it really did save anime.

So definitely Berserk 1997. And My Neighbor Totoro which I bought on DVD around those times and liked a lot, other Miyazakis on TV and stuff.
DarkInsomnia57Sep 5, 2019 10:37 AM
Sep 5, 2019 10:58 AM

May 2019
In my country we didn't have Toonami, but we had a similar channel that had a lot of anime, including things like original FMA, Death Note and Eva, so the first anime i watched that didn't air on that channel was either Toradora or Code Geass
Sep 6, 2019 7:28 AM
Jun 2014
This, but DN wasn't 'anime' in my mind at the time, being like 12 or something. Just a cartoon. The first anime I watched (from that perspective) would've been Elfin Lied.

edit: quoted wrong person, meant to say Pokemon onto Death Note.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 12 minutes ago

1 by Toooooooooohru »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

24 by Maou_heika »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

57 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

17 by mizukasa »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.