Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 4, 2019 11:04 PM

Feb 2015
I'm on episode 22 right now and my suspension of disbelief is in question right now in how Lunge hasn't realized Tenma is innocent?

For someone with high intelligence, how has he not done absolutely no research on Johan and think he's not even real?
SenorPinkMar 4, 2019 11:32 PM
An island from a dream within a dream? I could never pass up a great adventure like this!
Jul 13, 2020 7:43 PM

Nov 2015
SenorPink said:
I'm on episode 22 right now and my suspension of disbelief is in question right now in how Lunge hasn't realized Tenma is innocent?

For someone with high intelligence, how has he not done absolutely no research on Johan and think he's not even real?

its you , its just you
Jul 18, 2020 7:19 AM
Jan 2020
Ahri-is-cute said:
SenorPink said:

its you , its just you

Yes i agree it's just you. Lunge is my 3rd favourite character of the show after Johan & Grimmer.
Jul 18, 2020 7:55 AM
Jul 18, 2020 1:25 PM

Feb 2020
He’s not stupid - just stubborn. As he has never left a criminal case unsolved in his career, he is embarrassed that his prediction about Tenma was wrong. So he decides to keep chasing Tenma (despite the fact he very obviously isn’t a criminal and lunge knows this) because he doesn’t like admitting defeat.
pls play jet set radio future for the microsoft xbox. thanks
Aug 31, 2020 6:13 PM
Jun 2019
Lunge is actually intellectually smart, but he's just not emotionally smart. He is cold and insensitive which led to someone he interrogated to commit suicide. Johan was also really good at hiding concrete evidences, and all evidences left led to Tenm.
Sep 1, 2020 3:06 PM
Jun 2020
He's not stupid it's just Johan outsmarted him.
Sep 1, 2020 3:09 PM

Jan 2020
It's really simple. Lunge a goat, but Johan goater
Oct 26, 2020 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
The short answer is that Lunge would never defend Tenma purely for emotional reason. He's done no research on Johan because there is no research to be done on him. He virtually doesn't exist, certainly not legally.

Nearly every character in the series that defends Tenma's innocence comes to that conclusion for emotional reasons, and they find evidence to support that conclusion (or they have firsthand knowledge of Johan's existence). I.e. they all rely on confirmation-bias to link seemingly unrelated murders. Lunge doesn't work that way. Also consider his pride; Lunge is the "flawless detective" that can solve any case. He said himself that no human can leave "no evidence". This blind Lunge to the reality that Johan exists for a good portion of the series.

And I'm gonna to assume you've finished the series by now, but...
Signature is too edgy for me.
Jul 9, 2023 8:35 AM
Jul 2023
You're right: it's not just Lunge. Like, ok, Lunge's biased and obsessed; this can be explained by his psychological issues. But what the heck are other BKA officers doing?

1) The murder of Tenma's patient: BKA stated right away that Tenma was not the murderer, as he had an alibi for the time the policeman was murdered, and there weren't any traces of gunpowder on him. So he was a witness in this case, yet his testimony about Johan was completely disregarded, as in some 30+ episode Lunge stated that Johan is a subject of Tenma's imagination. Why didn't they investigate this murder? It was closely connected to other serial killings and could've given a big insight into the case. 

2) How did Johan and Anna get away from the hospital? This stuff should've been properly investigated. How's it that when Tenma mentions those kids 9 years later no one believes him? Also, how could Johan and Anna be fostered without any documents?

3) In some 30+ episode Rudi gives a photo of Johan to Lunge, but Lunge does nothing about it. Considering my previous points, this is sheer incompetence. 

I got to episode 37 only because I thought there would be some insight into Lunge's psychology or some explanation of how Johan was capable of outsmarting the legal system, but, I guess, I'm just supposed to believe that Johan is so competent without any further evidence. 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

253 by MeCuMint »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.