Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2018 3:35 PM
Feb 2018
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the light novel compared to the anime, and if they thought it was better or worse overall? I recently finished reading the light novel myself and would be interested to hear other people's opinions.
Mar 21, 2018 8:14 AM
Aug 2015
Claudaujay said:
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the light novel compared to the anime, and if they thought it was better or worse overall? I recently finished reading the light novel myself and would be interested to hear other people's opinions.

I've read the light novel and I currently watching the anime. Episode 1 is an introduction that presents the main character, Violet, and the world where the story takes place. Even if I think that it was more interesting in the novel since we learn more about her at each chapter, I don't think that starting directly with Oscar chapter would have been a good thing.

But then KyoAni decided to add extra characters in order to focus on Violet's debut as a Doll (you will have to wait for episode 6 to see the content of the novel adapted).Episodes until the 5th aren't bad, except episode 2 from my point of view and episodes 4 and 5 weren't really interesting (still from my point of view because many people liked episode 5). Among these episodes I was only moved by episode 3.

But as I said, despite some changes, they started to adapt the novel content. You'll get to see Leon, Oscar and Ann, and also Gilbert chapter with the war (end of volume 1) and these episodes were really moving according to me.

I do think the novel is better because it depicts the characters more deeply (Gilbert, Hodgins and Dietfriet for example), it has really interesting and moving chapters and I'm afraid we won't get to see some of these stories. There are 4 episodes left and even if they manage to adapt The flying letters chapters into one epidode and the train hijack for the last episode, there will be only two episode for four stories (Aiden, Edward, Silene and Lux) and the first chapter of volume 2 which is centered on Gilbert and Hodgins.

Despite that fact, I think you should try watching the anime which have beautiful visuals and musics but also because it's a good drama/slice of life.
Mar 21, 2018 9:06 AM

Mar 2013
Claudaujay said:

TLDR: Want a faster paced story, with less focus on world building that gets to the main point of the story at the cost of less emotional investment, and character depth for the main character, but more a focus on the side characters narrative? Then the light novel version is for you.

Want a methodical slow burning story, with heavy world building at the cost of slow(but great) character development for the main character and less development for side character throughout the adaptation? Then the anime version is better.

In the beginning of this adaptation I would have suggested the novel being better, but now with Violet's backstory in hindsight I would heavily recommend the anime adaptation. The anime adaptation fixes alot of light novels problems like tidying up alot of fantastical elements that made it harder to get invested into Violet's character since she is so perfect and improving on its world building which the light novel lacked alot of.

The adaptation makes Violet be imperfect from the very beginning and have faults which in the first few episodes can get annoying for casual viewers not invested in the story. (Basically the people just cast her off as autistic or boring, or that she is too slow in developing out of her PTSD.) If you are a fan of stories that take off immediately then the light novel is a better option.

The adaptation also changes alot of things in-place of the actual events of the novels as well. For example changing one character who served a certain role, that was introduced late in the story to two characters introduced in the very beginning instead. Or switching the timeline of certain events. Initially this will seem like they are changing the source material for no reason, but it all comes around and make sense by the end of it.

Those are my thoughts from reading the light novel and the watching the anime.
SalmonSandwichMar 21, 2018 9:15 AM
Mar 22, 2018 2:16 AM

Apr 2011
I like both of them.

In the Light novel, Violet's character and emotional development was a bit lacking because we saw her as a completed doll already and we never got to the part of her struggling to be one.

On the other hand the Anime was able to show more of her after the war and before her getting a job as a doll. Though we didn't get to see more of Gilbert and his brothers inner turmoil.

I guess I enjoy both of them and mixing the good parts of it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

286 by Cleints »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

620 by chiransh_agarwal »»
May 6, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2018

319 by NubFix »»
May 2, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.