New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Apr 1, 2010 12:26 PM
Dec 2008
gintama rulezzz
Apr 1, 2010 1:30 PM

Jul 2008
lmaonade said:
Therefore , the number of Favorites for the clannad seires isn't well concentrated on a seires but either one or both.
The fact that Gintama isn't a sequel is what gives it more merit. Sequels almost always get a higher rating than the initial series due to the people who tried the show and didn't like it, whereas Gintama has one score for the entire thing.

For example, I (partially >_>)watched Clannad and thought it was absolutely dreadful so I gave it a 3. Since I didn't bother to watch the second season it doesn't have my score, so one less bad rating for it.
Apr 1, 2010 2:54 PM

Aug 2008
Defiance said:
lmaonade said:
Therefore , the number of Favorites for the clannad seires isn't well concentrated on a seires but either one or both.
The fact that Gintama isn't a sequel is what gives it more merit. Sequels almost always get a higher rating than the initial series due to the people who tried the show and didn't like it, whereas Gintama has one score for the entire thing.

For example, I (partially >_>)watched Clannad and thought it was absolutely dreadful so I gave it a 3. Since I didn't bother to watch the second season it doesn't have my score, so one less bad rating for it.

The sequel boost effect is very real, but Gintama actually has it easier than Clannad ~After Story~. If you're fair you have to watch 23 episodes of Clannad and then watch 5 episodes of Clannad ~After Story~ so you can score the latter and have it count. That's 28 episodes. Of course, it is completely allowed on MAL to just watch 5 episodes of Clannad ~After Story~ without having seen Clannad, too. You have to watch 41 episodes of Gintama to have your score count.

That's just short of 50% more than you would have to watch of the Clannad franchise to be fair (although not everyone is), and over 8 times as much as the minimum you have to watch of the Clannad franchise. I believe this is much of why Gintama jumped in rating by 0.63 instead of a number around the (as far as I can tell) usual 0.25.

Gintama also just ended, and to finish it it appears you must watch HorribleSubs episodes, which obviously drives off those not very into Gintama. True, Rumbel did a lot of episodes, but many people wait until they can watch the whole series in decent quality. A chunk of the watching population also waits to score something until they have finished it, too, so a higher proportion of people who put Gintama on hold due to not being into it enough to watch HorribleSubs have not voted than those who were into it enough to watch HorribleSubs, and thus vote higher.

Also, Clannad ~After Story~ actually has a higher percentage of 1s (which are likely nearly all "dishonest") right now than Gintama does (as well as having 105 more total 1s). I imagine the larger percentage of 2-7s for Gintama may be mostly due to it failing to appeal with its comedy, characters, and plot to a higher percentage of its watchers than Clannad ~After Story~ failed to appeal to with its (to most) more touching and relatable family themes and drama, along with Ushimoe.

Gintama has nearly the same percentage of 9s, a much lower percentage of 10s, and a higher percentage of 8s (who are actually dragging its rating down). If you knew nothing about both series other than the vote distribution you would figure that people in general preferred the one that they gave 10s to half the time more than the one they gave 10s to one third of the time.

No, I don't need Clannad ~After Story~ to be in first place, although I did enjoy it a lot more than what I read of Gintama. I just believe that, while both series are arbitrarily boosted, Gintama is actually much more boosted more right now.

One Piece will probably have 800 or so episodes when it ends (since the manga is probably only a bit more than half over right now), which will thus require 160 or so episodes watched for scores to count, so I would expect it to jump to at least near 9.30 when it finishes...yeah.

If you're stingy then click on CLuClu!
Please consider supporting the end of disenfranchisement on MAL.
Purpose is subjective, therefore quality is subjective.
Apr 1, 2010 5:13 PM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:

The sequel boost effect is very real, but Gintama actually has it easier than Clannad ~After Story~. If you're fair you have to watch 23 episodes of Clannad and then watch 5 episodes of Clannad ~After Story~ so you can score the latter and have it count. That's 28 episodes. Of course, it is completely allowed on MAL to just watch 5 episodes of Clannad ~After Story~ without having seen Clannad, too. You have to watch 41 episodes of Gintama to have your score count.

That's just short of 50% more than you would have to watch of the Clannad franchise to be fair (although not everyone is), and over 8 times as much as the minimum you have to watch of the Clannad franchise. I believe this is much of why Gintama jumped in rating by 0.63 instead of a number around the (as far as I can tell) usual 0.25.

Yes, that is the reason it jumped so much... But the main reason, was that almost half of the votes came from people who had seen less than 40 episodes. Gintama is the type of series that is hard to marathon, which is most likely the reason for that.

The series is indeed boosted because of this, however, Gintama only truly becomes a masterpiece once it changes from being mostly episodic, to being small arc based. Which, is also around episode 40.

The fact is, this effect applies to all long series - and should. Even if the first 1/5 of episodes of Gintama were only worth rating a 7-9, the next 4/5 were worth well over 10 (hence, rank 1), which boosts a lot of ratings up to 10.

Gintama also just ended, and to finish it it appears you must watch HorribleSubs episodes, which obviously drives off those not very into Gintama. True, Rumbel did a lot of episodes, but many people wait until they can watch the whole series in decent quality. A chunk of the watching population also waits to score something until they have finished it, too, so a higher proportion of people who put Gintama on hold due to not being into it enough to watch HorribleSubs have not voted than those who were into it enough to watch HorribleSubs, and thus vote higher.

Tbh, the subs from CR that Horriblesubs uses are pretty high quality, compared to other stuff. Also, the people who wait for Rumble were mostly only waiting because CR originally started at 128, and that was further then Rumble got... Then the Horriblesubs releases between the gap were originally out of sync, once again deterring them. By now, most have switched due to Rumbles terrible speed. The few that remain are people who care about watching the series in HQ, and are more often than not people who love the series. I'm not saying people who love it don't continue to watch, as they do, I'm saying people who don't care as much for it continue on more often then they don't.

Also, even if some people tend to hold off ratings till series finish, those people still generally rate long ongoing series before they end... Sure, some don't, but the proportion is alot less than the people who don't rate a a 12 episode anime till it ends.

Also, Clannad ~After Story~ actually has a higher percentage of 1s (which are likely nearly all "dishonest") right now than Gintama does (as well as having 105 more total 1s). I imagine the larger percentage of 2-7s for Gintama may be mostly due to it failing to appeal with its comedy, characters, and plot to a higher percentage of its watchers than Clannad ~After Story~ failed to appeal to with its (to most) more touching and relatable family themes and drama, along with Ushimoe.
I'm taking it your judging those percentages from the full range of people - almost half who's votes don't count. Gintama is the type of anime that gets better as you go, so obviously a lot of the votes are coming from those who haven't seen too much of it. Also, you can't compare ~After Story~ percentage of appeal, as most who were turned off stopped at season 1.

Gintama has nearly the same percentage of 9s, a much lower percentage of 10s, and a higher percentage of 8s (who are actually dragging its rating down). If you knew nothing about both series other than the vote distribution you would figure that people in general preferred the one that they gave 10s to half the time more than the one they gave 10s to one third of the time.

From the percentage of people who have seen over 40 eps, Gintama has a much higher percentage of 10s and 9s. This is only an assumption, but to get the rating it is, that is likely the case.

No, I don't need Clannad ~After Story~ to be in first place, although I did enjoy it a lot more than what I read of Gintama. I just believe that, while both series are arbitrarily boosted, Gintama is actually much more boosted more right now.

I'm not sure what your referring to by "read" (Manga or user comments?), but the Gintama anime is a lot better than the manga (simply because the type of appeal of the comedy), and if you have not seen it, you simply cannot judge it.

One Piece will probably have 800 or so episodes when it ends (since the manga is probably only a bit more than half over right now), which will thus require 160 or so episodes watched for scores to count, so I would expect it to jump to at least near 9.30 when it finishes...yeah.
I'd expect that too... But honestly, it is what it deserves. Its dramatically brought down by the dub haters atm, and the story is a very large step above all other battle shounens.
Apr 1, 2010 6:32 PM

Aug 2008
llamaben:

If Gintama is hard to marathon that's clearly Gintama's fault. ;p

I disagree that series should have higher and higher ratings the longer they are. Ratings should represent what the average rater thinks. If more and more people get tired or irritated with a series (which I blame on the series, not the watchers) as it goes on they shouldn't be excluded. They are people with honest, useful opinions, too!

Many others find HorribleSubs' subs to be...horrible. They're rated 5.40 on AniDB, and here are the comments explaining why some people feel this way.

Under 7% of the people on MAL who didn't drop or aren't just planning to watch Gintama have completed it. This doesn't support the idea that most people moved right on to HorribleSubs.

I really don't think lovers usually wait. I've seen many anime end and then quickly gain high ratings from those who completed them, ratings which fall significantly over time. If most lovers were waiting for the best episode quality the rating would be more stable or even increase over time. Besides, few people wait for years if they like the show and are behind by 100 or more episodes.

Yes, the full range of people who expressed opinions on Gintama. That almost half of them are ignored is the problem. Most who were turned off by Clannad didn't get to ~After Story~, yes. However, even if you account for the sequel boost it's still more loved on average than Gintama is, and by many more people. I don't see how ~After Story~ could be less loved than Clannad and yet receive more favorites in spite of having less popularity. Clannad was also rated higher than Gintama before the latter received its boost, and ~After Story~ is generally considered to be even better.

Gintama is only rated 0.05 points higher than ~After Story~, so I don't see why it would have a "much" higher percentage of 10s and 9s (9s are actually bad for both series' ratings, though).

I've been told this by fans of the anime. How exactly did the comedy, main characters, or plot change in type, not implementation, in the anime when compared to the manga? I've received no responses so far, even though they were opposing me so very strongly and should've had the knowledge to back up their claims.

Anyway, if the anime was much better then why was it previously only rated 0.08 above the manga? It seems to me that if one version is much better to someone, it is likely the one of the type (anime or manga) in which that person prefers to consume their stories. Anyway, I'm not judging it for myself. I'm just looking at the judgements of the many, which should better represent reality as a whole than the few comments I've seen from fans of the anime.

Why is One Piece rated higher on AniDB, which hates dubs more than MAL and has a main site purpose of finding good fansubs, then? I think One Piece is not rated as high as some anime for the same reason it's not as popular as Naruto and Bleach (outside of Japan). It's just too weird or wacky at times for some people. Things like having an enemy attack by creating noodles from his nose is just -_- to some people.

Anyway, Hajime no Ippo is rated higher than One Piece (it's sports, but it's hard for me to consider Ippo punching an antagonist in a one on one fight to be much different from Luffy punching and kicking an antagonist in a one on one fight), Hunter x Hunter is rated the same as One Piece, and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, D.Gray-man, Soul Eater, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn! are rated nearly as highly as One Piece. Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo both have fights, too.

Apr 1, 2010 7:28 PM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
I disagree that series should have higher and higher ratings the longer they are. Ratings should represent what the average rater thinks. If more and more people get tired or irritated with a series (which I blame on the series, not the watchers) as it goes on they shouldn't be excluded. They are people with honest, useful opinions, too!

Sure, they have an opinion, but when they haven't seen the majority of the anime, the rating really can't be too accurate... The quality of pretty much every anime changes over time, and if all ratings were judged on 1-5 episodes, half of the top 100 wouldn't even be there.

Many others find HorribleSubs' subs to be...horrible. They're rated 5.40 on AniDB, and here are the comments explaining why some people feel this way.

Alot of those comments were based on episode 120-127 or so, which when first released by Horriblesubs, were out of sync. Apart from that, the comments on that page are fairly positive - expect for some people who bash them simply because other series ripped by them are LQ (Naruto etc). Gintama is one of the better translated series they rip.

Also, ALOT of people rate horriblesubs lowly because they rip their subs, not because of the quality... I'm one of them.

Under 7% of the people on MAL who didn't drop or aren't just planning to watch Gintama have completed it. This doesn't support the idea that most people moved right on to HorribleSubs.

This relates back to Gintama being hard to marathon. If you take a look through the stats page, and the users who have rated it, alot are either on hold or watching at random numbers. Alot are under 40 (according to how the ratings are determined, I'd assume thats over 40%), while others are numbers such as 70, 160 etc. Also, having only just finished, I'm sure there's a fair few people in the 190s. Of course there are some where rumble are, but the statistics you provide are not a measure for this.

I really don't think lovers usually wait. I've seen many anime end and then quickly gain high ratings from those who completed them, ratings which fall significantly over time. If most lovers were waiting for the best episode quality the rating would be more stable or even increase over time. Besides, few people wait for years if they like the show and are behind by 100 or more episodes.

Your comment seems to be one in general, and not directly in relation to Gintama. You would have a better idea of this is you were often following comments on Rumbles website, and other websites, over time through the releases of episodes...

Yes, the full range of people who expressed opinions on Gintama. That almost half of them are ignored is the problem. Most who were turned off by Clannad didn't get to ~After Story~, yes. However, even if you account for the sequel boost it's still more loved on average than Gintama is, and by many more people. I don't see how ~After Story~ could be less loved than Clannad and yet receive more favorites in spite of having less popularity. Clannad was also rated higher than Gintama before the latter received its boost, and ~After Story~ is generally considered to be even better.
I take your point, but its too hard to compare as many people still haven't completed Gintama, while the majority of voters have completed Clannad.

This is by no means accurate (as some people whos votes don't count for Gintama have it favourite), but Gintama has 2,739 favourites, with 7078 votes that count. Clannad ~After Story~ has 4,152 favourites, when it has 23746 votes that count...

Even if you include all votes, Gintama still has a higher proportion of favourites... If I had to take a rough estimate, I'd say around 60% of people who have completed Gintama has it in their favourites.

Gintama is only rated 0.05 points higher than ~After Story~, so I don't see why it would have a "much" higher percentage of 10s and 9s (9s are actually bad for both series' ratings, though).
Ok, maybe not "much", but to get a higher rating it most likely has a higher percentage...

I've been told this by fans of the anime. How exactly did the comedy, main characters, or plot change in type, not implementation, in the anime when compared to the manga? I've received no responses so far, even though they were opposing me so very strongly and should've had the knowledge to back up their claims.

Anyway, if the anime was much better then why was it previously only rated 0.08 above the manga? It seems to me that if one version is much better to someone, it is likely the one of the type (anime or manga) in which that person prefers to consume their stories. Anyway, I'm not judging it for myself. I'm just looking at the judgements of the many, which should better represent reality as a whole than the few comments I've seen from fans of the anime.
That is because most readers of the Gintama manga come directly from the anime (A fair few earlier chapters of Gintama are not scanlated). And realistically, that is something you would only do if you love the anime.

Like I said before, its mostly because the jokes simply are funnier in anime form...

Why is One Piece rated higher on AniDB, which hates dubs more than MAL and has a main site purpose of finding good fansubs, then? I think One Piece is not rated as high as some anime for the same reason it's not as popular as Naruto and Bleach (outside of Japan). It's just too weird or wacky at times for some people. Things like having an enemy attack by creating noodles from his nose is just -_- to some people.
Maybe because they watch the sub instead? And I don't remember any attack with noddles coming out from anyone's nose (if there is, it definitely didn't happen constantly). You've seen 143 eps, when half of them were only introducing the characters... Really, it could be argued that even the first 160 or so (pretty much the whole dub) were only introducing them. Edit: You're reading the manga, I take that back.

Anyway, Hajime no Ippo is rated higher than One Piece (it's sports, but it's hard for me to consider Ippo punching an antagonist in a one on one fight to be much different from Luffy punching and kicking an antagonist in a one on one fight), Hunter x Hunter is rated the same as One Piece, and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, D.Gray-man, Soul Eater, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn! are rated nearly as highly as One Piece. Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo both have fights, too.
Yes, they are rated higher atm. But as you said, One Piece will probably go up to 9.30... All those series have a decent amount of episodes, and have already gotten ridden of some haters (KHR aside). I was commenting mostly on the story though. Oda is a genius. Unlike Gintama, pretty much everyone would agree that the anime adaption of One Piece is nowhere near the quality of the manga (the anime isn't adapted too bad, but it could easily be better.)
llamabenApr 1, 2010 7:46 PM
Apr 1, 2010 9:18 PM

Apr 2009
Ha ha Gintama is finally 0.02 points down after some major trolling. I am not terribly convinced Clannad is being trolled as well as there is no change in its score...but this is the internet, anything can happen.

I seriously like the idea of an alphabetical Top 20 mentioned sometime before on this thread. After all, its just a list for recommending new anime.
Apr 1, 2010 11:18 PM

Aug 2008
llamaben said:
Sure, they have an opinion, but when they haven't seen the majority of the anime, the rating really can't be too accurate... The quality of pretty much every anime changes over time, and if all ratings were judged on 1-5 episodes, half of the top 100 wouldn't even be there.

Their opinion is accurate to them, as that's how they feel. The overall rating needn't exclude them to suit the tastes of an "elite" who liked the anime more. Anyway, were it shown likely, would you accept a 12 episode maximum requirement for scores to count, since people in general don't usually change their scores by much past that point? If not then it would appear that you're more concerned with biasing things towards your interests than fairness.

Alot of those comments were based on episode 120-127 or so, which when first released by Horriblesubs, were out of sync. Apart from that, the comments on that page are fairly positive - expect for some people who bash them simply because other series ripped by them are LQ (Naruto etc). Gintama is one of the better translated series they rip.

Also, ALOT of people rate horriblesubs lowly because they rip their subs, not because of the quality... I'm one of them.

My point stands, because releasing eight horrible episodes in a row would make most people unwilling to continue watching HorribleSubs episodes. Also, you can hardly call the rating unfair when you claim to be one of those contributing to how low it is.

This relates back to Gintama being hard to marathon. If you take a look through the stats page, and the users who have rated it, alot are either on hold or watching at random numbers. Alot are under 40 (according to how the ratings are determined, I'd assume thats over 40%), while others are numbers such as 70, 160 etc. Also, having only just finished, I'm sure there's a fair few people in the 190s. Of course there are some where rumble are, but the statistics you provide are not a measure for this.

As I said, Gintama being hard to marathon would be Gintama's fault. It can take all the blame. :) You can use AniDB statistics if you like. Most people haven't gotten far in Gintama yet.

Your comment seems to be one in general, and not directly in relation to Gintama. You would have a better idea of this is you were often following comments on Rumbles website, and other websites, over time through the releases of episodes...

The problem is general in nature, so it makes sense to recognize what happens in general. As to comments on Rumbel's (not Rumble's) website, I would hardly find it surprising that they were more supportive of Rumbel than Gintama.

I take your point, but its too hard to compare as many people still haven't completed Gintama, while the majority of voters have completed Clannad.

This is by no means accurate (as some people whos votes don't count for Gintama have it favourite), but Gintama has 2,739 favourites, with 7078 votes that count. Clannad ~After Story~ has 4,152 favourites, when it has 23746 votes that count...

Even if you include all votes, Gintama still has a higher proportion of favourites... If I had to take a rough estimate, I'd say around 60% of people who have completed Gintama has it in their favourites.

That may be so, but perhaps Gintama has little competition in its type of comedy. Touching drama may be a category that more anime are created for, and moe certainly is. Besides, I find it strange to add something as a favorite before finishing it. I suppose to you it may only be strange until the magical 20% mark is hit.

Ok, maybe not "much", but to get a higher rating it most likely has a higher percentage...

It's just as possible that a lower percentage of people who managed to watch enough of Gintama rated it 7 or below. The ratings are too close for me to make a conclusion on this.

That is because most readers of the Gintama manga come directly from the anime (A fair few earlier chapters of Gintama are not scanlated). And realistically, that is something you would only do if you love the anime.

Like I said before, its mostly because the jokes simply are funnier in anime form...

That does make sense as an offsetting factor, to some degree. I was curious if you'd explain how the anime changed the types of things and not merely their implementations. If it didn't change the types of comedy, main characters, or plot I seriously doubt I would like the anime much more than I liked the manga.

Maybe because they watch the sub instead? And I don't remember any attack with noddles coming out from anyone's nose (if there is, it definitely didn't happen constantly). You've seen 143 eps, when half of them were only introducing the characters... Really, it could be argued that even the first 160 or so (pretty much the whole dub) were only introducing them. Edit: You're reading the manga, I take that back.

Noodles. I said things like that, though, not just that.

My theory is that it's much harder to cheat down ratings on AniDB than it is on MAL. MAL has a higher proportion of low votes for One Piece than AniDB does, which I believe is due to cheaters not trying as much, since it'll just be ignored anyway. Maybe the dub haters explain the decreased proportion of tens on MAL, though. Anyway, taking 160 episodes to introduce some characters was One Piece's choice (filler could've been removed), and if some people don't like that, they should be as free as anyone else to have their voices heard.

Yes, they are rated higher atm. But as you said, One Piece will probably go up to 9.30... All those series have a decent amount of episodes, and have already gotten ridden of some haters (KHR aside). I was commenting mostly on the story though. Oda is a genius. Unlike Gintama, pretty much everyone would agree that the anime adaption of One Piece is nowhere near the quality of the manga (the anime isn't adapted too bad, but it could easily be better.)

One Piece will probably be unfairly boosted to something like 9.30 unless the system is changed, yes. One Piece's story is better than Bleach's is to me, but I don't see it as being so amazing. I'm not huge on shounen other than Hunter x Hunter, though. Anyway, "nowhere near" is quite an exaggeration. If that was the case the anime would be rated under seven. ;p

madaodono said:
Ha ha Gintama is finally 0.02 points down after some major trolling. I am not terribly convinced Clannad is being trolled as well as there is no change in its score...but this is the internet, anything can happen.

I seriously like the idea of an alphabetical Top 20 mentioned sometime before on this thread. After all, its just a list for recommending new anime.

Clannad went down 0.01 after Gintama took first place from it. It also had proportionally more 1s than Gintama the last time I checked. Most of those were from previous trolls, but that's still trolling.

Apr 1, 2010 11:40 PM

Mar 2009
Is it also because that Gintama has more episodes too?

You guys are just so lame. To quarrel over this kind of things. As long as Clannad stay true to your heart , it should be good enough and just don't bother about other people rating's of Gintama.

Also if Clannad fans continue to troll Clannad , i don't see why we can still call them 'Fans' as they're not staying true to clannad -.-
Mokyuu♥~!!

Apr 1, 2010 11:43 PM

Aug 2008
I think the post-Gintama Clannad ~After Story~ rating drop was caused by a combination of Gintama fans and ~After Story~ haters.

Apr 2, 2010 12:08 AM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:

Their opinion is accurate to them, as that's how they feel. The overall rating needn't exclude them to suit the tastes of an "elite" who liked the anime more. Anyway, were it shown likely, would you accept a 12 episode maximum requirement for scores to count, since people in general don't usually change their scores by much past that point? If not then it would appear that you're more concerned with biasing things towards your interests than fairness.
Elite - no, seen at least enough of the anime to make a conclusion - sure. I'd prefer the current system over a 12 episode maximum... I'm not simply biasing things towards my own interest, but the simple reality is that on a 26 or so episode anime, a person's rating may not change much after the halfway point, but on one that's over 100, it more than likely would change after 12 episodes.

Anyway, those points are just personal opinions, and it seems like neither of us are backing down, so lets just drop that point for now.

My point stands, because releasing eight horrible episodes in a row would make most people unwilling to continue watching HorribleSubs episodes. Also, you can hardly call the rating unfair when you claim to be one of those contributing to how low it is.
They released them in a batch - not in a row, which makes a fair bit of difference.

Now in no way am I saying horriblesubs are good, what I'm saying is the translation quality is good. I have never watched an episode by horriblesubs - I watch them on Crunchyroll.

As I said, Gintama being hard to marathon would be Gintama's fault. It can take all the blame. :) You can use AniDB statistics if you like. Most people haven't gotten far in Gintama yet.

I can't argue that it is not Gintama's fault, but the style of the anime is what makes it good... I'd rather an amazing, hard to marathon anime than a shitty marathonable anime..

The problem is general in nature, so it makes sense to recognize what happens in general. As to comments on Rumbel's (not Rumble's) website, I would hardly find it surprising that they were more supportive of Rumbel than Gintama.
The situation is a bit different when there has been a quality subber going for years, who still are even though they are as slow as hell. And I'm not talking only about Rumbels website - it was just an example... Other places include Crunchyroll itself, and plenty of other anime forums. As for me spelling the name wrong - that's what bookmarks do...

That may be so, but perhaps Gintama has little competition in its type of comedy. Touching drama may be a category that more anime are created for, and moe certainly is. Besides, I find it strange to add something as a favorite before finishing it. I suppose to you it may only be strange until the magical 20% mark is hit.
It's true that Gintama has little competition, but it is not just a simple comedy anime. It pretty much does 80% of genres in the arcs later on, all done at top notch quality. This includes Romance, Horror, and Touching drama (Sure, the Touching drama is not as good as Clannad ~After Story~, but not far from it even in the few episodes it takes up).

Once again, you may find it strange, but people do tend to favourite long ongoing animes before they end... And no, I'm not going on a magical 20% mark, but the majority of people who do favourite Gintama tend do it between episode 50-150 mark.

It's just as possible that a lower percentage of people who managed to watch enough of Gintama rated it 7 or below. The ratings are too close for me to make a conclusion on this.
That is true, but I personally believe it is more 10s. Either way, it makes no difference really...

That does make sense as an offsetting factor, to some degree. I was curious if you'd explain how the anime changed the types of things and not merely their implementations. If it didn't change the types of comedy, main characters, or plot I seriously doubt I would like the anime much more than I liked the manga.

Gintama is definitely not a word for word adaption, and quite a bit of humour is added (often in small segments at the start/end)... Also fillers in Gintama, although not many, are often funnier than the original material.

The sheer amount of text in the Gintama manga is what makes it less entertaining for me personally. 1 chapter usually takes 10 or so minutes to read... and I'm not a slow reader. It is definitely takes the longest time I've seen for a 20 page weekly shounen anime... The anime has the same amount of text, but the format makes it more presentable.

Noodles. I said things like that, though, not just that.

My theory is that it's much harder to cheat down ratings on AniDB than it is on MAL. MAL has a higher proportion of low votes for One Piece than AniDB does, which I believe is due to cheaters not trying as much, since it'll just be ignored anyway. Maybe the dub haters explain the decreased proportion of tens on MAL, though. Anyway, taking 160 episodes to introduce some characters was One Piece's choice (filler could've been removed), and if some people don't like that, they should be as free as anyone else to have their voices heard.
I guess I just don't remember pointless characters from 3 and a half years ago...

Even though it is kind of the extension of an above argument, what I'm trying to say is that their votes only reflect what they've seen, when it may get a lot better (or worse) later on. Sure, their votes may be accurate for that portion of the anime, but not for the anime as a whole.

One Piece will probably be unfairly boosted to something like 9.30 unless the system is changed, yes. One Piece's story is better than Bleach's is to me, but I don't see it as being so amazing. I'm not huge on shounen other than Hunter x Hunter, though. Anyway, "nowhere near" is quite an exaggeration. If that was the case the anime would be rated under seven. ;p

What I'm saying is that the others have also had their scores boosted. Sure, it won't be by as much, but I'd think the proportion of low votes in between say episode 50 and 150 wouldn't be as much. The difference between 12, and 50, would be though (IMO at least). This goes for all long animes, and not just One Piece.

And by Story, I was not talking about plot, but rather plot twists... It was kind of hard to put in words.
Apr 2, 2010 12:13 AM

Jan 2010
and gintama goes down down down down down :-)

from 9.09 to 9.07,this is caused either by trolls or,in a bigger part,by people that realise that Gintama is not a "10" series :\
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 2, 2010 12:59 AM

Aug 2008
llamaben said:
Elite - no, seen at least enough of the anime to make a conclusion - sure. I'd prefer the current system over a 12 episode maximum... I'm not simply biasing things towards my own interest, but the simple reality is that on a 26 or so episode anime, a person's rating may not change much after the halfway point, but on one that's over 100, it more than likely would change after 12 episodes.

Anyway, those points are just personal opinions, and it seems like neither of us are backing down, so lets just drop that point for now.

Yeah, elite enough to meet the standards of others when "justifying" their opinions. I don't view this as important. If someone has an opinion they should be able to express it. I find ratings more useful when they include all honest opinions, not only "worthy" opinions. Who is anyone to judge when something should be voted on and when it should not?

You didn't answer my question about if you'd support a 12 episode maximum, were it fair. ;p It turns out I did look at all 61+ episode series on AniDB, and could not find one with consistently voted upon episodes where the average episode rating went up while the number of votes increased (which does happen for great episodes), nor did I see people often dropping series soon after they had watched 12 episodes. It seems the length boost effect affects episode ratings as well.

They released them in a batch - not in a row, which makes a fair bit of difference.

Now in no way am I saying horriblesubs are good, what I'm saying is the translation quality is good. I have never watched an episode by horriblesubs - I watch them on Crunchyroll.

A horrible batch still turns many people majorly off.

I can't argue that it is not Gintama's fault, but the style of the anime is what makes it good... I'd rather an amazing, hard to marathon anime than a shitty marathonable anime..

I really do find it hard to believe that something can be amazing but hard to marathon (compared to other series), unless it's just so complex or deep that one becomes very tired thinking about it. Was it just too exciting for you? That could limit people with serious heart problems, but I don't think they are very representative of most people. I assume you meant that Gintama is hard to marathon for many or most people, since otherwise would not be representative of watchers other than yourself, and thus would not be useful in this conversation.

The situation is a bit different when there has been a quality subber going for years, who still are even though they are as slow as hell. And I'm not talking only about Rumbels website - it was just an example... Other places include Crunchyroll itself, and plenty of other anime forums. As for me spelling the name wrong - that's what bookmarks do...

I corrected the spelling because you used Rumble in multiple posts, and I thought it would be better if you knew that it is Rumbel. Anyway, I don't know...I think people bitching about the release speed of free fansubs are probably looked upon poorly, so they would probably often hold their tongues.

It's true that Gintama has little competition, but it is not just a simple comedy anime. It pretty much does 80% of genres in the arcs later on, all done at top notch quality. This includes Romance, Horror, and Touching drama (Sure, the Touching drama is not as good as Clannad ~After Story~, but not far from it even in the few episodes it takes up).

Once again, you may find it strange, but people do tend to favourite long ongoing animes before they end... And no, I'm not going on a magical 20% mark, but the majority of people who do favourite Gintama tend do it between episode 50-150 mark.

Well, you favor the 20% mark for scoring, so I assumed favoriting it before then would be unacceptable to you as well. If someone can't know enough to rate something at all then how can they be sure it is a favorite of theirs? If Gintama truly excels at romance, horror, and drama it will be interesting to see how well it does as a finalist in those categories in the 2010 Anime Reactor Community Awards.

That is true, but I personally believe it is more 10s. Either way, it makes no difference really...

Fewer 7- votes supports my belief that people who couldn't take any more of it simply stopped watching or are or have been delaying watching for years, and I consider their opinions just as valid as the opinions of others.

Gintama is definitely not a word for word adaption, and quite a bit of humour is added (often in small segments at the start/end)... Also fillers in Gintama, although not many, are often funnier than the original material.

The sheer amount of text in the Gintama manga is what makes it less entertaining for me personally. 1 chapter usually takes 10 or so minutes to read... and I'm not a slow reader. It is definitely takes the longest time I've seen for a 20 page weekly shounen anime... The anime has the same amount of text, but the format makes it more presentable.

I heard from others that the fillers weren't so good. At least the first two episodes are not especially loved. Anyway, I still don't know how the anime changed the overall type of comedy in Gintama from the manga, if it did so.

Death Note also was very wordy, but it has a considerably higher rating than Gintama.

I guess I just don't remember pointless characters from 3 and a half years ago...

Even though it is kind of the extension of an above argument, what I'm trying to say is that their votes only reflect what they've seen, when it may get a lot better (or worse) later on. Sure, their votes may be accurate for that portion of the anime, but not for the anime as a whole.

You don't, but others do, and Noodlegate is just an example of a type of thing that happens in One Piece. Some people are -_- towards things like that.

If something fails to make someone want to continue I place all of the blame on that thing. The job of anime and manga is to overall effect a comparatively more desirable emotional state upon the watcher or reader; it is what drives sales, which is what returns money to their creators, who need money to live and also desire money for other things.

What I'm saying is that the others have also had their scores boosted. Sure, it won't be by as much, but I'd think the proportion of low votes in between say episode 50 and 150 wouldn't be as much. The difference between 12, and 50, would be though (IMO at least). This goes for all long animes, and not just One Piece.

And by Story, I was not talking about plot, but rather plot twists... It was kind of hard to put in words.

Well, for Gintama the rating boost was about 2.5 times as large as what appears to be the average boost for sequels, which just isn't fair. Gintama is so long that it gets boosted much more than sequels do.

The reason I mentioned the plot is because that was a key issue I had with the manga. There was no plot which drew me in. I was asking if a plot which would draw me in was added to the anime. I could only judge this if you were specific about the possible grand changes to the plot the anime made, though.
Daisuki-chanApr 2, 2010 1:06 AM

Apr 2, 2010 1:00 AM

Jul 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
Defiance said:
lmaonade said:

tl;dr
Apr 2, 2010 1:07 AM

Aug 2008
Summary: Gintama is so long that it gets boosted much more than (about 2.5 times as much as) sequels do.

Apr 2, 2010 1:28 AM

Aug 2008
Daisuki-chan said:

You didn't answer my question about if you'd support a 12 episode maximum, were it fair. ;p
I did answer that, without going into too much detail...

I really do find it hard to believe that something can be amazing but hard to marathon (compared to other series), unless it's just so complex or deep that one becomes very tired thinking about it. Was it just too exciting for you? That could limit people with serious heart problems, but I don't think they are very representative of most people. I assume you meant that Gintama is hard to marathon for many or most people, since otherwise would not be representative of watchers other than yourself, and thus would not be useful in this conversation.
The same applies to most comedy based animes/mangas... You don't have many on your list which are primarily comedy without too much of a main story, so its understandable that you haven't noticed this. And no, its not because it was too exciting, nor has anything to do with serious heart problems. Comedy animes are there to entertain, not to make the reader want to know what happens next, or how it happens. This is completely opposite to sports animes (which are extremely easy to marathon), and some other mainstream shounens.

Well, you favor the 20% mark for scoring, so I assumed favoriting it before then would be unacceptable to you as well. If someone can't know enough to rate something at all then how can they be sure it is a favorite of theirs? If Gintama truly excels at romance, horror, and drama it will be interesting to see how well it does as a finalist in those categories in the 2010 Anime Reactor Community Awards.
The thing is, favouriting doesn't have any noticeable effects to others, while a top 10, or whatever rating system does. As for those Awards, Gintama won't even be nominated... Yes, it excels at those genres, however, they only occupy a very small proportion of episodes (They are generally in 2-5 episode arcs).

I heard from others that the fillers weren't so good. At least the first two episodes are not especially loved. Anyway, I still don't know how the anime changed the overall type of comedy in Gintama from the manga, if it did so.

Death Note also was very wordy, but it has a considerably higher rating than Gintama.

I definitely agree with the first two episodes (which aren't as bad if you don't want them first) - however, there is no other bad filler episode.

The anime didn't really change the type of comedy, its just that to most people, its funnier to hear things, than to read them. Great BGM also help the anime (not only in comedy, but in the other side genres as well).

I've never read Death note as a manga, but I'd assume it is less wordy than Gintama (that is, if the word count is similar to Bakuman... Which is still a fair way away from Gintama). Once again, it is hard to compare with Death Note simply because of the genre.

Well, for Gintama the rating boost was about 2.5 times as large as what appears to be the average boost for sequels, which just isn't fair. Gintama is so long that it gets boosted much more than sequels do.
Once again, I'm arguing that the boost had less to do with the amount of episodes, than the change in the quality of the anime after those episodes.

And honestly, even if it only disregarded 12 episodes, I'd assume Gintama would still be over 8.9, and would probably be sitting in second anyway.

Also, I'd like to add that Clannad ~After Story~ is boosted more by the Sequel affect than other Sequels... Both seasons are almost completely different styles of anime... There are plenty of people who dislike the first, but love the second... If they were together I'd give Clannad a 8, but because they were separate, they get a low 7 and a low 10... I know that season 1 has a decently high rating, and that a lot of people love both, but the reality is After Story is miles better in the views of many people.
llamabenApr 2, 2010 1:42 AM
Apr 2, 2010 6:09 AM

Aug 2008
llamaben said:
I did answer that, without going into too much detail...

You said you would not prefer it even though my question regarded what you'd want if it was fair. What do you want more than fairness, then? Maybe you'll say "fairness" to anime, but anime have no feelings. What should matter is people, who do have feelings. That's how I feel, anyway.

The same applies to most comedy based animes/mangas... You don't have many on your list which are primarily comedy without too much of a main story, so its understandable that you haven't noticed this. And no, its not because it was too exciting, nor has anything to do with serious heart problems. Comedy animes are there to entertain, not to make the reader want to know what happens next, or how it happens. This is completely opposite to sports animes (which are extremely easy to marathon), and some other mainstream shounens.

Maybe I haven't noticed it because I'm not like you. I rated both Excel Saga and Detroit Metal City very highly (my 8.5s are like 11s to most people, if they could rate above 10). I also had no problems marathoning Minami-ke or even Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which I added to the lowest vote category I have above neutral (5.5). Excel Saga is my #11 favorite anime and stars my #3 favorite character. I would love to marathon it if 201 new, higher than manga (¡¡¡which I rated half a point higher than the anime already!!!) quality episodes suddenly appeared. Gintama is your #1 favorite anime and stars your #1 favorite character, but you say it's hard to marathon. Maybe this is common for others, but it doesn't seem like it could happen to me... I just don't know how this could ever happen with my #1 anime unless I didn't like anime much in general.

The thing is, favouriting doesn't have any noticeable effects to others, while a top 10, or whatever rating system does. As for those Awards, Gintama won't even be nominated... Yes, it excels at those genres, however, they only occupy a very small proportion of episodes (They are generally in 2-5 episode arcs).

Favorites have top lists, too. They actually may be more useful to many people (even if they don't always realize it) because things which are rated high but are unpopular for a reason don't get into the top ranks.

Anyway, if those genres are such a small part of Gintama I can hardly say I'd watch it for those things, since it would take dozens of or even 100+ episodes just to get a sample of what I wanted.

I definitely agree with the first two episodes (which aren't as bad if you don't want them first) - however, there is no other bad filler episode.

The anime didn't really change the type of comedy, its just that to most people, its funnier to hear things, than to read them. Great BGM also help the anime (not only in comedy, but in the other side genres as well).

I've never read Death note as a manga, but I'd assume it is less wordy than Gintama (that is, if the word count is similar to Bakuman... Which is still a fair way away from Gintama). Once again, it is hard to compare with Death Note simply because of the genre.

I don't know...I don't think AniDB has many votes for many later episodes of Gintama, so I couldn't "confirm" that even if every last earlier filler episode was rated 7.5+ (which is only neutral, anyway). You're one person, and Gintama is your #1 favorite, so I can't possibly see you as an average Gintama watcher.

It seems that I wouldn't laugh much at the anime either, then.

Death Note has more words than Bakuman, and they require more brainpower to process (per word), too, since Bakuman's conversations and plot are simpler than Death Note's.

Once again, I'm arguing that the boost had less to do with the amount of episodes, than the change in the quality of the anime after those episodes.

And honestly, even if it only disregarded 12 episodes, I'd assume Gintama would still be over 8.9, and would probably be sitting in second anyway.

Also, I'd like to add that Clannad ~After Story~ is boosted more by the Sequel affect than other Sequels... Both seasons are almost completely different styles of anime... There are plenty of people who dislike the first, but love the second... If they were together I'd give Clannad a 8, but because they were separate, they get a low 7 and a low 10... I know that season 1 has a decently high rating, and that a lot of people love both, but the reality is After Story is miles better in the views of many people.

What about people who have issues similar to my own with the anime? You confirmed that comedy (the core of Gintama, without which people like me are left with basically nothing) would still be an issue for me, and as far as I know the main characters and plot would be, too. Unless those latter issues (for those who have them) are fixed watching scores of episodes would not move the rating towards anything above a seven. There's simply no need to watch more for people with issues similar to mine. We'd know that it wasn't good to us, and we'd be right. I suppose it's still possible that the main characters and plot were totally changed in type from the manga, but no one has claimed this. You might say I am truly unique in having these issues, but I'm not egotistical enough to find that plausible.

As for Clannad versus ~After Story~, what you mentioned likely actually decreased the latter's rating, as there was a large reduction in moe and non-Nagisa in the latter. People who wanted more moe or non-Nagisa out of ~After Story~ and didn't care for the Nagisa-oriented drama it was replaced with would often be harsher on it for disappointing them. Besides, it can't be much more highly rated due to its sequel boost without otherwise naturally having a barely higher rating than Clannad, which just doesn't make sense, given that ~After Story~ has more favorites despite having two-thirds the popularity of Clannad and not getting overall franchise favorites by default.

From before:

Here are some other anime with roughly around 201 episodes that ended in or before 2006 (which gives them time to have their popularity levels peak and gives watchers time to finish them): Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Prince of Tennis, Pokemon (which is awaiting my correction of its end date), and InuYasha. These series all have 15 to 44 thousand members, and currently have an unweighted mean completion rate of 59.4%. These four series I mentioned have an unweighted mean rating of 7.49, while Gintama is at least a point higher (adding more would only make it completed even more, making my future result even sillier), so I'll say that Gintama would be completed two-thirds of the time, which isn't even higher than all of the four series.

Gintama wasn't completable until recently and just gained some fame from getting a top rank, so I conservatively expect its popularity rank and level to rise from its current #126 and 24.3% (relative to the leader's 100% popularity level comparison standard) to at least #84 and 30.0%, just below Mushishi (which doesn't seem to me to have the general appeal Gintama does).

Two-thirds of 30% is 20%, and 60% of that is 12%. 12% of 109,594 is about 13,151. Death Note has 14,287 favorites right now, and Bleach has 11,241. Gintama would then have risen to second place in favorites. Realistically, though, there's no way in hell this will happen for any series not in the top ten most popular unless it had 80% tens, 16% nines, 3.2% eights, and 0.8% lower scores as its scores, which no anime or manga is anywhere near having.

Therefore, according to what you said about favorites per completion, hardcore fans of Gintama must be heavily overrepresented in the group of people who have completed it, just like I said, and these people probably do give out about 80% tens, if not more. Gintama's current rating remains rather unrepresentative of its watchers.
Daisuki-chanApr 2, 2010 6:35 AM

Apr 2, 2010 6:17 AM

Mar 2009
Oh well, now the average score is 9.07. It's decreased.
Apr 2, 2010 6:17 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, it's still going. Dunno what's the fuss about. Clannad clearly doesn't deserve a perfect score (few exceptionally wel done scenes, horrible deus ex machina plot device). It's arguable whether Gintama deserves it. Meh, it's spring. Some people should go outside catch some fresh air. Your brain relly needs it to function properly...

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 2, 2010 6:24 AM

Aug 2008
Ten is rarely considered a score only given to perfect things. If people almost never gave out tens nothing here would ever have an overall rating nearer to nine than eight.

As for receiving perfect scores, Clannad ~After Story~ was, to most, 12+ for enough episodes to make up for any flaws it had. Also, I believe most people felt relieved at and/or happy about the ending, although I didn't like it, either.
Daisuki-chanApr 2, 2010 6:36 AM

Apr 2, 2010 7:54 AM

Nov 2008
clannad4ever said:
and gintama goes down down down down down :-)

from 9.09 to 9.07,this is caused either by trolls or,in a bigger part,by people that realise that Gintama is not a "10" series :

I'm sure the 'bigger part' do realize It definitely is a "10" series. It makes no sense for a person to watch 201 episodes then rate it anything below a 7. Unless you of course, have nothing better to do. Simply said, the majority reason of the score dropping is trolls.

Apr 2, 2010 8:32 AM

May 2008
it's 9.08 again :D

Join my club: The Walking Dead
Apr 2, 2010 8:33 AM

Jan 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
Ten is rarely considered a score only given to perfect things. If people almost never gave out tens nothing here would ever have an overall rating nearer to nine than eight.

As for receiving perfect scores, Clannad ~After Story~ was, to most, 12+ for enough episodes to make up for any flaws it had. Also, I believe most people felt relieved at and/or happy about the ending, although I didn't like it, either.

I understand what you mean and agree with it (I have given quite a few 10s after all). However,after seeing some posts here, and on After Story's board, one might wonder whether it is the best single thing since sliced bread. That's why I don't understand the drama about the score. It's an average rating after all.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 2, 2010 10:23 AM

Aug 2008
Until that one special anime appears that receives 80% tens, 16% nines, 3.2% eights, and 0.8% lower scores as its scores we probably won't be able to generally agree on what is best. Only Clannad ~After Story~, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2, and Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen are serious contenders for the throne here. Others have very skewed ratings and/or too little popularity, or are rated too much lower for me to accept them as "the people's choice".

My vote for best doesn't count since I'm spending it on Hunter x Hunter. Of those four I vote for R2 as the best. For me R2 - 1.5 = AS, AS - 2 = TTGL, and TTGL - 0.5 = Tsuiokuhen.

However, TTGL is the only one of the four which is the most popular title in its franchise, and thus is likely boosted the least here. AS and R2 are sequels, and Tsuiokuhen is less popular than RK.

AniDB goes AS, R2, Tsuiokuhen, TTGL for those four, and ANN goes AS, Tsuiokuhen, R2, TTGL. On both sites TTGL is trailing by a bit, especially on ANN. If you combine their rankings with MAL's rankings you get average ranks of 1. AS, 2.67. R2, 3. Tsuiokuhen, and 3.33. TTGL. Including other anime (AniDB doesn't consider anime with under 500 votes to be in its official top ten) produces ranks of 1.33 AS, 4. R2, 5.33 Tsuiokuhen, and 9.67. TTGL.

If you don't want to include votes lower than ^~^ you use can the top favorites list instead, which has Death Note as the clear winner here. Among the three sites it would be Fullmetal Alchemist, though.
Daisuki-chanApr 2, 2010 10:59 AM

Apr 2, 2010 10:44 AM

Aug 2009
Gintama has been my fav anime since i started watching it. (Clannad being my second fav surprisingly :P) I think Gintama deserves the place of Number 1.
Apr 2, 2010 12:07 PM

Jul 2009
Clannad trolls on the run again? DAMN YOU CLANNAD4EVER or however you spell your name..
Apr 2, 2010 1:41 PM

Jul 2008
For the hell of it...Neither Gintama or Clannad deserve this shit. >_>;;
Apr 2, 2010 3:17 PM

Aug 2008
All hail Lelouch? X3

Apr 2, 2010 5:09 PM

Apr 2009
Ehe, Gintama is good but number 1? Never, if it's for comedy than Seto no Hanayome would be the 1st on MAL.
Maybe Clannad doesn't deserve that throne, shounen fans don't deserve all that.
KingwelApr 2, 2010 5:16 PM
Apr 2, 2010 5:10 PM

Mar 2009
gomu_ninguen said:
it's 9.08 again :D

Yeah, it is. The score will keep fluctuating.
Apr 2, 2010 6:55 PM

Jan 2008
Kingwel said:
Ehe, Gintama is good but number 1? Never, if it's for comedy than Seto no Hanayome would be the 1st on MAL.
Maybe Clannad doesn't deserve that throne, shounen fans don't deserve all that.

It goes by collective scores, not your opinion.
Apr 2, 2010 7:03 PM

Apr 2010
Who cares. First, second, or last, the two of them are good animes so a top doesn't really matter. Most of the time it's biased.
Apr 2, 2010 11:11 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, just notice Gintama in 1st place after seeing this thread.
Never though I'd see the day when it would happen.
Gintama has sure gotten a lot more recognition on here in the last couple years.

Though still a bit bummed about the anime series ending. I hope the its starts back up soon.
Apr 3, 2010 12:32 AM

Jan 2009
The reason it's ranked #1 now is because the majority of the people who were watching Gintama had not rated it until the series ended. Most giving it a score of ten when it ended shot it up too number 1#.

It very simple actually, I don't rank anime/manga untill Ive completed it. Imagine a vast amount of people ranking very high when a series ends. It explains the Gintama jump from #90+ to #1
Apr 3, 2010 1:37 AM

May 2009
9.07 again >.<

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Apr 3, 2010 1:42 AM

Apr 2009
There are many sensible posts on this thread but I hope it dies soon. Unfortunately for me, l can't stop coming here and getting annoyed by some random post. As for Clannad, i have started playing the game, never actually played a visual novel before this. The funny blonde friend sounds a lot like Shinpachi.
Apr 3, 2010 3:15 AM

Aug 2008
ralphy0103 said:
The reason it's ranked #1 now is because the majority of the people who were watching Gintama had not rated it until the series ended. Most giving it a score of ten when it ended shot it up too number 1#.

It very simple actually, I don't rank anime/manga untill Ive completed it. Imagine a vast amount of people ranking very high when a series ends. It explains the Gintama jump from #90+ to #1

This thread has explained that nearly all of the jump in rating is due to those who haven't watched about 41 or more episodes suddenly not counting in the overall rating. Too few people had completed Gintama on the very day it ended (or even now) for what you mentioned to have been or currently be a major effect.

Gintama's vote distribution didn't suddenly become as good as or better than AS/TTGL/R2/Tsuiokuhen's vote distributions on the day it ended, and I doubt it ever will (unless those four drop a lot in likability in the years to come).

Apr 3, 2010 3:20 AM

Mar 2009
madaodono said:
The funny blonde friend sounds a lot like Shinpachi.

Cuz it's the same VA. And no wonder they're both fucking annoying as hell.
Apr 3, 2010 8:17 AM

May 2009
Damn u trolls... u've done it this time.
Such people who make multiple accounts to vote for their favourite anime disgust me...
What is happening in their heads? Do they have a life??? :@
Apr 3, 2010 8:54 AM

Oct 2009
Shwele said:
Such people who make multiple accounts to vote for their favourite anime disgust me...

u mad?
Apr 3, 2010 7:32 PM

May 2009
Kanichi said:
Shwele said:

u mad?

looks like it....

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Apr 4, 2010 3:41 AM

Feb 2009
9.09, 9.08 , 9.07 , 9.08 9.08 .... lol it's like im watching the stock price rising and falling
Apr 4, 2010 6:56 AM
Jul 2009
9.07 now :P
Apr 4, 2010 7:58 AM

May 2008
neariver said:
9.09, 9.08 , 9.07 , 9.08 9.08 .... lol it's like im watching the stock price rising and falling

it's the battle between the white and dark forces xD

Apr 4, 2010 8:00 AM

Aug 2008
The darkest force is the disenfranchising very heavy episode requirement which makes a 1/3 ten anime outrate a 1/2 ten one. ;p

Apr 4, 2010 8:02 AM

May 2008
Dondake!?

Apr 4, 2010 8:06 AM

Aug 2008
No hablo nihongo.

Apr 4, 2010 8:20 AM

May 2008
Daisuki-chan said:
No hablo nihongo.

oh yeah, you didn't watch Gintama.... no wonder you don't understand what i said...

Apr 4, 2010 8:43 AM

Oct 2009
gomu_ninguen said:
neariver said:

it's the battle between the white and dark forces xD

Not dark and white.
It's a battle between 1evil and 2evil ... dark and darker forces ;P
And no, I don't know wich side is darker...

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Jun 9, 2008

108 by decco6226 »»
Yesterday, 8:11 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zeinzu-sama - Jun 24, 2008

72 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TechDragon - Aug 12, 2008

70 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 79 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

PandaPuff - Sep 10, 2008

163 by Supremestrawhat »»
Yesterday, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 58 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Monochrome - May 13, 2008

101 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 12:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.