Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 11, 2018 9:38 PM

Feb 2017
Now if I'm not using wood glue for a project, typically I end up using a cyanoacrylate (CA) glue.The curing time is by far it's best attribute as is does have many downfalls. Since CA glue has a physical bond rather than a chemical one it tends to be rather brittle, when an activator is used this problem worsens. I recently made a picture frame for a friend of mine and I used a CA glue to bond the miters together. When gluing miters many people have their own special technique I prefer to use titebond III to glue it, once dried cut a slot on the joint and insert a spline. I do this as when the glue soaks into the end grain of the wood the bond get weaker (End grain to end grain really cannot be done well no matter what you use) thus the spline is really what holds the pieces together. When using a CA glue though you get that physical bond which does hold better, on the moulding I was using I put the spline on the inside of the miter rather than the outside (Essentially I used a biscuit) in hopes of it holding better.
I mainly use CA glue as a finish though. I'm certainly not the only woodturner that does this, as it creates a fast shiny and durable finish on small pieces. Really the only things you have to watch out for are the toxic fumes from it curing and getting your fingers stuck onto the piece. Other than my generic recipe for butcher block finish CA glue is my favorite wood finish.

As this is apparently a club for wood glue I figured at least one discussion should be had about glue. Anybody have and opinion on using CA glue?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 7, 2018 2:49 PM
Jul 2017
I tend to use aliphatic resin for most things but I wouldn't bother with anything as strong as Titebond III for a picture frame just regular Titebond would be fine especially with a spline for strength. I use Titebond for all the gluing on acoustic guitars and even with the huge forces at play with the strings under tension I've never had a joint fail. I tend to use super glue (CA) for repairs on older nitrocellulose finishes as it melts into the lacqure and buffs to a high gloss easily. You can do this with poly finishes too although it doesn't form a bond in the same way. I see Gluboost products a lot at the moment with lots of tints for these repairs and used as a finish but I can't get hold of it in the UK yet.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Using wood glue rather than wood filler.

Dudeclank35 - Feb 21, 2018

0 by Dudeclank35 »»
Feb 21, 2018 3:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.