Forum Settings
Forums

Not too new, but never made a proper introduction

New
Oct 5, 2017 8:24 PM

Oct 2014
Hey! I've been on here for years actually, I just never got into the forums side of things. I'm hoping to meet more people to bring about discussions on anime. I write lots of reviews and would like it if I could get some critique or conversation going on about them. Thanks!
Oct 5, 2017 8:27 PM

Jul 2010
Oct 5, 2017 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
Hello, and welcome to the forums!
Oct 6, 2017 5:29 AM

Jun 2016

Hellooo! Welcome to MAL! Enjoy your stay here, especially in the forums. If you're looking for a friend in MAL, feel free to add me!

Have a great day ahead!

(())

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 6, 2017 8:22 AM

Jun 2016
Welcome to the forums! Feel free to add me or chat with me on my profile.
Oct 6, 2017 9:44 AM

Sep 2017
Welcome to MAL !! Feel free to add me if you want to- OwO
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 6, 2017 4:05 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Hey, welcome to the forums

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Oct 6, 2017 4:19 PM

Sep 2017
hi. Welcome to the MAL community and I come in peace.
FOREVER ALONE!! YAAAAAAH!
Oct 7, 2017 9:29 PM

Sep 2016
Hi! Welcome to MAL forums.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 8, 2017 1:09 AM

Sep 2017
Hello! Nice to meet you, I am Mirilita...i wanna try to write a recommendation but am planning always (i like to read ones though :D). so maybe will start soon ;)
Oct 8, 2017 5:53 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to MAL & the forums
Oct 8, 2017 11:12 AM

Oct 2014
Welcome here to the forums, I love your forum icon. Chrono series is amazing <3
Oct 8, 2017 1:01 PM

Aug 2017
Welcome to MAL
Have fun.
Oct 8, 2017 1:35 PM

Sep 2017
Being critical on your rating system is not necassary a bad thing. Iam eager to dive into your reviews and reveal some flaws in my favorite shows.

Iam on the opposite of your rating scala, tend to fanboi and forgive most flaws/downers/fillers in a show. Kinda sad to read that Elfen Lied brought you into Anime and you rate it 6.

For my part, I´d like to set up a rating system based on personal enjoyment+rewatch value. Just joined 1month ago, gotta redo(!) all my ratings...for real, no counter judgement yet - I got puppy protection!
Maybe you like to reflect on your personal 1-10scale and what you demand from a show to deserve a rating of 10. Looks like you set up a throne and rate anime downwards from it. Wich brings up the question what u´re gonna do if a miracle happens and a new show replaces your ol´timey favorite. Copyright expires someday, Cowboy Bebop S2 soon.

I set up a imaginary rating of 11 for shows that far exceed expectations. Totally up to you what you place on top, but do you really like a lonely throne were 99% of anime you watch does not deserve to even come close?

And to be honest, could you ever think of an trainstation without NGE flashbacks?
Every Anime got its jokes meant for another audience, its totally unecassary fanservice, out-of-canon/WTF moment and its filler moment aka showing landscape or the sky just for funzies and budget issues.

If you setup your ratings on an 1-100% scale, you will get disapointed by most of the shows. Let me bring up Nichijou here(Comedy anime, not on your list, whatever); would I rate it 5/10 because I laughed at 50% of the jokes? Nah, I rate it 8/10 because I had at least 10 minutes pure enjoyment every episode. Would even give it a 9/10 but the last third of the show(26 episodes) let me down a bit.

You asked for 'critique or conversation' and I hope I delivered. Being critical is not a bad thing, you brought up Texhnolyze/Serial Experiments Lain/Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu to my PTW list. If you´re that critical there must be some serious mindfuck going on there. Heard of Texhnolyze b4, but keep in mind that Iam not even watched Steinsgate yet! On my PTW list and I will get there soon.
Oct 9, 2017 2:34 AM

Oct 2014
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll add the ones that wanted friends.

SheDeViLz good thing you came in peace, I was afraid I was gonna have to go kaioken x20 on you!

Mirilita you should just write a recommendation right this moment! Open it up and start typing. That's the only way to start.

Capcum thanks! Muramasa was really good too! Bath scenes are life.

Dustbreath I am too dissapointed by Elfen Lied having a 6, but I am too about a lot of things falling so low on my list. K-On! is one of my most enjoyed animes and it's right there too :(. It's just a matter of how I rank things. Can't put Elfen Lied with Madoka. Also, I'm looking for my next number 1 anime! I don't watch an anime if I don't think it can get there. Also Evangelion is not up there by itself for no reason. I wish I could put more things there, but nothing really measures up. I cant' have an 11. I have a 0 though, with SAO in there alone. On another note, good shows don't have any of those things you mentioned. Aside from jokes to relieve tension, but those aren't bad things. Lain and LotGH don't have ANY fan service. In Evangelion it's not unecessary as it helps build Shinji's character. There's a reason why Shinji is the focus of ALL fan servicey scenes. And those "filler moments" you mentioned, if used like that, are meant to give the audience a break to think about the previous scene and transition into the next. They should never be pointless or feel like filler if they're done correctly. Now I sound like I'm critiquing your comment LOL. Not at all what intended, it's just how I think and talk. Anyways, don't watch something just because I gave it a high score, especially those 3 you mentioned. They're not for everyone, I'd recommend reading mine (shameless self promotion), and other's, reviews to get a feel on whether you should watch them or not. They're all extremely slow paced compared to anything that's come out in the past ten years. A lot of people find that off putting. Lain and Texhnolyze don't even have any jokes or comedic relief. Grueling.
Oct 9, 2017 9:47 AM

Jan 2011

Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll enjoy yourself in here. Feel free to add me if you'd like to. :3
Oct 9, 2017 2:43 PM

Sep 2017
Falco2424 said:
They're all extremely slow paced compared to anything that's come out in the past ten years. A lot of people find that off putting. Lain and Texhnolyze don't even have any jokes or comedic relief. Grueling.

Thats a bummer right there. I don´t have the time right now to watch alot of anime, and that won´t change in the near future. Thats why I settle on lightweight/Comedy right now. Nothing that takes much of my time or anything I need to memorize to enjoy. The very reason Steinsgate is still waiting...When Im going to watch it I like to finish it withan a week(end), and not over the span of 4-8 weeks. Just like in the old days...First time NGE took me 3or4 days...

It's just a matter of how I rank things.

So, whats your technique? Some set up a complex rating system including math, some are just going with their guts(guilty).

I tend to stay away from review beforehand, since they are never spoiler free. But afterwards, I tend to take a look, maybe I missed some important piece of information. Only if Iam unsure that I would enjoy a certain anime, then I question some reviews.

The last 'review' I got was from a RL friend who kept mentioning SOA. That pretty much ruined the whole show for me, since I was expecting something good. After ten episiodes "Don´t worry, it´s good, it´s gettin better!" 'Ya sure...?'
But I endured it, just so I can trashtalk it now. I was unaware that 0 is a legit rating. I did start with an MAL-mobile app, and 0 was no rating.
I kinda write a review on SOA for personal REHAB, just to cope with it. Changing my rating from 2 will definatly help.
Oct 10, 2017 3:53 AM

Oct 2014
Chiradori: Thanks! Will do!

Dustbreath if you don't mind I'll PM you from here to avoid bumping this any more. There's rules on that. My process for rating things is extremely complex, I was going to make a blog post about it but I'll let you have an insider look until I make that post. But yeah, somewhat ironically, I don't read reviews or anything before watching things because I like to make my own opinion without anyone else's influence. I got deceived into watching SAO just by its hype at the moment. I made it to 18 episodes because two of my friends and I were watching it making fun of it the entire time lol. 0 is not a legit rating, I was just saying it was just like your imaginary rating for 11, I have a 0 lol.
Oct 10, 2017 8:40 AM

Apr 2017
Welcome here , feel free to add me

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

More topics from this board

» hihi!!

aniiaya - Apr 25

7 by MeguSae38 »»
Yesterday, 2:40 AM

» Hello everyone!

Palash_6 - Apr 24

29 by Palash_6 »»
Apr 25, 8:24 AM

» introduce my activity

loligoth666 - Apr 22

10 by loligoth666 »»
Apr 25, 8:06 AM

» Hi everyone

fdasfdsadsa - Apr 23

5 by YanYan »»
Apr 25, 7:48 AM

» no longer lurking, always happy to befriend somebody!

not-perfect - Apr 23

12 by YanYan »»
Apr 25, 7:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.