Forum Settings
Forums

The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, and Ghibli in 2010

New
Feb 28, 2010 12:41 PM

Dec 2008
Anyone else looking forward to Takahata/Ghibli's adaptation of Tale of the Bamboo Cutter? This very old and popular folktale has been referenced and reinterpreted in countless anime and manga including Mushishi, Turn-A Gundam, Mononoke, Queen Millennia, Planet Ladder, and Kaguya-hime (by Reiko Shimizu). Possibly in Please Save My Earth as well, albeit more vaguely...

I for one cannot wait to see Ghibli's take on it! Isao Takahata's first film since My Neighbors the Yamadas, breaking his decade-long hiatus. I'm more excited about this than I am about Arrietty, at the moment...

With these, Ghibli's Level5 collaboration Ni no Kuni: The Another World (so like, I need a DS now), a new short on the way from Miyazaki, and a bunch of Ghibli movies getting released on Blu Ray this summer, 2010 should be a very good year for Ghibli fans.
Mar 11, 2010 1:37 PM
Mar 2010
This should be interesting. I've read the book and it was pretty good, anime should be even better, considering Ghibli will be working on it.
Mar 11, 2010 2:48 PM

Oct 2009
I am looking forward to it! ^_^ Hopefully it comes out soon... but I can catch up on other Ghibli movies I haven't watched yet until then lol
Aug 5, 2011 1:18 AM

May 2011
I would love to know too about when this film will be made. The story seems really interesting. Studio Ghibli always creates a brilliant atmosphere in all movies it has mde till now. Plus since Tale od the Bamboo Cutter is a Japanese folktale it will be even more interesting to see it animated.

More topics from this board

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

52 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
12 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

45 by Horshu »»
39 seconds ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 32 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

49 by Zimmu »»
13 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

47 by LoveYourEyes »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.