Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2016 9:32 PM

Mar 2014

What are you reading right now and what do you think about it so far?
Shinichi-KunAug 10, 2016 10:43 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 10, 2016 8:44 PM

Aug 2012
Wonder if magazines count :')

Reading Reader's Digest July'16 Ed. You can also find the online article here.

I usually go through the jokes section first, then the smaller articles, then proceed to the longer ones.
Currently reading an article about a little girl named Elin, written by Lisbeth Pipping.

Elin is a foster child to couple Marie and Jonas. She's really tuned to the family to the point that the author thought the were biologically related. And well, read the tale to know more :D

Aug 11, 2016 1:54 AM

Mar 2014
Here are some of the books I am currently reading:

Winter World by Bernd Heinrich, which I so love my MAL and GR profiles are respectively rabbit and hare (they are different!). Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. I was enchanted by du Maurier's Rebecca that I decided to try this one. I love the writing style but the pace is slow. Ico: Castle in the Mist by Miyuki Miyabe, which is not as interesting as her other fantasy work Brave Story (think that one has been turned into anime). And finally Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

aa-dono said:
I usually go through the jokes section first
So did I, lol. Used to read Reader's Digest when I was younger but now my magazines of choice have changed.
Aug 11, 2016 2:19 AM

Aug 2010
Haary Potter and the cursed child. And Betman Apolo, the most unusal book about vampires I have ever read. It is sequal to Empire V :)
Aug 12, 2016 2:01 AM

Aug 2012
Currently reading a manga: Higurashi lalalal (title too long)

Anyway, there's a poem in it that I found interesting so I would very much like to share it ^^
I can't cure your thirst
Because you who is seeking the truth does not admit the truth

I can't cure your thirst
Because the truth that you expect isn't there

But still I want to cure your thirst
Because I am the one who threw you out into the desert.

- Frederica Bernkastel

Aug 12, 2016 6:23 AM

Feb 2016
@aa-dono omg reader digest jokes can be so hilarious! My cousin has a stack of those so one day we sat there looking through the jokes in each one xD
P.S that's an awesome peom :D
Aug 12, 2016 4:27 PM

Jan 2009
Clark Ashton Smith's The Emperor of Dreams.

I'm trying to read as much of the Fantasy Masterworks series as possible (as well as older fantasy in general) and managed to grab this a while back. Smith was also of interest to me for being in the magazine Weird Tales. He has quite a curious poetic style, although his characters don't stand out to me, it's the setting and atmosphere that manage to shine.

Are you a fan of the video game?
Aug 13, 2016 3:04 AM

Aug 2013
I'm reading a book called Awakenings by Oliver Sacks. So far it's p-good.

I'm reading this awful book for school called My Antonia, by Wila Cather, and it's garbage for the most part, the rest is dumb descriptions of the nothingness that is Nebraska. There's a reason this "Classic American Author" has been largely forgotten by just about everybody I talk to.

This other book for assigned reading is White Noise, by Don Delillo, and I'm five chapters into it, and all I've figured out is that the protagonist teaches Hitler studies at a university in the past, and it's going to somehow link that to be social commentary on modern consumerism. If that doesn't sound like a fun setting for a book, then I don't know what is.

A better book I'm reading is called E=mc^2, by David Bodanis, which is a fairly fascinating history of the equation itself and Albert Einstein's life surrounding the discovery. I'm halfway through it, and it's been pretty gripping so far. It takes a different approach to the equation, first telling the stories of the preceding scientists to Einstein whose advances in their fields made it possible for him to realize the concept. It's definitely helped to explain the importance of the equation, to say the least.

A book I finished just recently is Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain, and if you haven't read this book yet, you need to. It's essentially the story of his life through small vignettes of his culinary misadventures across America, and across the globe. It's possibly one of the funniest books I've ever read, and has made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion to the quizzical looks of anyone in the area. He's a pretty decent writer, believe it or not, and that's certainly what made him famous.
"If you look for a ghost, you'll find one."
Aug 13, 2016 4:44 AM

Mar 2014
Halfsleeper said:
Clark Ashton Smith's The Emperor of Dreams.

I'm trying to read as much of the Fantasy Masterworks series as possible (as well as older fantasy in general) and managed to grab this a while back. Smith was also of interest to me for being in the magazine Weird Tales. He has quite a curious poetic style, although his characters don't stand out to me, it's the setting and atmosphere that manage to shine.
This is my first time hearing of Fantasy Masterworks and I checked the list but I only recognised Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. How many from the list have you read?

Are you a fan of the video game?
No. I am not a gamer. I read it because I liked Miyuki Miyabe's previous work that I had read. I am done with it and it was a fine read, but not great imo. The female protagonist is too damsel-in-distress-ish for my liking. I know that there is a point she is the way she is, but still cannot help disliking that.

LucianRoy said:
A book I finished just recently is Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain, and if you haven't read this book yet, you need to. It's essentially the story of his life through small vignettes of his culinary misadventures across America, and across the globe. It's possibly one of the funniest books I've ever read, and has made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion to the quizzical looks of anyone in the area. He's a pretty decent writer, believe it or not, and that's certainly what made him famous.
I have this book and meaning to read it after I am done with the current memoir I am currently worming my way through. I have heard some good words about this book.

Also, how come you are stuck with such urm, interesting assigned readings? Whose choices were those books?
Aug 13, 2016 11:35 AM

Jul 2013
I am reading The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle now.
Getting close to the end now. It is always nice to read Sherlock Homes stories and see how the mystery gets solved~
Tho sometimes you can guess what will happen too :?

And as for manga it's 3 Gatsu no Lion (The Lion of March)
I am really enjoying it so far. It involves shogi games about that I could understand more while reading manga. And character developement seems nice.
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Aug 13, 2016 6:44 PM

Aug 2013
Zuhra said:
I have this book and meaning to read it after I am done with the current memoir I am currently worming my way through. I have heard some good words about this book.

You should just like, pick it up anyway. You'll get totally distracted from anything else you're reading though.

Also, how come you are stuck with such urm, interesting assigned readings? Whose choices were those books?

I'm only allowed to read stories from the Wayside school of wacky teachers apparently. If you ask me, I learn more from the books I read on my own time than the books I read on borrowed time.
Aug 13, 2016 11:33 PM

Mar 2014
greenwillow said:
I think I have read that one when at high school but don't remember it anymore. Don't spoil it though, as I am planning to read the full Sherlock Holmes collection one day in the future. Have you tried Agatha Christie? You should.

I am really enjoying it so far.
Oh, I love 3-gatsu too! Only realised recently that Sangatsu is the name of the town where the three sisters lived at, though.

Halfsleeper said:
I have a habit of buying and not getting into books until a much later date (I procrastinate a lot).
Oh, don't we all?

The game is very atmospheric, visually beautiful and haunting in my opinion. I don't know how well certain things would translate into book form, although I read it's her own personal interpretation anyway.
Yes, Miyabe said that she had free rein for her story so it did not strictly follow the game. Does Ico attempt to escape the Castle in the Mist and defeat the Queen with Yorda's, well, help in the game too?

LucianRoy said:
You should just like, pick it up anyway. You'll get totally distracted from anything else you're reading though.
Oh, please don't tempt me. My currently reading pile is tall enough as it is, I start on two books every time I finish a book out of greed. You will just make me wallow in guilt.
Aug 14, 2016 12:13 AM

Jul 2013
Zuhra said:
greenwillow said:
I think I have read that one when at high school but don't remember it anymore. Don't spoil it though, as I am planning to read the full Sherlock Holmes collection one day in the future. Have you tried Agatha Christie? You should.
I haven't tried any of A. Christie's books yet but I will try someday in a future :D
Zuhra said:

I am really enjoying it so far.
Oh, I love 3-gatsu too! Only realised recently that Sangatsu is the name of the town where the three sisters lived at, though.
Oh yeah, now that you mention xD When I read manga and whatnot I usually forget the titles so didn't even think of that xd
Aug 14, 2016 1:11 AM

Mar 2014
greenwillow said:
I haven't tried any of A. Christie's books yet but I will try someday in a future :D
Yep, you should. I love Christie more than Sherlock and would love to know your view one day.

Oh yeah, now that you mention xD When I read manga and whatnot I usually forget the titles so didn't even think of that xd
I paid closer attention when I read it recently because in the past, only 2 chapters or so were released each time and I got distracted. And recently when I wanted to catch up after not reading manga for a while I expected there would at most be 10 chapters. But I was wrong, there were 49 chapters! Reading them all at once I managed to pick on finer points that I missed before. Like Rei lives in Shigatsu town if I am not mistaken and he needs to cross the bridge to Sangatsu where the sisters live. Shigatsu is depicted as moodier while Sangatsu is a warm-hearted place.
Aug 14, 2016 1:51 AM

Jul 2013
Zuhra said:
Yep, you should. I love Christie more than Sherlock and would love to know your view one day.
Oh? I started from Sherlock because it looked more interesting than A. C. Alrightee, will see how it will be owo
I paid closer attention when I read it recently because in the past, only 2 chapters or so were released each time and I got distracted. And recently when I wanted to catch up after not reading manga for a while I expected there would at most be 10 chapters. But I was wrong, there were 49 chapters! Reading them all at once I managed to pick on finer points that I missed before. Like Rei lives in Shigatsu town if I am not mistaken and he needs to cross the bridge to Sangatsu where the sisters live. Shigatsu is depicted as moodier while Sangatsu is a warm-hearted place.
Right! It's a torture to wait for each chapter, that's why I don't like to read airing manga but there is just so many of these >..<
Yes yes! I like their interactions and how MC is has a place to return even when he doubts himself :)
Also dat woman who always shows up in Shigatsu -.-
Well I am still midway, can't wait to see what will happen next :>
Aug 15, 2016 7:11 AM

Mar 2014
Medicus by Ruth Downie.
Aug 19, 2016 4:16 AM

Mar 2014
Finished Medicus. It was labelled as historical detective, about a doctor during Trajan and Hadrian's rule, who encountered the cases of missing prostitutes working at a local bar. But it wasn't much of mystery and there are not that many prostitutes that go missing. It focuses more on the doctor's life and the slave he inadvertently saved, along with the depiction of the town Deva (now Chester, England). Entertaining enough if not factually correct for some parts as the author admits, but still disappointed for the lack of mystery.

Now reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Not sure what to read and remembered I had not read Picoult for a while, and checking it on Goodreads, my friends who had read it all liked it.
Aug 19, 2016 4:57 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
Finished Medicus. It was labelled as historical detective, about a doctor during Trajan and Hadrian's rule, who encountered the cases of missing prostitutes working at a local bar. But it wasn't much of mystery and there are not that many prostitutes that go missing. It focuses more on the doctor's life and the slave he inadvertently saved, along with the depiction of the town Deva (now Chester, England). Entertaining enough if not factually correct for some parts as the author admits, but still disappointed for the lack of mystery.

Now reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Not sure what to read and remembered I had not read Picoult for a while, and checking it on Goodreads, my friends who had read it all liked it.

Nineteen minute! I am pretty sure I did read that one but I could barely remember anything now.
Aug 19, 2016 10:13 PM

Mar 2014
_Claire_ said:
Nineteen minute! I am pretty sure I did read that one but I could barely remember anything now.

Just read 100 pages of it and so far I think I like it better than House Rules for example. Makes me wonder if her earlier works are more interesting than new ones.
Aug 20, 2016 2:58 AM

Aug 2012
Just finished Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

It was a confusing start, but was good enough. Allow us to know the kind of personality the narrator (main character: Cath) had.
Then it progress pretty slow; a nice pace, considering the setting of the character.
I like the interactions in the story. It was the one thing that I would say really well done. The banter between characters and the little gesture they had.

But - there's always a but, haha - not a fan of the ending. I feel like there's a lot of build-up in other areas that the author never develop. Funnily, it sort of fits "Fangirl" and "Fanfiction" ideas; where fans are allowed to roam about the story and make up their own tales on what could happen. Not my cup of tea.

I gave it a 3/5 in Goodreads. I like it. For leisure reading.
aa-donoAug 20, 2016 3:03 AM

Aug 20, 2016 4:08 AM

Jan 2014
Just finished Taiko, by Eiji Yoshikawa. It does an excellent job at portraying late Sengoku period developments in Japan, as well as the rise to power of Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Ieyasu, eventually leading to the establishment of the Tokugawa shogunate. It also does so in an entertaining fashion, without really romanticising any of the events or characters. Characters are sympathetic, yet all are with their flaws, and though centered around Hideyoshi, the account given is by no means one-sided. If I had to give one point of critique, it'd be that I felt that there were some pacing issues in the final part of the book (last 200 pages or so), or rather difficulties with presenting the chronology.

I'm about to start on the Tale of Genji. I picked the relatively recent translation by Royall Tyler, which is unabridged and the closest to the original text by Murasaki Shikibu. Some might find that hard to read, but when reading translations, I always prefer the most literal version available, and I never had any problems with reading such translations of old works before.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 20, 2016 4:11 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
_Claire_ said:

Just read 100 pages of it and so far I think I like it better than House Rules for example. Makes me wonder if her earlier works are more interesting than new ones.

I bought the House Rules, The Pact and.. the other one, (too lazy to check). Hopefully I get to like one of them! I saw Change of Hearts but sound like something I wouldn't like so I decided against it.

Oh and I just finished One Hundred Names by Cecilia Ahern. Decent reading if you only start reading but.. other than that, it doesn't impress me much, I kinda wonder if I was wasting my time reading it but it is quite good!... if you are looking for something easy. And not impressive. But not boring.

Gonna start A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.
Aug 20, 2016 4:12 AM

Mar 2014
aa-dono said:
Just finished Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

Fangirl was the first book selected by Tumblr's official book club, the Reblog Book Club. But it is just not my kind of book so I never felt like giving it a try.
Aug 20, 2016 4:14 AM

Apr 2015
Laionidas said:
Just finished Taiko, by Eiji Yoshikawa. It does an excellent job at portraying late Sengoku period developments in Japan, as well as the rise to power of Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Ieyasu, eventually leading to the establishment of the Tokugawa shogunate. It also does so in an entertaining fashion, without really romanticising any of the events or characters. Characters are sympathetic, yet all are with their flaws, and though centered around Hideyoshi, the account given is by no means one-sided. If I had to give one point of critique, it'd be that I felt that there were some pacing issues in the final part of the book (last 200 pages or so), or rather difficulties with presenting the chronology.

I'm about to start on the Tale of Genji. I picked the relatively recent translation by Royall Tyler, which is unabridged and the closest to the original text by Murasaki Shikibu. Some might find that hard to read, but when reading translations, I always prefer the most literal version available, and I never had any problems with reading such translations of old works before.

Ah you like Japanese books? But it sounded like you only read those "ol' books" instead of modern japanese one? Do you read Haruki Murakami?

Talking about The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu, one of my friends finished it and he loved it. He gave 4/5, which is high for his standard, at least. He said it was good :)
Aug 20, 2016 4:28 AM

Jan 2014
_Claire_ said:
Ah you like Japanese books? But it sounded like you only read those "ol' books" instead of modern japanese one? Do you read Haruki Murakami?

Talking about The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu, one of my friends finished it and he loved it. He gave 4/5, which is high for his standard, at least. He said it was good :)

Don't know Haruki Murakami. What does he write about, is it recommended?

I don't have a particular taste for Japanese books, but I do for old books. The last book I read before Taiko was The Alexiad by Anna Komnene. I also read Pushkin, Turgenev, Elizabeth Gaskell, H.G. Wells, and, when I was in high school, large parts of Herod, The Illiad and The Odyssey.
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 20, 2016 4:39 AM

Mar 2014
_Claire_ said:

I bought the House Rules, The Pact and.. the other one, (too lazy to check). Hopefully I get to like one of them! I saw Change of Hearts but sound like something I wouldn't like so I decided against it.

I have not read The Pact and Change of Hearts. I think you confused the latter with the one I mentioned, which was [i]Harvesting the Heart[/]. Harvest is a lesser known of Picoult's works and unlike most of her works, there is no crime or murder in it, just a simple story about romance and relationship with motherhood thrown in.

Get ready to have your heart broken, so I have heard.
Aug 20, 2016 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
Laionidas said:
_Claire_ said:

Don't know Haruki Murakami. What does he write about, is it recommended?

I don't have a particular taste for Japanese books, but I do for old books. The last book I read before Taiko was The Alexiad by Anna Komnene. I also read Pushkin, Turgenev, Elizabeth Gaskell, H.G. Wells, and, when I was in high school, large parts of Herod, The Illiad and The Odyssey.

I should say his book is kinda weird, in a sense but if you love symbolism you could try. I read 3 of his books, I would recommend Norwegian Wood. I am going for 1Q84 but it seems like a long one, so I am going to hold it off a bit.

Also, I think you should try Kazuo Ishiguro. Not my favourite ever author, but many love him.
Aug 20, 2016 4:44 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
_Claire_ said:

I have not read The Pact and Change of Hearts. I think you confused the latter with the one I mentioned, which was [i]Harvesting the Heart[/]. Harvest is a lesser known of Picoult's works and unlike most of her works, there is no crime or murder in it, just a simple story about romance and relationship with motherhood thrown in.

Get ready to have your heart broken, so I have heard.

In sense of crying, or something? I am ready for a heartbreaking, brain-blasting book after my last one.
Aug 20, 2016 4:50 AM

Oct 2012
Murakami tends to be a bit surreal. I've read all his long novels except the one after 1Q84 and my favourite is the 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.' I don't think it matters that much where you start though, most of them are pretty similar in style. Norwegian Wood is the most mainstream and least surreal of his novels.
His style is very western, which is why his books lose relatively little in translation and why they are so popular in the west.
He gets compared to Kafka quite a bit but I haven't read any Kafka yet myself so I don't know.
Aug 20, 2016 4:52 AM

Mar 2014
_Claire_ said:

I should say his book is kinda weird, in a sense but if you love symbolism you could try. I read 3 of his books, I would recommend Norwegian Wood. I am going for 1Q84 but it seems like a long one, so I am going to hold it off a bit.

Also, I think you should try Kazuo Ishiguro. Not my favourite ever author, but many love him.

I think @Laionidas is more of the classical works type.

_Claire_ said:
In sense of crying, or something? I am ready for a heartbreaking, brain-blasting book after my last one.

I heard it was very, very depressing. We Need to Talk About Kevin had given me enough pain so I am not going to read this anytime soon.
Aug 20, 2016 5:03 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
_Claire_ said:

I think @Laionidas is more of the classical works type.

_Claire_ said:

I heard it was very, very depressing. We Need to Talk About Kevin had given me enough pain so I am not going to read this anytime soon.

Lets see how depressing the writer can make me..
My classical works is very limited though, except Wuthering Heights, Anna Karenina? xD
Aug 20, 2016 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
_Claire_ said:
My classical works is very limited though, except Wuthering Heights, Anna Karenina? xD

I have read neither. I guess I'm a bit of a hipster in that sense; they're too popular for me (>.<)

Seriously though, I somewhat dislike it when an excellent period story is carried fully by a single heavily romantic character. Evgeny Onegin and Gaskell's North and South have that as well, but in the latter case the actual romance is much more sober, while with the former the whole setup is not to tell a period story. Jamaica Inn is a good one too by the way. Not that old, and it's got a strong mystery element to it.

Something else: _Claire_ I don't think any writer can convey depression to an extend that it affects you, considering your avatar and how cheerfull and casual a depiction you have chosen. Lol!
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 22, 2016 10:04 AM

Aug 2012
Just finished: The Queen of Tearling.

I love the main character. I can comment on all the weird things I found in the book, but for now, before I go to bed, I don't want to be critical of this book.

It's satisfying for a start of a fantasy trilogy.

Aug 24, 2016 11:44 AM

Aug 2013
I picked up Catch-22 the other day, and I'm strongly questioning why I never read this book sooner. It's absolutely hilarious.
Aug 24, 2016 7:13 PM

Apr 2015
Laionidas said:
_Claire_ said:

I have read neither. I guess I'm a bit of a hipster in that sense; they're too popular for me (>.<)

Seriously though, I somewhat dislike it when an excellent period story is carried fully by a single heavily romantic character. Evgeny Onegin and Gaskell's North and South have that as well, but in the latter case the actual romance is much more sober, while with the former the whole setup is not to tell a period story. Jamaica Inn is a good one too by the way. Not that old, and it's got a strong mystery element to it.

Something else: _Claire_ I don't think any writer can convey depression to an extend that it affects you, considering your avatar and how cheerfull and casual a depiction you have chosen. Lol!

Now I have finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, I have to say that you are wrong.

This book, if not one of the best one I have read, it is definitely the book that changes my life. In a subtle way, probably. But, how many books can actually change the way you look at things, your perspective, your feeling? For me, it is almost none, but this book blows it. I don't know when I will recover from the devastating effect of this book. Probably soon. Or later, or days, or months. I don't know.

About the depressing thing, yes. I was moaning how huge the book is, and in an hour I can only finish 35 pages of it. And It has 720 pages. I will tell you this: It is the most heart-breaking, most depressing, book I have ever read. Those 20-24 hours (I lost track of time, but at least that much) I spent just to read the book is the time when I feel like I am actually living. As much as the book is thick, I feel like if the author just takes a paragraph out of it, it will change. It will not be the same.
Aug 25, 2016 3:24 AM

Aug 2010
I am currently re-reading The Master and Margarita. I read it few years ago, but I wanted to see will my opinion about that book change.
Aug 26, 2016 10:35 PM

Mar 2014
Halfsleeper said:

I won't say much about it yet, but I'm finding that the writing style flows quite well for me.

Many people who have read Rebecca said that and I agree with it. The style is consistent in her other works too.

LucianRoy said:
I picked up Catch-22 the other day, and I'm strongly questioning why I never read this book sooner. It's absolutely hilarious.

Seriously? It's like the most horrifying book for me and I don't dare to pick it up because well, everyone knows why this infinite conundrum of A cannot be done unless B is done first but in order for B to be done A must have been done is called catch-22.

_Claire_ said:

Now I have finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, I have to say that you are wrong.

This book, if not one of the best one I have read, it is definitely the book that changes my life. In a subtle way, probably. But, how many books can actually change the way you look at things, your perspective, your feeling? For me, it is almost none, but this book blows it. I don't know when I will recover from the devastating effect of this book. Probably soon. Or later, or days, or months. I don't know.

About the depressing thing, yes. I was moaning how huge the book is, and in an hour I can only finish 35 pages of it. And It has 720 pages. I will tell you this: It is the most heart-breaking, most depressing, book I have ever read. Those 20-24 hours (I lost track of time, but at least that much) I spent just to read the book is the time when I feel like I am actually living. As much as the book is thick, I feel like if the author just takes a paragraph out of it, it will change. It will not be the same.

So the reputation is right.
Aug 27, 2016 4:43 AM

Mar 2014
Finished Nineteen Minutes, it was heartbreaking though on second thought there were still many holes and questions left unanswered. But I loved it anyway.

And then a YA, Don't Judge A Girl by Her Cover which is the third of the Gallagher Girl series and about girls and spy school. I wanted to relax by reading something light but ugh, this was a suffering to read. I loved the first book in the series but after that it just sort of went downhill. This book did pick up a bit though near the end.

Now reading Blue Is for Nightmare which @Shinichi-kun suggested for the Bi-Monthly Book Discussion, and also a YA. And another book is a non-fiction by by favourite documentary host, Lucy Worsley A Very British Murder. I have watched the four episodes documentary and loved it.
Aug 28, 2016 3:11 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:

_Claire_ said:

So the reputation is right.

Do you have plan to read it in the future, knowing its reputation?
Aug 28, 2016 4:14 AM

Mar 2014
_Claire_ said:

Sure. Not like it is boring or has characters stupid enough to make me want to claw someone's eyes out, right?
Aug 28, 2016 4:36 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
_Claire_ said:

Sure. Not like it is boring or has characters stupid enough to make me want to claw someone's eyes out, right?

I skipped classes just to read the books and I ignored all of my homework just to read it.. so no it isn't boring at all, if anything it is far from boring (in my perspective) coz this book is one of the best ever I know :3

But I wont reread it as I don't wanna go through the mental punishment of reading the book. It affects me to the point I can't sleep at all unless I am extremely tired (yeah it happened. Really.)
Aug 28, 2016 10:30 PM

Mar 2014
_Claire_ said:

I skipped classes just to read the books and I ignored all of my homework just to read it..

Wow, that dedication, lol. I think the farthest I ever go is reading while walking.

But I wont reread it as I don't wanna go through the mental punishment of reading the book. It affects me to the point I can't sleep at all unless I am extremely tired (yeah it happened. Really.)

Someone said something like that about Kevin. He said he liked it but he would not re-read it. I guess this book is kinda like that, which is why I cannot read it anytime soon because right now I am not in the mood for it. Not to mention I cannot read as fast as you so I will go through the suffering longer~
Aug 28, 2016 10:50 PM

Aug 2012
_Claire_ said:
I skipped classes just to read the books and I ignored all of my homework just to read it..
This happened to me back when I was reading Wuthering Heights, Eragon trilogy, and Robin Hobb works.

I will give this book a try. Once I figure out how to get it

Aug 31, 2016 6:26 AM

Apr 2016
I'm reading The Plague by Albert Camus. It's pretty awesome! It gets really droll as it's about the bubonic plague hitting a more modern version of an Algerian port. It's an existentialist classic, so it's like 99% about how life is meaningless and everything sucks. I like it well enough though! It's pretty good!

Aug 31, 2016 10:53 PM

Mar 2014
PopuraChan said:
It's an existentialist classic, so it's like 99% about how life is meaningless and everything sucks. I like it well enough though! It's pretty good!

Why do you like it even though it is about how how life is meaningless? Is it because the questions posed are somehow relatable or do you like the writing style or something else altogether?

Finished Blue Is for Nightmares. So so imo, but not a waste of time. And also Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier. Beautifully written as ever, words that flow like water - seamlessly, effortlessly. With enough tension thrown in. A pity I don't like pirate so just like with Bram Stoker's Dracula, because I just can't like vampires, there is a limit to how much I can enjoy such stories.

Now starting on Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club which is 600 pages *gasps* Didn't realise it was that long when I started it. And P. G. Wodehouse's Piccadilly Jim and Patrick Ness's The Rest of Us Just Live Here. Wodehouse is my favourite humour writer, like Christie I read him carefully and in small doses because I don't want to run out of him too soon.
Sep 1, 2016 3:45 AM

Oct 2012
I really should read The Plague and some of Camus' other works. I enjoyed reading The Outsider/Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus.
Sep 1, 2016 4:11 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
_Claire_ said:

Wow, that dedication, lol. I think the farthest I ever go is reading while walking.

Someone said something like that about Kevin. He said he liked it but he would not re-read it. I guess this book is kinda like that, which is why I cannot read it anytime soon because right now I am not in the mood for it. Not to mention I cannot read as fast as you so I will go through the suffering longer~
aa-dono said:
_Claire_ said:
This happened to me back when I was reading Wuthering Heights, Eragon trilogy, and Robin Hobb works.

I will give this book a try. Once I figure out how to get it

*cough*

Just wanna say coz I forget....

Read it on your happiest day. I read it when I am having a normal day, and when I need to put it down, it feels like there is heavy bag behind you and no matter how much you try to walk you know it is futile -- kind of feeling. Or the feeling so powerful that you can... I dont know. Like you want to die instead of living. Being scared of future. Etc etc. Anyway I dont know how to emphasize it but DONT read if when you are down/upset/something.

Trust me.

It will make your day 1000x worse. I have yet to read about Kevin to compare which book is more depressing. As I have got a copy and I feel like I should read it soon as if it is exam time, I will be very very... lets say, out of control.... (not going berserk)

But...

It is one of the best books out there. But I read the review, and I agree a bit about people who gave it five one stars... yet. I dont even dare to think about the story, it makes my heart bleed. Literally bleeding. And I am not exaggerating. At least not now. xD
Sep 1, 2016 4:42 AM

Mar 2014
_Claire_ said:
Read it on your happiest day. I read it when I am having a normal day, and when I need to put it down, it feels like there is heavy bag behind you and no matter how much you try to walk you know it is futile -- kind of feeling. Or the feeling so powerful that you can... I dont know. Like you want to die instead of living. Being scared of future. Etc etc. Anyway I dont know how to emphasize it but DONT read if when you are down/upset/something.

That's a pretty tall order. Just when am I supposed to find a happy day to read this book? :/
Sep 1, 2016 4:47 AM

Apr 2015
Zuhra said:
_Claire_ said:

That's a pretty tall order. Just when am I supposed to find a happy day to read this book? :/

I dont know, read on your own... risk? I have warn ya. Tbh, Zuu-chan.

I have feeling you might not like this book. I dont know.

Anyway it is a lonnnggg journey. Reason I read so fast because that book affected so much that I could barely, barely functioning beside eating waking up sleep and taking a shower. I cannot concentrate on my study. I need to end my suffering soon as possible.
Sep 1, 2016 6:23 AM

Apr 2016
Zuhra said:
PopuraChan said:
It's an existentialist classic, so it's like 99% about how life is meaningless and everything sucks. I like it well enough though! It's pretty good!

Why do you like it even though it is about how how life is meaningless? Is it because the questions posed are somehow relatable or do you like the writing style or something else altogether?

I liked it because I had never thought of life as being meaningless, so it was interesting to see the world in a completly different view. I just finished it, and it was hard to read towards the middle, but in the end there is meaning to life again. Existentialism is really interesting because it argues that individuals must make their own purpose for life, but if a group of people share a purpose than it isn't really a purpose (if that makes sense). So in this book, a normal town is ravaged by the black plague, and suddenly their only purpose is to make it out alive, which Camus claims is not a valid purpose. It's depressing, but it was a very interesting viewpoint.
ZurelSep 4, 2016 3:54 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Buddy Read] Persuasion by Jane Austen

aa-dono - Aug 11, 2021

17 by Kit »»
Aug 31, 2021 2:37 PM

» [Game] Post a Quote, a Day

aa-dono - Apr 4, 2018

21 by dsffgjkbk »»
Nov 28, 2020 9:18 AM

» [Closed] The MAL Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society / Fuwa's Reading Challenge 2.0

aa-dono - Jan 2, 2019

6 by mandylorian »»
May 1, 2019 11:02 AM

» Happy New Year !

aa-dono - Jan 2, 2019

0 by aa-dono »»
Jan 2, 2019 1:02 AM

» [Game] Same words, different title

aa-dono - Sep 4, 2017

30 by aa-dono »»
May 25, 2018 2:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.