Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2008 3:08 AM

Jan 2007
I flipped through a bit of the licensed version available in stores now and I gotta say... uhm. Underwhelming. I love the Jigoku Shoujo anime, but I'm doubtful about whether it's worth it to even try the manga form. Something about the medium makes me worry about how it'll turn out, and the fact that they seem to use some of the same plotlines that are used in the anime just screams lazy. I mean really, they're ocming up with a whole third season of more revenge plots -- it's not like you can't just come up with completely new things for the manga.

Also the super shoujo style kinda turns me off.

Someone please tell me this isn't as bad as it looks to me. >.<;;
Mar 25, 2008 1:51 AM

Nov 2007
It isn't as bad as it looks.

It's really really REALLY, okay, well it's not really good, and Some chapters is kinda like the mix-up of the Live Action Series, Futakomori and Season 1.

The first story is kinda like the live action series episode one (although, there has been a few mix-up), second story, is I don't think that the 3 shows have it, but it's pretty confusing. Third Story, is like in Season 1, when the vet refused to treat the dog. And the fourth story, is the typical molesting story abiut a teacher and a student.

I don't really recommend it, but I don't say that you shouldn't buy it.

I also agree that the shoujo style drawing is kinda bit off, it got Ai Enma smiling (REALLY SMILING), for story one and two. Actually, the drawing style is kinda like Sugar Sugar Rune. :<

But, I should just tell you this, if you have extra money, buy it. If you're broke, don't.

(And there's a huge difference between people being sent to hell.
-- The Seal didn't appear till story 3 and 4.
-- Ai releases flowers before the person is tormented.
-- Ai's 3 assistant didn't exactly fit in.
-- And Ai smiled, and never appreaed in her usual black school uniform.)

But like I said, buy it if you want, don't if you don't like it.

Mar 25, 2008 8:59 AM

Jan 2007
Thanks Ryuukishi. I'll probably do that horrible stand-and-read in the bookstore thing. If I end up liking it I'll buy it. Before I was like not even gonna read it, lol.
Apr 15, 2008 3:04 AM

Sep 2007
*sigh* I say the anime is much much better...

The manga... well... it was OK... it had the same plot as the anime, but different stories...

I can say that I only read it because of my love for Jigoku Shoujo... but If I didn't love the anime, I wouldn't have read it...

The story was supposed to be a bit, well, I can't say horror...

The anime was able to pull of some scenes that are a bit "horror", and the background music really helped with the mood...

In the manga, on the other hand, it wasn't even scary at all...

The art is Very Very Very different... yeah... it has become shoujo-ish and I just don't like how big the eyes are... (Plus the manga doesn't have the red eyes and colorful kimono that I love so much...hehe... it is a manga, right? it's supposed to be black and white! XD)

But overall, I'll say it's a disappointment if you already watched the anime...

but if you haven't, you can enjoy this... short stories anyone? ;)

It's not bad... but it's also not good... I'll say it's so-so... :)

(BTW, I still Love Jigoku Shoujo!! and am excited for the third season!!)
Oct 17, 2008 9:52 PM

Nov 2007
Actually, Miyuki Eto (the person who draws the manga) said that it was published in Nakayoshi, which is really meant for young girls, anyways this is what she said in volume 2.

"Nakayoshi is trying to catch more viewers so I tried to make this story a little easy to understand."

So that would explain its shoujo-ish like art. >.<

Although, I'm still gonna buy it. lol.

Dec 15, 2008 3:14 AM

Dec 2008
Not worth buying. There are tons of better manga.
Dec 31, 2008 6:08 PM

Aug 2008
Eh... I just read the first two chapters and both of them seem eerily familiar to me. Not to mention the art style is so shoujo that it's creepy. The storyline is incredibly rushed for each chapter (well, they had to end everything in one chapter) since each chapter has only 40 something pages, so it's not good at building the mood.

The anime is definitely better.

Nonetheless, fans of this series (such as myself) should definitely give it a shot. You won't be terribly impressed, but I don't think you'll throw it instantly into the trashcan. If you're not a fan, then you'd probably be better off without it.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Feb 11, 2009 8:16 AM

Mar 2008
It's still the Jigoku Shoujo I love, I can tell you that much. Besdies, the first volume includes the episodes in the second series.
Nov 2, 2009 9:14 AM
Sep 2009
I bought this one without thinking. It works, just the art style is a real turn off.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jun 11, 2022 7:29 AM
Jul 2020
I’m gonna be honest here, but I agree with the OP.

I know this thread is like 12 years old, but I’m gonna put my two cents in for newer readers. As someone who has not watched the anime yet, you should probably go watch it over reading this adaptation. The reviews on Hell Girl’s manga page should be taken into consideration as well.

The way the manga presents itself is very childish; even though there are serious tonalities in every chapter. The theme of Hell Girl is supposed to be dark, and the artwork did not deliver that. You have panels that did not transition, and sometimes you don't even know what the heck just happened. Also, for some reason 90% of the chapters open with a character making this face expression =[]= and for what? To relieve the nonexistent tension in the manga? The exaggerated faces make it feel like you are reading a comedic manga. The art is cheesy, especially when a character is being sent off to hell. You can't take this manga seriously. Someone like Junji lto should've taken on this kind of project, or anybody that's experienced in horror manga art. If there are “complaints” here about this manga and style being “too shoujo”, would this manga do better without the “shoujo” aspect?

Each chapter is formulated with the same type of female character with repetitive plots and outcome, and barely shows diversity for potentially different scenarios and (male) characters, EXCEPT for the last arc of the manga.
If it's supposed to be like this in the anime, that's fine and all, but this is just a criticism I have as someone who has not watched the show. It makes me wonder if this repetition translates better in an anime format.

What was also weird to me were the many comical panels at the end of each volume. It's purpose is to probably make fun of the "seriousness" of the series, but it didn't really fit in, given how everything else is portrayed in the manga. If the manga artist wanted to make a comedy of Hell Girl, that should be it's own separate manga, like what Attack On Titan Junior High did. The comedy takes away from the drama in Hell Girl (even though the drama throughout the series did not play the part either). So, is this manga horror or comedy?

This is not an adaptation I would recommend, especially if one is an avid horror fan. It was hard getting through the first half of the series; it eventually picks up around volume 7 where it felt more interesting to read and the artwork was more tolerable; to a point.

All and all, this manga is not worth the time and energy. The artwork and context do not blend well in manga format. Please go watch the anime instead.
azenobioOct 20, 2022 4:57 PM
Jan 29, 2023 2:45 PM
Dec 2017
oh yeah this series is defo worth it imo

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hell Hotline?

Sweetlollipop - Jan 19, 2010

6 by Correasonia »»
Mar 1, 2023 11:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Chapter 24 Discussion

azenobio - Jun 9, 2022

0 by azenobio »»
Jun 9, 2022 7:10 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Chapter 2 Discussion

azenobio - May 26, 2022

0 by azenobio »»
May 26, 2022 10:43 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Chapter 7 Discussion

removed-user - Oct 14, 2017

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 14, 2017 12:37 PM

» Hell girl manga ch 1

Djielzz - Aug 13, 2012

0 by Djielzz »»
Aug 13, 2012 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.