Forum Settings
Forums

Things that ruin/make better otherwise good/mediocre anime for you

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 25, 2016 11:27 AM

May 2016
Excessively annoying character voice, bad 3d, forced happy endings.. It's easier to ruin an anime than to make it better, although I find that having a good ost can make an anime I don't like somewhat enjoyable.
May 25, 2016 12:08 PM

Mar 2016
If an anime/manga ends the way I want in regards to shipping, that's a plus 1. Nothing else though.

Ah yes, I'd rank Absolute Duo a step higher since I really liked the OP.
May 25, 2016 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
TheDeadApostle said:
If an anime/manga ends the way I want in regards to shipping, that's a plus 1. Nothing else though.

Like sakurosou and oreimo right? :P
OT- if the op/ed is pretty good along with ost, then that's a plus. Nothing else other than that.
May 25, 2016 12:19 PM

Mar 2016
strider98 said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Like sakurosou and oreimo right? :P
OT- if the op/ed is pretty good along with ost, then that's a plus. Nothing else other than that.

Sakurasou is one of the anime I can't properly rate. The graduation ep was awesome and I totally felt like giving it a 9 for that scene.....But everything else was a drag for me. Especially the first 14 eps.

Oreimo was just trying to trigger me.
May 25, 2016 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
Oreimo, don't get me started on oreimo… Kirino DEFINES how not to execute the tsundere archetype. Whinily annoying little twat.

Entirely CG animation is baaaad for the most part. Got roped into watching Kingdom to see the ugliness of the CG for myself, and boooooyyy, was it painful.

Most ecchiharems have horrible bodily proportions that make the girls bodies an eyesore to look at, let alone watch animated. I keep thinking them hos are gonna break their backs. Now I know anime isn't know for its amazing realism, but the only "ecchi" show I liked was Musaigen because at least Kyoani puts forth some effort into making them look more proportioned. Either way this trope definitely ruins an aestheic value of an anime for me which is why I've dropped so many shows of this nature.

Izaya was one of the worst aspects of Durarara for me. Such an overrated character. Nasu had more potential to be an interesting villain over him because he had backstory potential, Izaya's explained backstory was just pure garbage. Although from another standpoint I wasn't that much of a fan for Shizuo either, I felt his contributions were pretty meager and that he himself was rather bland. I don't really comprehend why those two have such a large fanbase, but whatever, I've accepted that I like the weird and undeveloped ones from that series far moreso than the self proclaimed mains, though to be fair, the character development in it is unfortunately only fixated on the alleged "mains", and everyone else is written off as minor no matter how much potential they have, which was really what angered me about the series overall, the ensemble cast as a whole definitely qualified as an underwritten mass because the author and the animators were pandering, but they were pandering wrongly.
removed-userMay 25, 2016 5:43 PM
May 25, 2016 6:03 PM

Mar 2016
Hmm...
Sometimes a bad crush from a character can really turn me down in a show.Like the typical "he called and grave my boobs and now I love him"
girl.

Something that makes a anime good to me:references to other anime or games,usually than can be pretty funny

May 25, 2016 6:17 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
dizzyur said:
the only "ecchi" show I liked was Musaigen because at least Kyoani puts forth some effort into making them look more proportioned

Phantom World is an "ecchi show"

-fucking dead-

can i roll on the floor laughing now? xD
May 25, 2016 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
Mamster-P said:
dizzyur said:
the only "ecchi" show I liked was Musaigen because at least Kyoani puts forth some effort into making them look more proportioned

-fucking dead-

well, if I could rephrase that, I'd say in some aspects. Although I felt like as eps went by they focused less on the T&A, still searching for what the plot was supposed to be tho

Still better than Durarara Ketsu and Bokumachi man, Musaigens last few eps were filled with feels that the former two stinkers could never evoke, and for me that redeemed the show's rating in comparison. Animation wise it's a 10, blame my Kyoani faggotry, story wise it's a 5-7 plot doesn't go anywhere, but it's cute to watch. The fanservice wasn't bombarding me either. Although all the same I gave it a 6 cuz I'm a mean rater.

There still are ecchi elements though, they're not laid on thickly compared to traditional ecchi, they're tolerable and also well animated from an aesthetic standpoint. If Musaigen is ecchi to some it's one of the best ecchis to ever grace the face of the earth. I'm on the fence about whether it qualifies or not but just refer it as being kinda ecchi ish causally cuz it's kind of there and kind of isnt

On a side note I need to downgrade Bokumachi by another point because as times marched on Ive found myself raging over the ending all the more

Winter season was a trainwreck minus Rakugo and Musaigen lol
May 25, 2016 6:43 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
dizzyur said:
Mamster-P said:

-fucking dead-

well, if I could rephrase that, I'd say in some aspects. Although I felt like as eps went by they focused less on the T&A, still searching for what the plot was supposed to be tho

Still better than Durarara Ketsu and Bokumachi man, Musaigens last few eps were filled with feels that the former two stinkers could never evoke, and for me that redeemed the show's rating in comparison. Animation wise it's a 10, blame my Kyoani faggotry, story wise it's a 5-7 plot doesn't go anywhere, but it's cute to watch. The fanservice wasn't bombarding me either. Although all the same I gave it a 6 cuz I'm a mean rater.

There still are ecchi elements though, they're not laid on thickly compared to traditional ecchi, they're tolerable and also well animated from an aesthetic standpoint. If Musaigen is ecchi to some it's one of the best ecchis to ever grace the face of the earth. I'm on the fence about whether it qualifies or not but just refer it as being kinda ecchi ish causally cuz it's kind of there and kind of isnt

On a side note I need to downgrade Bokumachi by another point because as times marched on Ive found myself raging over the ending all the more

Winter season was a trainwreck minus Rakugo and Musaigen lol

well as an ecchi fan i can tell you Musaigen barely has any ecchi in it.... like... not much lol

if Musagain is an ecchi show then so is Code geass lol, and the only reason i agree its some of the best ecchi is because waifu waifu waifu waifu waifu
May 25, 2016 7:04 PM
Jul 2014
The ending is a major thing for me going either way. For example, don't end at all, or have an ending that makes no sense, and it loses a lot from me.

Some sort of meta commentary can improve my thoughts on a show, deconstructions are one example, but really anything that can subvert normal tropes are something I like.

I also love themes about hope overcoming despair, and love overcoming fear. Maybe these themes are naive and cliche, but I still love them.

Annoying characters are a huge turn off for me. I'm fine with poorly developed characters as long as their likable, but it's very hard for me to get into a show if I hate all the characters.

As someone else said, fake character deaths, when they have a cliffhanger where a character supposedly died, only to find out that they're perfectly fine. If this is done on occasion than I can be okay with it, but some shows use it way too often.

Also, time skips. Very rarely does having time suddenly jump months/years not destroy the pacing.
May 25, 2016 7:31 PM

Nov 2015
Violent tsunderes in most cases turn me off even. There are a few exceptions to that. however.

on the other hand I don't think there isn't just this one thing in particular that can make me like an anime that would've been bad.

It's like if you put sprouts in my vanilla ice cream chances are I might not be able to look past that but if you put a little bit of vanilla ice cream in my sprouts I don't need to try it out to know that I won't like it..
May 25, 2016 7:54 PM

May 2015
One thing won't ruin everything I watch.

Bad things are bad because they fuck up a lot, not because they fuck up once, unless that fuck-up manages to break the world.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
May 26, 2016 4:56 AM

Dec 2014
Things that "ruin" shows I like:

Useless fanservice: If a series primary focus isn't shoving tits and ass in your face 24/7, it should at least be kept to a minimum. (IE: This season's Bakuon is probably the best comedy of the season in my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of that one scene where the teacher starts sexually harassing her students. I'm no PC SJW but I found that scene very hard to watch)

QUALITY animation: When an anime goes off-model, basically. Particularly when its noticeable, but I've never detracted points from shows I liked solely because of bad animation. (IE: KonoSuba; Dimension W also suffered from this a bit in its 2nd half)

Things that "improve" shows I dislike:

Good production values: The reason why I won't give Charlotte and Phantom World scores lower than a 4.

Cute things: Dogs, cats, and yes, lolis (when not hyper-sexualized of course), can sort of brighten up an otherwise dull experience.

Things that "improve" anime in general:

Going in blind: Helps me not be biased when I get to rating a series.
May 26, 2016 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
I don't like anime that have:

- reeeeally bad OPs. I almost didn't watch no. 6 because of the truly awful opening song...

- a super slow plot. I find worldbuildings and monologues boring as all hell and I quickly lose interest in anime if the plot isn't moving ahead at a reasonable pace.

Things that I think improve an anime for me are:

- cute guys (preferably bishounen)

- nicely animated action scenes

- female characters that don't instantly fall into a -dere archetype
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

63 by SaltyCookie »»
1 minute ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

56 by Bruh69XD »»
3 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - 5 hours ago

10 by ColourWheel »»
7 minutes ago

» Most underrated anime you have seen?

HotHamlet - 2 hours ago

13 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 11

58 by MinakoBestGirl »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.