Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for Junji-Ito-like dark twisted horror manga

New
Sep 4, 2015 11:08 PM

May 2015
Dark, mind fuck type of manga, like Uzumaki. The story is compelling, and screwy enough to keep you reading, it's genuinely scary and sadly i've yet to come across any other manga close to it, but im open to ones that are similar c: I've already read Flesh Coloured Horror, Uzumaki, GYO, Kiseijuu, Ibitsu, Yume No Omocha Koujo and Tomie~ arigato in advance
Sep 5, 2015 4:15 AM

Dec 2010
Try Hellstar Remina, Black Paradox (both are written by Junji Ito as well), Fuan no Tane and Fuan no Tane+ (not really a mindfuck type of manga but it's definitely creepy). You can also check out some manga by Kazuo Umezu though the art is pretty outdated compared to today's standards so I'm not sure if you'll like those.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2015 5:21 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Try Hellstar Remina, Black Paradox (both are written by Junji Ito as well), Fuan no Tane and Fuan no Tane+ (not really a mindfuck type of manga but it's definitely creepy). You can also check out some manga by Kazuo Umezu though the art is pretty outdated compared to today's standards so I'm not sure if you'll like those.

Anything by Ito is gold in my perspective~ and thanks i'll check em out, also I don't mind outdated artwork, infact I quite like it, it adds to the surreal horror~
Sep 5, 2015 5:26 AM

Jul 2013
Tokyo Ghoul?
Sep 5, 2015 5:30 AM

May 2015
mahodango said:
Tokyo Ghoul?

Read it, loved it. But not what I'm looking for. Its not about the action, its about the genuine creeps~
Sep 5, 2015 5:33 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:
Corwen said:

Anything by Ito is gold in my perspective~ and thanks i'll check em out, also I don't mind outdated artwork, infact I quite like it, it adds to the surreal horror~

You're welcome ^^

I agree. His version of Frankenstein was perfect.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2015 5:42 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

You're welcome ^^

I agree. His version of Frankenstein was perfect.

And his one shots! Including Tokyo Fish Attack is just brilliant~ It's hard to find manga's like that, isn't it?
Sep 5, 2015 5:47 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:

And his one shots! Including Tokyo Fish Attack is just brilliant~ It's hard to find manga's like that, isn't it?

You're right. I actually planned on reading some of Kazuo Umezu's manga since I wanted more creepy stuff but the art was just too old for me >_< Haven't read much horror manga after I finished most of Junji Ito's works :c Too bad Gyo's anime adaptation failed on so many levels though lmao.
Sep 5, 2015 5:52 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

You're right. I actually planned on reading some of Kazuo Umezu's manga since I wanted more creepy stuff but the art was just too old for me &gt;_&lt; Haven't read much horror manga after I finished most of Junji Ito's works :c Too bad Gyo's anime adaptation failed on so many levels though lmao.

Aside from Ito, another one of my favourites is Kago Shintarou. His works is a little more explicit and humorous, purely "wtf" type of manga~ Yeah I heard bad things about the anime, thankfully i'm more into reading manga than watching anime~
Sep 5, 2015 5:58 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:
Corwen said:

You're right. I actually planned on reading some of Kazuo Umezu's manga since I wanted more creepy stuff but the art was just too old for me &gt;_&lt; Haven't read much horror manga after I finished most of Junji Ito's works :c Too bad Gyo's anime adaptation failed on so many levels though lmao.

Aside from Ito, another one of my favourites is Kago Shintarou. His works is a little more explicit and humorous, purely "wtf" type of manga~ Yeah I heard bad things about the anime, thankfully i'm more into reading manga than watching anime~

Wow, he's got a helluva lot of published manga :O Will definitely check these out. Which of his manga would you recommend? XD Most fans of the manga Gyo had high expectations of the anime adaptation but as usual, being adapted by ufotable just made it horrible lol.
Sep 5, 2015 6:04 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

Aside from Ito, another one of my favourites is Kago Shintarou. His works is a little more explicit and humorous, purely &quot;wtf&quot; type of manga~ Yeah I heard bad things about the anime, thankfully i'm more into reading manga than watching anime~

Wow, he's got a helluva lot of published manga :O Will definitely check these out. Which of his manga would you recommend? XD Most fans of the manga Gyo had high expectations of the anime adaptation but as usual, being adapted by ufotable just made it horrible lol.

Hmmmm, the one I first read was Yume no Omocha Koujo, it's these one shots of different stories, unrelated. It's a little more explicit, so I gotta warn ya hahah. It's nothing like Ito~ or maybe you should try Ibitsu or Franken Fran~ When I first heard about it, I was wagging my tail too hahah, but then I realised there's no way it'll get better than GYO's manga, so all hype and hope died down. And for good reason too(Y)
Sep 5, 2015 6:19 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:

Hmmmm, the one I first read was Yume no Omocha Koujo, it's these one shots of different stories, unrelated. It's a little more explicit, so I gotta warn ya hahah. It's nothing like Ito~ or maybe you should try Ibitsu or Franken Fran~ When I first heard about it, I was wagging my tail too hahah, but then I realised there's no way it'll get better than GYO's manga, so all hype and hope died down. And for good reason too(Y)

I checked the one you mentioned and I was a bit surprised that it's tagged as hentai lol. One of the reviews also said that it's disgusting, haha XD I guess it's really different from Junji Ito's atmosphere. I have read Ibitsu a long time ago so I can't remember much about it (except that there's a creepy stalker or something). Is Franken Fran really scary? I should've known better that Junji Ito's art is one of the things that contribute to the eerie atmosphere of his manga so the crappy anime adaptation was bound to fail. I just got too hyped >_<
Sep 5, 2015 6:27 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

I checked the one you mentioned and I was a bit surprised that it's tagged as hentai lol. One of the reviews also said that it's disgusting, haha XD I guess it's really different from Junji Ito's atmosphere. I have read Ibitsu a long time ago so I can't remember much about it (except that there's a creepy stalker or something). Is Franken Fran really scary? I should've known better that Junji Ito's art is one of the things that contribute to the eerie atmosphere of his manga so the crappy anime adaptation was bound to fail. I just got too hyped &gt;_&lt;

Hahah Yeaaah, guess it's sort of hentai? I'm not too sure. I'd say it's borderline, mixed with some guro gore. Still, Kago Shintarou has some creepy stuff worth reading. Franken Fran is more humorous, it's got weird experiments and screwy situations but the atmosphere is almost friendly~ again, nothing can compare to Ito :c It was too late huh? :s well, I try not to give in to the hype, but it's just so tempting... sigh,i hope they don't screw up the Attack on Titan movie~
Sep 5, 2015 6:38 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:

Hahah Yeaaah, guess it's sort of hentai? I'm not too sure. I'd say it's borderline, mixed with some guro gore. Still, Kago Shintarou has some creepy stuff worth reading. Franken Fran is more humorous, it's got weird experiments and screwy situations but the atmosphere is almost friendly~ again, nothing can compare to Ito :c It was too late huh? :s well, I try not to give in to the hype, but it's just so tempting... sigh,i hope they don't screw up the Attack on Titan movie~

I don't think those two are my cup of tea >_< I prefer a more serious note and atmosphere like in Uzumaki. Haha, you're right. Sometimes you just can't help but give in to the hype XD AoT movie? You mean the live-action one? I heard it was garbage tho XD
Sep 5, 2015 6:45 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

I don't think those two are my cup of tea &gt;_&lt; I prefer a more serious note and atmosphere like in Uzumaki. Haha, you're right. Sometimes you just can't help but give in to the hype XD AoT movie? You mean the live-action one? I heard it was garbage tho XD

I understand, they can't hold a candle to Ito's work. But then again, it's almost as if I can't find any other manga that could come close :s Garbage? Before I could even get hyped, it's already been trashed~ which is why, nothin' but manga for me c:
Sep 5, 2015 7:05 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:
Corwen said:

I don't think those two are my cup of tea &gt;_&lt; I prefer a more serious note and atmosphere like in Uzumaki. Haha, you're right. Sometimes you just can't help but give in to the hype XD AoT movie? You mean the live-action one? I heard it was garbage tho XD

I understand, they can't hold a candle to Ito's work. But then again, it's almost as if I can't find any other manga that could come close :s Garbage? Before I could even get hyped, it's already been trashed~ which is why, nothin' but manga for me c:

That's the actual truth, sadly :c Yep, the characters and the plot of the movie was way different than the one in the manga. I even heard there was even a bit of unnecessary romance. It's really better to read the source material rather than watch the movie XD
Sep 5, 2015 7:13 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

That's the actual truth, sadly :c Yep, the characters and the plot of the movie was way different than the one in the manga. I even heard there was even a bit of unnecessary romance. It's really better to read the source material rather than watch the movie XD

Out of curiosity, I think I'd still check out the movie. I'd like to judge for myself, as for GYO they kinda had it coming to them, anime adaption of such a manga would be super outta place ~ Yes, I'm strictly sticking to manga as we speak, infact If you do come across any Ito-like manga, do let me know c:
Sep 5, 2015 7:27 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:

Out of curiosity, I think I'd still check out the movie. I'd like to judge for myself, as for GYO they kinda had it coming to them, anime adaption of such a manga would be super outta place ~ Yes, I'm strictly sticking to manga as we speak, infact If you do come across any Ito-like manga, do let me know c:

Yeah, nothing wrong with checking it out yourself too ^^ Gyo really is an example why Junji Ito's works shouldn't really be adapted into an anime XD Will surely let you know if I come across a manga as awesome as Uzumaki ^^ It's funny how we made your thread a chat/comment box between the two of us though XD I'll also keep an eye on this thread to see if there are others who'd recommend a good manga.
Sep 5, 2015 7:39 AM

May 2015
Corwen said:
Shaun-san said:

Yeah, nothing wrong with checking it out yourself too ^^ Gyo really is an example why Junji Ito's works shouldn't really be adapted into an anime XD Will surely let you know if I come across a manga as awesome as Uzumaki ^^ It's funny how we made your thread a chat/comment box between the two of us though XD I'll also keep an eye on this thread to see if there are others who'd recommend a good manga.

Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. But no denying, his story line and the way he sets an atmosphere is really outta this world. Hahah I've got doubts that i'd come across a manga like Uzumaki, but it'll be nice if I were wrong. I do hope people gimme more titles *insert selfish face*, But this two person convo might've scared them away~ oh well, self research helps too. Plus we can take this elsewhere, anyways thanks a bundle, Corwen c;
Sep 5, 2015 7:58 AM

May 2015
listbot said:
Some stories from Mail are creepy but not too long. Similar, Fuan no Tane has short moments that generate fear. Can't remember more that's creepy enough in manga. May try Dragon Head. It's not that kind of horror. Happy People made me want to vomit but that's not fear. Blue Heaven is about a dangerous criminal on board. Higurashi series and the Umineko series - both manga are good in fans review. Coup d'&Eacute;tat Club and Higanjima are two survivor-like series, the latter with actions I guess and was made into game.

In other media, there may be more, Ring the movie and Juon the movie, Blair Witch Project, Slender Man game, Ao Oni (The Blue Ghost/Monster) free game

I'll check those titles out, thanks mate. But what i'm looking for specifically is horror manga that are just down right weird. It's hard to explain, but if you've read Uzumaki or GYO, you'd understand what I'm talking about~
Sep 5, 2015 8:13 AM

Dec 2010
Shaun-san said:
Corwen said:

Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. But no denying, his story line and the way he sets an atmosphere is really outta this world. Hahah I've got doubts that i'd come across a manga like Uzumaki, but it'll be nice if I were wrong. I do hope people gimme more titles *insert selfish face*, But this two person convo might've scared them away~ oh well, self research helps too. Plus we can take this elsewhere, anyways thanks a bundle, Corwen c;

You're right, which makes it harder for us to look for similar manga >_< Haha. Hopefully they won't be intimated with the long conversation. I'll try to bump this thread too when it gets buried among the newly-made ones. Hehe! You're welcome ^^
Sep 5, 2015 11:58 AM
Sep 6, 2015 12:47 AM

May 2015

I've heard of his manga before, i've been meaning to look into it. Mucho thanks~
Sep 6, 2015 7:53 AM

May 2015
galimx said:
Freesia
Homunculus
Variante

Ive yet to read Freesia, but I did just get Homonculus and Variante c: also reading Mail, Fetish, Domu, Mimi no Kaidan, Portus and Koiushou Radio (Y)
Feb 14, 2016 5:08 PM
Dec 2015
No longer human is pretty weird
Jun 19, 2016 12:55 AM
Jun 2016
Look up Edogawa Rampo and follow the artists that take inspiration from him. Or just read his books, if you can find translations... Ito was very inspired by Rampo and even did a manga adaption of one his short stories called "the Human Chair".
I just started looking into Suehiro Maruo, he seems promising. He did a manga adaption of Rampo's work as well.

Good luck following the bread crumbs. I would suggest, if you're into foreign movies, checking out Japanese movies based on Rampo's short stories.

You'll find a lot of these themes to be very familiar if you're a Junji Ito fan.

More topics from this board

» Pure comedy anime with no drama, suggestions?

JustSomeone15 - May 11

8 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
1 hour ago

» Tense, exciting Anime with big mysteries?

Fckthwrld - 11 hours ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago

» Just Really Great Anime Suggestions

Benassiesto - 9 hours ago

4 by Lucifrost »»
7 hours ago

» Real Robot Anime

PlasticRobot - 11 hours ago

4 by Dizzy-san »»
10 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

11 by rejote »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.