Forum Settings
Forums

How do you talk to someone you never talked to before?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 28, 2015 6:31 PM

Apr 2011
palladia said:
It's all superficial stuff that seems pointless, but at least it gets the conversation going.

Superficial like reading off a script feels kind of more awkward for me. It works but makes me cringe a bit inside, both when I'm the greeter or when I'm the greeted one. When I'm greeted that way, I tend to trail off to being more defensive than open or I just pass back the same question asked. x_x

How I start off a conversation with a person would be the obvious: the reason why they attracted my attention.

Example on a foreigner: "Hey! Where are you from? Oh, Japan, I like that place. I wanted to go there since I was a child. What is Tokyo like? Is it really busy? Where I'm from, it's really peaceful. Have you been in Akihabara?" and so on.

A cute girl or handsome schoolmate: "Hey, I just noticed you're really cute. Really I'm serious, I think you're pretty. What classes are you taking? Are you taking any clubs or electives? Oh, I want to join the choir club too!" (Since you're interested in them, your intent is to find ways to always be with them by asking those kinds of questions)

Some otaku: "Hey, is that School Days you're watching? What episode are you up to now? That anime's really sick. Do you watch a lot of anime? etc."

So I basically just let the conversation flow naturally by building up from what attracted my attention in the first place. (But of course, I don't do that to a person in a wheelchair. Only build up from the person's good qualities.)
Jun 28, 2015 6:33 PM

Sep 2014
By doing it
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Jun 28, 2015 6:37 PM

Apr 2015
Keep calm and make a joke
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jun 28, 2015 6:45 PM

Mar 2014
if you can muster up a smile it can do wonders :D The biggest problem about being quiet is you get judged as hostile and smile can be quite disarming in those situations.
Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

Pick a number between 1-4 and hope to get lucky.
1 2 3 4
Jun 28, 2015 6:53 PM

Jun 2011
Introduce yourself and present yourself as pleasant. Start a conversation by choosing an interesting topic. While I'm an introvert by nature, I have no problems talking to people though I can get awkward at times.

Jun 28, 2015 6:53 PM

Apr 2011
Shiny_Goomy said:
if you can muster up a smile it can do wonders :D The biggest problem about being quiet is you get judged as hostile and smile can be quite disarming in those situations.
If a normally quiet person builds up a reputation for always being quiet, they become suspicious when smiling and people will put up their guard.
Jun 28, 2015 6:58 PM
Sep 2014
Step 1: Break the ice.

Step 2: Hello
Jul 24, 2015 7:30 PM
Jun 2015
Being yourself and letting them know you're going to be kind and modest.
Jul 24, 2015 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Hey do...do... you like anime?
Jul 24, 2015 7:32 PM

Jul 2015
sometimes ill whisper you smell nice into their ear, but that
has gotten me more restraining orders then friends... so i guess im saying to learn from my mistakes
i make terrible youtube videos, dont click the link unless you have literally seen everything else in existence
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8qW8C2w0PNpTGlA-0r_HA
Jul 24, 2015 7:37 PM

Jun 2015
I do this:
Jul 24, 2015 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
There's nothing we need to talk about.
Jul 24, 2015 7:54 PM

Oct 2013
I don't.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 24, 2015 7:55 PM

Jun 2015
be a fgt to him/her
Jul 24, 2015 8:05 PM

Jul 2015
ok shit i mean i'm hilariously drunk right now but usually i only approach people if im drunk

when i'm not i'm literally too scared and shy to utter a word but **sometimes** i'll try initiating conversation

i back off easily though i should try being more social but like w/e
Jul 24, 2015 8:37 PM

Dec 2014
First, I think of words. Then, I say them in the order that I thought them in.
Jul 24, 2015 10:41 PM

Aug 2013
It's honestly really simple, just talk about stuff. Conversation turns awkward? Think what you said or did to cause that, or was it the other person? Think critically and after a few conversations you'll be fairly comfortable doing it. The things said in this thread already help you out a lot.

If instead you go in scared and afraid of something awkward happening, shutting your brain when it does and running away, you'll be forever uncomfortable with talking to people you don't know, because you never learn. If making the initiative and not running away is the problem, then youre asking the wrong question. No conversation with a stranger will (most likely) ever be perfectly pleasant with no awkward moments when youre just starting out with it.
Jul 24, 2015 11:07 PM

Mar 2011
I get myself in the mindset to talk, then I think of what to say followed by what they might say so I have a comeback.

Think of it like chess
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hottest non Hollywood actor on YouTube?

scarydragon - 3 hours ago

3 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

50 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

28 by elgatosaika »»
1 hour ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 26

10 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - 2 hours ago

6 by elgatosaika »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.