Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2009 6:59 AM

Sep 2009
Can there be a Joke section/haven in this forum?
I found that people here are generally too serious, even the moderators.
How bout a section to chill and for people with more sense of humor.

Not everyone likes wordy 'General Discussion' and every single small humor remark will be deleted or send to spam. And not many people like spam section or pointless spam.

Taking a famous forum from my country as example. They had pinned
-funny pictures thread
-funny videos thread
-funny email thread

My suggestion seem casual but I hope you can consider this with attention as I believe this can make the forum more lively and fun.

Thank you
Nov 16, 2009 9:04 AM

Apr 2008
sounds like you're describing the spam section. only the spam section really isn't that funny.

Nov 16, 2009 4:22 PM

Sep 2009
I'll just make this quick and simple
spam is junk while proper joke section isnt
Nov 16, 2009 4:35 PM

Nov 2007
It'll become a second spam board unless you want it to have more restrictive moderation. Which will defeat its original purpose and render the entire idea useless.
Nov 16, 2009 4:42 PM

Sep 2009
Base on what i see, it wont be a 2nd spam section. This is because spam will usually be ignored compared to the interesting post.
In other words, spam in the jokes section will slowly be replaced with the newer and interesting post.
Nov 16, 2009 5:10 PM

Oct 2007
Sure is idealism in here.
Nov 16, 2009 5:15 PM

Sep 2009
dirtbag8 said:
Base on what i see, it wont be a 2nd spam section.

when i say "based on what i see", its not what i think, its what i see happening from the other forums
Nov 16, 2009 9:53 PM

May 2007
I don't think it's a good idea.
Nov 16, 2009 10:09 PM

Sep 2009
ScrumYummy said:
I don't think it's a good idea.

ok but can i at least have a little more constructive reason
Nov 17, 2009 11:20 PM

Jun 2008
dirtbag8 said:
I'll just make this quick and simple
spam is junk while proper joke section isnt
I wouldn't mind a joke section but there are real people with real humor in the Spam Section. Spam is on MAL considered as "not serious answers/subjects" ~ joke - not actual junk mail, so I don't see why the Spam Section doesn't fill out your needs. Is it about posts there doesn't add to your official "posts written" count?
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Nov 18, 2009 1:18 AM

Sep 2009
CaMaVan said:
I wouldn't mind a joke section but there are real people with real humor in the Spam Section.

Everywhere, there will be some people with humor. In GD, there arent any humor except a small remark in its wordy reply.
Any humor attempt without wordy reply will be deleted. You can see how boring it goes there except for people who likes intelligent/wordy replies.

In spam, everything is there so its logical to have some random people coming up with joke, usually pointless joke which ignored pretty often.
But how often would you see people going to spam section for a joke. People arent going to search for jokes title and most seemingly joke topic just end up as pointless spam.

CaMaVan said:
Spam is on MAL considered as "not serious answers/subjects" ~ joke - not actual junk mail, so I don't see why the Spam Section doesn't fill out your needs.

Spam should work as spam and not as a place where everything else that cant be found on another section to be there.
Because everything was dumped here plus reason every other section is boring, even spam section seem to be a put off for spammers.

CaMaVan said:
[Is it about posts there doesn't add to your official "posts written" count?

I dont even get why is this up when this forums doesnt reward anything for post counts. Ie. Why would i even bother about post counts.

Lastly, a joke found is meant to be shared at a proper corner, not to be in spam just to be treated as spam.
Nov 18, 2009 5:33 AM

Jun 2008
Could be solved with a club, and I'm quite sure there already are some of that type. Either Spam Section or a Club. I doubt they'll implement any new feature since it's very off-topic.
Was just asking about the post count since some people really do care about it and take it as a challenge/competition. And for the very same reason they dislike the Spam Section since it is considered "wasted posts".
It's lame I know.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Nov 18, 2009 8:25 AM

Sep 2009
CaMaVan said:
Could be solved with a club, and I'm quite sure there already are some of that type. Either Spam Section or a Club.

At first i was like wtf? but seriously how many people would join clubs, visit clubs, let alone participating in clubs.
Making a club for this is so stupid that i dont know how to comment. It should rightfully have a place in the forums.
And one of my main point was that the forums is too dull except for people enjoying wordy GD and spam being spam (or so called spam section).

CaMaVan said:
I doubt they'll implement any new feature since it's very off-topic.

I kinda agree with the off-topic issue till i see this,
"Games Discussion"
"Asian Drama Discussion"
They too are off-topic so why are them there?!
Dont give me reasons like its because some games or asian drama are related to anime because its the same with jokes.

CaMaVan said:
Was just asking about the post count since some people really do care about it and take it as a challenge/competition. And for the very same reason they dislike the Spam Section since it is considered "wasted posts".
It's lame I know.

What you say is true, some people do care so its not lame.
Nov 18, 2009 10:23 AM

Feb 2008
An entire board of its own? So someone creates a thread for a joke they came up with. What would the replies to the thread be? "lol" "haha" "that's not funny" ?

Basically what I'm trying to get at is that there isn't really any discussion here. Games Discussion and Asian Drama Discussion may be off topic, but within a thread for a certain game or drama, there's potential for discussion (hence the 'discussion' in the board name). How would you discuss a joke?

IMO you should just stick to clubs or make a single thread for jokes.
Shana is love.

Nov 18, 2009 11:12 PM

Sep 2009
Shini-tan said:
So someone creates a thread for a joke they came up with. What would the replies to the thread be? "lol" "haha" "that's not funny" ?

Thats the problem with this forums. This forum virtually just invite people who 'discuss' a topic and kicking off all other forumers (such as casual forumers) except those who are willing to stay at the spam section.
Nothing wrong with a topic to get replies like "lol" "haha" "that's not funny" for a joke section because as i mention before, it is a place for people to chill, share, and have fun.

Shini-tan said:

Basically what I'm trying to get at is that there isn't really any discussion here. Games Discussion and Asian Drama Discussion may be off topic, but within a thread for a certain game or drama, there's potential for discussion (hence the 'discussion' in the board name). How would you discuss a joke?

So you are saying that despite off-topic, just because they had the potential to be discussed, then they should had an entire board?
Remember there are also some topics in the Spam section which have similarity to this off-topic areas. but sadly regarded as spam because they arent a section for it.
Again, spam should be a place for spam. Not as a place to dump all topics which doesnt have a proper section.

Back to "How to discuss a joke?"
I will just have to repeat, it is a place for people to chill, share, and have fun.

Shini-tan said:
IMO you should just stick to clubs or make a single thread for jokes.

My main point is about this forums with reasons stated before or above. Please try to stop mentioning about clubs since it do not coincide with the forums.
For the single thread for jokes, i may not be happy with it but satisfactory if it would be pinned for spam or relevent section. But like i said earlier, jokes arent spam.
Nov 18, 2009 11:53 PM

Nov 2007
dirtbag8 said:
I kinda agree with the off-topic issue till i see this,
"Games Discussion"
"Asian Drama Discussion"
They too are off-topic so why are them there?!
Dont give me reasons like its because some games or asian drama are related to anime because its the same with jokes.
High demand for a board will help in its implementation. Anime fans are often also gamers and there are quite a few people on this site who are into dramas. But in case you didn't notice, everyone else in this thread has been arguing against your idea or expressing skepticism. Spam currently exists to cover all topics that don't belong on other boards. Whether you use it for that purpose or not is up to you.

dirtbag8 said:
Thats the problem with this forums. This forum virtually just invite people who 'discuss' a topic and kicking off all other forumers (such as casual forumers) except those who are willing to stay at the spam section.
Nothing wrong with a topic to get replies like "lol" "haha" "that's not funny" for a joke section because as i mention before, it is a place for people to chill, share, and have fun.
Honestly, it's not a "problem" with forums, it's a problem with your inability to adapt to them. Basically what I'm seeing here is you're requesting an entire new board because you're unable to fit in anywhere else.

I suggest you just listen to what others have already said and make a club. They exist for this purpose. Not only will you have an entire forum area to yourself, you'll also be able to moderate it at your discretion. Invite people who you think would share an interest in discussing random, fun things with you. If you're active enough, people will probably stumble across it while browsing and join in. The fact that clubs have their own subforums is quite a significant feature on the site. You should take advantage of it.
Nov 19, 2009 2:47 AM

May 2007
I think you are mistaking forums for an image board.

Also any of the example threads you mentioned would be classified as spam here. Whether people post in there or not to make it lively is completely up to the user. As long as you follow the guidelines for posting in General Discussion, it won't be send to spam or deleted.

On an slightly unrelated note to the topic, I doubt another section would ever be added to the forums. As previously mentioned, there are clubs on MAL to replace those. If people are interested, they will join. A music board has been in high demand, but has never been added because there is a fairly large music club on MAL. People who are interested join the club.

Regarding the other sections of the forum, as previously mentioned, they were added due high demand in the past. Jokes related to those sections would go to that section. Jokes that have nothing to be discussed on go to spam. Also to change your point of view about games/Asian dramas being off-topic: There are sometimes anime/manga adaptions from games or Asian dramas - which make them more related than jokes ever will be.

Also, I am not sure if you can read sarcasm, but from what I see, MAL has an issue of not being able to be serious - to an extend that every single small humor remark will be deleted or send to spam.

Not to be racist, but these guys who can't read sarcasm tend to be from Singapore and Malaysia. I see you are from Malaysia, which seems to make sense, then.

Note: This is a serious post. You don't see those often from me.
Nov 19, 2009 7:35 PM

Sep 2009
Xjellocross said:

Its common for ideas to face skepticism. But I do get a bit surprised on the approach you guys made as to be totally against it instead of seeing the point, specifically or generally.

How am I not able to adapt to them? If its there its there, if its not there then its not there. What I am doing is giving suggestion how to improve the forums but specifically asking for jokes section.

About clubs, repeating but still thank you.

ZoiQ said:

For a person who ask for jokes section cant read sarcasm? You seem to have some common sense there.

I appreciate your rare and serious post but this make even more of a reason I cant simply ignore when u specifically mention my country and generalizing us. I am not only more open-minded person and in a country of few races, small racism remark doesn’t usually affect us as we are used to it. But just a note of advise (free thinker), try not to insult religion. It’s a really sensitive subject and we have seen what it can do to the world.

Note: If you see a lot of missing info, its because I deleted it last minute, believing it can easily offend anyone.

Anyway, I'm out. Feel free to do what you want with this thread.
Nov 19, 2009 9:03 PM

Mar 2009
Pointless. Plus, there will be some really unfunny jokes which will do nothing but piss people off.
Nov 21, 2009 6:35 AM

May 2007
You fail to see that here on MAL, spam and jokes belong to the same area/section, although generalised, it still functions with the same goal in mind.

dirtbag8 said:
And not many people like spam section or pointless spam.
I think you are missing the point that people don't like spam section, because exactly these general unfunny jokes are being sent here and nobody is interested in those.

I have not mentioned anything about religion. Aren't you just glorifying yourself (as considering yourself a free thinker) now and being off-topic giving unnecessary 'advise' or actually just spouting common sense?

You are trying to prove your point without actually supporting it with arguments beside 'trying to improve the forum community', which isn't even much of an argument at all. Your problem is automatically solved by having a spam section, but you don't want to accept it. See where this is going to?

It's been stated before, but:

Xjellocross said:
Honestly, it's not a "problem" with forums, it's a problem with your inability to adapt to them. Basically what I'm seeing here is you're requesting an entire new board because you're unable to fit in anywhere else.

Adapting would be you get used to the forums and how it works here, not the forums getting used to you.

Although you probably noticed it by now, but everyone else who has replied to this thread thinks it's pointless to have such board.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.