Forum Settings
Forums

Has a book ever changed your life for the worse?

New
Has a book ever changed your life for the worse?
Sep 16, 2014 1:22 PM

Oct 2008
I read this question in a diary and I thought it was worth thinking about it.

In my case, the book that has affected me the most was The Stranger by Albert Camus, it made my life go so much worse but then it gave me a new meaning (or lack thereof ) for living.
If it has solution, don't bother; and if it hasn't, why bothering?

Do you like manga? http://gunjoteam.com
Sep 16, 2014 10:26 PM

May 2013
I haven't posted on these forums for a long time, but coming back here I was surprised and happy to see a post like this.

I had a similar reaction when I first read The Stranger, however I think The Plague hit me a lot harder. At the time in my life when I was first discovering authors like Camus, Sartre, etc., I was already going through a major shift in my life. I went through a very pessimistic phase after reading Sartre's "Nausea" for the first time, and I thought of little else than how arbitrary and pointless everything was. Camus' Absurdism by comparison was much more optimistic than Sartre's Existentialism, so I found myself leaning further and further towards Camus. Now I own almost all of his works and have read and loved many of his books and plays. I don't think a book has ever changed my life for the worse though... I think I am happier with life after discovering Camus, and I never would have reached this point if I didn't discover Sartre first. (I still love Sartre though - as absurdism and existentialism have a considerable overlap, I find his ideas captivating despite having a preference for Camus' philosophy.)

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7622 by BookBirdie »»
2 hours ago

» Post your current main audio set up

tsukareru - Dec 20, 2023

6 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

33 by Cammell »»
3 hours ago

» Best Disney dad?

literally_boba - Apr 1, 2022

12 by Spunkert »»
4 hours ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

16 by Eleben »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.