Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 17, 2014 6:45 AM

Apr 2013
Hi, We are glad to announce that we have reached the 0.9 release of Atarashii MAL API!
The developers: ratan12 & motokochan.
API is licensed under Apache Public License 2.0.

What is an API?
Click here for info

Will the API make MAL slower?
Nope, we are caching almost all the request.
It makes the API a lot faster for users!.
Except personal details.

Where can I find the documentation?
The documentation is only visible after you set it up at a server.
It is located at the root.

Is the API stable and usable?
Yes, the API is stable.
There are a few apps/plugins using our API.

5+ applications/plugins are running the API currently.

Why is this API named Atarashii MAL API?
This API is made by 2 developers.
- Motokochan is the developer of Atarashii (android app).
- Ratan12 is an contributer of Atarashii (android app).

This API was originally written for Atarashii but we saw it as an independent project and decided to make it open source.

Why should I use this API instead of the official one?
The official API only supports a few methods.
Our api supports methods like: friendlist, anime/manga lists (top/most popular/upcoming/just added).

More features will be included in the next version.
Like this topic, I didn't used the browser but the API to create it ^^

Is this topic against the rules?
Nope, the links used in this topic are for information purpose and not advertising.
This topic is made for developers, some of them would possibly want add new features into their application/plugin but they can't because the MAL api is not offering enough info.
Why is there a whitelist? ;)
Ratan12Dec 29, 2014 2:10 PM
[center]
May 18, 2014 5:04 AM
Feb 2010
Why the spoilers...

Is it possible to query recommendations data (what entries are recommended as similar to each other, etc.) or are you planning to implement similar feature in near future?

Also, are you planning to make more "accessible" documentation or feature descriptions? I personally would like to know will your API offer features I need before I start downloading anything.
May 18, 2014 5:50 AM

Apr 2013
flagu said:
Why the spoilers...

I will remove them.

flagu said:

Is it possible to query recommendations data (what entries are recommended as similar to each other, etc.) or are you planning to implement similar feature in near future?

Also, are you planning to make more "accessible" documentation or feature descriptions? I personally would like to know will your API offer features I need before I start downloading anything.

Features that we planned to add:
- MAL PM (done)
- Forum access (done)
- rewatch count (get/write: planned)
- friendlist (done)
- history (done)
- recommendations (planned)
- reviews (planned)

In short we are planning to make all the mal features available for the API.
Ratan12May 18, 2014 7:55 AM
[center]
May 19, 2014 2:56 PM

Mar 2012
flagu said:
Why the spoilers...

I think he was testing the spoiler posting and viewing in the API code.

flagu said:

It should be possible. It's just another HTML parsing job to do. Right now, it's low on my priority list. The highest item for me is getting more personal information (start/end date, rewatching status, personal tags) so that clients like Atarashii! can manipulate that information.

Ideally, all the major portions of the site would be included, but it's a matter of manpower. Right now, it's just Ratan and I working as we get a chance. We both have full-time primary commitments, so it's a free-time project. Luckily, all the foundation is in place, so that makes feature development easier.

flagu said:

The current release is compatible with the "MyAnimeList Unofficial API" by Chu Yeow. It's the one that used to be at mal-api.com. The only limitation is that it supports JSON only at this time.

Go look over our live site at https://api.atarashiiapp.com/. You can even play with the calls in your browser. If you want to use that site for your application, please contact me first. It's on my personal server and I pay out of pocket for it, so I want to know who is generating traffic.

Alternatively, go download the software and run it locally. If you have PHP set up on your computer, it's an easy "php app/console server:run" to have a local copy running. Instructions are in the readme file.
motokoNov 16, 2015 10:48 AM
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
Sep 19, 2014 6:02 PM

Jun 2011
How do I do authenticated requests? It looks like they work (with Basic Auth) when verifying credentials but not when doing actual requests...

To be more specific, I'm using the anime endpoint to get a series' details and whether the user has that series in their list.

EDIT: I will just give my Swift function here:

http://pastebin.com/RQsSQKnR

I tested other endpoints that require authentication and they seem to be working fine, so I have gone ahead and opened a Bug in the BitBucket page. https://bitbucket.org/ratan12/atarashii-api/issue/39/anime-id-does-not-work-as-expected-with

(Apologies for the lack of syntax highlighting - Pastebin doesn't have a Swift highlighter yet).
LeonneSep 19, 2014 7:53 PM
Sep 20, 2014 4:27 AM

Apr 2013
Hi Leonne,

As you can see I added a reply on BitBucket.

Leonne said:
(Apologies for the lack of syntax highlighting - Pastebin doesn't have a Swift highlighter yet).

No problem the screenshot gave me enough info to know what you did wrong :)

Anyway thanks for informing us!
[center]
Feb 13, 2017 1:21 PM
Sep 2014
What's the current status of the API?

I'd rather not crawl the recommenations myself if i can evade it. Partially because i have some doubt about actually getting through with it without getting banned for assumed DoS.
Feb 20, 2017 11:34 PM

Apr 2013
What do you mean the status? We are still developing it.
https://bitbucket.org/ratan12/atarashii-api/commits/all

We already added recommendations.
[center]
Feb 22, 2017 3:14 PM
Jul 2014
I have been debugging an old xbmc plugin lately, and traced it down to it using this api that no longer seems to work for it, or is no longer for public consumption?

Not really sure whats up with this api, because no one is saying anything about it.

example api usage:
https://api.atarashiiapp.com/1/anime/search?q=bleach
https://api.atarashiiapp.com/2/anime/search?q=bleach

Everything returns a 403 forbidden.

Any info on whats going on would be cool. Thanks.
Feb 28, 2017 11:50 AM

Apr 2013
Xabis said:
I have been debugging an old xbmc plugin lately, and traced it down to it using this api that no longer seems to work for it, or is no longer for public consumption?

Everything returns a 403 forbidden..

Some app developers were using without permission. We received multiple hits within one second and the server is being paid by the co-developer.

We decided to block unauthorized access without permission. In your case I assume you or the dev never asked if you may use the server. You can host the API by yourself or ask for permission by asking "motoko".
[center]
Feb 28, 2017 8:38 PM
Jul 2014
Fair enough.

This is a plugin, so hosting an api for it is not feasible, especially since it was something i stumbled on to and was just trying to fix.

That said, and for anyone else in the same situation, i be will be disconnecting it from any unofficial api and falling back to use https://myanimelist.net/malappinfo.php directly.
Mar 1, 2017 11:11 AM

Oct 2011
Can you access notifications with that API?
Mar 2, 2017 1:37 PM

Apr 2013
aedonis said:
Can you access notifications with that API?

It is planned. The unofficial API provides more details than the official one. We even tried to convince the MAL admins to host it or we could help to contribute but they denied.

Xinil said "The API is absolutely on our radar to upgrade and we're going to do our best to get out a complete rebuild this year. There were some features/changes in the pipes before it, and I'm sorry it seemed like we didn't care.".
That was taken from https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3gedyl/im_xinil_creator_and_lead_admin_of_myanimelist/ctxcqwh/ one year ago.
[center]

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
3 hours ago

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.