Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
How bad was second half in comparison to first?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 28, 2014 2:41 PM

Aug 2013
This thread is going to degenerate very fast into a haters thread when I made this so I could find if there some people who agree with me and also hear some positive opinions about SAO (for a change). If you don't agree with me then fine, but please provide a gentle, constructive argument that doesn't come off as obnoxious and disrespectful. Thank you.
Mar 28, 2014 2:47 PM

Aug 2013
Ubo said:
I very much enjoyed the first 15 episodes but I'm a sucker for romance animes. The last 10 were boring, creepy and had no where near the amount of tension we saw when they would die IRL if they died in SAO.

Thank you for your input. Yes the romance is main reason I loved it and fortunately the one-sided romance of Sugu to Kirito in 2nd half was enough to hold my interest.

Are you looking forward to season 2? Doesn't look like there will be much romance though cause apparently Asuna has only a minor role :/
Mar 30, 2014 6:42 PM

Mar 2014
It wasn't horrible, but the first half was better. I'm just not a fan of the whole of Suguha having a crush on her cousin. That throws me off a little.
Mar 30, 2014 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
It's not as bad, evident from its rank on MAL.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 31, 2014 6:24 PM
Mar 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:

Thank you for your input. Yes the romance is main reason I loved it and fortunately the one-sided romance of Sugu to Kirito in 2nd half was enough to hold my interest.

Are you looking forward to season 2? Doesn't look like there will be much romance though cause apparently Asuna has only a minor role :/

I'm interested in how Kirito will get sucked into Gun Gale Online. I'll definitely try it out once it's released. Curiosity more than anything will draw me into season 2 of SAO.
AccountKiller
Mar 31, 2014 11:33 PM
Feb 2014
You can't really compare the first to the second. I see what they attempted to do with the second half but they really butchered most of everything it.

I even just watched this entire series in one day and after the first half was over everything seemed to be "meh? so what?". Would of preferred they went into even more detail and instead of doing a time-lapse skip would of been able to fill in a bunch more story and characters within the game's two year period.

Who know's they might be able to do something brand new with Gun Gale Online since its a entirely different theme but if they stick with the current plot which happened in season 1... I know one of my friends just totally gave up this anime after hitting episode 11 and basically said summed it up by going "lemme guess he goes back to some other games and beats that one too?"
Apr 3, 2014 10:43 PM

Jan 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:
AnimeFanFTW25 said:
The second half wasn't bad!?!

I really hope you are joking.

I'm not joking.

In my opinion, I thought the second half completely ruined SAO. Because of the second half, SAO was probably the most disappointing anime I have ever seen.
However, I did like how the animation in the second half was still amazing.

That being said, I can't wait to watch Gun Gale Online. I'm crossing my fingers that they SAO will be great again with Gun Gale Online.
Apr 5, 2014 1:53 AM
Jan 2014
AnimeFanFTW25 said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
AnimeFanFTW25 said:
The second half wasn't bad!?!

I really hope you are joking.

I'm not joking.

In my opinion, I thought the second half completely ruined SAO. Because of the second half, SAO was probably the most disappointing anime I have ever seen.
However, I did like how the animation in the second half was still amazing.

That being said, I can't wait to watch Gun Gale Online. I'm crossing my fingers that they SAO will be great again with Gun Gale Online.

Yeah, if you are not being to picky about your taste, you wouldn't hate about the shows. But in my opinion, the storyline is lock on which mean the shows doesn't have many potential to write on but I think Gun Gale Online might overcome that :)
Apr 5, 2014 3:30 AM

Apr 2009
HAHAHA! I laughed when I read the title. The first half is way better and it should ended on episode 14. I would give it at least a 7/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2014 3:03 PM
Mar 2014
The second half was shit because they threw in everything that could have possibly made it horrible and it did. Especially the fucking incest: first of all the only reason that bitch likes him is... oh wait there is no reason she just randomly decides she loves him after figuring out they aren't brother/sister and are instead cousins (which is still incest. Second of all Kiroto's sister is one of those all boobs no anything else characters.
Apr 28, 2014 6:53 AM

Apr 2013
First 6 episodes, each new episode brings a new member into the harem of whiners.
Apr 28, 2014 12:28 PM

Feb 2014
Ckan said:
Protoz said:
i still don't understand why sugou went such length to antagonize kirito despite the fact he would've marry asuna anyway
A villain's gotta evil it up. There's no glory in a victory where you don't mock the enemy.

a villain's mind.. i'll never be able to comprehend, i guess. i mean, it's very cliche. the main antagonist celebrate his victory in front of main protagonist, then somehow the protagonist break free.. reminds me of classic emperor palpatine - darth vader - luke struggle
Apr 29, 2014 11:37 AM
Jun 2013
I just re-watched SAO thinking that the second half couldn't be as bad as I remembered it to be. Turns out it's even worse. I really like the first fourteen episodes, but it should have ended there.

Don't misunderstand me, I like the ALO game, which is, at least even as orginal as SAO. The thing is, we didn't actually saw it. No boss fight, barely any mob or player fight, just talking, talking and talking. The previous cast has been completely moved aside, replaced by some easily forgetable characters. We didn't see Klein and the others until the last episode, only Agil appears on the first one, just WHY ? And the bad guy, oh my god...

In the first half, we has Kayaba Akihiko. A dreamer, clever guy and mysterious. He did terrible things but not for the sake of hurting people. I don't know for you, but I can't completely hate this guy. And now, we have Sugou. Urgh. A psycho, a COMPLETE psycho who want to rape Asuna and implement fear in people brain for a living... yeah. Don't think I have anything to add...

Onto the sister/cousin/uncle or whatever she is thing, the incest romance wasn't fucking needed. Why couldn't she be just a normal sister wanted to play MMO in order to get closer to a family member she almost lost and haven't seen for two years ? However, I do like Lyfa. Actually, I wanted her not to be Kazuto's sister and just another girl met in the game. Think he could have got closer to her in while looking for Asuna and eventually developped feelings for her, showing some hesitation about his other feelings for a girl he haven't seen for a while... 'Cause, y'know, these things happen.

The ending, the ending... It's too cheesy for me. The last fight is ridiculous, what with Kayaba Akihiko living on the internet (don't delete this Kayaba, please) ? And I won't say anything about the scene on the parking because I really don't want to. I don't want the too much happy ending the show has, episode 14 was perfect and it should have ended there. Still, I will watch the second season, 'cause I'm curious and the LN seems to have a lot of fans, some of them even saying SAO isn't the best arc in the whole thing. So let's wait and see...
Apr 30, 2014 12:23 AM

Feb 2014
Ol-Hybrius said:
I just re-watched SAO thinking that the second half couldn't be as bad as I remembered it to be. Turns out it's even worse. I really like the first fourteen episodes, but it should have ended there.

Don't misunderstand me, I like the ALO game, which is, at least even as orginal as SAO. The thing is, we didn't actually saw it. No boss fight, barely any mob or player fight, just talking, talking and talking. The previous cast has been completely moved aside, replaced by some easily forgetable characters. We didn't see Klein and the others until the last episode, only Agil appears on the first one, just WHY ? And the bad guy, oh my god...

In the first half, we has Kayaba Akihiko. A dreamer, clever guy and mysterious. He did terrible things but not for the sake of hurting people. I don't know for you, but I can't completely hate this guy. And now, we have Sugou. Urgh. A psycho, a COMPLETE psycho who want to rape Asuna and implement fear in people brain for a living... yeah. Don't think I have anything to add...

Onto the sister/cousin/uncle or whatever she is thing, the incest romance wasn't fucking needed. Why couldn't she be just a normal sister wanted to play MMO in order to get closer to a family member she almost lost and haven't seen for two years ? However, I do like Lyfa. Actually, I wanted her not to be Kazuto's sister and just another girl met in the game. Think he could have got closer to her in while looking for Asuna and eventually developped feelings for her, showing some hesitation about his other feelings for a girl he haven't seen for a while... 'Cause, y'know, these things happen.

The ending, the ending... It's too cheesy for me. The last fight is ridiculous, what with Kayaba Akihiko living on the internet (don't delete this Kayaba, please) ? And I won't say anything about the scene on the parking because I really don't want to. I don't want the too much happy ending the show has, episode 14 was perfect and it should have ended there. Still, I will watch the second season, 'cause I'm curious and the LN seems to have a lot of fans, some of them even saying SAO isn't the best arc in the whole thing. So let's wait and see...

I just want to add the Sugou part. IDK why but I admit I'm obsessed with his character. I hate whoever creates this Sugou character more than Sugou himself. I mean, his totally evil character is sooo cliche. It's sounds like he's only there for us to cast stone on. He exists only because Kirito needs a villain to proclaim himself as a knight saving damsel in distress. I SO TOTALLY HATE THIS.. THIS CHARACTERIZATION.

OTOH, I loved "Megamind" so much (a Dreamworks animation) for a reason you would understand after watching it. Go. Go and watch it and compare it with SAO and tell me how did you feel.
May 1, 2014 3:36 AM
Aug 2013
Its terrible because of those tentacles... and the last episode,
May 5, 2014 11:57 PM
Jan 2008
I really ENJOYED the first fourteen episodes of SAO. They were terrific, if flawed, loopy and sometimes rushed. But I found everything about them to be fun, the action, the love story, the characters, the friendships, the idea of being trapped in a virtual reality world... all that was great.

Having said that I actually didn't find the second half, or at least what I've seen of it so far (I have only two episodes to go) to be as bad as others have declared. I've seen far, far worse; the island/Africa arc from "Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water" for instance. THAT was unforgivably, irredeemably terrible.

By contrast, the "Fairy Dance" arc isn't THAT bad. It DOES have its issues, yes, and it's certainly not as good as the first fourteen episodes, but I didn't think it was SOOO very terrible that it ruins the show. I still am enjoying SAO overall.

I actually enjoyed the idea of traveling back and forth between the real world and the virtual fantasy world, and I appreciate the arc in trying to make Kirito a hero to fight for his love. But I DID find it somewhat disheartening (at first) to see Asuna literally trapped in a birdcage by this lustfully disgusting evil elf king. Considering her spunky nature in the first half, it's unfortunate she's reduced to the "has to be rescued" cliche. Having said that though she doesn't lose her spunkiness altogether; in one episode she bravely attempts to escape and nearly succeeds. Unfortunately this also leads to one of the moments in the show that feel borderline "hentai", where Asuna is trapped by two slugs who wrap their tentacles around her. This stuff feels more at home with the likes of Wicked City, not Sword Art Online. I gotta say I DID like how she bit them. THAT was gratifying.

Then there's the subplot in which Kirito's "sister" Suguha gets emotionally mixed up about her seemingly distant brother and his feelings for the now comatose Asuna. I actually like Suguha's personality, especially when she becomes the sprightly Leafa. (Mainly due to Cassandra Lee's TERRIFIC performance as the character; she makes her irresistably charming and enjoyable.) I liked having her as an emotional support crutch for the broken Kirito. But at times I felt that the writers were pushing her feelings for Kirito a little too close to the edge, particularly when she nearly falls in love with Kirito without realizing who he is. It's not a fatal misstep for the show by any means, it just felt very strange and bizarre.

That said, Fairy Dance does have its share of strong moments. The dub, as mentioned, continues to be very strong, with everyone involved from the first arc turning in performances just as worthy as before. Cassandra, as mentioned, plays Kirito's sister and her Alfheim counterpart excellently. And Todd Haberkorn turns in a TERRIFIC performance as this arc's badguy, a slimy, despicable, psychopathic pervert of a man who ogles Asuna and tries everything to discourage Kirito from getting close to her. Honestly, whenever he spoke I found myself wishing that Mark Hamill would voice this character because he resembles Muska from Castle in the Sky, but Haberkorn is lasciviously nasty and seems to really be having a ball with the part. Whenever there are scenes involving action, exploration, sword-fights, and even the occasional bit of humor, Fairy Dance entertains. The animation and music are top-notch, and the story still moves at a brisk pace and never feels boring. The scenes in the fairy forest are also hauntingly beautiful, and at times reminded me of Hiroo Isono's artwork from Secret of Mana.

The first fourteen episodes I would absolutely give ****1/2 out of ***** because of the roller-coaster sense of adventure, which is something that the second half doesn't always have. I consider the "Fairy Dance" arc to be a somewhat lesser but still competent and enjoyable ride that only suffers in trivial issues. It would probably be a ***1/2 out of *****, but honestly, I'm enjoying the show so much that I don't really care. It's up there with among my favorites.

The "Aincrad" arc is really really good IMO. The "Fairy Dance" arc is decent but not as good. Still entertaining overall though.
May 6, 2014 12:11 AM

Aug 2013
I didn't find it horrible. It just wasn't as good and Sword Art Online would have been leaving it at the first half. Though a game like Alfhiem is rumored for the Morpheus.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
May 6, 2014 4:57 PM

Mar 2013
The second half was probably the most unnecessary piece of anime I have ever seen. At least the first half I can see some things that people might see to give it a high score, but this completely just demolished my opinion on this show.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
May 6, 2014 8:42 PM
Jan 2008
The "Fairy Dance" arc is certainly not on the same level as the first one, but despite a few groanworthy moments in the final episode some discomforting bits scattered in places, I still enjoyed it. And I found the final episode to be very heartwarming and sweet. It was great to see everyone meet in the real world and for the resolution between Kirito and Asuna. I DO feel they were setting it up more like a prologue to SAOII than anything else though, hence the ending.

Still, faults and all, I enjoyed SWORD ART ONLINE. The first arc is 9/10, while the second is lesser but still entertaining 7/10. Four stars out of Five seems just about right to me.
May 6, 2014 8:53 PM

Apr 2013
Pretty much.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.