Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 22, 2014 8:16 PM
Jul 2013
Hopefully. They seem cool.

They'd be cooler if they can turn into transformers and we can ride them.
Feb 22, 2014 8:32 PM

Jun 2012
xshizuneix said:
I guess if it helps people with their daily activities sure, but then again, it could be used for bad intentions. Life gets scarier the more technology improves. Anything could happen once even more advanced technology is invented. I cant really say what may happen until a cyborg is created, but I hope it wont for a long time.

And what, exactly, do you fear? Technology can be used for bad, but for every one of those bad things, there's three other good things. I mean, I guess you should be cautious going forward with any form of technology, but personally the fear around cyborgs seems irrational to me. Also, the bad news for you is that it's already theoretically possible to make a cyborg with current technology (it just needs to be developed), and the day when the worlds first cyborg is made will come sooner than later. (Although technically that day has already arrived with the people who are testing these developing technologies.)

From what I see, it is very highly probable that the first people to become cyborgs will be disabled/injured patients who no longer have access to certain parts of their body (amputees, paraplegics, etc). Someone who lost their arm, for example, could have a new mechanical one attached to their body, and then that mechanical arm could be linked to neurons in their brain that would allow them to control it and feel it much like they would with a normal arm. It's also theoretically possible for someone who is paralyzed to regain control over their body by restoring neural links via cybernetic augmentation. It would also be possible to cure blindness, as mentioned in this video, and it would be naive to think those technologies won't continue to become more sophisticated. Colorblind? No problem. Deaf? No problem. It should even be possible to add new, previously nonexistent senses to the human body.

When that day finally comes, it will probably remain mostly exclusive to those people for quite a long time, as it would be very resource exhaustive and ridiculously expensive to transform society into a full-blown cyborg utopia.

_
LarasoFeb 22, 2014 8:51 PM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Feb 22, 2014 9:46 PM

Jul 2012
I think they will be possible but wont have any advantages to people born with limbs.

For a while anyway
Feb 22, 2014 10:38 PM

Jan 2014
Yes, they're gonna take over the world.
"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Feb 23, 2014 2:08 AM

Oct 2010
meh cyborgs allready exist

they got rats n bugs in shit turned into cyborgs that you can control
dont ask questions, just do answers
Feb 23, 2014 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Lord_Joshua said:

That's some Dr. Gero level stuff right there. Now all the bugs must die!

We will get cyborgs eventually, in my opinion. But like most of the advancements in science that I see, it probably won't be flashy like the movies make it out to be.
Feb 23, 2014 11:07 AM

Oct 2013
Aylaine said:
Lord_Joshua said:

That's some Dr. Gero level stuff right there. Now all the bugs must die!

We will get cyborgs eventually, in my opinion. But like most of the advancements in science that I see, it probably won't be flashy like the movies make it out to be.

Tell time to hurry up. I want to battle evil as a cyborg ninja like raiden. Wait. If I went full body, then I would have no d. Sorry that's not a worthy trade. I want to be able to still give girls the d.
Feb 23, 2014 11:08 AM

Feb 2014
Yes but we should be a sucide code in them just in case
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
Feb 23, 2014 11:11 AM

Oct 2013
Laraso said:
xshizuneix said:
I guess if it helps people with their daily activities sure, but then again, it could be used for bad intentions. Life gets scarier the more technology improves. Anything could happen once even more advanced technology is invented. I cant really say what may happen until a cyborg is created, but I hope it wont for a long time.

And what, exactly, do you fear? Technology can be used for bad, but for every one of those bad things, there's three other good things. I mean, I guess you should be cautious going forward with any form of technology, but personally the fear around cyborgs seems irrational to me. Also, the bad news for you is that it's already theoretically possible to make a cyborg with current technology (it just needs to be developed), and the day when the worlds first cyborg is made will come sooner than later. (Although technically that day has already arrived with the people who are testing these developing technologies.)

From what I see, it is very highly probable that the first people to become cyborgs will be disabled/injured patients who no longer have access to certain parts of their body (amputees, paraplegics, etc). Someone who lost their arm, for example, could have a new mechanical one attached to their body, and then that mechanical arm could be linked to neurons in their brain that would allow them to control it and feel it much like they would with a normal arm. It's also theoretically possible for someone who is paralyzed to regain control over their body by restoring neural links via cybernetic augmentation. It would also be possible to cure blindness, as mentioned in this video, and it would be naive to think those technologies won't continue to become more sophisticated. Colorblind? No problem. Deaf? No problem. It should even be possible to add new, previously nonexistent senses to the human body.

When that day finally comes, it will probably remain mostly exclusive to those people for quite a long time, as it would be very resource exhaustive and ridiculously expensive to transform society into a full-blown cyborg utopia.

_

Yea, everything has it's pros and cons like a knife. I knife can be used for many different things including the bad things like killing. You've got to think, do the pros out weight the cons.
Feb 23, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2012
AfroRocker said:
Yea, everything has it's pros and cons like a knife. I knife can be used for many different things including the bad things like killing. You've got to think, do the pros out weight the cons.

Exactly. When I think about the healthcare/misc. benefits that would come with cyborg/cybernetic technology, I quickly realize that the list is so big it dwarfs any conceivable downsides.

It's actually hard for me to think of any downsides for this. If people are worried about this because they think soldiers will start walking around with cannons in place of their arms, they're being paranoid. The only legitimate worry I can think of is the implications that come with implants affecting thoughts/actions, and the real possibility for actual mind-reading (or even worse, mind-controlling) technology to develop.

However, I believe the actual chances for that being abused are slim. When (if!) this technology becomes readily available, I highly doubt we'll be walking around in a world filled with people whose every thought and desire is controlled by the government. There might be a few instances of abuse here and there, but generally people are not going to let that happen. People will not just simply passively submit themselves to governmental thought control, and the world won't just simply sit there and watch a nation enslave the minds of its unwilling citizens and control their very thoughts, beliefs, and actions. It would be a human rights violation of extreme and never-before seen proportions, it would ruin the reputation of the offending country, and it would invoke international conflict, which is something very few people actually want. (not to mention how insanely expensive it would be in terms of time/resources/money to even attempt such a thing, let alone maintain it...)

You could argue that North Korea already comes frighteningly close to that, and I suppose that's true. They have a draconian iron-grip on their populace, however their control is superficial and they're controlling the population with the fear of disobedience. If they were to install implants into the brains of their citizens, as I talked about above, they would no longer have a superficial control gained through fear/oppression/brainwashing, but rather it would become an absolute and literal control.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it's foolish to worry about this leading to a dystopian future, as many people do when discussing these topics. It is possible that it could be abused, but don't count on the whole world losing its mind and sanity just because of that possibility of abuse. It's important to focus on the vast amount of beneficial applications this has and the great benefits it would provide rather than focusing on a few possible situations where it could be misused.
_
LarasoFeb 23, 2014 12:19 PM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Feb 23, 2014 3:55 PM

Jul 2013
The video you posted is an example of a cyborg, so you answered your own question mate.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Anyone ever commission anime art?

ACasualViewer - May 27

15 by ACasualViewer »»
7 minutes ago

» Plummeting Birthrates Is a Good Thing

vasipi4946 - May 28

15 by Meusnier »»
56 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

59 by ACasualViewer »»
1 hour ago

» do you still live with your parents?

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

24 by ACasualViewer »»
1 hour ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 27

87 by Amityblight »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.