Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 22, 4:57 PM

Dec 2019
Steins;Gate. Good second half but that first half buildup was tiring to sit through and it was half of the series so cant call it a masterpiece when I only cared for half of it, no matter the payoff. Even by the end, didn't enjoy the actual characters in this series besides Rintaro and Kurisu. Humor didnt click with me much during that first half too
Apr 22, 5:00 PM

Dec 2021
For me, definitely Gabriel DropOut. I wanted to think higher of it, but it was just so "kinda okay" that I just dropped it to make room for other anime. Also Inuyasha. It's just "kinda okay", even though it's from my fave mangaka of all time. I'll just finish that anime "whenever",

Daviljoe193Apr 22, 5:06 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Apr 22, 5:22 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to -Kugeki-
Frieren. I really like it though & It's been a breath of fresh air for the fantasy genre, but I can't say it deserves the top spot. It did have a very strong beginning & middle but I felt like the first class mage arc was a tad bit too long. I might change my mind if it does pick its self later.

A Silent Voice. I know many deem this the best anime film but I honestly couldn't see it. I really wanted to love this movie but I felt like it would've worked better as a 13 episode show. The pacing was a pretty fast for my liking & I couldn't get invested enough.

@-Kugeki- Frieren, I would disagree. Or more precisely, the first class mage arc may or may not have dragged on (I have no strong feelings on its pacing), but its production quality and consistency stood out more for me.

A Silent Voice, I really really hoped I was watching a masterpiece. It was not to be. Either I couldn't relate too much, or the story did not have a strong conclusion. A 13 episode show would have worked better, yes.
Apr 22, 5:49 PM
Mar 2017
None.

Ok jokes aside even though my taste is very 'ignore everything that's talked about to death' because I already know I won't like them it's not just because they are popular.

I have seen Death Note, SAO, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Tokyo Ghoul and a few others but others but I have gone my own path for a while now.

Many others I could say are more than cult classics (I haven't seen or maybe have). Or other particular series but to me I look so particular of anime fan surface level not mainstream surface level what do I know. I just pick what sounds interesting to me. Action, horror, adventure, fantasy, scifi usually not anymore but other genres yes. If it has partial action or supernatural sure.

Silent Voice is still good (DVD I maybe saw it digitally but still happy to have the DVD there when feel like it). I bought all the manga (didn't want to see the film again but didn't mind seeing what I missed of gaps or just experiencing it in a different form) when got started with it and Komi volumes at my local book store and started my manga physical again then just comic book Tokyo Ghoul purchases I dropped off of and the School Rumble from the local library and the library changed so..... Thanks.

I always enjoy a Lucky Star rewatch (I think the blu-ray re-release was fine sure it's in original quality but better than ruining it).

Haruhi I could rewatch at some point but just haven't. I still have memories of it. I did watch endless 8 years later and just let it play in the background.

Death Note yeah like anything the changes with the later episodes are what they are but still enjoyable.

I am indifferent on Tokyo Ghoul I didn't find the anime issues that bad. I have bought the manga I sort of gave up after a while and have I think probably 75% of both mainline and re manga but only read about 1/4 of mainline, part of the 1st volume of Re. I haven't sold them they are just sitting there. I did end up buying more even after I stopped reading to convince myself to keep starting where I last was, I still haven't and that's why I didn't buy the remaining ones I still have yet to buy and could to just complete the series.

I don't hate the series just haven't been in the mood to read it that's all. Just clarifying. I'll be in the mood eventually to.

I own the first 2 seasons on DVD and did rewatch them. I started Re just didn't care. I'll probably buy up the rest of the manga some day and just read it rather than watch Re and just get through the remaining main series chapters that Root A diverges from.

Other than that I just watch whatever slice of life/drama/romance/comedy I care about. It can be trash it can be good I don't care.
Apr 22, 6:14 PM

Dec 2011
Sword Art Online, and Dragon Ball Z are the two that is popping up in my head at the moment regarding that.
Apr 22, 6:21 PM

Sep 2018
Gintama is a anime I liked, but not a goat tier like I see in mal rankings. As to why; I disliked the big dog Sadaharu. Some arcs are goated though like Umibozu.

Bocchi is another good but not goat.
rohan121Apr 22, 6:27 PM
May 26, 5:03 PM

Aug 2019
Feeling that with Frieren, but to each their own. I'm so impartial with that series.

EDIT: Frieren is just the most recent example, but "Your Name" is definitely my answer. I expect it of this website, but there's so much more negativity against Miyazaki than Makoto Shinkai from what I've seen. I've found Shinkai's stuff to not measure up to the acclaim that it's gotten.
bucciestMay 26, 8:02 PM
May 26, 5:21 PM

Aug 2022

The first season of Link Click is mixed bag for me. I liked it better in its first half when it was an anthology series of two guys helping out random people. It went downhill for me when it went all in on a serialized mystery thriller drama against some supernatural adversary.

When the second season became hammy, cheesy with its overall plot, I warmed up to it.
May 26, 5:35 PM

Aug 2021
Gintama. I’m only 56 episodes in and I’m going to keep going, but I wouldn’t put it above half the anime I’ve seen. Some episodes were gut-busting, like 25 and 50, but that is just not consistent enough for an anime of this length to be considered as highly as it is.

It is good, but I can’t even conceive how it is considered the greatest.
«努力と根性!»
May 26, 5:44 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to nighm
Gintama. I’m only 56 episodes in and I’m going to keep going, but I wouldn’t put it above half the anime I’ve seen. Some episodes were gut-busting, like 25 and 50, but that is just not consistent enough for an anime of this length to be considered as highly as it is.

It is good, but I can’t even conceive how it is considered the greatest.
@nighm As someone who's seen four seasons of "Gintama" (equivalent to 300+ episodes), I can say that I really agree with not understanding at all why this series is held in such high regards. Proves to me even more that I can't take the top ranked anime list on this site seriously, too. I started this series thinking it was good, but as time went on it just lost me more and more that I'm fine with not finishing it. I don't think it's worth it.
May 26, 5:52 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to 8oomer
Steins Gate clearly. The first 5 or 6 episodes I'd score 6's. The latter half was great (if repetitive) and frankly I thought the conclusion was deus ex machina. Personally scored a 7.

Freiren. I loved it but it's not #1. Top 10 for sure. Even then, I enjoyed Apothecary Diary more and rated it a 9 (Freiren I gave a "high 8" i.e. not quite 9 material but close).

Kaguya-sama I found to be rather senseless, annoying and repetitive. I liked the joke delivery, timing, narration, animation and characters (except the male mc is repulsive, frankly). So I appreciated the production aspects and most of the characters but that's it. Scored 6. The 3rd season seems to be even more gushed over so who knows, maybe I'll somehow blitz through S2 to find out if it's the same routine or something different.

Gintama I haven't gotten too far into but it's already seeming to be a bit too silly. And I'm not adverse to silly (Best Student Council comes to mind), but it has to be a certain kind of silly, I guess. It's too early to give it a score but I'm leaning to 7.

Bocchi the Rock. I really liked it (gave it an 8) and there were some bits worthy of massive repeated re-watching but the universal craze for it seems a bit much (like Freiren in that regard).

Boku no Kokoro. Also liked it but I'm not in any hurry to que up the sequel. Scored 7. Takagi-san, Kubo-san wo Mob, Nagatoro, Dress-up Darling are all better IMO and feature a similar situation of an ordinary, herbivore male somehow hooking up with a "high level" female.

8oomer said:
Gintama I haven't gotten too far into but it's already seeming to be a bit too silly. And I'm not adverse to silly (Best Student Council comes to mind), but it has to be a certain kind of silly, I guess. It's too early to give it a score but I'm leaning to 7.

"Gintama" does get less silly later on in the sense that it has more frequent arcs that are more serious in tone, but even when the series tries to be serious it's not that good, but who knows? Maybe you'll like those parts. They just made me appreciate the comedic episodes instead.
May 27, 7:38 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to bucciest
@nighm As someone who's seen four seasons of "Gintama" (equivalent to 300+ episodes), I can say that I really agree with not understanding at all why this series is held in such high regards. Proves to me even more that I can't take the top ranked anime list on this site seriously, too. I started this series thinking it was good, but as time went on it just lost me more and more that I'm fine with not finishing it. I don't think it's worth it.
@bucciest

Oh no! I don't know if I should thank you for saving me the trouble or be discouraged because I am already committed to watching it. But at the very least, it helps me not feel crazy for my opinion on it.

You mentioned Frieren as a pick above. The thing is, I gave Frieren a 10 myself. I watched it every Friday and was glad to start rewatching it with anyone interested, so I feel like if the average is below my actual score, it's hard for me to say the average is wrong. I am a little surprised that the rating is still so high, but I'm all for it. As for whether it is the "greatest", it does seem to early to tell. Any series that had a great first season but then peters out... well, it's hard to call it the greatest. So we still have time, but I would let it be a contender.
«努力と根性!»
May 27, 8:43 AM

Apr 2021
A silent voice
Clannad after story
Every popular battle shounen
Attack on titan
Akira (maybe it was great back then but now it's pretty normal)
Code Geass
Gintama
Monster
GTO
Entire jojo series
May 27, 6:59 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
Oshi no ko I guess. It was good but I wouldn’t consider it to be the best thing since sliced bread
May 28, 6:01 AM

Feb 2024
Sousou no Frieren and Perfect Blue, They're good, but they're not that great.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Who are your Top 10 Favorite Waifus?

DesuMaiden - 4 hours ago

13 by kebenaj »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 51 minutes ago

12 by Guilmon1 »»
4 minutes ago

» InuYasha as an Isekai Narrative.

Hartm12 - 10 hours ago

8 by KitsuFrost »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 2 hours ago

15 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

251 by Scavendgarr »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.