Forum Settings
Forums

What do you consider to be best english DUBed anime?

New
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 15, 2007 5:09 PM

Aug 2007
Urai said:
None, they all suck

I do agree, I was been sarcastic! XD
Aug 15, 2007 7:47 PM
Jun 2007
Urai said:
None, they all suck

That is just a ridiculously ignorant statement...*sigh*

Trevor (OP)
Aug 15, 2007 8:16 PM

Aug 2007
Anything on adult swim is dubed pretty good. But Inuyasha I couldnt really only watch it in english the Japanese voices dont really pull me into it.

I can tell from the trailor Death Note's dub is gonna make my ears bleed.
Aug 15, 2007 8:51 PM

May 2007
I don't usually watch english dubs... but I thought the FLCL dub and the Noir dub weren't that bad.

❝goodbyes are always hard, no matter how you might try to make them easier.❞

Aug 15, 2007 9:57 PM

May 2007
Kyocool said:
Urai said:
None, they all suck

Trevor (OP)

It would be good to give examples to prove your point.

I thought that Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Muyo!, and Vision of Escaflowne were done pretty well.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Heroes in a half shell,
Turtle Power!

The dubs for this would be good, no?
Aug 15, 2007 10:07 PM

Jun 2007
One of the best dubs I can think of would be Kiddy Grade. I think Funimation did an excellent job on it and some of the people gave some of their best performances in this show. Colleen was great as Eclaire to name one good job.

Give the gift of love, and people think you're cheap. Give them a cheap bit of crap, and they love you for it. Go figure
Aug 15, 2007 11:33 PM

Mar 2007
i usually watch subs.

don't really watch english dubs that much, but i'd have to say FMA. except for Al's voice.
Aug 16, 2007 12:50 AM

Mar 2007
Ranivus said:
Ranivus said:

Please dont post "english dubs sux!!" threads please, its already painfully obvious and we get the idea... This is for people to post animes that they think are real good dubs so others can get a foothold on what is a good anime to watch.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Aug 16, 2007 8:31 AM

Feb 2007
Ok I get the point... ;p

From the few dubs I've seen I think Akira is the best.
Aug 16, 2007 10:51 AM

May 2007
theplayster said:
ZoiQ said:
bible black I heard.

LOL you gotta be kidding right?! XD

No I am not kidding, I really heard that from other people, but it is obviously sarcasm. I've seen a part on youtube, it was so bad (even with japanese dubs)

shiro-chan said:
i usually watch subs.

don't really watch english dubs that much, but i'd have to say FMA. except for Al's voice.

That's obviously because the japanese kugimiya rie is much better <3
Aug 16, 2007 8:15 PM
Jun 2007
mild_even said:
Kyocool said:
Urai said:
None, they all suck

Trevor (OP)

I thought that Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Muyo!, and Vision of Escaflowne were done pretty well.

Heroes in a half shell,
Turtle Power!

To add to that FMA and DBZ (both imo sounded MUCH better in their dubbed versions than in their origninally voiced ones)

Trevor (OP)
Aug 16, 2007 8:23 PM

May 2007
Kyocool said:
mild_even said:
Kyocool said:
Urai said:
None, they all suck

Trevor (OP)

Heroes in a half shell,
Turtle Power!

To add to that FMA and DBZ (both imo sounded MUCH better in their dubbed versions than in their origninally voiced ones)

Trevor (OP)

I definitely agree with you about DBZ. I haven't seen FMA dubbed, but the voice acting was pretty good for the original. And I won't be re-watching FMA because I was not impressed with the last 20 episodes of the series. However, I am picking up the manga, which I hear is very good.
Aug 17, 2007 2:46 PM

Aug 2007
Dragon Ball Z.

Mainly because the Japanese voice of Goku is how i would imagine a 5 year old Japanese schoolgirl on helium would sound like.

There OTT english dub voice acting suits to OTT enviroment.

Aug 17, 2007 2:50 PM

Mar 2007
Hahah bible black dub... its like any other style of pron... bad pron acting is a staple for the pron industry... why would hentai pron be any different?

Aug 17, 2007 10:19 PM

Aug 2007
Ranivus said:
Hahah bible black dub... its like any other style of pron... bad pron acting is a staple for the pron industry... why would hentai pron be any different?

The dialogue is just too horrible and it's simple as that XD
Aug 18, 2007 1:05 AM

Jun 2007
Sense-Offender said:
Lupin III.

It was totally changed from the original, but it was so funny.

Five month old quote, but, eh, who cares? :P Dead on right. The Lupin dub is just awesome. I can't imagine the Japanese version being a tenth as funny as the English one. You just can't go wrong with Goemon commenting, "Ah, it's the old exploding bear trap in the ass trick." or Lupin scolding, "Jigen, can't you see I'm consoling an emotionally fragile piece of tail?" It's golden.

I like a lot of dubs. Cowboy Bebop's is amazing and my favorite. You couldn't pay me to watch it in Japanese. Steven Jay Blum is Spike. Period.

R.O.D. the TV had a fantastic dub. Talisen Jaffe really knows how to get great performances out of his VAs whether they're experienced, novices, kids, whatever.

Tons of others. FLCL, Champloo, Gankutsuou, FMP!, Excel Saga, Fruits Basket, Lain, anything Miyazaki, etc. Blanket statements such as "all dubs are bad" really betray a sense of closed-mindedness on their own without any help.
Aug 18, 2007 5:59 AM

May 2007
I remember when I first saw Slayers. It was a dubbed version and Lisa Ortiz was the voice of Lina Inverse and she was very good. I forget the voice actors/actresses of the other main characters. Overall, the English dub was great and was on par with the Japanese version. However, if I had a preference, it would be the Japanese version. Megumi Hayashibara was fantastic as Lina Inverse.
Aug 18, 2007 11:23 AM

Aug 2007
I avoid dubs at all costs if I can... I just really tend not to like them.

Boys Be (The whopping one episode I watched of it) blew me away though. I mean, it definitely wasn't a series I would continue watching, but I felt they did an amazing job with what I saw. The voices just seemed to fit. Maybe fans would disagree with me, I dunno.

FMA had a pretty good dub too and they tend to do VERY well with the Miyazaki movies too.

I have to disagree with the nominations for Bleach and Sailor Moon though... with Bleach, so many of the voices just don't fit, I hear them and wish they would have switched some of them around. Kurotsuchi and Chad have hands down the best suited VA in that dub. Sailor Moon... the acting is pretty decent, but often the voices are TOO obnoxious for the character. Sure, I liked it when I was 7 but looking back on it now after seeing the Japanese original, not so much.
Aug 18, 2007 11:49 AM

May 2007
ayaseyue said:
Sailor Moon... the acting is pretty decent, but often the voices are TOO obnoxious for the character. Sure, I liked it when I was 7 but looking back on it now after seeing the Japanese original, not so much.

I hear that the American version has been bastardized in order to appeal to younger girls and little boys going through puberty and the original is a lot like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni... ^_^
Aug 18, 2007 12:19 PM

Jul 2007
mild_even said:
ayaseyue said:
Sailor Moon... the acting is pretty decent, but often the voices are TOO obnoxious for the character. Sure, I liked it when I was 7 but looking back on it now after seeing the Japanese original, not so much.

I hear that the American version has been bastardized in order to appeal to younger girls and little boys going through puberty and the original is a lot like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni... ^_^

...Disregard what you've heard, Sailor Moon is aimed toward a fairly young audience, regardless of language.

oh, these little earthquakes
Aug 18, 2007 12:28 PM

May 2007
AnomalousOne said:
mild_even said:
ayaseyue said:

...Disregard what you've heard, Sailor Moon is aimed toward a fairly young audience, regardless of language.

I guess my joke didn't get through.
Aug 19, 2007 7:09 AM

Aug 2007
The only anime that I completely watched in English dubs, was Digimon Tamers. I hate dubs. Oh, but not Samurai Pizza Cats! Those are actually funny in English. I think the most horrifying dubs are Cardcaptors and Mew Mew Power. Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo Mew Mew, the originals, are way better, especially with CCS! The whole storyline is screwed up in CC -.-
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Aug 19, 2007 10:08 AM

Jun 2007
Honestly, the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs. If only because they bothered to cast real British voice actors for British characters. Natch.' Although seriously, it is the best of the lot that I've seen, followed closely by Samurai Champloo.
Aug 19, 2007 10:17 AM
Jul 2007
I'd say Hellsing. It's the only one I actually prefer in english. They play with the language a lot more since it takes place in england. The japanese vocal track seems a little bland to me.

I think Cowboy Bebop has a pretty good dub as well.
Aug 20, 2007 8:05 AM

Jun 2007
Just watched Karas...thought the dub went well in my opinion.

Aug 20, 2007 11:00 AM

Mar 2007
thats one of my favorites ^_^

they actually have "real" actors dubbing it and surprisingly went well imo ^_^

Aug 20, 2007 11:44 AM

Jun 2007
gotta add Princess Mononoke because it had hollywood actors in it and Disney did a great job.

Aug 20, 2007 5:41 PM

Aug 2007
mild_even said:
AnomalousOne said:
mild_even said:
ayaseyue said:

Don't worry... I caught it >_>
Aug 20, 2007 6:59 PM

Jul 2007
mild_even said:
AnomalousOne said:
mild_even said:
ayaseyue said:

Nope, not at all! ^_^

oh, these little earthquakes
Aug 20, 2007 11:38 PM

Aug 2007
BIBLE BLACK! no im kidding XD. hmm...if i had to choose, i'd say Spirited Away. Disney did a wonderful job. Miyazaki didnt want disney to cut out any clips or shorten any mouth movements so it was hard for disney to match words for lip movement. but i think they did a great job.
Aug 21, 2007 12:42 AM

May 2007
I want to see a dub of the show that has Razor Ramon Haddo Gei.
Aug 21, 2007 11:29 AM

May 2007
Agreed, me too. I want him to say 'FOOOOOOOOOOOO~!'
Aug 22, 2007 1:54 AM

Jun 2007
Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Wolf's Rain come to mind.

Honorable Mentions: Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
fool_on_the_hillAug 22, 2007 1:58 AM
Aug 22, 2007 3:58 AM

Jun 2007
I find G.I.T.S. S.A.C. to me among the best put out so far in dubbed form. Whoever did the scouting for that show needs to be put into more work.
Aug 22, 2007 11:47 PM

Feb 2007
Fruits Basket, Cowboy Bebop, GITS, and Hellsing are the first ones I think of.

As a general rule of thumb I usually like to watch shows in both the Sub and Dubbed version if I like the show. I put a lot of hours into re-watching shows, and I like to get the most out of it.

That being said if a show has Bridget Hoffman, Dorothy Elias-Fahn, or Crispin Freeman in it.....watching the Dub :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Guidelines!
Aug 22, 2007 11:53 PM

Jul 2007
Howl's Moving Castle had an AMAZING dub, seriously. I was so torn on which language track to set it on when I rented it, haha. The dub for Cowboy Bebop will always have a place in my heart filed under "awesome", but I admit, I've never seen the original...however, I've rewatched Cowboy Bebop at least a 15 times and never had the urge too (when I usually do), so I guess that's a sign that the dub satisfied me. :p
~ m e l i
// anime list // manga list //
---------------

Avatar made by me, please credit During A Rainfall if using. :)<!--size--></span>
Aug 23, 2007 5:53 PM
Aug 2007
Wow sometimes I prefer to watch english dubs..so that there will be no hard time to read the subs hehehe
Aug 26, 2007 1:03 AM

Mar 2007
AnomalousOne said:
mild_even said:
AnomalousOne said:
mild_even said:
ayaseyue said:

Nope, not at all! ^_^

HAH thats funny to meee...

Aug 26, 2007 11:22 AM

Jun 2007
i think fullmetal alchemist, dbz , and even yugioh had good dubs
funimation is probably the best dubbing company so far
Aug 26, 2007 2:08 PM

Aug 2007
i would probably say bleach, case closed, and inuyasha. just because those are the main dubbed animes i watched. they're really good compared to others!
Aug 26, 2007 2:13 PM

Aug 2007
Most of the dubbed anime I've seen has been excellent. Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Fruits Basket, FLCL, Heat Guy J - all are great examples of dubbing done well.

To be honest, the most annoying kind of anime fan is the sub purist who asserts that anime is 'crap' in dub - this is not the case. Anime can regularly be enhanced by dubs, even!
Aug 26, 2007 6:21 PM

Aug 2007
Hellsing, its the only one I have seen.
Aug 27, 2007 11:38 AM

Mar 2007
NOONE SAID:

All poekmon anime ^_^

nyarth vs meowth what do you think :P

Aug 27, 2007 12:36 PM

Aug 2007
Ugh, Is pokemon actually considered Anime nowadays?

Anyways...

Gundam Wing + Endless Waltz & MS 08th Team
FLCL was alright
The few FMP parts I heard...
Ghost In the Shell...
Outlaw Star
NGE (Bash all you want I'd rather hear Asuka in English)
Bout all that I can think of at the moment.

Aug 27, 2007 1:01 PM

Aug 2007
I thought fullmetal alchemist was a pretty good dub.
Aug 27, 2007 2:50 PM

Aug 2007
gunbladekid09 said:
NGE (Bash all you want I'd rather hear Asuka in English)

I agree with that. Asuka is a MILLION times better in English, with Tiffany Grant. Same goes for Rei and of course, Alison Keith is just superb as Misato!
Aug 27, 2007 3:58 PM

Jul 2007
oh man. it's most defiantly gantz XD
Aug 27, 2007 5:11 PM

May 2007
Ranivus said:
NOONE SAID:

All poekmon anime ^_^

nyarth vs meowth what do you think :P

I don't know who they are but QFT! XD I cracked when I heard the voices 8D Couldn't get any better.

You should really hear the german, italian and portoguese version. Damn, I lol'd. XD
Aug 27, 2007 11:02 PM

Apr 2007
It has to be Trigun, or Cowboy bebop. I would say bebop ftw
Aug 28, 2007 8:34 PM

Aug 2007
Mm Probley Pokemon Lol..
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why are certain anime girls considered plain even though they are cute in their own right?

fallout45 - 9 hours ago

14 by Daviljoe193 »»
2 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Yesterday

36 by Quadruple_Oi »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime has best memes

nishant0 - 8 hours ago

8 by RainyEvenings »»
35 minutes ago

» Favorite opening (or ending) of an anime you haven't seen

Phantomtroupe97 - 7 hours ago

23 by Khashishi »»
39 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

654 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.