Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
How much does the mistranslation “waifu” bother you?
Oct 16, 2:26 PM
Jul 2022

It really annoys me when translators give themselves the freedom to change the meaning of words on purpose!
What do you think?
Oct 16, 2:32 PM
Oct 2018
but she is his waifu because she is not real
Oct 16, 2:35 PM
Oct 2023
What was the original word
Oct 16, 2:42 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to CatChud
What was the original word
@CatChud Yome (wife), Corneas used word Hanayome (bride)
Oct 16, 2:43 PM
Jan 2022
rest assured, nobody gives a fuxk
Oct 16, 2:43 PM

Apr 2020
Im above the age of 16 and have a Life, also.
So it doesn't.
Oct 16, 2:50 PM
Nov 2022
Damn bothered bro so much he made two separate posts
Oct 16, 2:57 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to Kaze1214
Damn bothered bro so much he made two separate posts
@Kaze1214 I didn't make two, mal made two for some reason
Oct 16, 3:38 PM
Jan 2021
Huh obviously I'm not like outraged or whatever. But I'm surprised at the reception to this post.

I find it just a bit too extreme of a change. It changes the nuance entirely. I watch in the original language for a reason, I'd like the story to be untouched as much as possible (obviously some localization is fine)

Waifu albeit funny and relatively in character for Subaru. Is just simply a completely different tone than wife.

And there's not even a purpose for the change besides the translator choosing to change it to what they think is best. You didn't need to localize it, western audiences wouldn't be confused at the scene if they left it as wife rather than waifu.

This just reads of arrogance "my opinion of which words would be best here is superior to the authors"
Troco72Oct 16, 3:41 PM
Oct 16, 3:47 PM
May 2022
It's not even a mistranslation. Yome isn't the normal word for a wife, as in you wouldn't call your wife yome. A more accurate translation wpuld be bride (so it has exactly the same primary meaning as hanayome) but the word is also used the same way as waifu is. In this context Subaru obviously isn't calling Emilia his bride but instead he uses it the same way an English speaker might say waifu.
Oct 16, 4:12 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to Kabaishi
It's not even a mistranslation. Yome isn't the normal word for a wife, as in you wouldn't call your wife yome. A more accurate translation wpuld be bride (so it has exactly the same primary meaning as hanayome) but the word is also used the same way as waifu is. In this context Subaru obviously isn't calling Emilia his bride but instead he uses it the same way an English speaker might say waifu.
It is true that Yome is not a normal word for wife but it is not a bride, that Subaru in this context isn't calling Emilia his bride but instead he uses it the same way an English speaker might say waifu is wrong. If Subaru had said that out of nowhere you would have been right but it was in response to Corneas' statement. Whatever the exact meaning of Hanayome is closer to a bride than a wife due to the situation, and Subaru's use of the word Yome suggests that he is trying to say that she is already his wife and is taken (of course not literally as with Corneas)

The use of the word Yome is not that rare.

here
vesamija8Oct 16, 4:53 PM
Oct 16, 4:13 PM

Jul 2022
someone324 said:

It really annoys me when translators give themselves the freedom to change the meaning of words on purpose!
What do you think?

As someone who speaks japanese, this looked even better imo
Oct 16, 4:38 PM
Nov 2023
vesamija8 said:
@CatChud Yome (wife), Corneas used word Hanayome (bride)

Not really, Yome and hanayome are more bride, you’d say Tsuma in reference to your own wife or okusan for someone else’s. Amusingly, yome is also used for daughter in law. Strange language…
Oct 16, 4:45 PM

Mar 2023
If he wanted to mean wife, he would of used tsuma. Yome implies wife, but not actually his literal current wife here, hence waifu was a better translation imo.. just wife misses the nuance of choosing to use yome over tsuma (wife) or hanayome (bride). There isn't a perfect English word to use here.
Oct 16, 4:58 PM
May 2022
vesamija8 said:
It is true that Yome is not a normal word for wife but it is not a bride, that Subaru in this context isn't calling Emilia his bride but instead he uses it the same way an English speaker might say waifu is wrong. If Subaru had said that out of nowhere you would have been right but it was in response to Corneas' statement. Whatever the exact meaning of Hanayome is closer to a bride than a wife due to the situation, and Subaru's use of the word Yome suggests that he is trying to say that she is already his wife and is taken (of course not literally as with Corneas)

here

If you look at Japanese sources (like this: https://life.saisoncard.co.jp/other/post/c131/) you'll notice (if you understand Japanese) that in standard Japanese it's used to mean mainly a bride or a daughter in law. It's used to mean wife mainly in Kansai dialect. It's used just like waifu in internet slang and Subaru is obviously a nerd, which is evident already in that same sentence where he refers to her as Emilia-tan. That honorific is also mainly used in internet to refer to waifus. I'd say that it's very much in character fpr him to use such nerdish slang even in a serious situation.
Oct 16, 5:26 PM

Oct 2020
It was translated "BRIDE" 👰‍♀️ in Muse Network.
WISHED I COULD ALSO GET TRANSPORTED TO A WORLD FULL OF MAGIC And DUNGEONS, please take me there too if you could (⁠ ⁠◜⁠‿⁠◝⁠ ⁠)⁠
Oct 16, 6:27 PM
Jun 2016
I think this on top of the actually bad translation errors in episode 1 isn’t a great look. For this specifically if this was in a silly mansion or inn scene I wouldn’t mind but this is a very serious scene and Subaru calling Emilia his “waifu” just comes off as very jokey and like he isn’t taking the whole thing seriously.

And like, I don’t really know what they were thinking because I’m pretty sure no one in the English speaking world would use the term “waifu” unironically in a real conversation with someone. I figured I’d check the LN and that translated it to him calling her his bride, which not only doesn’t sound cringe but is also him directly countering what Corneus just said.
Oct 16, 6:32 PM
Oct 2019
It makes it look like Subaru's character regressed back to Season 1 Subaru.
Oct 16, 11:15 PM
Mar 2022
I don't think Cruncyroll's translators are paid enough to not try to have afun little at their job
Oct 16, 11:26 PM

Sep 2018
Not really hot and bothered, but that is since I understood the japanese to know he actually meant she is my bride. I think they should use machine translations if the localizer can't deliver a accurate translation.
Yesterday, 2:40 AM
Nov 2016
In this specific case, I don't mind, that's just Subaru being the usual cringelord that he is so that mistranslation actually fits his personality, I'm more worried about Regulus not understanding what the fuck waifu even means.
Yesterday, 3:28 AM

Jun 2009
I'm not going to rage over it, but I do think it's corny and dumb. Waifu is colloquially an otaku culture term, so it just makes Subaru seem like his character regressed slightly. And it's simply not accurate, which always just makes me ask "why even do that" when it comes to translations.
Yesterday, 3:29 AM

Jun 2009
xZabuzax said:
In this specific case, I don't mind, that's just Subaru being the usual cringelord that he is so that mistranslation actually fits his personality, I'm more worried about Regulus not understanding what the fuck waifu even means.

Well, but he didn't say something cringey in Japanese. The localizers made it cringey.
Yesterday, 4:25 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to xZabuzax
@xZabuzax that's the thing he wasn't trying to act cringe there or meant to be cringe, Crunchyroll made it cringe
Yesterday, 4:45 AM
Nov 2016
eightdollarwater said:
Well, but he didn't say something cringey in Japanese. The localizers made it cringey.

Ace0902 said:
that's the thing he wasn't trying to act cringe there or meant to be cringe, Crunchyroll made it cringe

Yeah I know, Subaru was probably not meant to be cringe in that part, what I mean is that Subaru is usually a cringelord, and because of that, the waifu stuff also fits his personality even if it was a mistranslation so it wasn't too bad for me.

But we have to ask the real questions here, do Regulus even know what a waifu is? will he look it up in the dictionary?
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

Apr 2013
Eh, I noticed that it's wrong and moved on. Do I wish they wouldn't mistranslate stuff like that? Yes, but it's CR, what do you expect?
Yesterday, 12:28 PM
Apr 2021
Kabaishi said:
vesamija8 said:

here

If you look at Japanese sources (like this: https://life.saisoncard.co.jp/other/post/c131/) you'll notice (if you understand Japanese) that in standard Japanese it's used to mean mainly a bride or a daughter in law. It's used to mean wife mainly in Kansai dialect. It's used just like waifu in internet slang and Subaru is obviously a nerd, which is evident already in that same sentence where he refers to her as Emilia-tan. That honorific is also mainly used in internet to refer to waifus. I'd say that it's very much in character fpr him to use such nerdish slang even in a serious situation.

Maybe you're right about that, but Subaru is not in Japan, but in another world in front of a crazy a witch cultist who claims that Emilia is his bride, did he say something nerdy in such a situation or was he serious, only the author knows (I think he was serious and answered in the same form as Corneias), that's why I don't think it's up to the translators to decide, the word yome would probably sound like you said in reality but this is anime, if we were to judge the things used in anime by the standards of reality most words and sentences would sound cringe or nerdy (most may be a slight exaggeration) , but even if it's really as you say, I'm 90% sure that the translator didn't do it thinking it was correct. Chrunchyroll translators are known for this sort of thing.

If you want to see the will of the author, see this:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2184612

Just to tell you in case you don't know, the first picture from Twitter in this discussion comes from Ice's account, Ice is in the team of official translators of the Re zero light novel, he is very trustworthy, of course if he says this, it's probably what the author means.
vesamija8Yesterday, 12:48 PM
12 hours ago
Jul 2015
Im definitely annoyed because it kind of changes the whole meaning of the sentance, but it certainly won’t keep me up at night.
10 hours ago
May 2024
I mean it ticked me off a but I didn't watch it on CR anyways (and got a different translation) so it doesn't bother me that much.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Re:Zero Ending?

Orange4Rock - Oct 14

21 by strawberaetae »»
1 minute ago

» any season 3 critics so far?

PLEIADES_ - Yesterday

23 by no_comparisonBM »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 3rd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 16

148 by lotus_eater »»
2 hours ago

» The "waifu" mistranslation is awful wrong

past_feelings - Oct 16

18 by Phantomnocomics »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » How much does the mistranslation “waifu” bother you?

someone324 - Oct 16

30 by dazedcowcow62 »»
7 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.