Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 7:22 AM

Mar 2018
my friend told me he had his 20th birthday in wano arc.

edit: changed it after double checking what he said and further inquiring him about it where he just says he heard it from some SBS

just cited some Q&A section where Oda answers fan questions and confirms that luffy had a birthday in wano. (disputed)

PhantomnocomicsJul 8, 2:09 PM
Jul 8, 9:00 AM

Feb 2018
Both of those things are lies. Luffy’s birthday is never mentioned in the story iirc, and that SBS doesn’t mention it.

It’s possible he is, but all we know is that he’s at least 19.
Jul 8, 9:39 AM
Aug 2022
987 doesn't mention his birthday even once. Is this a joke? Wouldn't you have at least looked at that chapter?
Jul 8, 9:42 AM
Aug 2022
17 pre time skip 19 post time skip. Age does not matter until their 60s.
I also heard this but never confirmed it, Oda said he kept Luffy under 20 because he would have to start changing his design if he made him older according his own rules. Luffy would begin to become Roger and Garp size.
Jul 8, 10:41 AM
Sep 2021
Phantomnocomics said:

and cited this:

Chapter 987: This chapter focuses heavily on Luffy's birthday. While not stated outright, it's implied to be his 20th due to the events leading up to it and the reactions of the Straw Hats.
Volume 98's SBS: SBS (Shitsumon o Boshu Suru, "I will answer all your questions") is a Q&A section where Oda answers fan questions. In Volume 98's SBS, he confirms that Luffy indeed turned 20 during the raid on Onigashima.

So I just read that SBS again.

And there's nothing mentioned about Luffy's age.

The only birthday or age-related thing mentioned there is Yamato's birthday (03.11.).
Jul 8, 10:56 AM
Sep 2021
Phantomnocomics said:

and cited this:

Chapter 987: This chapter focuses heavily on Luffy's birthday. While not stated outright, it's implied to be his 20th due to the events leading up to it and the reactions of the Straw Hats.
Volume 98's SBS: SBS (Shitsumon o Boshu Suru, "I will answer all your questions") is a Q&A section where Oda answers fan questions. In Volume 98's SBS, he confirms that Luffy indeed turned 20 during the raid on Onigashima.

I also just skimmed the chapter (chapter 987).

There's nothing even in the slightest mentioned about Luffy age or birthday.
Jul 8, 11:01 AM
Sep 2021
DayRivia said:
17 pre time skip 19 post time skip. Age does not matter until their 60s.
I also heard this but never confirmed it, Oda said he kept Luffy under 20 because he would have to start changing his design if he made him older according his own rules. Luffy would begin to become Roger and Garp size.

I've never heard about that.
I think it's nowhere mentioned.
So most likely just the mandela effect. lol

(What you mentioned you've heard but don't know if it's true.)
Jul 8, 11:20 AM
Aug 2022
I heard it somewhere on youtube. I can't find anything on it either but Google sucks. It could be out there in some obscure interview, doesn't matter much either way. Luffy won't be aging again until the epilogue if there is one.
Jul 8, 11:58 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to DayRivia
I heard it somewhere on youtube. I can't find anything on it either but Google sucks. It could be out there in some obscure interview, doesn't matter much either way. Luffy won't be aging again until the epilogue if there is one.
@DayRivia @walrsu @loaf_dontcare

i just asked them again and they said they heard about from some interview or sbs on youtube or something.

ig it's possible how he might be 20 but we just don't know. welp
Jul 8, 12:00 PM
Aug 2022
Phantomnocomics said:

i just asked them again and they said they heard about from some interview or sbs on youtube or something.

It's just the way Oda writes. Not a single person ages or has birthdays during the main story. I dont think we even know if they have the same 365 days we do.
Jul 8, 12:02 PM

Mar 2018
Reply to DayRivia
Phantomnocomics said:

It's just the way Oda writes. Not a single person ages or has birthdays during the main story. I dont think we even know if they have the same 365 days we do.
@DayRivia damn, reminds me of itachi.

Jul 8, 12:10 PM
Aug 2022
Phantomnocomics said:
@DayRivia damn, reminds me of itachi.

Haha that's rough
Jul 8, 1:44 PM
Aug 2021
Phantomnocomics said:

edit: changed it after double checking what he said and further inquiring him about it where he just said he heard it from some SBS

and cited this:

SBS:in some Q&A section where Oda answers fan questions he confirms that Luffy indeed turned 20.

[/quote]
Wano arc only lasted a few weeks. What are the odds he actually has his birthday in that timeframe?
Jul 13, 12:24 AM

May 2017
Time and Age does not really matter in OP anyway. most things feel like they should have played out over way longer time. And imo this is one of One Piece biggests downsides. Especially the Anime feels so streched out, while in reality all that happens is only such a short timeframe. Imo the story so far should have at least been streched out over 5-6 years in the OP world. It would feel much more natural. And I say that as an absolute OP Fan.
Jul 14, 3:27 AM
Jul 2015
All characters in One Piece have birthdays, but I think Oda mentioned in SBS that those aren't going to be relevant in the story.

It is easy to keep them the same age unless there's a timeskip.
Jul 14, 9:40 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to XGirl86
All characters in One Piece have birthdays, but I think Oda mentioned in SBS that those aren't going to be relevant in the story.

It is easy to keep them the same age unless there's a timeskip.
@XGirl86 oh, makes sense. so they do have birthdays but are kept hidden from the main plot so oda can focus in the events rather than the characters personal lives details. makes sense

it reminds me of how even tho there were hints of nami having feelings for luffy (strong world), oda doesn't like to delve into it cuz he doesn't want romance in his story
Jul 15, 2:14 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to Phantomnocomics
@XGirl86 oh, makes sense. so they do have birthdays but are kept hidden from the main plot so oda can focus in the events rather than the characters personal lives details. makes sense

it reminds me of how even tho there were hints of nami having feelings for luffy (strong world), oda doesn't like to delve into it cuz he doesn't want romance in his story
@Phantomnocomics Yeah, I find that when anime don't exactly use the year for when events occurred it makes it easier to not think so much as timeline wise.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 673 Discussion ( 1 2 )

84DaysWithout - Jul 4, 2012

67 by Camyy »»
Yesterday, 4:11 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 671 Discussion ( 1 2 )

84DaysWithout - Jun 13, 2012

66 by Camyy »»
Yesterday, 1:21 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

32 by PrinceLied »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1128 Discussion

FMmatron - Oct 1

21 by a0i-kun »»
Oct 4, 10:39 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1111 Discussion

FMmatron - Mar 19

47 by PrinceLied »»
Oct 4, 9:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.