Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 24, 7:29 PM
Aug 2021
I think this anime has many similarities to the animanga "Monster". Especially when it comes to the themes of [spoiler]responsibilities for the action of others, cat and mouse dynamics playing out over the distance of many countries outside of japan, the protagonist being a prodigey in a profession that consequently brings harm to others[/spoler], and so on. Of course it stands on its own merits as it is as a hidden gem, but i do believe it could've been an equal to "Monster" in popularity, too. The only obvious thing for me, that monster did way better then phantom, is its structure of its story and inclusion and exploration of way more branches that gave the story its depth

There were so many moments in phantom, in which plotwists or conclusions were happening after it either jumps to the long-term consequences of them a few months down the line without using the time in between to explore the immediate consequences and then some more, or the immediate reactions and consequences would feel rushed. Both gave me small feelings of disconnect sometimes.

I truly believe, that phantom could've worked with a runtime like monster, and could've had enough to satisfy the need to fill out some gaps with your imagination, where it mattered.

Anyone think so, too?

Still a strong 9/10-10/10 because idc. Love it to pieces
Jun 24, 9:57 PM
Nov 2023
Skep_Tech said:
I think this anime has many similarities to the animanga "Monster". Especially when it comes to the themes of [spoiler]responsibilities for the action of others, cat and mouse dynamics playing out over the distance of many countries outside of japan, the protagonist being a prodigey in a profession that consequently brings harm to others[/spoler], and so on. Of course it stands on its own merits as it is as a hidden gem, but i do believe it could've been an equal to "Monster" in popularity, too. The only obvious thing for me, that monster did way better then phantom, is its structure of its story and inclusion and exploration of way more branches that gave the story its depth

There were so many moments in phantom, in which plotwists or conclusions were happening after it either jumps to the long-term consequences of them a few months down the line without using the time in between to explore the immediate consequences and then some more, or the immediate reactions and consequences would feel rushed. Both gave me small feelings of disconnect sometimes.

I truly believe, that phantom could've worked with a runtime like monster, and could've had enough to satisfy the need to fill out some gaps with your imagination, where it mattered.

Anyone think so, too?

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is a work of art through the story and the way it is transposed with the anime. I don't know and I haven't watched Monster, but Phantom remains in 2nd place, all time favorite anime, it's very complex, with a lot of drama, action and a kind of romance, but faded.

I can firmly say that Phantom laid the foundations of a solid foundation in which I entered, the world of anime, and I am grateful that I could watch such a Masterpiece. Quite rightly, Phantom oiled my heart, watching episode after episode, without any other additions, Phantom is a solid and complex anime, having everything, without anything monotonous. So, Phantom is a great classic in this industry, for those who haven't seen it, they should do it, and the perspective of the characters and the way he directs the story is remarkable

(10/10) no doubt!!!!
Jun 25, 4:26 AM
Dec 2022
I had a lot of good memories with this show bud sadly im afraid it slowly started to fade for me, not because its bad or anything now. Besides the mc and heroines names, i barely remember the plot, maybe it merits a rewatch. At first had this at a strong 8.9-9.4 I think to now a 8.7-8.9/10. Which is still really great btw.
Jun 25, 4:32 AM
Aug 2021
itzswxzy said:
I had a lot of good memories with this show bud sadly im afraid it slowly started to fade for me, not because its bad or anything now. Besides the mc and heroines names, i barely remember the plot, maybe it merits a rewatch. At first had this at a strong 8.9-9.4 I think to now a 8.7-8.9/10. Which is still really great btw.

That's one of the consequences i see with many acts and relations not being fleshed out to its full potential. I rewatched it after 8 years and i forgot how many good characters and acts there were in the anime, just like you.
Jun 25, 6:13 AM
Dec 2022
Skep_Tech said:
itzswxzy said:

That's one of the consequences i see with many acts and relations not being fleshed out to its full potential. I rewatched it after 8 years and i forgot how many good characters and acts there were in the anime, just like you.

Yeah, especially the time skip is very blurry for me besides his little student came back from dead and became busty hot
Jun 25, 6:57 AM
Nov 2023
itzswxzy said:
Skep_Tech said:

Yeah, especially the time skip is very blurry for me besides his little student came back from dead and became busty hot

There is also the Visual Novel which presents several endings and others, if you want you can take a look, the LN representation is really good
Jun 25, 7:48 AM

Feb 2024
Honestly, Phantom is nothing like Monster. One of them is a fast paced action show and the other one is a slow paced psychological thriller. Characters are also nothing like each other, especially Scythe Master is a very poorly develoved villain compared to Johan. While the story of Phantom is about Zwei's journey, Monster focuses more on the consequences of actions of multiple characters. Not to mention, Phantom's time skip and change of setting was jarring and poorly done. Phantom still thrives on building tension and enjoyable actions scenes with a cast of strong female characters, and it has a great ending. I would rate both shows 8 but for different reasons.
Jun 25, 1:12 PM
Jan 2023
This anime have special place in my heart. and it is one of the best anime out there. it Is sad that it is so unknown, but Legends will never forget this masterpiece. i am glad that i am part of comunity that saw it. but I really want to play the original video game called Phantom of the Inferno. And it Is sad that the first attempt of this anime have only 3 episodes.
Jun 25, 2:39 PM
Jan 2020
I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with this assessment, as I felt like it was more similar to "Darker than Black" than anything. Having literally only just looked at the Recommendations beneath this entry, apparently others agree with that sentiment.

I watched Monster well over 4 years ago now, and the story still feels so fresh on my mind. Monster had a lot more time to flesh out each of the characters along the way, whereas I can barely remember any of the characters from Requiem for the Phantom, other than Zwei and Ein, since we only saw them for about 26 episodes.
Jun 26, 3:50 AM
Aug 2021
I disagree. I liked Phantom (7.5/10 for me), it certainly has dark themes but Monster is on a whole different level. Even with slower pacing and arguably less violence and gore overall than Phantom, Monster creates a terrifying mystery that is really captivating. Phantom on the other hand is a really good show for an action-packed crime genre. But, when it comes to psychological stuff, Monster is one of the best out there if not the best.
Jun 26, 9:54 PM
Jun 2021
Skep_Tech said:

Anyone think so, too?

I get liking Phantom but that comparison is like putting maple syrup in cereal- doesn't make sense
Sep 23, 10:25 AM
Oct 2022
The first 10 episode for me is 8/10
But rest of the series got poor story and so much nonsense scenes
after time skip(19-26) even got worse

I think the main reason why became like this is multiple routes and endings of visual novel

More topics from this board

» Backdraft (1991) reference ep. 19!

perennial_suit - Aug 23

2 by perennial_suit »»
Aug 24, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2009

160 by perennial_suit »»
Aug 24, 5:00 AM

» The Silver Pocket Watch (possible Noir reference?)

perennial_suit - Aug 22

3 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Aug 22, 11:54 PM

» I kinda miss this show.

JoestarEISH_020 - Jun 17

8 by Thecrot »»
Jul 3, 11:15 AM

Poll: » The impact of ending

Thecrot - Jun 5

11 by Canopusnier »»
Jun 9, 2:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.