Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 28, 2023 1:05 AM
Oct 2011
Yea so Ishida was a shitty guy in elementary school and bullied Shouko. Although looking at the first chapter, he did try and warn her a few times about "holding people back".

Regardless, he did at least try and redeem himself and even saved Shouko from her suicide (seems like his arm has been permanently disabled). And since we could read his though process, we at least have an understanding of why he did what he did.

But this Shimada fucker? He's like the worst scumbag in the series. Not only did he join in the bullying, he then bullied Ishida and tried to murder him a few times throwing him off the building.

And I don't get why? He was not inconvenienced by Ishida. He's not some fucking white knight that's trying to give Ishida payback. Ishida didn't even try to throw him under the bus like he did to Nao and Kawai so he has no reason for it.

But ok, let's say Ishida did deserve the bullying after the Shouko incident (maybe ostracized, don't know about the murder part). This Shimada scumbag made sure to spread rumours and shit about Ishida in Middle School and High School.

All the while he had the smug look on his face. He didn't even try and reflect on his actions like Ishida did.

Nao and Kawai joined in the bullying of Ishida too but as we can see, they were afraid of Shimada and partially because Nao thought Ishida liked Shouko and was jealous (Shouko was cleaning his desk, though Ishida was bullying the girl he liked) so she might've been jealous. Although in the end, at least both of them kinda reflected on their actions (Kawai getting a a taste of what it was like to be targeted in class). Still don't know why Kawai suddenly like Mashiba.

Severely disappointed that Shimada did not get any retribution for his violence.
Jul 28, 2023 1:22 AM
Oct 2020
sometimes reality is often disappointing. Not everything in the world is fair and I think shimadas treatment in the story was to represent that.
Jul 28, 2023 1:26 AM

Feb 2022
I can't stand shimada as well. but reality is often disappointing
Jul 28, 2023 1:33 AM
Feb 2022
well you cant have both but yea you are right
Jul 28, 2023 2:13 AM
Sep 2021
Worst out of all was Kawaii
Jul 28, 2023 2:43 AM
Jul 2020
didn't shimada and his goon fat friend essentially save ishida after the fall?

they picked him out of water and called an ambulance and stuff?
Jul 28, 2023 2:44 AM
Jul 2020
WiskleGEX said:

kawai was doing everything out of jealousy

it was neither spite nor her nature to do such things.

she is actually the first girl after shouko's childhood friend to actually start being genuine friends with shouko
Jul 28, 2023 4:03 AM
Mar 2022
https://myanimelist.net/character/97579/Kazuki_Shimada

read the spoiler part full

Wake up to reality! Nothing ever goes as planned in this accursed world.The longer you live, the more you realize that the only things that truly exist in this reality are merely pain, suffering and futility.Everywhere you look in this world,wherever there is light, there will always be shadows to be found as well.As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will also exist.The selfish intent of wanting to preserve peace, initiates war and hatred is born in order to protect love.
Jul 28, 2023 6:42 AM
Sep 2021
WiskleGEX said:

What a shit she was
Jul 28, 2023 9:56 AM
Aug 2022
WiskleGEX said:

That is so true...
Jul 28, 2023 10:15 AM
Apr 2015
is he trash? FUCK NO.

he was a kid in Japan. this is the time in his life when he (and all the rest of his class) is gonna get fucked up by their society in all kinds of ways.

is he dumb? yes. but he was a kid. it felt like a roll of the dice for who was gonna get blamed at the beginning of the movie. personally I blame the teacher for not explaining things to the class. it certainly seems like Japanese teachers are fundamentally a lot lazier than everything American teachers have to deal with.
AnimorphimagiJul 28, 2023 10:19 AM
Jul 28, 2023 11:58 AM
May 2023
i think him being punished would not fit the themes of this story, a big part of Koe No Katachi is forgiveness. by your logic Shoya deserved all the bullying he faced after Shoko left too. this story is not about punishment, it's about forgiving oneself and others over past mistakes. something that is often overlooked when making these statements is that everyone was still really small when it happened and that the adults are just as responsible for everything that happened, someone should have stepped in, but nobody did. imo the real villain of this story is the teacher, who in the manga (i recommend everyone read the manga if you haven't btw, it is so much better than the movie, the movie cut a lot and i mean A LOT of really important moments from the manga and that resulted in worse pacing, plot holes and little to none characterization for the side characters) not only secretly agrees with Shoko being bullied as revealed in a conversation with Shoya, but also did nothing aside from calling Shoya out for going too far on a few occasions and then proceeded to bully Shoya too after Shoko left too and years later he does not feel sorry in the slightest for any of it and even blames Shoko and tries to justify him ignoring the bullying she was facing, not to mention his inability to adapt his teaching methods and way of approaching the class to Shoko's (a disabled kid) needs shows clear incompetence and ignorance.

in both the movie and the manga in the present Shimada avoids facing Shoya and i would say it is not out of hatred and more out of guilt, regret and fear despite what it may appear on the surface (this is just my speculation though) and to me it is apparent he still cares about him and felt sorry, as seen in him and Hirose saving him after he almost died when he saved Shoko. not to mention in the manga when everyone is making a movie, he helps them with the music, even though he never directly made contact with them. and when he first sees Shoya at the amusement park he was smiling. all of these contradictions could imply he still cares for Shoya and is just avoiding him out of fear and because being honest... not everyone is like Shoko and would be willing to befriend or talk to their former bullies so thinking he is better off keeping his distance from him is not an out there assumption to make, overall... while maybe you could interpret his character as mean still in the present, he did not actually pick on Shoya in the present, and his bullying of him happened when they were still kids, it's in the past, it does not define who he is today, just like how Shoya changed and was able to come to regret his past actions and become a better person from them.

in my personal opinion people should not be punished over their past mistakes if they are genuinely trying to do better now, and even if others do not forgive you, it does not mean you are still a terrible person. i think this is also what Koe No Katachi is about, and you could argue it applies here even more considering they were all kids when it all happened and a big part of the reason why they kept bullying Shoko and then Shoya was because of the teacher allowing them to keep doing it and him and the other adults not knowing how to integrate Shoko into the class and not teaching kids how to interact with her. kids are stupid, they do not understand right and wrong fully yet and unless it is explicitly made clear to them something is wrong in a way they can understand then they will keep doing it, specially if the environment encourages it. this can apply to Shimada too, in the manga i would say there are enough things that can imply his parents were the ones that encouraged his treatment of Shoya after Shoko left or that at least him listening to his parents was what led him to think he should bully him, these are all theories but because of how we have seen earlier in the manga that Shimada's parents get upset when he skips cram school and between that and the fact he played the piano for the choir competition we can assume his parents are starting to focus on his education and future, something very common in japan, and this mindset would of course lead them to label Shoya as a bad influence and once they found out about something like what they did to Shoko they would want him to distance himself from Shoya and would have placed all the blame on him.

not everything is black and white, especially when we are talking about kids and mistakes they made in the past. i personally dislike Shimada as well but i do not think anyone deserves punishment except the adults who have not changed.
hr22092001Jul 28, 2023 12:03 PM
Jul 28, 2023 12:14 PM
Sep 2021
WiskleGEX said:

Thank you. She was the one that I came out of this series being like, “🙄.” In the manga, each character had a chapter to themselves for reflection after the big incident (trying to keep as simple as possible so I don’t spoil anything.) She didn’t learn anything from her reflection chapter. She just acts like she never did anything wrong. She never realizes that she was also in the wrong during the elementary school stuff. You literally ditched her because you were embarrassed to be friends with her, and watched everyone pick on her. You might have said, “hey guys, this might be a good idea,” but other than that, you say there and watched everything unfold. You didn’t defend her at all. She just acts like she was some good person and is above Ishida. She just throws everything at Ishida and acts like she’s all Holy. Yes, Ishida did the most trauma, but you only played nice until you realized people were giving you side eyes for being friends with Shouko. Her “turn around point” was her realizing to be more empathetic towards others, since she was still mean to Ishida for all the Shouko stuff, even after he tried to make amends. That is good to do, but you aren’t facing the real big problem. You aren’t innocent in the whole Shouko ordeal. You are not as good as a person as you think you are. Your hands aren’t clean here either.
Benabba11Jul 28, 2023 12:33 PM
Jul 28, 2023 7:30 PM
Apr 2022
whatever!
the ending was beautiful 💝💝💝💝
Be happy with it!
Jul 28, 2023 10:36 PM
Jan 2023
I only watched the movie so maybe it was cut like the movie sub plot but when did he try and kill him?
Jul 28, 2023 10:39 PM

Sep 2018
The movie was pretty realistic having the chic fall for the hot tall guy regardless of his bullying. Also, karma is fake news.
Jul 29, 2023 1:48 AM

Feb 2020
Makall said:
Yea so Ishida was a shitty guy in elementary school and bullied Shouko. Although looking at the first chapter, he did try and warn her a few times about "holding people back".

Regardless, he did at least try and redeem himself and even saved Shouko from her suicide (seems like his arm has been permanently disabled). And since we could read his though process, we at least have an understanding of why he did what he did.

But this Shimada fucker? He's like the worst scumbag in the series. Not only did he join in the bullying, he then bullied Ishida and tried to murder him a few times throwing him off the building.

And I don't get why? He was not inconvenienced by Ishida. He's not some fucking white knight that's trying to give Ishida payback. Ishida didn't even try to throw him under the bus like he did to Nao and Kawai so he has no reason for it.

But ok, let's say Ishida did deserve the bullying after the Shouko incident (maybe ostracized, don't know about the murder part). This Shimada scumbag made sure to spread rumours and shit about Ishida in Middle School and High School.

All the while he had the smug look on his face. He didn't even try and reflect on his actions like Ishida did.

Nao and Kawai joined in the bullying of Ishida too but as we can see, they were afraid of Shimada and partially because Nao thought Ishida liked Shouko and was jealous (Shouko was cleaning his desk, though Ishida was bullying the girl he liked) so she might've been jealous. Although in the end, at least both of them kinda reflected on their actions (Kawai getting a a taste of what it was like to be targeted in class). Still don't know why Kawai suddenly like Mashiba.

Severely disappointed that Shimada did not get any retribution for his violence.

This movie is straight up offensive. The whole premise is badly presented and has no real context or answers whatsoever.

Jul 29, 2023 1:55 AM
Jun 2009
SATAN19 said:
didn't shimada and his goon fat friend essentially save ishida after the fall?

they picked him out of water and called an ambulance and stuff?
Yea only to pretend to be "good people" and then do it all over again the next week.
Jul 29, 2023 9:08 AM
Nov 2019
Makall said:

thats maximum effort fone right
Jul 31, 2023 5:16 PM
Dec 2020
he's one of them, so yea, he's a bad person
Aug 13, 2023 4:42 AM
Apr 2023
monke_guy said:
sometimes reality is often disappointing. Not everything in the world is fair and I think shimadas treatment in the story was to represent that.

Yes yes yes yes yes
Aug 14, 2023 8:59 AM

Dec 2021
Shelby07 said:
WiskleGEX said:

What a shit she was

Couldn’t have said it better myself. People say about how she developed as a character by the end, I just don’t get it. She was a bitch at the start, and an even bigger bitch by the end.
Aug 14, 2023 9:07 AM
Sep 2021
Rossco_90 said:
Shelby07 said:

What a shit she was

Couldn’t have said it better myself. People say about how she developed as a character by the end, I just don’t get it. She was a bitch at the start, and an even bigger bitch by the end.

I respect you bruh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

716 by nnnairda »»
Jul 22, 2:58 AM

Poll: » Will you call it a romance ?

Khushal_v - May 24, 2023

33 by nirererin »»
Jul 12, 11:56 PM

» Life lesson

Thecrot - Jun 6

17 by Nikatto »»
Jun 15, 10:14 AM

» What are some differences between the original manga and the movie?

AoiroBlueColor - Aug 27, 2023

14 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Should Koe no Katachi get a reboot as a TV series

HyperBrid - May 22, 2017

47 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.