Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2023 1:36 PM
Dec 2017
I don't understand why these shows always have low budget creations, I really like the story of the manga, but the anime transposition is really bad, and it's not the first time it's happened, other examples are Darwin s game and Talentless Nana. Why studios always want to put so little effort into these works ?
Apr 29, 2023 2:01 PM
Dec 2022
Read the manga after hide n seek game it’s better
Apr 29, 2023 2:15 PM
Feb 2022
i think it Will be good one day
Apr 29, 2023 2:19 PM

Jun 2021
Producers are responsible for this. They assumed TG could be handled by a third-rate studio. Even though some anime onlys enjoyed the adaptation, it is undeniable that anime is far inferior to manga.

It's nothing new in fact, examples like Tokyo Ghoul, Classroom of the Elite, and Promised Neverland have demonstrated this before. It's really a shame that, in the hands of some top companies like Madhouse, MAPPA, Wit, or Production I.G this could have been the second coming of Death Note. Of course, staff is crucial too they should choose experienced staff members who are familiar with psychological, suspense, or mind-game anime.
I could continue my diatribe, but it's meaningless because it's a lost cause unless it's chosen to remake the anime, which is either impossible or very unlikely.

I saw Nana and Darwin's Game too, and I thought they were much better made and directed than TG.
I'm not sure why you're unhappy with them.
Bard_ErenApr 29, 2023 2:24 PM
Remember what Master Oogway told us:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Apr 29, 2023 4:22 PM
Jan 2021
I didn’t think it was that bad. It’s not really an action anime, so it doesn’t have to be eye candy.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 29, 2023 5:12 PM
Mar 2021
Leon888 said:
I don't understand why these shows always have low budget creations, I really like the story of the manga, but the anime transposition is really bad, and it's not the first time it's happened, other examples are Darwin s game and Talentless Nana. Why studios always want to put so little effort into these works ?

budget was fine for this show its not some top class story or writing
Apr 29, 2023 5:53 PM
Feb 2017
truth999 said:
Leon888 said:

budget was fine for this show its not some top class story or writing

If you’ve read the manga you have to be trolling, the story is really amazing, so don’t make assumptions on the story from just watching the anime
Apr 29, 2023 9:24 PM
Oct 2020
I am an anime only, and I personally really liked this show, and thought it was one of the better shows to come out last year
Apr 29, 2023 9:31 PM
Apr 2021
I honestly thought the anime was well done, yes the art in the manga and the panels were better in a lot of the scenes but other than that, it seemed fine. If we ever do get a season 2 i think they will also improve the quality since i think the first season was like a test to see if people would enjoy it. We shall see
Apr 30, 2023 12:01 AM
Nov 2022
Leon888 said:

They literally forced in a gay scene as a plot and it was one of the worst plot’s i’ve ever seen. Do you think it deserves a better budget?

Other then that. It does seem like something i would stick around with. The low budget just feels home with the wonky but yet the kind of genre i like.
Buny0058Apr 30, 2023 12:05 AM
Apr 30, 2023 1:33 AM

Jun 2021
RopeBuny said:
Leon888 said:

They literally forced in a gay scene as a plot and it was one of the worst plot’s i’ve ever seen. Do you think it deserves a better budget?

Other then that. It does seem like something i would stick around with. The low budget just feels home with the wonky but yet the kind of genre i like.

It hurts to admit that the kiss scene was poorly executed, but it is well explained why that had taken place. It was rapidly forgotten after hearing its explanation that it was just done for the sake of the plot, dubbed plot device. It's the only situation like that in the entire story, and nothing like it happens in later arcs.
Besides, the anime only covered the weakest arcs, the ones after Friend's Sin Trial, where TG truly excel. If you enjoyed the anime in the least, you should without a doubt read the manga.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Apr 30, 2023 1:52 AM

Jun 2021
official_brown said:
I didn’t think it was that bad. It’s not really an action anime, so it doesn’t have to be eye candy.

I disagree, it's one of the anime adaptations that had to be eye candy if you read the manga, you'd get it. The facial expressions in the manga are stunning. I'm sure even the most skilled and recognized studios would struggle to animate them. Just because it isn't action-packed doesn't mean it shouldn't be animated by a top studio.

Apr 30, 2023 4:41 AM
Dec 2017
King_Javon said:
Read the manga after hide n seek game it’s better
I read the manga, it's the prison arc is fire
Apr 30, 2023 4:43 AM
Dec 2017
Bard_Eren said:
Producers are responsible for this. They assumed TG could be handled by a third-rate studio. Even though some anime onlys enjoyed the adaptation, it is undeniable that anime is far inferior to manga.

It's nothing new in fact, examples like Tokyo Ghoul, Classroom of the Elite, and Promised Neverland have demonstrated this before. It's really a shame that, in the hands of some top companies like Madhouse, MAPPA, Wit, or Production I.G this could have been the second coming of Death Note. Of course, staff is crucial too they should choose experienced staff members who are familiar with psychological, suspense, or mind-game anime.
I could continue my diatribe, but it's meaningless because it's a lost cause unless it's chosen to remake the anime, which is either impossible or very unlikely.

I saw Nana and Darwin's Game too, and I thought they were much better made and directed than TG.
I'm not sure why you're unhappy with them.
i wouldn't compare, Tomodachi game to Tokyo ghoul or the promised neverland, they were made differently. However, I am not satisfied with Nana and Darwin s game because they had aberrant animations, as well as a very bad character design.
Apr 30, 2023 4:46 AM
Dec 2017
official_brown said:
just because it's not an action anime it still hurts to see still images all the time, the only animated thing was manabu, just because it was cgi
Apr 30, 2023 4:47 AM
Dec 2017
CrunchyCrobat said:
I am an anime only, and I personally really liked this show, and thought it was one of the better shows to come out last year
just because the story was done well, but the animation was really bad, a continuous powerpoint
Apr 30, 2023 4:49 AM
Dec 2017
joruto16 said:
I honestly thought the anime was well done, yes the art in the manga and the panels were better in a lot of the scenes but other than that, it seemed fine. If we ever do get a season 2 i think they will also improve the quality since i think the first season was like a test to see if people would enjoy it. We shall see
it is not said, because as tokyo revengers it had success with the 1 season, but the animations in the 2 season were still poor. Also, I don't think this show will have a 2 season
Apr 30, 2023 4:51 AM
Dec 2017
Bard_Eren said:
official_brown said:

I disagree, it's one of the anime adaptations that had to be eye candy if you read the manga, you'd get it. The facial expressions in the manga are stunning. I'm sure even the most skilled and recognized studios would struggle to animate them. Just because it isn't action-packed doesn't mean it shouldn't be animated by a top studio.
I agree with everything you said, this manga should have been animated by Kyotoanimation, a masterpiece would have come out
Apr 30, 2023 6:43 AM
Nov 2022
Bard_Eren said:
RopeBuny said:

It hurts to admit that the kiss scene was poorly executed, but it is well explained why that had taken place. It was rapidly forgotten after hearing its explanation that it was just done for the sake of the plot, dubbed plot device. It's the only situation like that in the entire story, and nothing like it happens in later arcs.
Besides, the anime only covered the weakest arcs, the ones after Friend's Sin Trial, where TG truly excel. If you enjoyed the anime in the least, you should without a doubt read the manga.

I understand. The adaptation just did it poorly.
Apr 30, 2023 9:03 AM
Apr 2022
I definitely think this story deserved a better quality adaptation overall but I still enjoyed the series.
Apr 30, 2023 9:31 AM
Mar 2022
I watched the anime first and I really enjoyed it, I then read the manga and was blown away, it definitely deserved a better adaption. I agree with Brad_Eren this could have been a 
second coming of Death Note

Apr 30, 2023 8:43 PM
Jan 2022
It’s not really too bad. I mean the art is better than the usual, so that’s something
May 1, 2023 12:10 AM
Jun 2021
haven't read the manga but can you tell me what was different
May 1, 2023 1:14 AM
Jan 2022
Leon888 said:

it's not really low budget, it just this kind of anime run more on dialogue rather than animation naturally. usually we call anime low budget because it could have better animation, while this kind of anime doesn't really need much animation to begin with.

it probably could have better art, but if it divert to much from original work people would hate it also, so better stick with original work.

and lastly because this type of genre run really well in manga because as mentioned before its relying more on text/dialogue, so the anime would be heavy on dialogue and become boring. and the rules or game progression is better translated in manga because we could just re read it. and people usually don't like to rewind anime, especially if you watch it on TV. So when people miss a thing or don't understand, they kinda just go through it without much understanding.
Usual_VermicelliMay 1, 2023 1:19 AM
May 1, 2023 2:08 AM

Jun 2021
Usual_Vermicelli said:
Leon888 said:

it's not really low budget, it just this kind of anime run more on dialogue rather than animation naturally. usually we call anime low budget because it could have better animation, while this kind of anime doesn't really need much animation to begin with.

it probably could have better art, but if it divert to much from original work people would hate it also, so better stick with original work.

and lastly because this type of genre run really well in manga because as mentioned before its relying more on text/dialogue, so the anime would be heavy on dialogue and become boring. and the rules or game progression is better translated in manga because we could just re read it. and people usually don't like to rewind anime, especially if you watch it on TV. So when people miss a thing or don't understand, they kinda just go through it without much understanding.

While you make valid points, such as how this type of story works better in manga format, I'm always wondering what would happen if this was carried out by a better studio.
The animation was poor (some characters looked like a mess), and the pace of the show was a nightmare; there was rarely a break, and the pacing was on drugs. (I wouldn't mind if the anime was little changed, tweaked to make a better adaptation in this area)
That's a critical mistake in a story like this, where suspense is essential. All of this has had a major effect on the anime vibe.
This, in my view, is all the more reason why this should have been handled by a far more capable studio.

May 1, 2023 5:05 AM
Jan 2022
Bard_Eren said:
Usual_Vermicelli said:

While you make valid points, such as how this type of story works better in manga format, I'm always wondering what would happen if this was carried out by a better studio.
The animation was poor (some characters looked like a mess), and the pace of the show was a nightmare; there was rarely a break, and the pacing was on drugs. (I wouldn't mind if the anime was little changed, tweaked to make a better adaptation in this area)
That's a critical mistake in a story like this, where suspense is essential. All of this has had a major effect on the anime vibe.
This, in my view, is all the more reason why this should have been handled by a far more capable studio.

yeah, top studios would definitely work on something to make this anime better.

But there another approach to this, that, it's not that the producer doesn't want for good studios to handle it, but the studios itself don't want to take the project, assuming they have better options to take. Because even though they handle this anime, there's not much they could do. And it would risk their reputation as well.
May 1, 2023 5:31 AM

Jun 2021
Usual_Vermicelli said:
Bard_Eren said:

yeah, top studios would definitely work on something to make this anime better.

But there another approach to this, that, it's not that the producer doesn't want for good studios to handle it, but the studios itself don't want to take the project, assuming they have better options to take. Because even though they handle this anime, there's not much they could do. And it would risk their reputation as well.

You're correct.We don't know what happened behind the scenes, perhaps, as you mentioned, producers offered other studios to animate TG, which they may have refused, and if that's the case, it's sad that they either didn't see the potential TG had or had other motives to refuse. In cases like this, I always desire to be able to change things. I wish I were in charge of a studio or producer so that these hidden gems wouldn't stay unrecognized and got the justice they deserved.There have been many wasted/missed opportunities in the history of anime, and TG is unluckily one of them.

More topics from this board

» Enough source material for S2 ?

lightning_angad7 - Jun 14

15 by GranulKahve »»
Jun 16, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Tomodachi Game Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - May 3, 2022

138 by JamesYukiNoriaki »»
Jun 12, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Tomodachi Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jun 21, 2022

222 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 7, 10:30 PM

Poll: » Tomodachi Game Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 7, 2022

140 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 7, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Tomodachi Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Apr 26, 2022

136 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 5, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.