Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 16, 2023 1:01 PM

May 2018
I'm watching Fruits Basket and there's something I don't understand, why people say they're team Kyou and generally prefer him over Yuki (even if you look at the number of favs) while Kyou is clearly aggressive, abusive and even toxic towards Tohru, hence he even hits her once, not to mention how sometimes he just humiliates her because why not. Meanwhile Yuki is gentle, caring and much more comprehensive as a guy, so I'm a bit surprised about this situation. I understand that Kyou is probably traumatized by his past or whatever, not sure how much tho, but Yuki is no different (he was clearly abused by Akito as far as I understand) and he's not a complete dick. Anyway, tell me your thoughts.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2023 1:14 PM

Jul 2022
Sachyan said:
I'm watching Fruits Basket and there's something I don't understand, why people say they're team Kyou and generally prefer him over Yuki (even if you look at the number of favs) while Kyou is clearly aggressive, abusive and even toxic towards Tohru, hence he even hits her once, not to mention how sometimes he just humiliates her because why not. Meanwhile Yuki is gentle, caring and much more comprehensive as a guy, so I'm a bit surprised about this situation. I understand that Kyou is probably traumatized by his past or whatever, not sure how much tho, but Yuki is no different (he was clearly abused by Akito as far as I understand) and he's not a complete dick. Anyway, tell me your thoughts.

Better watching the entire show before making a thread asking this ngl
Apr 16, 2023 1:15 PM

Dec 2020
People like Kyou more because he has character development and gets much better in the next two season

Apr 16, 2023 1:15 PM
Trash

Jul 2015
You’ll learn why as you get farther into the series.
Apr 16, 2023 1:17 PM

May 2018
MKIkawa said:
Sachyan said:

Well there's one episode left for 1st season and I'm still considering if I'll continue the series or not.

Apr 16, 2023 1:17 PM

Jun 2014
I mean, without spoiling anything Kyo has major reasons for how he acts and you find out more about their respective backstories and I would say Kyo's is more central to Tohru's development throughout the series.
Apr 16, 2023 1:21 PM

Jul 2022
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

Well there's one episode left for 1st season and I'm still considering if I'll continue the series or not.

If you like it, just continue. If not, just stop watching, but you can't say things like that without watching until the end. I mean, you can, It's just not rocommended since you haven't seen everything from the characters.
Apr 16, 2023 1:23 PM

May 2018
MKIkawa said:
Sachyan said:

If you like it, just continue. If not, just stop watching, but you can't say things like that without watching until the end. I mean, you can, It's just not rocommended since you haven't seen everything from the characters.

I'm just asking a question, this has nothing to do with what I think about it, or if I like it or not, you can answer by stating specific facts about each one of the characters. It's a very objective question.

Apr 16, 2023 1:31 PM

Jun 2021

That’s why Yuki is out of the running, but I do understand that Kyo can be a pain in the ass. The reason people love him though is the same reason men love characters like Mai Sakurajima and Taiga from Toradora: people love a tsundere.
Apr 16, 2023 1:33 PM

Jun 2021
Oh also whether you continue or not is totally up to you. Personally, I love the show but Kyo only gets worse before he gets better. If you already don’t like him you honestly might not be able to get through it.

No judgement at all that’s just my two sense
Apr 16, 2023 1:33 PM
Oct 2021
Since kyo is rejected by all the other zodiacs and considered as a monster who know one should approche, the viewers can more easily empathize
Apr 16, 2023 1:35 PM

Nov 2021
First just finish the entire show and then if you still feel like this then ... who cares man it's your choice if you like him or not

personally it's my favourite show and I really LOVE Kyo but we're all different beings ...
Apr 16, 2023 1:38 PM

Oct 2012
Troubled guys always make better characters. I wrote fiction with two perfect gentlemen and a broken bad boy and guess who was everyone's favorite? Guess girls like the whole "I'll try to fix you" cliche.
I'm no different. I married a gentleman, ofc, which I advise, but I like my characters in various shades. Yuki is tasteless, even girly, while our boy is rough around the edges and acts like that to keep Tohru away, his twisted way of protecting her. But he also wants her close, hence the push and pull.
It's all about fantasy, not logic.
[ Insert signature here ]
Apr 16, 2023 1:47 PM
Nov 2021
Orange Supremacy
Apr 16, 2023 1:49 PM
May 2022
watch the whole series with the movie and you'll understand
Apr 16, 2023 1:52 PM

Nov 2020
manabe better then both and yuki is better written then kyou but kyou was more fun to watch.

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Apr 16, 2023 2:00 PM

May 2018
Manga-Mike said:
I mean, without spoiling anything Kyo has major reasons for how he acts and you find out more about their respective backstories and I would say Kyo's is more central to Tohru's development throughout the series.

Well, I guess I'll have to see then.

HaylenGrey said:

That’s why Yuki is out of the running, but I do understand that Kyo can be a pain in the ass. The reason people love him though is the same reason men love characters like Mai Sakurajima and Taiga from Toradora: people love a tsundere.

Well makes sense, honestly so far I'm not shipping Tohru with anyone lmao.

dohani said:
Troubled guys always make better characters. I wrote fiction with two perfect gentlemen and a broken bad boy and guess who was everyone's favorite? Guess girls like the whole "I'll try to fix you" cliche.
I'm no different. I married a gentleman, ofc, which I advise, but I like my characters in various shades. Yuki is tasteless, even girly, while our boy is rough around the edges and acts like that to keep Tohru away, his twisted way of protecting her. But he also wants her close, hence the push and pull.
It's all about fantasy, not logic.

That's true, I'm not particularly fond of the cliche irl but Kyou does receive more attention and depth, Yuki is clearly just there for the most part and Kyou has a much more stronger presence. That being said, I guess I was kinda upset when he hit Tohru, I found that kinda hard to deal ngl.
GuidSMRApr 16, 2023 2:15 PM

Apr 16, 2023 2:01 PM
Jan 2021
Kyou is best boy plain and simple, if you don’t care for spoilers I can easily explain why Kyou is the better character development wise and had the worse trauma out of all the characters.(my suggestion watch the whole show and you'll know soon enough)
Apr 16, 2023 2:10 PM

Sep 2022
Sachyan said:

Have u watched Season 2 and especially Season 3, in season 3 Kyuo will tell her about his past connection with Her mother. That will make u understand better.
Apr 16, 2023 2:14 PM

Sep 2022
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

I don't know if I can convince you to watch but, s1 <<< s2 <<<<<<<<<<<<< S3
Apr 16, 2023 2:29 PM
Jul 2020
Well, throughout the anime I actually prefer Yuki over Kyou. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and everyone has their own taste.
Apr 16, 2023 2:31 PM
Aug 2022
Good character development and just more likable in general, you will see as you watch more though.
Apr 16, 2023 2:36 PM
Feb 2021
I agree. Kyous character doesn't get better. Yuki is fantastic and I am on team Yuki all the way. An abuser will always be an abuser.
Apr 16, 2023 3:02 PM
Dec 2022
did you watch the show with your eyes closed?
Apr 16, 2023 3:06 PM
Mar 2016
kyo is definately the best, you'll understand more as you continue watching, if the end of season 1 doesn't convert you you'll definately be there by the very end trust me 🐱
Apr 16, 2023 4:25 PM
Feb 2021
Yuki is boring and unfair to Kyou
Apr 16, 2023 4:28 PM
Feb 2021
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

Season 2 is perfect. Give it a try
Apr 16, 2023 4:52 PM
Apr 2021
Dude once u finish S3 come back and tell us how u fell for kyou 😉
Apr 16, 2023 5:29 PM
Dec 2019
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

It gets better. First season feels incredibly slow.
Apr 16, 2023 5:45 PM
Jul 2022
Sachyan said:

OK in my opinion, I hated kyo at first but then he really grew on me as a character in his character development ended up being really really good. I don’t know if you finished it or not so I’m not gonna spoil but his character development is what made me like him and tohru way more than her and Yuki. Plus ever hear the saying opposites attract, yuki and tohru were kind of similar. Plus the beginning of the anime there’s a lot of hints leading to how they’re better.
Apr 16, 2023 6:10 PM
Feb 2021
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

I'm just asking a question, this has nothing to do with what I think about it, or if I like it or not, you can answer by stating specific facts about each one of the characters. It's a very objective question.

I think the point they are making is that your asking why people prefer certain characters without watching the full show so you won’t understand the characters you are asking about. You are only getting the first impressions of the characters without their full character arcs taking place, some characters take longer to be fleshed out and fully understood, same with Yuki
Apr 16, 2023 6:50 PM
Feb 2021
you know sad background story and the generic heroine consoling him troupe

it's a generic rom story !
Apr 16, 2023 7:53 PM
Jul 2022
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

I would continue. Fruits Basket IMO isn't just one of the best romance animes it's probably one of the best animes in general. Kyo has really good character development and in later eps it'll go more in depth into why he is the way he is.
Apr 16, 2023 8:21 PM

May 2020
Maybe you should finish the anime and let his character development speak for itself.
Apr 16, 2023 8:37 PM

Apr 2022
Kyo is a better fit for Tohru because Yuki simps for her.

Yuki grows out of this by the end.
Apr 16, 2023 8:50 PM

Apr 2022
ScionOfCyan said:
Kyo is a better fit for Tohru because Yuki simps for her.

Yuki grows out of this by the end.
And I'm not saying it's a character flaw that Yuki did this. Actually, it's totally understandable. Akito fills his ears with poison about everyone inevitably hating him, and when Tohru reveals those to be lies, and that there do exist people who will accept him, Yuki pedestalizes her. She's pretty much the first person to ever do that after all.

Pedestalizing a girl makes you much less attractive to her than doing what Kyo does. Which is treat her alternately with disregard and occasional contempt (but we realize that he puts her down while still hoping for the good for her, which allays our anxieties about him). And only sparing moments of affection. Finding this more attractive is the way girls work.
Apr 16, 2023 9:11 PM
Jan 2023
I hope you don't get spoiled cuz made a thread over this before finishing the show. As for why people prefer Kyo. U'll understand as you watch more of this show.
Apr 16, 2023 9:14 PM
Jan 2023
bezardo said:
you know sad background story and the generic heroine consoling him troupe

it's a generic rom story !

Fruits basket is far from generic.
Apr 16, 2023 11:44 PM
Feb 2022
Sachyan said:
MKIkawa said:

i also liked yuki better at the beginning and remember thinking this exactly. the next two seasons develop in a way that’s less about choosing which team is better. i definitely recommend watching the rest as it only gets better :•)
Apr 17, 2023 12:01 AM
Apr 2023
I suggest you finish the whole show before assuming kyo is toxic, every character dealt with their trauma differently so yuki and kyo will not be the same in handling their trauma. I understand yuki is more gentle and caring as a person for a first impression and kyo the complete opposite but if you watch the rest of the show i am sure you will understand why the majority is team kyo and not team yuki~ 
sakuraabloomApr 17, 2023 12:06 AM
/)  /)  ~ ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
( •-• )  ~ ♡ You are amazing ♡
/づづ ~ ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛   
Apr 17, 2023 4:10 AM

Oct 2012
Sachyan said:
That's true, I'm not particularly fond of the cliche irl but Kyou does receive more attention and depth, Yuki is clearly just there for the most part and Kyou has a much more stronger presence. That being said, I guess I was kinda upset when he hit Tohru, I found that kinda hard to deal ngl.

That was indeed too much, a desperate attempt to make her stay away from him, as I said. Yuki always felt a lot more like family to her than anything else, imo. But as people are saying, you should finish the whole show and then review your perspective. Perhaps it'll make more sense then. ^-^
Apr 17, 2023 4:18 AM

Oct 2012
Oh, Sachyan, definitely watch the whole show. Fruits Basket is special. 💕
Also, have you watched Horimiya? I believe you might like it.

Apr 17, 2023 5:02 AM
Jan 2022
tbh, I don't get why tohru would like either of them..
just accepted it with this reasoning: love is love
Apr 17, 2023 5:09 AM
Jan 2023
Sachyan said:

You should really complete the whole thing before asking. If you did you wouldn't be asking this.
Apr 17, 2023 5:16 AM
Sep 2022
I assume that you’ve just started the series. Keep watching. It may look that way now, but he has a TON of character development throughout the series. Also, there’s a pretty valid reason for his aggression towards…well, everyone basically. Just keep watching, he gets better.
Apr 17, 2023 5:39 AM
Aug 2016
Give the 3 season rule. Watch it
Apr 17, 2023 6:27 AM
Feb 2021
Totally understand where you are coming from felt the same initially but just keep watching 🙂
Apr 17, 2023 2:11 PM
Sep 2021
Fruits Basket is my fav manga and anime of all time.
I have finished manga before started watching this remaked Fruit Basket. tbh I perfer Yuki both in manga and anime lol
I just don’t like Kyou personality, I prefer Yuki’s gentle and calm atmosphere. My friend also perfer Yuki.
Anyway Kyou doesn’t that annoying or noisy to the point that I want to drop. Kyou air-time isn’t that much. So I think it’s OK if you continue this anime.
However it depends on your enjoyment, just watch what makes you feel happy.
Apr 17, 2023 5:37 PM
Nov 2018
I like better Yuki as character, but Kyou is the best for Tooru as romantic interest for me
Apr 17, 2023 8:02 PM

Mar 2013
Nah, I prefer Yuki than Kyou.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

193 by kerby08 »»
Jun 3, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2019

194 by Cam1922 »»
Jun 2, 8:52 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

120 by Inudrew »»
May 27, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2019

212 by contrastz »»
May 20, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2019

167 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 4:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.