Forum Settings
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 14, 2018 2:05 PM
Jun 2017
I understand that the light novel is the original and most likely goes a little more in depth, but I would prefer to just read the manga. If I wanted a light novel, I would probably just buy an actual novel instead, since the reason I enjoy manga is because it’s a quick read that conveys a plot that’s as deep as any regular novel. The only chance I’d choose the light novel is if it’s significantly better. So, what are the opinions out there?
Apr 14, 2018 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
If you want the best option go with the novels. Though at the very least the manga does do a pretty good job from memory.

Note that no matter which one you pick both are behind the anime. (Manga is just behind in general and the official english translation of the novel comes out very slowly)
Apr 15, 2018 1:01 AM

Mar 2010
LN will always be significantly better just because the Manga and Anime have to cut so much content out. The Web novel is currently fan translated past the anime though. The anime ends at Arc 3 and can be picked up on the Web Novel at Arc 4 - chapter 0. The web novel is currently fan translated up to Arc 5 chapter 38.

Web novel is original source material if you want to give it ago.
Oct 30, 2018 11:41 AM
Sep 2017
Sorry if this is stupid but I'm new to reading Manga on the Internet.
Is there a difference between the Web novel and the light novel? If that's the case then I can't find the light novel anywhere..
AssuGoburinOct 30, 2018 12:04 PM
Nov 5, 2018 10:46 AM
Feb 2018
I'd recommend straight out buying the light novels to support the authors
and since they are currently one volume behind it shouldn't too expensive.
But if you have seen the anime and would rather continue the story read a english translation
of the web novel currently the main author for the webnovel should be zerotranslations
but if the site doesnt work just P.M me I can give a link for all the chapters.
Nov 6, 2018 3:40 PM

Apr 2016
Andromedaxy said:
Sorry if this is stupid but I'm new to reading Manga on the Internet.
Is there a difference between the Web novel and the light novel? If that's the case then I can't find the light novel anywhere..

Re:Zero was originally released as a self-published online story on some website; that's what it means to be a Web Novel. Think of most fanfictions and how they're written and put up for free on certain sites, except that in this case Re:Zero is an actual story with a developed storyline and characters. Currently the web novel is suuuuuuper long and super far in the story, but there's generally two problems with the web novel:
1. from what i heard, it's detrimentally long, a lot of content, and also kinda sloppy(?)
2. it's all in Japanese. There's fantranslations, but they're super inconsistent in terms of who translates it and how much content gets translated. I've been staying away from all that and sticking to the Light Novels.

Now, a Light Novel is really just a novel, a regular ol' book. You can buy them on Amazon, e-book sites, and, if you're really lucky, at some bookstore that has Japanese content there. They're called Light Novels because they're about 250 pages long and pumped out in a set schedule. In Re:Zero's case, the english books are published every 4 months. This Light Novel series adapts content from the Web Novel, organizing and shuffling events into consistent stories. I think most people consider the LNs as the more canon version of the story.

As for the anime and manga, from what I understand both of those are adapted from the Light Novel instead of the Web Novel. So there's a bit of a double layer to the adaptations. If you want to read the Books or the Manga, Amazon and other websites offer them in english officially (I personally use the website BookWalker for e-book versions).
All hail the Almighty Funyarinpa!... Wait, what do you mean you don't know what it is?! How DARE you! SAY you're sorry!!! APOLOGIZE TO THE FUNYARINPA!
______________________________________________________________________________________
Feb 3, 2019 10:41 PM

Sep 2016
Just read the WN translations. Its the OG source of it all. LN? Manga? Anime? It all came from the Web Novel.

More topics from this board

» Favorite arc in Re:Zero?

IchbinIch-Anime - Oct 13, 2021

17 by Mdraj6996 »»
May 17, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Volume 28 Discussion

mozgow - Apr 19

0 by mozgow »»
Apr 19, 11:37 PM

» Best Re: Zero chapters across all arcs?

iGotIceInMyRice - Mar 12

7 by mohamedo_abuduru »»
Mar 26, 12:25 AM

Poll: » How do you rate Arc 7 so far (poll)

Danube123 - Jul 6, 2022

16 by MrResidentFox »»
Feb 20, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Chapter 20 Discussion

KelpRings - Jan 2

5 by iGotIceInMyRice »»
Jan 3, 10:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.