Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2012 12:23 AM

Sep 2010
"Introduce Yourself": Social Networking Experiences

Share your social networking experiences in various platforms.

This also serves as your introduction. No need for details about yourself (like you would usually impart in other clubs or forums)--that's what your profile's about section is for! ~,~'

2012-12-26T15:44:50+08:00
2013-01-26T10:26:11+08:00
weakwithwordsJan 25, 2013 6:27 PM
Naysayers almost effortlessly make the possible seem impossible since they usually just parrot generalized, oversimplified, or uninspired arguments. However, the proper, but significantly more difficult way to refute an idea is to discredit all major and most minor cases. In contrast, a single convincing solution can prove feasibility though it isn't a trivial pursuit either.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 26, 2012 12:23 AM

Sep 2010
2012-12-26T15:46:10+08:00

--- 1 ---

• bulletin board systems

I learned about BBSes in the mid-1990s. These were usually free services run by enthusiasts that allowed others to connect to their computers via modems. The "caller" would be able to read/write public/private messages, download/upload files, and play door games. This was in the DOS era so the interface was rendered in ASCII.

• mailing lists

Mailing lists allowed subject-oriented communities to grow. Group correspondence would normally be redundant-prone only using an e-mail's peer-to-peer carbon copy feature. The anime/manga fanfic mailing list was probably my initiation to the world of manga and later, anime.

• friendster

I was initially peeved at the website because it caused some fanatics to hog terminals while overeagerly waiting for "testimonials". I later joined, but the unease never truly left me. Day in and day out, strangers would invite me to be my "friends" even though we won't ever communicate so much or ever again and my profile would just be another icon to bloat their lists.

• myspace

I didn't get to use this much. Some trolling virus was making its rounds when I was still active. I got three or four real friends and a dozen bored strangers.

• facebook

The real name policy was a welcome freshness, but it eventually became too lax. I've stopped visiting when my profile finally turned into a "Timeline layout victim". Even now, people easily get fooled by the fallacy that "a friend of a friend is likely also your friend".

• google+

Circles--new terms for old. At least I don't have to read about someone's food farce, road traffic jams, or dissenting political and religious diatribes for the umpteenth time within the same day. In other words, not much redundant shares or spamming ... yet.

--- 0 ---

2012-12-26T16:22:21+08:00
Naysayers almost effortlessly make the possible seem impossible since they usually just parrot generalized, oversimplified, or uninspired arguments. However, the proper, but significantly more difficult way to refute an idea is to discredit all major and most minor cases. In contrast, a single convincing solution can prove feasibility though it isn't a trivial pursuit either.
Jan 4, 2013 2:20 AM

Oct 2008

• Bulletin board systems

I also started my computer life with a IBM Clone in the late 80's early 90's. I remember being so jealous that my friend, now brother in law, had a 28.8k modem. It was so fast back then. LoL We used to run our own BBS with three lines so people could play Trade Wars and chat. Eventually we became part of a larger BBS called Club BBS. I just Googled it and it appears that now it's a Spanish site? Back in the day I think they had a 100 phone lines hooked up to there house. Really is crazy to realize how far we've come.

• Netflix

My next computer online social blogging addiction wasn't really until 2006 when I joined Netflix. And yes it used to be a really great site that allowed you to make friends, write reviews, make lists, and a lot more social functions. I still talk with people I met there once upon a time.

• Ning From Netflix I began blogging a site called Movie Fans. At one time affiliated with Netflix as it's official blogsite. The site was actually a very informative place to interact with others about movies and even Anime, of which I created a group that lead to me eventually create my own network called NewTypeZone. NTZ lasted about two years until Ning decided that sexual material was had to go. Unfortunately, part of what made NTZ different was that it was an adult site geared towards more seinen and Josei titles along with a ton of Yaoi fangirls and Yuri/hentai fanboys. I tried to salvage the group and make it a great anime blog site, but unfortunately many of the core members became inactive. There was a new wave of members and Renaissance that kept me going for another year even after we had to start paying for bandwidth and hosting services. I had a lot very ambitious ideas that never really panned out, because I had a day job. I look back now and laugh at how much work I put into that network. In the end my ambition was not shared by the core members. I wanted to attempt to go legit and actually start publishing an online magazine like Yen Press, however I learned just how hard it is to find talented writers and programers willing to put time into a start-up for free. Basically I didn't have the write people and I looking back didn't posses the enough networking skills in the industry to make such an ambitious idea happen. Mostly I just wanted have an outlet to discuss anime with like minded pseudo intellectuals and intellectuals about anime.

• ANN / MAL

During being the primary administrator of NTZ, I was also pretty active on Anime News Network for a while. Much more than today. I don't remember when or who exactly introduced me to Myanimelist, but once I was introduced, I quickly found it to be an immensely useful site to log the anime I'd seen, verses more traditional methods like using a word-processing program. Before then I had also begun building a list on ANN but it's user interface wasn't as friendly or easy to use as MAL. I had been using AniDB for quite some time to find info, but was not all that thrilled with the idea of installing some of their software that was basically a worm that looked for all the anime on your computer. I think they might have changed that but since but it was too late. My list had been slaved over on MAL by then. Toward the end of NTZ is when I discovered the group here on MAL called Critics & Connoisseurs. It quickly became a place where I could challenge myself with other great intelligent anime viewers with more than just a completely subjective method of discussing anime. I've learned a lot in that group and my writing has become stronger for having been a part of it. Recently, I've been putting my years of Netflix addiction and Japanese film viewing to use as an administrator for Cinema of Japan group here on MAL. Just in the few months that I've been active in the club, I've learned so much more about Japanese Cinema. It really has been a great avenue for finding great Asian film.

• Myspace

I have one yes, really never put any work into it other than a poem. Like that you could create anonymous account names. Ultimately I enjoyed Ning a lot more and never really got into myspace.

• Facebook

A mistake and a blessing that I'm still unsure if I should keep contributing to, or erase my account and sue them for invasion of privacy. The only reason I'm really on Facebook now is to keep in contact with my international friends that I've made over the years. But lately it really has just become a photobucket for me. I actually had the thought the other day while looking at the timeline that people might literally be creating computer avatars of themselves and all there life experiences, much like a picture biography. In those terms it really seemed to have a lot more potential, but at the same time an chill ran down my spine when I realized how it could be used against you someday if you were actually honest. That's just the thing. No one would be honest, so this image begins to look extremely fake and fraudulent. And for some reason it just reminded me of the I vs. Me psychology. Face book. It became a bit scary to think that zuckerberg might have actually had this in mind all along. Facebook really is just a reflection of ones ego. It makes me dislike more and more.

There is more I'm sure including such places as Boxtorrents/BakaBt and the Internet Relay Chat on the Rizon network that I started around the same time as NTZ in 2008 lets say but I'll leave some of this info untold for now. However if you ever really want to talk with me, IRC and Skype would probably be the two forms of technology I use. Can't believe I just typed all this. LoL

Hope you enjoyed reading some of my internet evolution. I'm curious to read others too. Please forgive for typos right now. I will eventually clean them all out. I am a person who strongly practices the use of revision.

Cheerio for now. :)
Orion1Jan 4, 2013 2:25 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » (reserved)

weakwithwords - Dec 1, 2013

0 by weakwithwords »»
Dec 1, 2013 6:27 AM

Poll: » MISC: "What have you been doing and why are you doing it?" (Season 2)

weakwithwords - Mar 28, 2013

4 by weakwithwords »»
May 20, 2013 5:09 AM

» ARCHIVES

weakwithwords - Dec 17, 2012

3 by weakwithwords »»
Mar 26, 2013 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.