Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2012 2:59 PM

Jul 2010
This post was specifically prompted by a comment about her breasts being bigger in the anime than the manga. I propose that it is not the case so much as that the drawing of her changed in the manga, and was inconsistent, emphasizing her bust when the story demanded it and perhaps a bit of cutting corners in terms of drawing her more simply when her figure was not part of the story line.

Evidence:
Exhibit 1: Mikoto Urabe in Chapter 0, the one-shot that started it all:
[Manga images spammed by Manga Reader]
Notice how her hair is not really that wild, just over her eyes, and her body is very thin and face a bit more simple looking than what we are seeing in the manga and the anime:

Next, an image from chapter 20 of the manga:
Note that her breasts are considerably more evident there!

And now a picture from chapter 59:
Note that the breasts are very similar to the way they are drawn in the anime...

There are a few explanations for this.

1. She is developing in the manga - Perhaps as she ages from 16 to 17, her bust size increased?
2. In the manga, he generally drew the sailor outfits to cover the girl's figure more, with the exception of Oka, who always looks busty. This has the effect of emphasizing Oka's bust size. But when drawn in street clothes or swimsuits, he adds more bust to Urabe for impact. After all, Tsubaki doesn't see her dressed in anything other than her Uniform for weeks at a time, so when he sees her dressed in something tight and form-fitting, her curves are more pronounced and have more impact on him, thus the mangaka demonstrates that by making it more impact-full in the image.
3. The character design has changed over time. It is very common for the character design of a manga to shift over time. In general, an anime adaptation uses the mangaka's current iteration of the character design when they make the anime. For an excellent example of this, see the various incarnations of the anime Ah! My Goddess. The OVA was made in the early 1990s and has an extremely old school look. It is very similar to the first few chapters of the manga. The movie, made in the late 1990s/early 2000s has a slightly less old-school look and matches the manga of the time. The anime has an extremely modern look to the character designs, and matches the mid-first-decade-of-the-21st-century character models in the manga. The recent OADs have an even more modern look, with some of the characters significantly changed, such as Urd having a softer look, with fewer angles and more rounded curves to her face and figure. They match the most recent character designs from the manga, which I have read has been handed off to assistants to a large extent, which could account for these recent shifts in the design.

I think it is #3. He changed how he drew her in the manga, and the anime is following the current design standards.
zensunniJun 1, 2012 3:03 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 16, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
Incidentally, I think that the way Urabe is drawn in Tsubaki's dream in episode 2 is a little bustier than she is in other parts of the anime. I took that to be a wishful thinking/how the man sees the woman he loves kind of thing...
May 14, 2012 1:21 AM
Oct 2011
Ahahaha must've been all that daily drool that shes been letting out ;)
Mar 11, 2017 12:48 PM

Jul 2015
MGX_asian said:
Ahahaha must've been all that daily drool that shes been letting out ;)

lmao this guy knows what's up
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Why do u like Urabe?

MGX_asian - Oct 12, 2011

9 by Kazami »»
Sep 10, 2016 4:28 AM

» Holy shit there NEEDS to be a season 2 for anime im completely hooked to MGX again :(

MGX_asian - Jul 10, 2013

2 by Dexterspet »»
Oct 13, 2014 8:38 AM

» What is it that is so special about Urabe? (feel free to add your own reasons)

zensunni - Jun 1, 2012

0 by zensunni »»
Jun 1, 2012 3:07 PM

» What do you think will happen now that Tsubaki can't taste the love in Urabe's drool anymore?

MGX_asian - May 15, 2012

3 by zensunni »»
May 18, 2012 1:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.