Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2012 10:09 PM

Mar 2010
hi, i have a ton of mkv files and i want to trim them, but so far none of my programs work, so i downloaded VirtualDub and i finally got to trim my video, but the problem is that the 311mb file turned into a 14g avi file? i have Sony Vegas 11 and i have no clue what to do next...

so my question is:

how do i turn this 14g avi into a smaller video? it does not make sense that a 311mb file turns into a 14g file
Mar 2, 2012 11:40 PM

Sep 2011
Well I convert my MKV files with XviD4PSP 6.0 (Winnydows) and the file size is usually the same, or even smaller sometimes.
Mar 3, 2012 2:21 AM
Mar 2012
i use My Mp4box and MKVtoolnix(GUI) to convert mkv files to avi .
Mar 4, 2012 5:22 PM

Sep 2008
Well been a while for me, personally i converted to another format, but i believe YOUR problem is the encoder, you need it to be compressed in another format...AVI is actually just a type of extension SO what you need is to not have is go to AVI without compression...i would recommend mp4 since it auto compresses, or wmv ;D
Mar 4, 2012 6:59 PM
Jun 2009
I use Quick Media Converter to convert my mkv files, but not to avi, to wmv.
Mar 6, 2012 9:35 AM

May 2010
TheUnknownMerc said:
Well been a while for me, personally i converted to another format, but i believe YOUR problem is the encoder, you need it to be compressed in another format...AVI is actually just a type of extension SO what you need is to not have is go to AVI without compression...i would recommend mp4 since it auto compresses, or wmv ;D

Yes. Virtual Dub resaves the video in RAW AVI which is a huge format. You have to compress it. With AVI, download XVID, install it, then open the video in Virtual Dub, go to the video option, select compression, select XVID, and then change the quality from 1-10 (1 being the best).
Nov 10, 2020 7:23 PM
Oct 2020
Have you saved the original MKV file? I always use Joyoshare Media Cutter to trim videos easily, but I'm not sure whether it will work with a 14g video smoothly enough.
May 24, 12:25 PM
May 2024
Hi there! It sounds frustrating dealing with those large AVI files after trimming your MKV videos. VirtualDub can be a powerful tool, but it does have limitations when it comes to compression. Here are a couple of solutions you can explore:

Alternative Trimming Software: Consider trying software designed for editing and trimming MKV files without unnecessary size increases. Some free options include MKVToolNix or Avidemux. These programs allow trimming while maintaining the original MKV format and compression.

Re-encode the AVI with Sony Vegas: While Sony Vegas can't directly edit MKV files, you can use it to re-encode the large AVI into a smaller format. Here's how:

Open Sony Vegas and import your 14GB AVI file.
Once loaded, go to "File" -> "Render As".
Choose an output format suitable for web or sharing, like MP4 (H.264 codec) or WMV.
In the Render As window, you'll find options to adjust the video and audio quality settings. Choosing a lower bitrate will significantly reduce the file size but can also affect video quality. Experiment with different settings to find a good balance.

Bonus Tip:

If working with video editing software seems overwhelming, companies like Synergy Creations specialize in video editing and compression tasks. They can help you trim your MKV files and convert them to a smaller format while maintaining good quality.

This approach might save you time and frustration, especially if you have a large number of videos to process.
SynergyeditsMay 29, 5:09 AM

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

435 by JTRAnimeNewb »»
1 hour ago

» 【 ART THREAD 】Let's share our art! ‪‪❤︎‬

mewmewforever - Aug 30

31 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
4 hours ago

» dramas favoritos

O_Peres - 5 hours ago

0 by O_Peres »»
5 hours ago

» personagens femininos favoritos

O_Peres - 6 hours ago

0 by O_Peres »»
6 hours ago

» favorite characters

O_Peres - 6 hours ago

0 by O_Peres »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.