Forum Settings
Forums

Am I the only one not feeling any attachment to Sakura, making the whole movie less sad?

New
May 21, 4:11 PM
Mar 2024
I know the twist is supposed to be that sudden punch that even though we all knew she's going to die soon she dies even sooner, tragically even, just when she was happily leaving the hospital after 2 weeks, and just happy in general. But damn, that also made me somewhat less upset about her dying in the first place because she died about 1 hour into the movie.

Don't get me wrong, it was sad, especially the remaining 30 minutes of the movie after her death, but I just don't feel like the movie is long enough to get attached to the characters with the twist (which was really good on several levels tbh). Especially with the slow start they had, that makes this 1 hour even less significant. And I'm not saying she should've experienced more things with Haruki, the whole point of the twist is taking that away, what could've helped getting attached to the characters is more and deeper conversations, more of their thoughts and emotions at times.

I'm not familiar with the novel so idk if it's possible, but longer run time would've gone a long way to preserve the twist's importance but also let us get more attached to the characters and the story.
May 21, 4:57 PM
May 2024
griddyweeb said:
I know the twist is supposed to be that sudden punch that even though we all knew she's going to die soon she dies even sooner, tragically even, just when she was happily leaving the hospital after 2 weeks, and just happy in general. But damn, that also made me somewhat less upset about her dying in the first place because she died about 1 hour into the movie.

Don't get me wrong, it was sad, especially the remaining 30 minutes of the movie after her death, but I just don't feel like the movie is long enough to get attached to the characters with the twist (which was really good on several levels tbh). Especially with the slow start they had, that makes this 1 hour even less significant. And I'm not saying she should've experienced more things with Haruki, the whole point of the twist is taking that away, what could've helped getting attached to the characters is more and deeper conversations, more of their thoughts and emotions at times.

I'm not familiar with the novel so idk if it's possible, but longer run time would've gone a long way to preserve the twist's importance but also let us get more attached to the characters and the story.

Well ok the movie is supposed to start of slow so we could get attached to these characters in a more human way rather than just:
Hi can we be friends —-> two seconds later——->
I WANT YOU TO LIVE ALSO LET ME EAT YOUR PANCREAS

Also, It’s supposed to show how precious time can be not just with someone whos terminally ill but with everyone since you never really know how much time you have left with someone (Thats just an oversimplification of the movie tho)
GreenRPG4120May 21, 5:39 PM
May 21, 5:18 PM
Aug 2020
you're probably distracted while watching and the environment is not good or you just have some attachment issues
May 21, 5:38 PM
Jan 2024
Yea I agree, the movie didnt move me as much as I wish it did
May 21, 5:41 PM
Mar 2021
griddyweeb said:

I'm the same as you tbh. I don't think it's weird to not be that attached to the main girl and I believe that because the film just didn't give us enough to actually form that attachment.

To give an example of what I'm trying to say: I've watched the film of Demon Slayer: Mugen Train and I've watched the 8 episode version. Despite having already seen the movie at the time, I felt way more attached to Rengoku from the 8 episodes than I did the movie and it wasn't even close tbh.

I think when a story wants to form really deep emotional connections between its audience and its characters, it often NEEDS to do it over time or it just won't have the same effect. anyone who feels deeply attached after just 1 hour is likely someone with unmet emotional needs in real life, as harsh as that is to say.

Tldr: I'm with you. Most emotional films would have been better as a short series.
May 21, 5:54 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to egosumjkm
you're probably distracted while watching and the environment is not good or you just have some attachment issues
@egosumjohn wth man, I think I explained it pretty okay why I feel the way I feel, then you say I have adhd and attachment issues?
May 21, 5:57 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to GreenRPG4120
griddyweeb said:

Well ok the movie is supposed to start of slow so we could get attached to these characters in a more human way rather than just:
Hi can we be friends —-> two seconds later——->
I WANT YOU TO LIVE ALSO LET ME EAT YOUR PANCREAS

Also, It’s supposed to show how precious time can be not just with someone whos terminally ill but with everyone since you never really know how much time you have left with someone (Thats just an oversimplification of the movie tho)
@GreenRPG4120 I'm proposing the opposite, I'm not saying it should've been faster, I'm saying it should've been more detailed with longer running time. I'm saying this because I know why it's important to have the movie turn out as it did, for the same reason you listed, if they made the movie longer by adding more things from her bucket list it would've defeated its purpose to deliver the message
May 21, 6:02 PM
Jun 2020
yes, you are the only one
May 21, 6:05 PM

Aug 2018
I felt the same way too, but on my first watch.
May 21, 6:09 PM

Apr 2020
Yeah, I think so.

Cause the film meant to make you feel something by experiencing the relationship between her and Haruki. This sense of urgency, trying to live life, before it runs out.

Her tying to keep it "normal" and "happy", while knowing that she will die no matter what and sonn IS the thing that made it sad, I think.

Same thing with her just starting to get closer to a boy, knowing that time is already is running out - now that she started to really like him.
For me, that's what makes it sad. The lack of time and development, the what-could-have-been, if she wasn't terminally ill.
Merve2LoveMay 21, 6:14 PM
May 21, 7:13 PM
Nov 2022
griddyweeb said:

The novel is way more in depth than the live action and the anime, naturally. Because it's an hour and a half, they had to make a montage of them travelling together instead of actually showing the scenes of them during the trip, which I could understand why you wouldn't get that attached to Sakura. The novel showed those scenes and an extra scene after her passing with her best friend.
May 21, 10:15 PM
Dec 2022
Redaryan814 said:
yes, you are the only one

no , i am also there with him.
May 21, 11:29 PM
Feb 2021
Not sure what you’re talking about, the end was one of the most saddest sh*t which i have ever watched, couldn’t get this movie out of my head for atleast a week
May 21, 11:48 PM
Jul 2022
I think I kind of agree with you.

Even though I knew she was going to die and believed I wasn’t attached to her, I still felt sad after her death...
May 22, 12:16 AM
Apr 2023
this was the first anime i watched(aside from the ones on tv) . for a year i thought this was the best romcom shit ever. now 6years later i can say it's one of the most dogshit anime ever.
May 22, 10:49 AM
Feb 2022
griddyweeb said:

yeah tbh it felt like your lie in april with less attachment to female mc , boths depend on taste ig some people like it fast some like it slow.
May 22, 2:09 PM
Nov 2020
didnt hit for me too
May 22, 2:42 PM
May 2024
Idk I think all of ya’ll are missing the point of the movie
May 22, 2:45 PM
May 2024
griddyweeb said:
@GreenRPG4120 I'm proposing the opposite, I'm not saying it should've been faster, I'm saying it should've been more detailed with longer running time. I'm saying this because I know why it's important to have the movie turn out as it did, for the same reason you listed, if they made the movie longer by adding more things from her bucket list it would've defeated its purpose to deliver the message

Honestly I thought the bucket list was pretty detailed but I mean it’s not a series so there’s only so much you can do with 1.45hrs of screen time
May 22, 7:33 PM

May 2021
You aint the only one man. I feel sadness and shed tears to numerous shows, but thats because I got to know the characters and relate. With a movie though, the connection is just not there since its too short.
May 23, 7:38 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to GreenRPG4120
Idk I think all of ya’ll are missing the point of the movie
@GreenRPG4120 I literally went out my way to explain how I know that this was the point of the whole story but it could've been executed in a better way without compromising the message
May 27, 1:50 PM
May 2024
maybe you've watched more sad anime than this .
Jun 9, 3:35 PM
Sep 2021
i remember watching this a few years ago looking for a good cry and ended up disappointed because it didn't make me sad at all
Jun 10, 7:44 PM
Jun 2022
griddyweeb said:

nope. manga was too short
Aug 9, 1:15 AM
Jan 2024
I agree with you, I didn't even feel sad
Aug 26, 10:15 AM
Oct 2016
yeh i didn't really care at all this is one of those movies that is trying to put on the disguise of being so deep when it is pretty shallow. really while there are a few moments most of the movie is empty feel good fluff. there is nothing that really feels personal it shows the people she knows to little there is no specifics about her character. did she like a specific band hobby's the most given is she kind of like comic books and issues about her life are only told never shown. i wanted to give it a shot but even considering how much time is has there are so much stuff that got less time that did plenty for the characters with the time they had so there really no excuse for how little was done.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Sep 1, 2018

383 by ferrumz »»
Sep 20, 5:41 PM

» *SPOILER* did anyone cry in this movie? ( 1 2 )

ichigo23sterling - Apr 11, 2021

96 by Zarutaku »»
Jul 31, 5:25 AM

» The only movie I refuse to rewatch.

dmdm597 - Jul 21, 2022

49 by EzioMorte »»
Jul 25, 9:59 AM

» That video game song

Masta_Don - May 9

4 by Masta_Don »»
May 11, 3:12 PM

» Please explain me the ending (Spoilers)

Anime_lover_2004 - May 8, 2020

16 by Atsunome »»
Jan 11, 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.