Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2023 2:32 AM

Mar 2020
As someone who tried to read Jorge Joestar a while ago and gave up, I've always heard the latter half becomes almost incomprehensible in its weirdness. However, I've also heard that the book is a crossover between Jojo and the author's previous series of Tsukumojuku and Disco Wednesdayyy so maybe all the weird stuff is just stuff from that. I plan on trying to restart and actually finish Jorge and would like to know if reading those other two books first would be necessary for me to understand it.

Jun 9, 2023 4:28 PM
Mar 2016
I’ve only read Disco, and to be honest it doesn’t add much to Jorge. Tsuku might, however I generally feel if you’re looking for a Jojo novel, you’re better off reading Purple Haze Feedback or The Book. Jorge is more of a meta detective story than a Jojo story, and knowing Otaro Maijo makes that make far more sense.

Jorge is essentially a sequel to the JDC series by Seiryouin which is nigh untranslatable, with Otaros Tsukumojuku being a spinoff tribute to that series, and Jorge having the version of Tsukumojuku Otaro written for his tribute.

If this sounds confusing it’s because it really is. You have to be a particular kind of person to like Otaro’s writing and if you don’t vibe with Jorge you probably won’t with his other works. I personally really love disco, but it’s written for big fans of murder mystery and meta mysteries, and it is very graphic so I do recommend digression.

The Tldr to your answer would be: No, they’re not necessary to understand Jorge.

it does reference these other media lightly. even if you wanted to understand all the references, they’d from books that’ll never be translated, so it’s already pretty unlikely.
zakdjJun 9, 2023 4:41 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jorge Joestar Chapter 5 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Dec 6, 2018

1 by sk8head »»
Jan 6, 2021 10:41 AM

Poll: » Jorge Joestar Chapter 2 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Dec 5, 2018

1 by Kajo_Senpai69 »»
Sep 28, 2019 2:08 AM

Poll: » Jorge Joestar Chapter 1 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Dec 5, 2018

1 by Kajo_Senpai69 »»
Sep 28, 2019 2:07 AM

» Artist

Hamody_Asgail - Apr 16, 2019

0 by Hamody_Asgail »»
Apr 16, 2019 6:28 PM

Poll: » Jorge Joestar Chapter 16 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Dec 10, 2018

0 by Ulquiorra »»
Dec 10, 2018 2:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.