Forum Settings
Forums

The boundaries of yuri (+ shoujo ai as for mal) - genderbender, crossdressing etc

New
Feb 25, 2016 12:24 PM

Feb 2010
To make it simple: yuri as +18 and <18 titles.

There are titles that has main character cross-dressing as female.
In Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru main character act as female. Except first episode and a few moments we don't see "him" but "her". While watching Otome... I had similar feelings like Marimite.
On other hand, in a Maria+Holic main character acts mainly (not in good way - sadism etc). It's a parody.
There is one crossdressing man in a Sasameki koto but it's similar to Maria+holic - just a comedy.
In a Boku no futatsu no tsubasa main heroine is a hemafrodite.
In a IS: Otoko demo Onna demo nai Sei the character are intersex.

So, I'm wondering how do you feel about male acting as female in yuri.
Does it matter if a title has a "feeling" like a good titles like Marimite.
Do you call yuri a show that mocks yuri (Maria+holic)

What about other character that are not male or female.
Does matter how person look? We have yuri with a tomboish characters and it is still yuri.
Does it matter if person has breasts and/or female reproductive organs. I bet there is yuri with a young character without breasts. I guess that there is a yuri with female that has damaged (or something similar) organ. In both cases they are still considered yuri.

There are lots of different yuri, so it's difficult to exclude titles "just because it looks lie normal couple". So what is the boundaries of yuri. Where is the place that you say "no, it's not yuri any more".
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 13, 2016 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
In my opnion, yuri is the relationship of two girls (well, can be sex too). I think it stops being yuri when there isn't a relationship between two girls, I mean, if there is only crossdressing thats not yuri ;)
BTW, I'm an english learner, please tell me how I'm going!
Mar 16, 2016 5:18 AM

Nov 2014
Boku Girl has some, was en enjoyable read
(Complete gender swap)
Jan 10, 2023 6:17 AM
( °◡°)/
Oct 2021
fmpg089 said:
In my opnion, yuri is the relationship of two girls (well, can be sex too). I think it stops being yuri when there isn't a relationship between two girls, I mean, if there is only crossdressing thats not yuri ;)
BTW, I'm an english learner, please tell me how I'm going!

I'd probably say I'm in exactly the same boat, where there has to be at least some depiction of an intimate relation between two or more girls/ women.

That said, I'm still not a big fan of genderbender stuff, unless it's a permanent transition perhaps and the character at least accepts their transition...
Feb 12, 2023 5:10 PM

Aug 2021
my personal view is that binaries are a little too constraining, i prefer to keep things a little more fluid and open
therefore to me, again, personally, in my view, opinion, this is just me okay, yuri is kind of like girl-adjecent love, the MCs gotta have some connection to womanhood present in their identity, but they dont necessarily have to fit the box of what is culturally and societally understood as "woman"; basically opening the genre up to non-binary characters;
i believe there might be a case for some characters which are referred to by the show/manga itself as crossdressers, it very much depends whether the character actually does insist on maleness personally; im pretty sure some crossdresser characters entered the trans canon, which according to my personal view and logic would classify them as yuri; i have the agency to interpret things however i interpret them right
and shit i tried to sound smart but i got tired of it mid post basically its kinda vibes-based thats what i mean lmao, if i sense yuri vibes then its yuri, even if the character might not necessarily be a binary cis woman, its a feeling u know, something that cannot really be strictly defined imho
while reading a bunch of crossdresser manga i could easily sense some characters as definitely dudes who crossdress and others as wow this is a bit more complicated, theyre not really a dude
thats just me tho
obviously i am not in favor of dissolving the genre altogether or completely opening it up to everything, there is a utilitarian case for categories obviously, so the search function makes sense and there isn't irrelevant shit there, im just saying that the way people experience yuri is kind of personal, so a strict classificaiton with specific rules wouldnt really make sense, it would only put arbitary impositions on the love stories u know
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your sexual orientation? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Kyo - Jun 10, 2009

1187 by removed-user »»
Jun 16, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Which type of shoujo-ai/yuri pairings do you like the most? ( 1 2 )

Louchan - Jul 12, 2009

61 by removed-user »»
Jun 12, 2023 9:25 AM

» Ouji-sama nante iranai by Harushion (not on mal!, 200 pages) - Marimite/class-s like

Wannabiteme - Jun 4, 2023

1 by JB-94 »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:17 AM

» what kind of Shoujo-ai &amp; Yuri do you like ? ( 1 2 )

pitman - Aug 3, 2007

85 by HaruHaruLove »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:32 AM

» What anime made you cry? ( 1 2 )

deletemeplzz - Sep 11, 2009

57 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 13, 2023 11:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.