Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 23, 2009 12:27 AM

Dec 2008
So i was thinking....
I always hated romance stuff, i'm just not that kind of guy, but toradora! really is awesome for me, so WHY? What's about toradora! so different from other romances?
My first bet would be the characters, they're all pretty amazing, but that can be me, i tend to WAY prefer (and maybe overrate) manga with great characters, but then i thought more and i came out with this:
What's about romances most times? There are always adversities, rivals or wahtever that tend to separate the "fated couple", but if you think abot this, toradora! has NO such thing (Ami did the job, but that was like 7 chapters out of 25). I mean, in Toradora! there's NO rivalry, quite the opposite, just see all the mess with minori and taiga, both wanting to not make unhappy the other, and in the end minori even letting go her two beloved persons for their sake. Toradora! is all about this, just a great story of amazing friendship and love, but it shouldn't be called toradora!, more like "class 2-C" :p

So forgive me if the grammar is bad, and discuss please, make your concepts etc.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 23, 2009 12:35 AM

May 2007
Of course it's different. Toradora differs from other shows in its genre because:
- It's not a shallow, sappy, teary show where people blushes and cry over cheesy dialogs
- Anti-cliché and realistic character behavior; everyone in this show acts more like people in real life, as opposed to they're being scripted to do whatever
- It tends to break the 4th wall for being unpredictable from one things to another
- Took a dramatic teenage angst life turn second half from love comedy, which most other shows in this genre aren't willing to risk

All of those, with well written plot carefully mixed together makes Toradora! a superb, enjoyable, can't-miss romcom.
Apr 28, 2009 1:40 AM

Apr 2009
-For one thing, it's very different from most romance animes. As the person above me said, it's anti-cliche and far from being predictable. ^^,

-It's one of the few anime series where I find all of the characters very likeable. For the first time in ages, I found myself NOT cursing at some dumb or shy, blushing anime character.

-No (or very limited) fillers. Every episode is a must watch. ^^

Jun 21, 2009 1:11 PM

Jun 2009
My answer may be short.
But I think it explains everything.
I find world & myself in toradora.
Nov 3, 2013 9:25 AM

Aug 2011
Am I the only one who's pissed off that Taiga constantly bites the hand that literally feeds her (at least in the first part)? That was the singular thing I don't like about Toradora!

EDIT: Yup... the more I see the more I'm convinced Taiga is just a selfish spoiled brat. Of all the Shana Clones, I find her to be the least likable, despite being considered the final version of Shana's prototype. My opinion: the prototype was the best. They just kept removing dere and adding tsun. That's just making them annoying.
issen-ken-takaNov 4, 2013 8:54 AM
Nov 19, 2013 9:27 PM

Jan 2013
issen-ken-taka said:
Am I the only one who's pissed off that Taiga constantly bites the hand that literally feeds her (at least in the first part)? That was the singular thing I don't like about Toradora!

EDIT: Yup... the more I see the more I'm convinced Taiga is just a selfish spoiled brat. Of all the Shana Clones, I find her to be the least likable, despite being considered the final version of Shana's prototype. My opinion: the prototype was the best. They just kept removing dere and adding tsun. That's just making them annoying.

Yeah she is a selfish brat but that is her character line after all, right. In my opinion she even admits it when Ryuuji and her are asked about their future goals and she says that her parents are rich and she just lives off of them. Being a Shana Clone she does have that fun sized personality that may seem a little extreme.
I agree that in normal circumstances it would be annoying but I feel that paired with Ryuuji who can take it and give it back it makes for a great comedy.
And little by little you see that more brassiness begin to fade as she realizes who she is and the circumstances that she is really in.
Nov 25, 2013 12:37 PM

Aug 2011
Youjinbou said:

It's one of the very few animes where the main character is not a retard, instead he's a nice & thoughtful guy. Which was surprising for me.^^

Not a retard... ok, not a retard, but by God, I'd beat the shit out of Tiaga if I were him. She's unbearable in the first episodes. She was the main reason I was turned off the series. I dropped it after starting to think that the whole show might be like the first episodes. Now I'm glad I picked it up again. Totally worth it by the end!
Dec 11, 2013 6:50 AM

Jan 2013
Youjinbou said:
I think the reason was the same, the characters were very deep and well developed, and that's why people had different opinions on whether if they were good or bad. So I think it's sometimes a good thing when characters get hated.^^

I agree that hatred doesn't necessarily mean that an anime is complete crap but that it can a well enough developed story and character base to appeal to some and not to others. You can't please everyone 100% of the time.
Jan 6, 2014 1:45 PM

Aug 2011
Youjinbou said:

I don't agree, because I think Taiga is a thoughtful person with a good personality too.^^

I've seen many people who find Taiga, Minori, Ami and Kitamura (especially Minori and Taiga) annoying, or hate them. And I've also seen many people who love them. But in my opinion the reason people have such different opinions is because the characters in Toradora are complex and well developed, so I think it's good that we have different opinions.^^

It was the same in Code Geass, the main character and other important characters have a lot of ppl who worship them, but I've also seen people who hate some of those characters. I think the reason was the same, the characters were very deep and well developed, and that's why people had different opinions on whether if they were good or bad. So I think it's sometimes a good thing when characters get hated.^^

I didn't hate Taiga, at least not by the end, but were you seriously not affected by the way she treated the person that literally fed her and kept her clean despite the fact that he had no obligation, was not her slave and/or paid servant? Jesus, even a servant would quit after such treatment. Only a slave would still work for her after that.
Sorry, it's just that it totally killed me, that part of the beginning.
Also, you can't decide if a character is good or bad on whether people hate or love them. Why can't the author make a very well-shaped and tridimensional character who's purpose is to be hated by the audience?

Also, also, nice signature. Ef FTW.
Jan 6, 2014 1:46 PM

Aug 2011
issen-ken-taka said:

Also, also, nice signature. Ef FTW.

You changed your signature as I was posting...
Aug 1, 2014 1:07 AM

Aug 2011
Youjinbou said:

About Taiga.

Here's how I rationalize it:
- Taiga is so broken from her previous experiences she simply considers that her way of treating Ryu is normal. Practicaly, she'a having a constant psychotic breakdown. She gets better.
You might disagree with that, but I bet you'll agree with this second point:
- Ryuuji is not a masochis, true, but I doubt he actually consciously realized she cared about him, mostly because she didn't at fist. I doubt it was love at first site, they just grew on each other. No, he stuck with her despite how she treted him because she was one of the only people that weren't terrified by him. She was willing to stay by his side. When you're that lonely, you put up with a lot of stuff.

As for the comedy... I don't thow, they crossed the line. I know a guy who simply can't watch the series because of it. I couldn't watch it at first, only managed to get through it the third time, and even afeter I kept telling the guy it's worth it by the end, he still can't watch it. The show kind of shot itself in the leg. It could have still been funny without exagerating so much. I swear, the first time Taiga went at Ryu with killer intent. That girl is insane. You don't just hit someone with a bokken with all your strengh, you could kill them. And this isn't some lighthearted romantic comedy, the general tone is quite dramatic and serious. You can't just go with "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

All of the values you described in the third point, those aren't apparent until later on, so they weren't much of a redeaming feature at the start.
As for the end point, as I said, that explains it, I agree. But we find that out only later one. At the start, we don't really have a reason for why she seems to be batshit insane.
Later she did grown on my. The whole irony is that by the end, my favorite character was Ami... and I hated her at first too. Congratulations to the author for the character developement.
Nov 15, 2015 9:13 AM
Nov 2015
One thing I love about Toradora a lot is that the personalities of the characters are built reaaaaaaaaaaally good.

I always say Toradora have 50 episodes cause,no matter how good you are at understanding every character, u discover a lot more the second time u watch it.

The second time u watch it, u can totally 100% understand exactly what is every character thinking on every moment, why they act like they act, u see their intentions, their mistakes, their regrets... U understand everything so good that it feels like u made them. And you can get that extremely deep understanding of every character thnx to how perfectly done they are. Nothing they do/say is out of context with their personalities on any moment. They always act like the persons they are.

What I mean is, Toradora's characters feels REAL. They have realistic attitudes all the time, they have their own opinions, they make mistakes, they have their own problems, their own good and bad things. They feel real.

The writer always is the one who build a character fictional personality, but if he do it really well, that fictional personality feels like a real one, and that's like the "snowball effect", if they feel real, they will act like real persons, ergo the situations they create feels real too.

PD: I wrote a lot cause my english is bad, there are probably much better and shorter ways to say what I tried to say but.... yea, sorry! xD
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» toradora season 2

astrallancelot - May 1, 2012

23 by GiotakuSenpai »»
Feb 2, 2023 12:02 PM

Sticky: Poll: » Your favorite character? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tsuruya-san - Nov 22, 2008

236 by zstalnaker »»
Apr 6, 2022 10:11 PM

» Confusion about Ami and Minori's feelings to Ryuuji

Hengsen - Feb 16, 2019

0 by Hengsen »»
Feb 16, 2019 2:17 PM

» Toradora! BluRay with DUB - FINALLY!!!

zensunni - Mar 12, 2014

0 by zensunni »»
Mar 12, 2014 7:53 AM

» TORADORA VN IS TRANSLATED

Jimbo_X - Jan 1, 2014

1 by Darkstar0z »»
Jan 4, 2014 8:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.