Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 17, 2013 6:06 AM

Jun 2011
They seem to be making a big deal over the MC's anime obsession, is it really that unusual / looked down upon for people outside of grade school in Japan to still like anime. I have seen this as a sort of common theme in some anime lately. I would assume it's not and very typical for people of all ages to watch anime in Japan. I don't see why it would be so unusual for a girl (no matter how pretty/perfect) she is to have a hobby. Is it really automatically linked to being a pervert if you like anime too? I feel like I recently shared my interest with somebody and they automatically thought it was something sexualized too but is it really? Anyways just curious to see what people's responses because trying to grasp why Nogizaka's otaku-ness would be dispicable to her peers is the one part of the show I'm kind of struggling with. x w x
Nov 17, 2013 6:26 AM

Mar 2008
Yes it is, though the show probably exaggerated it for comedic/dramatic effect (as far as i remember).
'Otaku' would almost always be seen as a negative slur. Yes, a very significant portion of anime is sexualised. Linking to 'pervertedness' would really depend on the saviness of the person in mention.
Essentially 'Otaku' in this context would be approximately the equivalent to creepy, awkward geek/nerd 'losers' within American school culture.

Female Otaku - 'Fujoshi' are stereotyped into enjoying 'Boys Love' and homosexual works and were a far rarer topic. Iif I remember correctly Nogizaka was particularly strange in this case as she was depicted as being obsessed with 'male-oriented' fanservice-like shows.
CkanNov 17, 2013 6:31 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SwordWielder - Sep 25, 2008

118 by toralbabs »»
Feb 4, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 19, 2008

64 by toralbabs »»
Jan 27, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

63 by toralbabs »»
Jan 25, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 5, 2008

84 by toralbabs »»
Jan 20, 11:39 PM

Poll: » Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Aug 28, 2008

55 by toralbabs »»
Jan 17, 9:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.