Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2012 12:28 AM

Jul 2012
How is toriko? Is it interesting? or does it get slow and boring? Should i start with anime or manga or both?
Aug 31, 2012 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
It's a good show. Sure, the pacing is slow (The series overall starts off very slow but you quickly find out that the food themes are MUCH more than a simple gimmick. Its a creative story-telling technique and in a lot of ways becomes symbolic of deeper themes, including honor and appreciation and even religion. ) , and the content is toned down from the even crazier manga, but Toriko is such an imaginative series that you can recognize its flaws and still enjoy the wacky creativity of the world it establishes. It's probably a good thing that there aren't many big fights. Like One Piece (the two series' mangaka are apparently good friends), Toriko is at its best when it explores the geography, biology and mythology of its world.

OK. Couple'a things.

First, the show is not a comedy, though there are definitely comedic elements contained therein (like most shounen IPs). It can be, but isn't usually, intentionally silly. Most of the time it is being fairly earnest but in an over-the-top way that provokes reactions that might make some think that the series is a comedy. It is actually a shounen battle/exploration show akin to One Piece or Hunter x Hunter.

Second, Toriko is about food like One Piece is about treasure. Cooking and ingredients play a big role in peoples' motivations and skillsets and the world contains a lot weird sorts of foods. However, the food itself isn't what drives the series so much as it makes the series stand out. Food is the theme which the author focused his creativity on and dressed the show up in. In typical anime fashion, what the creator's mind produces isn't what you'd expect.

So, yeah. It's a good show. Try it for a few episodes, and you might be surprised...unless you already hate shounen shows.
Of course, Toriko is a battle shounen and if you're not already into the typical stuff that come with the genre than you won't be into Toriko.
...given the fact that you like battle shounen shows...you will like it.
removed-userAug 31, 2012 1:23 AM
Aug 31, 2012 1:46 AM

Jul 2012
thanks for the push... will add it to my list.

will start with anime them.
Aug 31, 2012 2:26 AM
Mar 2012
I didn't like it no matter how many times I tried it, there is such a strong gay undertone
Aug 31, 2012 7:47 AM

Sep 2011
are there any plans for an english dub?
Follow me on twitter @jaywhy620 if you like wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH) also I talk about anime occasionally and Follow me on Vine @ Awesome Wrestling

More topics from this board

» Any Similar Donghua to Xian Ni?

YukiTsubaki - Yesterday

3 by YukiTsubaki »»
2 hours ago

» Shoujo Series

NotActuallyReal - 5 hours ago

4 by duchessliz87 »»
3 hours ago

» Romance Anime

Zamus_Edits - May 24

3 by M2zC »»
4 hours ago

» Any good horror manga/anime recommendations?

zorobignaturals - Today

11 by zorobignaturals »»
7 hours ago

» Action/romance anime like Chivalry of the failed knight / Shakugan no Shana

NIGERUNDAYO__ - 9 hours ago

2 by Ohayotaku »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.