Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 14, 4:07 PM

Nov 2016
In Japan there are TV fees. NHK is quite capable of sponsoring, subsidising, giving airtime to anime on certain socially useful issues. I'm not an expert on Japanese social policy. It's just that lately there's been a lot of anime about sports, medicine, firefighters, etc. They often promote very simple narratives. Like in this anime. Let's cure everyone, let's help everyone, and let's all be friendly. Every season there is an anime with a medical theme. Then there are sports and family anime. Is it my paranoia or is this some kind of plan?

I'll tell you a secret. Not every country has the idea that the state has the right to broadcast something to its citizens, to nurture something. I don't know about the Japanese.
Do you know anything about Japanese government (or government-owned) funding in these areas? I don't. I'm asking the general public because it's hard for me to get into their official documents without knowing Japanese.

So, Japan is quite a democracy. The vast majority of governments use the concept of open government. A budget is drawn up and the expenditure is written in it. You can also read who bought what and where. And even the procedures for grants and procurement are transparent and visible. If I knew Japanese, I'd just go and read what's there and what's what.
If you didn't know, in Russia every municipality, region, etc. publishes a budget, and there is a separate place for purchases and grants. You can read who allocated money for what and then spent it on what. In the last few years there have been 'difficulties' in Russia and the quality of the materials provided has dropped a lot. In Europe, so far, everything is normal and the information is better structured.
Oct 14, 4:38 PM

Apr 2021
What does this have to do with the anime ?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Oct 14, 4:39 PM
Jul 2022
You should watch "Welcome to the NHK" might like it lol
Oct 14, 8:50 PM
Apr 2021
They're definitely trying to push a narrative. Especially when there's also been a lot of farming/agriculture animes in addition to all the other industries. It could be that they want the newer generation to get into these industries (since they make the world go round) so it doesn't die off and become a job nobody wants to do anymore. The idea of it being government funded seems likely considering there's one or 2 EVERY season.
Oct 14, 10:19 PM

Jul 2021
I think that if the government was involved in the planning and production of anime shows or manga, we would know. As in the credits would indicate: "this is japanese propaganda, funded by the ministry of education/economy/culture".

If anything, they just subsidize and promote anime in general that is able to have a large outreach internationally, or that promotes japanese culture, by creating events and giving production companies and publishers grants, tax exemptions and things of the sort.

But it's hard to believe that everything from the writing and publishing of the source material, up to the making of the anime adaptation, is all planned and done by the government. Or anything in fact, since there are many private companies in between with their own commercial interests. Moreso when I've probably never seen credits to the japanese government.
Oct 15, 4:52 AM

Nov 2016
Reply to Loli_Reaper109
They're definitely trying to push a narrative. Especially when there's also been a lot of farming/agriculture animes in addition to all the other industries. It could be that they want the newer generation to get into these industries (since they make the world go round) so it doesn't die off and become a job nobody wants to do anymore. The idea of it being government funded seems likely considering there's one or 2 EVERY season.
@Loli_Reaper109 You're right, that does make sense. Thanks for your opinion.
Oct 15, 5:03 AM

Nov 2016
Reply to IhnalakoKaina
I think that if the government was involved in the planning and production of anime shows or manga, we would know. As in the credits would indicate: "this is japanese propaganda, funded by the ministry of education/economy/culture".

If anything, they just subsidize and promote anime in general that is able to have a large outreach internationally, or that promotes japanese culture, by creating events and giving production companies and publishers grants, tax exemptions and things of the sort.

But it's hard to believe that everything from the writing and publishing of the source material, up to the making of the anime adaptation, is all planned and done by the government. Or anything in fact, since there are many private companies in between with their own commercial interests. Moreso when I've probably never seen credits to the japanese government.
@IhnalakoKaina And what makes you think this information will be in the official documentation, let alone in credits?
It may not be propaganda, it may not be a deliberate act, because that's not what anime is about. All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Oct 15, 6:23 AM

Jul 2021
Cersil said:
@IhnalakoKaina And what makes you think this information will be in the official documentation, let alone in credits?
It may not be propaganda, it may not be a deliberate act, because that's not what anime is about. All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Conversely, why would they hide their involvement? Why would a government institution or a ministry masquerade as a private company to make anime? How about the source materials? Would they commission mangakas or authors to write a specific type of manga or ln?

It makes no sense. Like I said, the only involvement the japanese government has in anime like this is that the publisher or studio that made it could have benefited from some grant or cultural program's tax break.

I also don't understand why you think you need to see the tax expenditures or some sort of official government document to find out what you could by simply reading the credits or looking for government programs like cool japan. You can also read the pages of each publisher or studio to see if they are managed or owned by the government. If they were, they wouldn't have any reason to hide it.
Oct 15, 6:54 AM

Nov 2016
Reply to IhnalakoKaina
Cersil said:

Conversely, why would they hide their involvement? Why would a government institution or a ministry masquerade as a private company to make anime? How about the source materials? Would they commission mangakas or authors to write a specific type of manga or ln?

It makes no sense. Like I said, the only involvement the japanese government has in anime like this is that the publisher or studio that made it could have benefited from some grant or cultural program's tax break.

I also don't understand why you think you need to see the tax expenditures or some sort of official government document to find out what you could by simply reading the credits or looking for government programs like cool japan. You can also read the pages of each publisher or studio to see if they are managed or owned by the government. If they were, they wouldn't have any reason to hide it.
@IhnalakoKaina That may be true. And in a season, they release at most a couple of overlapping themes to cover the maximum audience. If there are five anime about doctors and three about sports in a season, you can get a saturation effect.
Oct 15, 1:35 PM

Jul 2021
I'm not sure if there are "a lot" of anime about medicine these days. What else is out there?? I would love to know. The only recent show I can think of is Parallel World Pharmacy and The Saint's Power is Omnipotent, but both of those are more about magical healing. And I can't really say Apothecary Diaries is a "medical" anime... It's more of a detective/drama/comedy hybrid.

Also, I think sports anime has always been popular throughout history. If anything, it feels like they've gotten less common and less popular recently, compared to the glory days of stuff like Slam Dunk and Haikyuu.

As already mentioned, I don't think there's any reason whatsoever for the Japanese government to do this in secret. It's not a message that will offend people, Japanese or otherwise, like promoting nationalism or denying climate change.

Besides, the source material of Gekai Elise is Korean, anyway. If the government wanted to get involved, I don't see a reason to piggy-back off an existing, foreign property. They can just push their own original story with all of their ideas fully incorporated.
Oct 15, 5:36 PM
Mar 2023
Cersil said:
In Japan there are TV fees. NHK is quite capable of sponsoring, subsidising, giving airtime to anime on certain socially useful issues. I'm not an expert on Japanese social policy. It's just that lately there's been a lot of anime about sports, medicine, firefighters, etc. They often promote very simple narratives. Like in this anime. Let's cure everyone, let's help everyone, and let's all be friendly. Every season there is an anime with a medical theme. Then there are sports and family anime. Is it my paranoia or is this some kind of plan?

I'll tell you a secret. Not every country has the idea that the state has the right to broadcast something to its citizens, to nurture something. I don't know about the Japanese.
Do you know anything about Japanese government (or government-owned) funding in these areas? I don't. I'm asking the general public because it's hard for me to get into their official documents without knowing Japanese.

So, Japan is quite a democracy. The vast majority of governments use the concept of open government. A budget is drawn up and the expenditure is written in it. You can also read who bought what and where. And even the procedures for grants and procurement are transparent and visible. If I knew Japanese, I'd just go and read what's there and what's what.
If you didn't know, in Russia every municipality, region, etc. publishes a budget, and there is a separate place for purchases and grants. You can read who allocated money for what and then spent it on what. In the last few years there have been 'difficulties' in Russia and the quality of the materials provided has dropped a lot. In Europe, so far, everything is normal and the information is better structured.

this anime is based off of a south korean manhwa so I don't get your point

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

59 by Cersil »»
Oct 15, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20

47 by Cersil »»
Oct 15, 12:02 PM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13

39 by Cersil »»
Oct 15, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14

57 by Cersil »»
Oct 15, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Gekai Elise Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 24

54 by Cersil »»
Oct 15, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.