Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 3, 3:56 AM
Sep 2018
In episode 4 of the series, it is different from part 2 of the movie..
The events of the movie take place on the fifth and sixth floors.. but in the fifth episode the series reached the 56th floor.. (Summary: Kirito was talking to Asuna on the fifth floor and they were talking like friends.. but when they reached the 56th floor they were talking to each other as if they were competitors) I can't find a logical explanation for this. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜–
Sep 3, 4:09 AM

Sep 2016
Because the movie is an alternative version, not a recap.
Sep 3, 4:54 AM
Oct 2022
The movie adds details to the first arc
Sep 3, 5:00 AM
Sep 2018
Well, wouldn't it be better to make an alternative version by creating a new series that combines the events of the movie and the series together?πŸ€”
That would be great.. I think.πŸ˜…
Sep 3, 6:53 AM
May 2022
Progressive is an alternative version of events but told from Asuna’s point of view and Kawahara-Sensei has tried to fill in some gaps by retconning and adding new mythology. The jury is still undecided on whether or not it works
Sep 3, 9:09 AM
May 2022
It's an alternative universe story. And I def prefer both movies over the show any day of the week.
Sep 3, 9:14 AM
Oct 2020
I think, Sword Art Online: Progressive is kind of a midquel (Prequel but which runs between an existing arc) arc, which runs in between the Aincrad arc. Also, as much as I can remember, there is a time skip between floors in the later episodes, so I think this arc is filling those gaps in the actual Aincrad arc storyline.
Sep 3, 9:18 AM
Jan 2023
will the series ever going to continue from where it left in the last season SAO underworld?
Sep 3, 9:34 AM

Jan 2017
zazo_Zero_2 said:
I can't find a logical explanation for this. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜–

As mentioned by most users above, Progressive is an alternative take; a Remake of the Aincrad Arc, so it won't be completely coherent with what was shown in the Anime.

Animo_san said:
will the series ever going to continue from where it left in the last season SAO underworld?

Yeah, definitely. It's basically confirmed that the producers are waiting for the Final Arc to be finished in the Light Novel to adapt it entirely, which is why they are focusing on Progressive and Gun Gale Online Alternative for now.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 3, 6:38 PM
Sep 2018
Well I think I prefer the movie more.. Even it is clear that at the end of the movie part 2, (BoH)‚ one of the members of the laughing coffin appeared. What bothered me the most in the series part 1 was their absence from appearing.

Aaaah, I still think that releasing a series with a different or side story would be more exciting and suspenseful. 😩😩
Sep 3, 11:47 PM
Dec 2015
Because its based on the reboot novels "Progressive"
Sep 4, 12:42 AM
Sep 2018
Reply to Alexioos95
zazo_Zero_2 said:

As mentioned by most users above, Progressive is an alternative take; a Remake of the Aincrad Arc, so it won't be completely coherent with what was shown in the Anime.

Animo_san said:

Yeah, definitely. It's basically confirmed that the producers are waiting for the Final Arc to be finished in the Light Novel to adapt it entirely, which is why they are focusing on Progressive and Gun Gale Online Alternative for now.
@Alexioos95 It's actually hard to change my memories and feelings in 10 years from the production of the series in 2012 to the movie in 2022 😞
Sep 4, 7:15 AM
Jan 2023
Alexioos95 said:
zazo_Zero_2 said:

Animo_san said:

Any idea when the arc will finish and adaptation will begin? πŸ€”πŸ€¨πŸ§

Note: I didn't read the LN or Manga,
ONLY watched the Anime
Sep 4, 9:02 AM

Jan 2017
zazo_Zero_2 said:
It's actually hard to change my memories and feelings in 10 years from the production of the series in 2012 to the movie in 2022 😞

Well, it's an alternative version, not a replacement, anyway.

Just take the Progressive series as a bonus; an alternative take, nothing more. It's all the more troublesome because of the 2 Movies, adding Anime-original elements (like Mito) from the Light Novels, for no reason... You can have more version if you look at the Light Novel, and another one with the Mangas.

Flynn_bridge said:
Any idea when the arc will finish and adaptation will begin? πŸ€”πŸ€¨πŸ§

Eh... Maybe in a decade, or so ?

The Final Arc is far from finished, and Volumes are published very slowly, due to the Authors running multiple projects at once. The Anime will then probably go into production for a year or two a few months after the end of the Light Novel.
Alexioos95Sep 4, 9:07 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 8, 9:28 PM
Sep 2020
*a lot* happened btwn Progressive and floor 56. Something major happens with the end of the Elf War campaign; also a lot of ppl die on Floor 25; Kirito and Asuna split up, on painful terms... hence Kirito joins the black cats later on. We don't have a ton of info about what happens between, but even in the anime you can see Kirito gets pretty messed up for a while, while Asuna eventually becomes the vice commander of the most prominent guild in SAO - which is beyond stressful. She's clearly become a lot more hardened than she was back then. So it's not exactly surprising that her and Kirito are gonna butt heads on some stuff

that said, the Progressive movies are their own canon that didn't even try to match the anime canon (nevermind the original light novels)... so there will only be more continuity issues lmao

(no I'm not still salty about how they adapted/butchered much of Progressive in the movies, why do you ask?)
Oct 2, 1:57 AM

Mar 2020
Reply to akatsukinoluna
*a lot* happened btwn Progressive and floor 56. Something major happens with the end of the Elf War campaign; also a lot of ppl die on Floor 25; Kirito and Asuna split up, on painful terms... hence Kirito joins the black cats later on. We don't have a ton of info about what happens between, but even in the anime you can see Kirito gets pretty messed up for a while, while Asuna eventually becomes the vice commander of the most prominent guild in SAO - which is beyond stressful. She's clearly become a lot more hardened than she was back then. So it's not exactly surprising that her and Kirito are gonna butt heads on some stuff

that said, the Progressive movies are their own canon that didn't even try to match the anime canon (nevermind the original light novels)... so there will only be more continuity issues lmao

(no I'm not still salty about how they adapted/butchered much of Progressive in the movies, why do you ask?)
@akatsukinoluna But now we know where the asuna memorable hair come from
it's from his friend

maybe "just maybe" one or two things is "explained", some of it canon and some of other else is non canon... maybe something like that.

honestly something like this is good since it give the story the sense of deep just like some naruto with their filler eps or fate series with "no mc"
Oct 2, 2:52 AM
Sep 2020
@Dhanamerdeka - no we don't. We only know where her hair comes from in the Progressive movies - which have no bearing on anything else. "Asuna's hair comes from someone who literally doesn't exist in this story" makes no sense.

Anyway I don't understand how "the Progressive movies have small filler details I like" is relevant to anything I said.
Oct 2, 7:42 AM

Mar 2020
Reply to akatsukinoluna
@Dhanamerdeka - no we don't. We only know where her hair comes from in the Progressive movies - which have no bearing on anything else. "Asuna's hair comes from someone who literally doesn't exist in this story" makes no sense.

Anyway I don't understand how "the Progressive movies have small filler details I like" is relevant to anything I said.
@akatsukinoluna nah... maybe just your biased opinion, for sure back in the days, alot anime (or much more) or manga that had this type of "filler" things

not really filler but like A, B, route... and most of it they seems "booth is canon" and in the mean time, "they booth not"
just like higurashi if you exclude other series from ryukishi07, or seiren series, or just game in general like resident evil earliest series

those pretty common in japanese or asian game as a whole to give expansion from the franchise and make money in general, so people can see "more" about the franchise that they like....

ofc the main ppl who doesn't like the idea only westerner, why? as far as i see from earlier 2008 til now. it seems westerner only like if they're canon or had "definitive" ending-linear. unlike some eastern fanbase who like the story expanding non-linear....
maybe because of that we booth can't agree on some issue here.... and i ok with that. afterall any forum include mal forum section is place for agree to disagree :)
Oct 2, 9:02 AM
Sep 2020
@Dhanamerdeka

Games having alternate routes is an entirely different thing, and I'm well familiar with it. I'm a huge fan of Fate/Stay Night for example - yes, all the routes are canon (even tho they have contradictory events), that is the nature of that story. On the other hand, Fate/Zero (the prelude to F/SN) is *not* canon (and Nasu himself has stated this), even if much of it is compatible with (and might even match) the canon. Does that all form part of a larger "Fate" in my head, and inform my perception of the characters and story? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that Fate/Zero is not the official version of the events of Fate/Stay Night. In the same way manga anthologies can be really nice, bc they let you get into things the main story doesn't, explore things that contradict it, etc. And none of that has any effect on the main story.

On the other hand, SAO is not a non-linear work. It is a franchise with separate canons - the novels, the games (multiple canons within that), the main anime, and now the Progressive movies. Then there's also stuff like the side stories/doujinshi that Kawahara has written, etc. Except for the 2 novel canons needing to match each other, none of those has to match the other, or even match the official version - because they are in a different canon from each other. As far as the movies and anime are concerned, they don't need to care about Philia, Stream, Seven, Rain, Premier, etc. That's a beautiful thing, since it does allow for a fuller/more diverse portrayal of everyone and everything, and it would be really hard to create if everyone had to match. The version of Aincrad in SAOIF (which I also very much like) has some stuff that's wildly different than the official story as well.

There is a key difference between the Progressive movies and the games though. The Progressive movies are an *adaptation* of the canon material. Meaning they have some duty to properly reflect and represent that material. Obviously there's always going to be some changes in any adaptation - that's inevitable. Personally, my issue with the Progressive movies is with the scope and nature of the changes... but also it's completely irrelevant here.

The OP asked why don't the Progressive Movies and the anime match each other, and "different canons" is the answer.
Oct 2, 9:06 AM

Jan 2009
just treat it as an alternate timeline or universe
Oct 4, 5:33 PM

Mar 2020
Reply to akatsukinoluna
@Dhanamerdeka

Games having alternate routes is an entirely different thing, and I'm well familiar with it. I'm a huge fan of Fate/Stay Night for example - yes, all the routes are canon (even tho they have contradictory events), that is the nature of that story. On the other hand, Fate/Zero (the prelude to F/SN) is *not* canon (and Nasu himself has stated this), even if much of it is compatible with (and might even match) the canon. Does that all form part of a larger "Fate" in my head, and inform my perception of the characters and story? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that Fate/Zero is not the official version of the events of Fate/Stay Night. In the same way manga anthologies can be really nice, bc they let you get into things the main story doesn't, explore things that contradict it, etc. And none of that has any effect on the main story.

On the other hand, SAO is not a non-linear work. It is a franchise with separate canons - the novels, the games (multiple canons within that), the main anime, and now the Progressive movies. Then there's also stuff like the side stories/doujinshi that Kawahara has written, etc. Except for the 2 novel canons needing to match each other, none of those has to match the other, or even match the official version - because they are in a different canon from each other. As far as the movies and anime are concerned, they don't need to care about Philia, Stream, Seven, Rain, Premier, etc. That's a beautiful thing, since it does allow for a fuller/more diverse portrayal of everyone and everything, and it would be really hard to create if everyone had to match. The version of Aincrad in SAOIF (which I also very much like) has some stuff that's wildly different than the official story as well.

There is a key difference between the Progressive movies and the games though. The Progressive movies are an *adaptation* of the canon material. Meaning they have some duty to properly reflect and represent that material. Obviously there's always going to be some changes in any adaptation - that's inevitable. Personally, my issue with the Progressive movies is with the scope and nature of the changes... but also it's completely irrelevant here.

The OP asked why don't the Progressive Movies and the anime match each other, and "different canons" is the answer.
@akatsukinoluna Maybe my bad
i give some different
completely different example

maybe it's closer to seiren things
or higurashi series things for my explanation above

you see... on higurashi series there's "scene" that completely canon
and other ones is fully non cannon

but booth of them had intersection which added more detail
like who X is
and who Y is
and it also give contect when X isn't appear. where he is?
he doing AA and BB,
something like that

we know it because those.... what we called? filler eps? extended eps? or just pure "another route" eps
not completely wrong, but some of them give level of detail for what something is...
that's what i mean

for fate series i think i just mention the "far" example where the fate series they mostly different time setting AND-OR different entire world setting... let alone the MC because other than the game itself. the mc is rotating. different each sub series

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Kuraki Yuuyami no Scherzo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Koito91 - Nov 14, 2022

105 by Neneaux »»
Oct 12, 9:40 PM

» Mito is basically a replacement for Kizmel

Tank895 - Dec 31, 2023

5 by Touma_Mikoto »»
May 4, 11:00 PM

» Are we getting a sequel?

Mystogan14579 - Dec 20, 2023

8 by Sajonji »»
Jan 11, 1:36 PM

» English dub??

Ryan-marsh611 - Oct 29, 2023

5 by MazeCuber »»
Oct 30, 2023 9:47 PM

» fan services...

Zlight19 - Jan 3, 2023

6 by SkyCube »»
Sep 23, 2023 10:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.