Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 22, 11:06 PM
Jul 2022
Alright so I'll start this off by saying I am a huge hxh fan, probably my favorite shonen series i've watched. And I was hooked by hxh pretty early on, i mean i didn't care for the first 2-3 episodes with the weird tree fox thing, but pretty much the first episode into the hunter exam I was hooked for real. Basically, it did not take me long to fall in love with hxh, loved it from the beginning, and it just got better.

Anyways I decided to check out Togashi's other work, as YYH had been on my watchlist for awhile now. But man I am struggling to get into it. I enjoy the characters, and the banter is fun, but these first few arcs are boring me to death. To be honest, I actually have enjoyed the slice of life stuff from the first few episodes more than the other arcs I have seen (21 epsidoes in btw), which is weird because I'm a big shonen guy and I don't watch much slice of life. But the fights are just boring to me.

Yusuke and Kurama with the mirror had some cool character stuff, but I thought the Yusuke Hiei fight was boring. For the Genkai tournament arc, my favorite part was the first episode of that arc, episode 9, where they do several tests like the lottery, punching game, karaoke, and stuff. It just felt a lot like HxH, so I was a fan of the tests and stuff, and so far that's probably my favorite episode of the 21 that I have watched. But the fights after that did not grab me much at all, I found the Rando stuff to be boring. And now I just finished the Saints Beasts arc, I thought the Kuwabara and Byakko fight was fine, but it was only fine I wasn't overly interested, and the rest of the arc just dragged for me (I did like the very end of the Suzaku fight tho, just the end). Overall, saints beasts is my least favorite arc so far. And I've heard the rescue yukina arc is another tough one to get through.

Anyways, I just want to know if the Dark Tournament is really worth the slog. Based on what I have said that I have enjoyed, do you guys think I should keep pushing through? Is the dark tournament that much of a step up? or just a little bit better? If it's that good I will keep pushing through for sure. I read Bleach awhile ago, and that first arc was a chore, thought I was going to drop it, but then I got to Soul Society and Arrancar arc and now I love Bleach and i'm super glad I kept going. So will Dark Tournament be like that? Like the transition from Bleach's beginning arc to Soul Society? I do like the yyh characters, it's just the fights are boring and it doesn't feel like there's any stakes, feels like villain of the week and that there's not a consistent plot thread to follow (which doesn't bother me entirely, I enjoy some episodic stuff like cowboy bebop, etc. but just not what I am looking for in a battle shonen series). So I'm wondering if dark tournament levels up the fights, specifically do the fights become smarter? Something like nen, or some kind of power system, or is it just punch-kick punch-kick kinda stuff. But even then I'd still watch it if the plot was worth it. Just let me know if it's worth it to keep going.

UPDATE:
Alright I will keep going. I love the chimera ant arc so if it’s that level of quality I will stick with it. Also, I watched the rescue Yukina arc. HEAT. I loved this arc, was far far more invested than the previous arcs.

I loved Toguro, I know he’s not dead cause I’ve seen him in the dark tournament, so I can’t wait to see more of him. Really enjoyed his fight. I loved the betting going on during the episodes that was great stuff. The fight with the woman yokai was funny, and the shonen jump move cracked me up.

Having interesting villains, the betting, and then the stuff with hiei added a lot for me. It wasn’t just fight rock guy, now fight tiger guy, then fight blue ice guy, and then fight lightning guy. Like as soon as Toguro showed up I knew he was the real deal. So far this arc is BY FAR the best I’ve seen. Major step up from the previous arc imo, a lot more excited to keep going to see what’s gonna happen with dark tournament.
Balderdash1112Aug 23, 5:10 PM
Aug 22, 11:24 PM
Jun 2023
The dark tournament’s story is probably on par with chimera ant arc imo. But old anime’s tend to have that style of action (which I love) that can only be found in vintage anime’s. But overall dark tournament is peak Yu Yu Hakusho
Aug 23, 12:09 AM
Feb 2023
It’s a 40 episode long fighting tournament so if that sounds up your alley then I’d say hang in there cuz there are some cool fights. But ya I agree with everything you said. I too miss the vibe of the first few episodes throughout the rest of the series
Aug 23, 1:58 AM
May 2024
yu yu hakusho is really good, but i'm confused how people like that part
Aug 23, 2:45 AM
Apr 2015
yup this is normal. continue on
Aug 23, 3:47 AM
Dec 2014
It’s been a min since I watched it but I fw the dark tournament. That being said push through if your struggling, what happens after is not worth missing in my opinion
Aug 23, 4:49 AM
Jan 2021
What will be harder to push on through in my opinion will be the whole last arc, in which nothing is going on for extended periods of time.

Dark tournament, in my opinion is fun compared to it.
Aug 23, 5:52 AM
Dec 2021
If your issues are a lack of stakes and a poor sense of overarching plot, I’d say the Dark Tournament arc definitely increases the stakes and adds world building that sets us up nicely for the later plot. I was the same way as you, I actually preferred the slice of life beginning and then my interest dipped. I will say, I didn’t love the pacing of The Dark Tournament, but for people who like the pacing of the Chimera Ant arc I’d say this will be easy for you to enjoy! It also introduces far more interesting antagonists, so even despite the pacing not being for me I still had a lot of moments I loved.
Aug 23, 11:07 AM
May 2024
I would say stick with it too. The Dark tournament arc is pretty legit because there is a lot of character build and some highly anticipated moments. It’s too bad you didn’t like the saints beast arc too much that was one of my favorites. If they did a remake of this show for sure that arc would get everyone hyped, for vintage anime its hard to go all out in some crazy animation with some nuts fight unlike the modern stuff we see today we see from newer series’. Like from Boruto in the Jigen arc. So the series really has to bank on the vibe and theme to be interesting. I really thought that it was cool that they have to go into some deep corner of the demon world which they hadn’t done yet and fight their way up through a castle filled with monsters and traps to save the I world guess.
But yeah Dark tournament arca after keep getting better and you might even get hit with some feels along the way! Enjoy!
Aug 23, 11:17 AM

Apr 2020
Bro ... continue on. Many people said that, in the past. It'll get better....Bruh...
Aug 23, 12:07 PM

Jan 2021
Trust me, it's worth it. I also wasn't a big fan of the early arcs, but Dark Tournament and Chapter Black are excellent.
Aug 23, 1:45 PM
Nov 2019
Yeah, I would say it’s worth it. Dark Tournament is in my opinion the best tournament arc in all of anime and is probably the best arc in the series. The early arcs definitely aren’t as good as the Dark Tournament since they’re kinda like set up episodes for later arcs. Push through it, I would say it worth it.
Aug 23, 2:18 PM
Jun 2022
Continue with it. It’s 90’s Shonen. The pacing is supposed to be slower than the crap they have now.
Aug 23, 9:22 PM
Nov 2023
Yes, Dark Tournament is peak yyh, the arc after was good but not better. And the final arc was very much rushed bc togashi went to write hxh.
Aug 23, 9:39 PM

Feb 2016
Dark Tournament does not get better. You can skip to the next arc if you don't like it.
その目だれの目?
Aug 23, 11:18 PM
Aug 2022
It seems it's not for you. Too many people watch old anime to just say they watched and not because they enjoy it. If you're not in this early then I doubt that'll change after a couple tourney fights.
Aug 24, 9:38 AM
Apr 2022
Think of it like this
Spirit detective saga= Hunter exam arc
Dark Tournament arc= chimera ant arc
Chapter black= York new arc
Three kings= heavens arena
Greed island is kinda like dark tournament from the world building aspect but it’s more comparable to chimera ant
Aug 24, 12:58 PM

Apr 2016
I think that the Dark Tournament arc is really overrated, YYH actually peaks in Chapter Black, which is the arc after this one.
Aug 24, 1:09 PM
May 2020
Think of YYH like its a solid sandwich. The middle is the best section while the start and end are bread slices (meh but needed for it all to come together)
Aug 25, 5:17 AM
Nov 2020
Yeah it took me a while to get into it myself. Maybe after 30 episodes is when it hooked me but I think it gets better as it goes on and personally I liked some of the later arcs more than dark tournament even if it is iconic.
Aug 25, 5:20 AM
Dec 2015
The arc AFTER this is what I'd compare Chimera Ant Arc to. Dark Tournament is just incredibly fun fights that have a certain level of logic unlike stuff like Baki (because POWERS EXIST in YYH).

Read it if you must, but don't approach it as "I have to slog thru it." The characters feel cool, unique and fresh even today. Focus on that.
Aug 26, 4:07 AM
Dec 2015
Natsu_20_ said:
Think of it like this
Spirit detective saga= Hunter exam arc
Dark Tournament arc= chimera ant arc
Chapter black= York new arc
Three kings= heavens arena
Greed island is kinda like dark tournament from the world building aspect but it’s more comparable to chimera ant

This is so wrong lmao. CA = CB arc, and both Three Kings and Chairman arc are based around elections so why would you say otherwise😂
Aug 28, 12:29 AM
Sep 2016
Not worth it's trash

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 67 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 12, 2009

33 by KoniginElle »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 112 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarthDaimyo - Jun 7, 2010

129 by Lilliegang »»
Yesterday, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 66 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DarthDaimyo - Dec 9, 2009

57 by KoniginElle »»
Aug 29, 9:14 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 65 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 9, 2009

43 by KoniginElle »»
Aug 27, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 94 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - May 28, 2010

43 by Nintendocri »»
Aug 25, 1:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.