Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hate how Modern Anime is plagued with goodie two shoes protaognist?

New
2 hours ago

Apr 2018
Modern anime often features protagonists who are morally perfect and predictable. You know the type of super righteous, always doing the right thing, and rarely showing any shades of gray protagonist? Are you tired of the "perfect" protagonist trope?
2 hours ago
Apr 2013
This post just 5 minutes after I basically answered the same question in another threat. No. In fact I think characters like Deku are important and should always remain in mainstream media. However, 'modern' Shonen mostly have impure protagonists, which is why the new wave of shonen resonates with more people. They want to see more grey characters. I hope this trend reverts, especially with BnHA coming to a close tomorrow. I miss classic shonen. The world is such a bad place, I would love to have at least one light in my life remaining.
2 hours ago

Jul 2013
Why would anyone want an evil/immoral protagonist/main character lol? Please answer that.....
1 hour ago

Nov 2018
Well, I don't think it's true that most protagonists these days are morally perfect because of anime like Chainsaw Man, Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga, etc. I do enjoy morally grey protagonists, but not more than righteous ones. I don't think that just because characters strive to do the right thing they're the "perfect" protagonist and lack any flaws or don't sometimes also do subjectively morally grey things to achieve their goals. Most characters have their nuances, whether super righteous or otherwise, and come with their flaws. Morally grey =/= better writing and super righteous =/= bad writing.
1 hour ago

Jan 2021
Depends on the story... When ppl are discussing annoying Protags, Deku always comes to mind. I didnt think Deku was really annoying but I just didnt really like the story of MHA thats why i didnt like it for example. Im just a big fan of variety. Someztimes its good... sometimes not
I LOVE AQUA!!! add me
1 hour ago
Jul 2024
Lol, they are a meant to be morally right, but in reality they are just wimpy people who got handed the strongest powers.

Leave a murderer or human trafficer alive and they will human traffic. The only reason why we have jail is because we don't have that many people who do that, so we have the luxury to attempt to rehabilate them.
1 hour ago
Jul 2024
Reply to DesuMaiden
Why would anyone want an evil/immoral protagonist/main character lol? Please answer that.....
@DesuMaiden

You shouldn't use the most extreme example of the opposition to try to prove your point.
1 hour ago
Jul 2024
Reply to famservice
Well, I don't think it's true that most protagonists these days are morally perfect because of anime like Chainsaw Man, Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga, etc. I do enjoy morally grey protagonists, but not more than righteous ones. I don't think that just because characters strive to do the right thing they're the "perfect" protagonist and lack any flaws or don't sometimes also do subjectively morally grey things to achieve their goals. Most characters have their nuances, whether super righteous or otherwise, and come with their flaws. Morally grey =/= better writing and super righteous =/= bad writing.
@famservice

XD, the 3 anime, probably some of the only ones, with those 'unperfect characters' are actually good anime.

Sorta' just proves that no one wants a 2D bland character which we've seen hundreds of times.
1 hour ago
Jul 2024
Reply to Iron47
Depends on the story... When ppl are discussing annoying Protags, Deku always comes to mind. I didnt think Deku was really annoying but I just didnt really like the story of MHA thats why i didnt like it for example. Im just a big fan of variety. Someztimes its good... sometimes not
@Iron47

Asta is infinitely more times annoying.

He acts like an Underdog while in reality he has the strongest anti-magic with a fucking demon in his book. Like, sure, he tries, but most people can never become that strong even if they try because you made the series based solely on genetics, omg author!!
1 hour ago

Nov 2018
Reply to Hiimoohiii
@famservice

XD, the 3 anime, probably some of the only ones, with those 'unperfect characters' are actually good anime.

Sorta' just proves that no one wants a 2D bland character which we've seen hundreds of times.
@Hiimoohiii Sonny boy, Devilman: Crybaby (although Akira is righteous, he's extremely flawed and not all perfect), Banana Fish, When They Cry, Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun, and probably a ton of isekai's that I will never watch. Just because a few shounens, series that are demographically aimed at younger boys and therefor may lack mature themes sometimes, often have a righteous protagonist does not mean that's how all anime generally are these days.
1 hour ago
Jul 2024
Reply to famservice
@Hiimoohiii Sonny boy, Devilman: Crybaby (although Akira is righteous, he's extremely flawed and not all perfect), Banana Fish, When They Cry, Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun, and probably a ton of isekai's that I will never watch. Just because a few shounens, series that are demographically aimed at younger boys and therefor may lack mature themes sometimes, often have a righteous protagonist does not mean that's how all anime generally are these days.
@famservice

I neveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer said so, omg!!!
1 hour ago

Jul 2013
Reply to Hiimoohiii
@DesuMaiden

You shouldn't use the most extreme example of the opposition to try to prove your point.
@Hiimoohiii and why would I want to do that?
1 hour ago

Sep 2016
Dragevard said:
Are you tired of the "perfect" protagonist trope?

Yes, very tired. There should be much more antiheros.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
54 minutes ago

Jul 2013
It is better to be a virtuous person than a pedo creep lol.
45 minutes ago

May 2018
As a matter of fact, I do appreciate protags that are morally grey or have moments of immorality... but it doesn't mean I'm sick of the goodie two shoes act. All I can ask for is more variety, creativity, and sincerity.

(also I feel the need to clarify that I despise "morally grey" protags that are creepy ass pedophiles... like rudeus or whatever his name is)
NoelleIsSleepy42 minutes ago
can't yuck my yum

16 minutes ago
Apr 2013
Reply to Hiimoohiii
@famservice

@Hiimoohiii Sorry to interrupt your flow, mate, but 'good' is a rather subjective matter. While there are aspects about Vinland Saga which I think are really strong, I am also not surprised that I think Vinland Saga is at its weakest in the phase where Thorfinn is the modern edgy annoying runt. Season 1 was for me enjoyable because Askeladd existed who, while certainly using dirty tactics etc. still had a noble core to his character. And well, Season 2 had no enemies. Guess what, Thorfinn found his noble core, and that is what made that season good.
CCM and SnK are way worse, at least in my eyes. Even in the first season Eren already had flaws showing up left and right, so that the ending wasn't even surprising for me, but in the same time I found him (and frankly, the whole show) boring and uninspiring, even though I was in the closest to what I'd call my own edgy phase back then. However, SnK at least managed to keep me to the end of its first season, CCM didn't even manage to do that. The only quality Denji really exhibits in the first six episodes is horniness. Not that I dislike Ecchi anime, I enjoyed To Love-Ru and High School DxD, but that boy as a character felt to me so empty as people claim Emiya Shirou to be.

Also, I find your second sentence kind of flawed. How is anything there supposed to prove anything? And the fact that shows like HeroAca kept high watch numbers for at least a few seasons shows that people still watch heroic characters. Up to Season 3 (the first weaker one), we still had 2 million entries. Thats a whole lot. The first season with over 3 million is only 75% of SnK and Death Note, which are the most popular anime on this site.
11 minutes ago
May 2023
This is why people love characters like Kazuma (Konosuba)

More topics from this board

» Hated characters that you love + those whose phenomenon you don't understand

Doriss - 50 minutes ago

3 by Anjuro »»
48 seconds ago

Poll: » Petition To Animate *Actually* Good Anime Instead of Random Isekai Copypastas

Hiimoohiii - Yesterday

47 by Play2X »»
2 minutes ago

» Who is the worst protagonist of all anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Skylar-whoo - Today

111 by ShatteredSans »»
8 minutes ago

» Are you into demon girls?

Osamunau - Jul 17

37 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Toei is Screwing Up Big Time ( 1 2 3 )

Hiimoohiii - Yesterday

105 by DesuMaiden »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.