Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 8:54 AM
Jul 2019
I just got home from the cinema (Norway) after watching the movie, and I don't know if this was a local issue, or an issue with the actual film distributed by Crunchyroll, but the subs were absolutely awful. The text was constantly overlapping other text, the timing of the subs to the lines was all over the place, and at one point it was just the same line stuck during a whole minute of dialogue. I imagine this must be absolutely detrimental for your experience if you don't know Japanese and rely on the subs, so I was wondering if this was just an issue at my local cinema, or if this is something that others have witnessed as well.
Jun 1, 9:16 AM
Oct 2022
I watched in cinema too but in Poland and everything was good. Even once when there was something important at the place where subs were, the subs were moved to the right. Maybe that's only a certain cinema issue.
Jun 1, 9:24 AM
Feb 2024
That’s really awful, I’m sorry that was your experience. I also watched yesterday, and the subs were perfectly fine. Maybe try emailing the theater to get a refund or discount for your next movie? It was a really good movie, it’s a shame you couldn’t fully enjoy it because of a mistake on their end.
Jun 1, 9:28 AM
Jul 2019
Ahhhh, that's good to hear! I assumed that this was an issue on Crunchyroll's end (they don't really have the best track record when it comes to the quality of the subs, but I was expecting more from a theatrical release), but I was surprised that I didn't see anyone else discussing this. I'll try to email the cinema to ask for a refund. I'm going to see the movie again with some friends next week, but they don't know any Japanese, so if this was an issue with the film file itself, I would have advised my friends to wait until they could see it with proper subs. We're going to a different cinema then, so hopefully there'll be no issues! Thanks for clarifying :D
Jun 1, 10:22 AM
Feb 2024
No problem! I hope you and your friends have a great time!!!
Jun 1, 10:27 AM
Jul 2023
The subs in England were really good. However, once a sub stayed on screen for a couple of minutes at the bottom of the screen, after it was said. But that didn’t matter as the other subs still popped up without any overlap.
Jun 1, 12:07 PM

Jul 2012
Just back from watching the movie in Gloucestershire (England) and my goodness, the English subs were atrocious. Like you said, they overlapped and were very fast at times (and I consider myself to be a quick reader, having read subtitles for over 15 years). They seemed intent on subtitling the background commentary (“don’t mind!”, “nice serve!”, etc) even when a character on screen is saying something more important and so it would flip past the important subtitling in favour of the less important lines.

And, as someone else mentioned, one sub got frozen fro a while whilst the characters were saying more lines. Japanese is my second language but the person I was with had no idea what was happening for a short while. Thankfully, it only happened once and the dialogue that was missed wasn’t very important.

The movie itself was amazing, but Crunchyroll really goofed on the subtitles.
Jun 1, 12:10 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to crazyanderewitch
That’s really awful, I’m sorry that was your experience. I also watched yesterday, and the subs were perfectly fine. Maybe try emailing the theater to get a refund or discount for your next movie? It was a really good movie, it’s a shame you couldn’t fully enjoy it because of a mistake on their end.
@crazyanderewitch I also wondered if it was a subtitle track that had been loaded wrong by the cinema but I think it was Crunchyroll that dropped the ball (get it?) with the subs. When the subs froze, I was so close to getting up and finding a staff member before it fixed itself.
Jun 1, 12:25 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to LadyMarble
Just back from watching the movie in Gloucestershire (England) and my goodness, the English subs were atrocious. Like you said, they overlapped and were very fast at times (and I consider myself to be a quick reader, having read subtitles for over 15 years). They seemed intent on subtitling the background commentary (“don’t mind!”, “nice serve!”, etc) even when a character on screen is saying something more important and so it would flip past the important subtitling in favour of the less important lines.

And, as someone else mentioned, one sub got frozen fro a while whilst the characters were saying more lines. Japanese is my second language but the person I was with had no idea what was happening for a short while. Thankfully, it only happened once and the dialogue that was missed wasn’t very important.

The movie itself was amazing, but Crunchyroll really goofed on the subtitles.
@LadyMarble This just confuses me so much more. Based on all the other replies, I was convinced it was just a problem caused by my local cinema, but what you're describing sounds like the exact same situation I was in. I assumed the subs were part of the picture, as opposed to it being layered on top of the image like it is on streaming services, but based on what the others were saying, I thought it must just be a separate file that comes with the movie file that the cinemas get? But if that's the case, then it's really weird that the same problem has occurred in completely different circumstances. It's also really hard to imagine that they have several different files that they send out, some of which have terrible subs.

Bottom line; I'm confused
Jun 1, 2:07 PM
Feb 2024
Maybe both of you went to the same cinema? (That would be a funny coincidence, though it’s really sad that both of you had this issue. It’s really frustrating when that happens)
I definitely recommend that both of you send emails to the cinema for a refund or extra benefits next time though
Jun 1, 3:28 PM
Nov 2022
Im from America and saw the movie on the 30th, our subs were awful too. I actually wanted to throw hands /hj. they only showed asahi’s introduction subtitles for half a second and there was a sub that was on screen mid-game for a minute and a half. It was a great movie, but jesus christ, they need to fire whoever did the movie subs. Im also pretty sure they spelt kuroos name wrong in different spots.
Jun 1, 7:41 PM

Jul 2012
Maybe both of you went to the same cinema? (That would be a funny coincidence, though it’s really sad that both of you had this issue. It’s really frustrating when that happens)
I definitely recommend that both of you send emails to the cinema for a refund or extra benefits next time though
@crazyanderewitch That would be a coincidence but Herman97 says they’re from Norway and I’m from England, so that can’t be the case. The cinema chain I went to is Cineworld, do they have those in Norway?

@karrai That sounds like what I saw. I have to say, I didn’t pay attention to when Kuroo should be Kuro and vice versa though.

Ah, now I wish I had booked to see the movie twice just to see if the same subtitle problems persisted (and watch the epic movie again, of course).
Jun 1, 8:41 PM
Nov 2022
LadyMarble said:
@crazyanderewitch That would be a coincidence but Herman97 says they’re from Norway and I’m from England, so that can’t be the case. The cinema chain I went to is Cineworld, do they have those in Norway?

@karrai That sounds like what I saw. I have to say, I didn’t pay attention to when Kuroo should be Kuro and vice versa though.

Ah, now I wish I had booked to see the movie twice just to see if the same subtitle problems persisted (and watch the epic movie again, of course).

Can you not watch it again?
Jun 1, 9:00 PM
Apr 2021
karrai said:
Im from America and saw the movie on the 30th, our subs were awful too. I actually wanted to throw hands /hj. they only showed asahi’s introduction subtitles for half a second and there was a sub that was on screen mid-game for a minute and a half. It was a great movie, but jesus christ, they need to fire whoever did the movie subs. Im also pretty sure they spelt kuroos name wrong in different spots.

kuroo’s name was probably spelled differently at times bc kenma pronounces his name differently, calling him ‘kuro’ (short o sound).

i saw the movie in canada and as someone who has read the manga there was one very bad translation error (or weirdly not keeping similar dialogue in one scene) but i thought the subbing was decent.
Jun 1, 9:08 PM
Nov 2022
icouldntbeyahoo said:
karrai said:

kuroo’s name was probably spelled differently at times bc kenma pronounces his name differently, calling him ‘kuro’ (short o sound).

i saw the movie in canada and as someone who has read the manga there was one very bad translation error (or weirdly not keeping similar dialogue in one scene) but i thought the subbing was decent.

It wasnr kenma calling him kuro, ik he calls him kuro, its everyone else calling him kuro in the subs 😭
Jun 1, 10:24 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to LadyMarble

@LadyMarble Nah, we don’t have that here. The cinema I went to was one of the few independent cinemas left in Norway, since I wanted to support them for screening a film that they normally wouldn’t.
Jun 2, 9:34 AM
Nov 2022
Herman97 said:
@LadyMarble Nah, we don’t have that here. The cinema I went to was one of the few independent cinemas left in Norway, since I wanted to support them for screening a film that they normally wouldn’t.

Ah, i see, that sucks. But at least the movie itself was awesome!!
Jun 2, 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
Just saw the movie here in the US, and yup this happened to me too. I consider myself pretty good at reading overlapping subs, so I didn't really have a problem following the dialogue when lines would overlap. But, it was weird how when the subs for a short background line would disappear before the subs for the more significant line, both of them would disappear entirely instead of just the shorter line. So now the longer line continues without any subs at all which would definitely be problematic for some viewers. And yea I also noticed one line that was stuck on the screen for a while. Whoever is in charge of this stuff needs to be better. Still a fire movie though.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 2, 11:37 PM

Sep 2022
There were issues here and there. Definitely had that one line stuck for a while. Multiple times where the subs went away way too early.
Jun 3, 12:11 AM

Jul 2012
Reply to karrai
LadyMarble said:

@karrai
karrai said:
It was only showing Saturday and Sunday in my local cinema. Anime movies only ever get two day showings, if we get them at all.

Looking at some other replies, it seems that my experience in England and Herman97’s in Norway wasn’t isolated cases.
Jun 3, 11:44 AM

Aug 2015
The same -one line being stuck- issue happened here, in The Netherlands. It bothered me, but it was not too horrible. The Kuro/Kuroo issue was also there.

If anything what ruined my experience was a group of guys talking through the whole movie. Why can't people stay silent in the cinema's :')
Jun 3, 1:38 PM
Jul 2019
Watched it again today at a different cinema, and there were absolutely no issues this thime around. Not even the minor ones that I’ve seen some people here mention.
Jun 3, 8:27 PM
Nov 2010
I just got home from watching the movie here in Brazil and my friends and I also had a weird feeling about the subs in general. We also had the Kuro/Kuroo issue, Yamaguchi's name became Aogachi/something like this???, some sentences that didn't seem to make much sense, the "out of the camera/background speaking characters" subs being more prominent than the "on camera speaking characters" subs & they also changed some volleyball terms from how they had previously translated through the whole anime series on Crunchyroll (ex: "ace" to "MVP"; KageHina's signature quick move). 2 of my friends also said they felt that the subs were out of time too (I didn't notice but maybe I was distracted) at certain times. Honestly I'm used to not having the best time with anime movie subs at the cinema (brought by Crunchyroll or not), but I fear this one was on another level.
Jun 5, 12:16 AM

Jul 2012
Reply to Herman97
Watched it again today at a different cinema, and there were absolutely no issues this thime around. Not even the minor ones that I’ve seen some people here mention.
@Herman97 That just confuses me more!

Maybe your theory of there being multiple files for the subs is correct and some cinemas got the messed up version? Really odd though. You think there would be one version of the subs for each language but there seems to be more than one version of the English subs, a good one and a bad one. Perhaps the bad one was a draft they sent out by mistake?
Jun 5, 12:46 AM
Jul 2019
Reply to LadyMarble
@Herman97 That just confuses me more!

Maybe your theory of there being multiple files for the subs is correct and some cinemas got the messed up version? Really odd though. You think there would be one version of the subs for each language but there seems to be more than one version of the English subs, a good one and a bad one. Perhaps the bad one was a draft they sent out by mistake?
@LadyMarble I have no idea at this point, honestly. My best guess is that the subs is just a separate file that is overlayed on the video file, and that it has a tendency to get jumbled whenever it's played for some reason. At this point I'm just glad my friends got to see it with proper subs.
Jun 5, 11:47 PM

Jul 2020
I had the same experience described here on opening day in Australia.
Jun 6, 11:04 AM

Jan 2020
i had no problem while watching it in sweden
Jun 6, 1:42 PM
Jul 2019
@crazyanderewitch Just got the ticket refunded, thanks for the suggestion!
Jun 6, 1:50 PM
Feb 2024
Herman97 said:
@crazyanderewitch Just got the ticket refunded, thanks for the suggestion!

🥳🥳🥳 go you!! I’m glad you were able to get your ticket refunded. Hopefully you’ll be able to rewatch the movie sometime with proper subs!

More topics from this board

» Whats Next? don't read it, when anime only!

Kuraikosama - Jul 6

6 by shinoikawa »»
Jul 16, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Movie: Gomisuteba no Kessen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Usopp8000 - Mar 11

65 by coffee_maker12 »»
Jul 4, 10:00 PM

» Never seen Haikyuu!! before, should I watch this?

Riiken - Jun 1

15 by stns27 »»
Jul 4, 2:26 PM

» Is it available on streaming website's yet

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Jun 3

8 by tfiamnotaweeb »»
Jun 14, 2:15 PM

» Is there a remote chance of a new season or a 3rd movie?

Quequel - Jun 6

6 by Lightsrevenge »»
Jun 11, 2:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.